nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJC View Post
Hmm, something must be off with my car. There is absolutely no resistance when I take off the pedal. Feels just like coasting on ICE...
what drive mode? Hybrid Eco Pro in particular doesn’t have any regeneration when coasting (unless there’s a car in front of you). when you look in the Energy Flow screen, when you release the accelerator pedal, the screen states “Coasting: rolling freely”. in all other drive modes, it states “Charging: charging battery”
Appreciate 1
RJC180.00
      12-17-2022, 09:26 AM   #68
RJC
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5 xDrive45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by nZtiZia View Post
what drive mode? Hybrid Eco Pro in particular doesn’t have any regeneration when coasting, only when braking. when you look in the Energy Flow screen, when you release the accelerator pedal, the screen states “Coasting: rolling freely”. in all other drive modes, it states “Charging: charging battery”
We normally drive in electric individual. I think the box for Hybrid Eco Pro is clicked in that submenu though. Should I unclick?
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2022, 09:35 AM   #69
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJC View Post
We normally drive in electric individual. I think the box for Hybrid Eco Pro is clicked in that submenu though. Should I unclick?
I default to Electric Individual, so you should feel some resistance when coasting. maybe you’re used to that feeling with the Tesla and haven’t adjusted to the 45e’s feeling so try toggling between Electric and Hybrid Eco Pro to appreciate the difference when coasting.

I don’t recall Hybrid Eco Pro being a submenu item within the Electric Individual settings, though I could be wrong. I know there are a few items to individualize in the Electric Individual settings, but I don’t remember them off the top of my head. I believe I have them all checked, though
Appreciate 1
RJC180.00
      01-31-2024, 08:44 AM   #70
45e
Rep
Drives: BMW 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by ketrab View Post
Interested to hear suggestion if someone owns phev and 90-95% driving is done on electric. Would you still try to change it every 5-10k or longer?

Additionally is there a way to see how many miles you have done with electric vs ice i.e till the next service cycle?
To see the number of miles run on electric only, press BC button on steering column, to cycle odometer readings.

I bought 2022 45e 18 months ago and got oil change alert at 19000km, even on mostly electric driving. Even in a can, oil has a limited shelf life. In a car, same applies. When engine runs, metal shavings from engine wear reduce the oil shelf life and therefore efficacy as metal and dirt blocks the filter eventually from oil transport, reducing flow rate and hence cooling efficiency. When the car is moving, oil is also moving in the engine, even when engine is not running, as is the case on electric mode. If oil not changed, eventually piston rings will get affected from dirt build up, engine will run hotter, oil will get in combustion chamber, exhaust color and temperature will change, emissions will get more dangerous, as if not bad already on petrol lol.

I charge it every day almost - about 5 times a week. At max charge used to run about 82km when new. These days runs at 55km on full charge. I drive on electric mode only, my daily drive is about 50km average. When I'm at shops and a charger is available then charge, otherwise mostly charge at home from solar panels and wind/water turbines. Am working on a compost/methane fueled generator this year. I filled up fuel about 5 times last year to extend range when driving interstate or some place longer than 100km away. The beauty of hybrid is alternate fuel backup.

I heard 50e comes with 100km range and charges at 32A so will pick that up in 2 months. 45e is now for sale offers
Attached Images

Last edited by 45e; 01-31-2024 at 09:05 AM.. Reason: model update
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2024, 10:01 AM   #71
eelnoraa
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45e View Post
To see the number of miles run on electric only, press BC button on steering column, to cycle odometer readings.

I bought 2022 45e 18 months ago and got oil change alert at 19000km, even on mostly electric driving. Even in a can, oil has a limited shelf life. In a car, same applies. When engine runs, metal shavings from engine wear reduce the oil shelf life and therefore efficacy as metal and dirt blocks the filter eventually from oil transport, reducing flow rate and hence cooling efficiency. When the car is moving, oil is also moving in the engine, even when engine is not running, as is the case on electric mode. If oil not changed, eventually piston rings will get affected from dirt build up, engine will run hotter, oil will get in combustion chamber, exhaust color and temperature will change, emissions will get more dangerous, as if not bad already on petrol lol.

I charge it every day almost - about 5 times a week. At max charge used to run about 82km when new. These days runs at 55km on full charge. I drive on electric mode only, my daily drive is about 50km average. When I'm at shops and a charger is available then charge, otherwise mostly charge at home from solar panels and wind/water turbines. Am working on a compost/methane fueled generator this year. I filled up fuel about 5 times last year to extend range when driving interstate or some place longer than 100km away. The beauty of hybrid is alternate fuel backup.

I heard 50e comes with 100km range and charges at 32A so will pick that up in 2 months. 45e is now for sale offers
Com'on, this cannot be further from how engine works, and further from how engine oil works.
davchr82.00
tooloud10786.00
      01-31-2024, 10:17 AM   #72
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by eelnoraa View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 45e View Post

Com'on, this cannot be further from how engine works, and further from how engine oil works.
45e I also change the oil according to the maintenance schedule despite driving in electric mode >75% throughout the year.

I’m no mechanic, but your statement (bolded above) struck me as questionable and is the first time I’ve heard of such an operation. given eelnoraa background, I feel he’s more than qualified to ridicule your statement.

interested in hearing you elaborate more on the topic
Appreciate 1
tooloud10786.00
      01-31-2024, 01:11 PM   #73
tooloud10
Captain
Rep
Drives: '08 M3 convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by nZtiZia View Post
45e I also change the oil according to the maintenance schedule despite driving in electric mode >75% throughout the year.
Agreed, if you’ve ever been part of a conversation with BMWNA where they request the service records of your vehicle in order to determine whether they’re going to cover your engine replacement under warranty, you’d laugh at the idea of not going along with the machine’s recommendation.
      01-31-2024, 02:13 PM   #74
JMD
MGySgt
United_States
Rep
Drives: See Garage List! ;-)

Garage List
2010 M5  [10.00]
2016 BMW 340xi M Sport  [9.00]
2019 X5 50i M Sport  [5.50]
2010 535xi  [0.00]
2013 M5  [0.00]
2012 X5 M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by volodp View Post
If I'm not mistaken, the car will make you change engine oil every 365 days even if you don't drive it at all and I think this is exactly what most 45e owners will have to do unless hitting the mileage interval sooner using ICE.

Another thing is brake pads. These should last forever (well, almost). But probably the car will tell you they need to be replaced anyway after xx thousand km or miles even if most of your braking is regenerative without using brake pads/rotors. And I don't think that they will tell you "nah, they're still good, come back again in half a year" when you drive in to have the brakes serviced...
Also, if bought under CPO, the oil change is required either every 12 months or as based on use as indicated in the iDrive for oil change status. So, even if it just sits there or just has some 500 miles on the current oil, BMW requires the oil be changed within 12 months.