BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-05-2024, 08:45 AM   #1
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

Eventuri Intake Owners - Notice any gas smell?

I'll start of saying that I absolutely LOVE this intake. The sound it makes just adds so much to the overall driving experience.

This past weekend i took my buddy out for the first time showing him the intake and he's one of those people that has a very sensitive sense of smell. The instant I get on the throttle and let off producing the awesome intake blow off whoosh sound he smelled some gas fumes. Under normal driving its not there but the moment the bypass valves blows off he smells it.

Now after he pointed it out I too smell it and it all makes sense now that I've noticed it time to time but always thought it was coming from other cars around me. There is no smell under light throttle or if the car is idling. My engine bay does not smell like gas so I don't think its leaking fuel etc...

It makes sense given that the system is drawing air right at the base of the windshield where the cars ventilation system also taking air in so my theory is that when you are hard on the throttle and let off there is some fumes making its way out of intake system briefly. I am wondering if this is the reason why the M5 has an additional charcoal filter screen within the intake system and if something like that would help if it was attached at the intake opening?

Thanks,
Alan
      02-05-2024, 04:33 PM   #2
crazyinp
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2022 BMW X5e  [0.00]
2023 BMW X5M  [0.00]
Oh man! that would have been deal breaker for me, if wife notice it. I have been debating between Dinan and Eventuri. Hands down Eventuri looks and feels like well better build but I am waiting to see if any of them will get the CARB as I am not risking it in CA and don't want to remove it for inspection. Thanks for the honest feedback!
Appreciate 2
      02-06-2024, 09:27 PM   #3
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan l. View Post
I'll start of saying that I absolutely LOVE this intake. The sound it makes just adds so much to the overall driving experience.

This past weekend i took my buddy out for the first time showing him the intake and he's one of those people that has a very sensitive sense of smell. The instant I get on the throttle and let off producing the awesome intake blow off whoosh sound he smelled some gas fumes. Under normal driving its not there but the moment the bypass valves blows off he smells it.

Now after he pointed it out I too smell it and it all makes sense now that I've noticed it time to time but always thought it was coming from other cars around me. There is no smell under light throttle or if the car is idling. My engine bay does not smell like gas so I don't think its leaking fuel etc...

It makes sense given that the system is drawing air right at the base of the windshield where the cars ventilation system also taking air in so my theory is that when you are hard on the throttle and let off there is some fumes making its way out of intake system briefly. I am wondering if this is the reason why the M5 has an additional charcoal filter screen within the intake system and if something like that would help if it was attached at the intake opening?

Thanks,
Alan
That’s the main purpose of enclosed air intake system with Charcoal.
Too avoid any blowby gas or oil fumes.
That’s also the reason diverter valve or blow-off valve have to re-circulate the air into a closed air intake system.

Because a lot of demand on the whoosh intake sound, to create somewhat open air intake closer to the driver will allow you to hear it.

I never smell it, could be because my AC air circulation is set to auto and always closed because of poor LA air?

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyinp View Post
Oh man! that would have been deal breaker for me, if wife notice it. I have been debating between Dinan and Eventuri. Hands down Eventuri looks and feels like well better build but I am waiting to see if any of them will get the CARB as I am not risking it in CA and don't want to remove it for inspection. Thanks for the honest feedback!
Not a lot of people willing to pay CARB. It is a money pit.
A few manufacturers told me that they have been pouring money and waited for few years, and yet no CARB certification.
They only gets promised, soon.
Also, with that, less and less aftermarket products are offered in California. Only the boring one.
Lots of people ended up crossing the borders to purchase them.
Unless you are keeping your car 7-8 years, I wouldn’t worry about getting inspection.
Even if you are, this intake are easy to install and remove.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2024, 10:12 PM   #4
crazyinp
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW X5e  [0.00]
2023 BMW X5M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by r33_RGSport View Post
Not a lot of people willing to pay CARB. It is a money pit.
A few manufacturers told me that they have been pouring money and waited for few years, and yet no CARB certification.
They only gets promised, soon.
Also, with that, less and less aftermarket products are offered in California. Only the boring one.
Lots of people ended up crossing the borders to purchase them.
Unless you are keeping your car 7-8 years, I wouldn’t worry about getting inspection.
Even if you are, this intake are easy to install and remove.
I don’t disagree, but in Bay Area cops have become more aggressive. They are after loud exhaust and any modified car/motorcycles. For me is more of a look don’t really care about performance. Dinan supposedly is waiting on CARB certification. Apparently CarBahn is working on their own kit, and my assumption Steve being in CA would apply for one. Hell at the end I might just buy OEM Carbon engine cover and call it off
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12971.00
      02-07-2024, 08:44 AM   #5
Alan l.
Major General
Rep

I just ordered some universal charcoal filter material on amazon for about $15 that people use for their home and going to add a layer of it over the exterior air intake vent for the cars ventilation system located right under the cowl on the passenger side. If thats not enough i might just throw a layer of that right on the mesh grill on the Eventuri to see if it solves it.
      02-07-2024, 08:45 AM   #6
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Quote:
I don’t disagree, but in Bay Area cops have become more aggressive. They are after loud exhaust and any modified car/motorcycles. For me is more of a look don’t really care about performance. Dinan supposedly is waiting on CARB certification. Apparently CarBahn is working on their own kit, and my assumption Steve being in CA would apply for one. Hell at the end I might just buy OEM Carbon engine cover and call it off
Those 2 mods won’t catch cops eyes and ears unless you drive your car like you stole it.
Maybe need to switch to XM where you can switch to EV when cops nearby.
That’s what I do, drive on electric when I see cops following me. Lol.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2024, 03:52 PM   #7
crazyinp
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW X5e  [0.00]
2023 BMW X5M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by r33_RGSport View Post
Those 2 mods won’t catch cops eyes and ears unless you drive your car like you stole it.
Maybe need to switch to XM where you can switch to EV when cops nearby.
That’s what I do, drive on electric when I see cops following me. Lol.
haha thanks for the suggestion, I don't think anything louder than current would pass the wife test.
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12971.00
      02-07-2024, 04:21 PM   #8
MC2002X5MC
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5MC

Quote:
Yes, Carbahn is finalizing their own intake now, though I don't know about CARB cert. They use my F95 as their dev vehicle and already dry fitted the proto to my car a couple weeks ago. I have the Eventuri and love it. No gas smell that I have noticed so far. I also have Carbahn's full Power Pack 2 with Stage 3 software (725WHP dyno verified), and Carbahn's Ti exhaust.
Appreciate 2
      02-08-2024, 02:03 AM   #9
ipayincash
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5Mc

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC2002X5MC View Post
Yes, Carbahn is finalizing their own intake now, though I don't know about CARB cert. They use my F95 as their dev vehicle and already dry fitted the proto to my car a couple weeks ago. I have the Eventuri and love it. No gas smell that I have noticed so far. I also have Carbahn's full Power Pack 2 with Stage 3 software (725WHP dyno verified), and Carbahn's Ti exhaust.
How do you like the Power pack 2 stage 3 software ? Was considering it myself, any videos anywhere with sound ?
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2024, 02:46 PM   #10
MC2002X5MC
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipayincash View Post
How do you like the Power pack 2 stage 3 software ? Was considering it myself, any videos anywhere with sound ?
I love the whole set up, intake, exhaust and tune are great. I don't have any videos uploaded, but it is the same exact system as Steve Dinan's M8 setup (except for the Eventuri intake). Lots of videos available to hear that beast.
Appreciate 2
      02-09-2024, 04:34 PM   #11
voidtrance
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5M Comp

Quote:
I just ordered some universal charcoal filter material on amazon for about $15 that people use for their home and going to add a layer of it over the exterior air intake vent for the cars ventilation system located right under the cowl on the passenger side. If thats not enough i might just throw a layer of that right on the mesh grill on the Eventuri to see if it solves it.
Just a word of caution on the charcoal from Amazon. A lot of those are acid-washed/activated and it ends up corroding metal parts. I do some 3D printing and we use activated carbon to filter ABS fumes. Plenty of people used the Amazon-bought carbon and ended up with rusting 3D printers.

Before you put it in your 100K car, make sure that it's not acid-washed.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2024, 08:27 AM   #12
Alan l.
Major General
Rep

Thanks for the heads up. I assume there needs to be physical contact with the charcoal sheet for that to happen?

I added a piece of this to both intake inlets by the windshield and seems to help. Still smell it with the windows open and if I am hard on the throttle and let off. Not as strong and doesn’t really impact the sound.

Alan
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2024, 10:35 AM   #13
voidtrance
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5M Comp

Quote:
Thanks for the heads up. I assume there needs to be physical contact with the charcoal sheet for that to happen?

I added a piece of this to both intake inlets by the windshield and seems to help. Still smell it with the windows open and if I am hard on the throttle and let off. Not as strong and doesn’t really impact the sound.

Alan
No, no physical contact required. Any metal part that is in the same volume/air space as the carbon might rust. The charcoal in 3d printers is usually inside a filter that is mounted somewhere inside the build volume to filter VOCs from the printed plastic. So, there is no contact with any metal parts.

I don't know exactly how it works (not a chemist) but I've seen many pictures of entire 3d printers full of rusted linear rails due to this.
Appreciate 0