BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

12-02-2018, 03:34 PM   #1
wanderlustX5
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 2019

Real life review of off-road package on 2019 BMW X5

I am in the final stages of buying the new X5 with an off-road package. We live in the Pacific Northwest where we value off road capabilities and performance over luxury. When we heard about the off road reviews of this new X5 everywhere, we decided X5 might be a better choice than a Subaru or Land Rover. However, the expert reviews are often paid reviews. therefore I am looking for real life customer reviews on the Off Road capability which includes AWD, driving on bumpy forest seevice roads and snow/ice covered roads in the mountains. We have a Mon-Fri work commute but weekends are outdoors in the mountains or on the coast. I would really appreciate the reviews.

Thank you

WanderlustMD
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2018, 03:39 PM   #2
jra0113
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 xDrive 50i

If you don't care about luxury why not a Toyota Tacoma
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2018, 03:43 PM   #3
ILM_X5
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 M60i

So you already either ordered it or are renounced to buying one, but you're soliciting reviews?
      12-02-2018, 03:57 PM   #4
lumpydog
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlustMD View Post
I am in the final stages of buying the new X5 with an off-road package. We live in the Pacific Northwest where we value off road capabilities and performance over luxury. When we heard about the off road reviews of this new X5 everywhere, we decided X5 might be a better choice than a Subaru or Land Rover. However, the expert reviews are often paid reviews. therefore I am looking for real life customer reviews on the Off Road capability which includes AWD, driving on bumpy forest seevice roads and snow/ice covered roads in the mountains. We have a Mon-Fri work commute but weekends are outdoors in the mountains or on the coast. I would really appreciate the reviews.

Thank you

WanderlustMD
I’ve owned Land Rovers and BMWs. BMW is merely checking the box on off-road capability with the 2019 X5. Yes, it can go “off road” on level fields and maintained carriage roads. No, it won’t come close to being able to handle anything more. But, that covers about 99% of what you will likely drive on.

If you are the 1% that really do go off road with your truck, get a Jeep, Land Rover or one of the pickup truck-chassied rigs sold by Toyota or the big pickup manufacturers.
Appreciate 2
Tenac4504.50
      12-02-2018, 04:42 PM   #5
wanderlustX5
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpydog View Post
I’ve owned Land Rovers and BMWs. BMW is merely checking the box on off-road capability with the 2019 X5. Yes, it can go “off road” on level fields and maintained carriage roads. No, it won’t come close to being able to handle anything more. But, that covers about 99% of what you will likely drive on.

If you are the 1% that really do go off road with your truck, get a Jeep, Land Rover or one of the pickup truck-chassied rigs sold by Toyota or the big pickup manufacturers.
No I am not going to be taking it to a rocky mountain trail or cross a creek. Being an avid hiker, I am usually going to trailheads which are often on unmaintained foresr roads. I did not like the drive on Range Rover Velar which I was considering first. The drive and performance of X5 is just great.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2018, 04:43 PM   #6
wanderlustX5
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jra0113 View Post
If you don't care about luxury why not a Toyota Tacoma
I didn’t say I dont care about luxury. It’s not among the top three reasons but definitely in the top 5 reasons.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2018, 04:47 PM   #7
wanderlustX5
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLT_X5 View Post
So you already either ordered it or are renounced to buying one, but you're soliciting reviews?
I have placed a security deposit and it wont arrive until two weeks. None of the dealers have an off road package X5 in our area.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2018, 04:53 PM   #8
ILM_X5
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 M60i

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLT_X5 View Post
I have placed a security deposit and it wont arrive until two weeks. None of the dealers have an off road package X5 in our area.
I would be interested to hear your opinion of the difference in ride with and without the package.

That was an option that had too high of a cost for me to add to my build without sufficient info.
      12-02-2018, 05:04 PM   #9
misterburns
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X5 - F15

Get one of the new Land Rover Discovery’s. They are very luxurious but still off road monsters. Velars are very different than the Disco’s.

Problem solved.
Appreciate 2
ILM_X5206.50
lumpydog690.50
      12-02-2018, 06:46 PM   #10
wanderlustX5
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterburns View Post
Get one of the new Land Rover Discovery’s. They are very luxurious but still off road monsters. Velars are very different than the Disco’s.

Problem solved.
The problem starts after buying a Land Rover haha. Their reliability rating is one of the lowest among luxury cars. My UK friend who is a traveling photographer said people complain about them breaking down often.
Appreciate 1
Atoll3.00
      12-02-2018, 06:59 PM   #11
lumpydog
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterburns View Post

Problem solved.
A very good off-roader for sure. That one is capable of a lot. Not as great as some of its predecessors but in today’s off-road company, represents well.

Quote:
The problem starts after buying a Land Rover haha. Their reliability rating is one of the lowest among luxury cars. My UK friend who is a traveling photographer said people complain about them breaking down often.
Yup. Can’t argue that. Most Rover owners will acknowledge poor reliability... but they value the over engineered ability to go almost anywhere... Trade offs....

It sounds like the X5 will handle what you would throw at it. Don’t get me wrong, these trucks can put in some hard labor, more so than most would think. My E70 has not seen lite use. I don’t take it off road but I do expect it to tow and haul a lot. I do expect it to be fun as hell to drive. The 2019 X5 is a pretty interesting example with regard to range... based on what I’ve seen, it can hold its own off pavement and is among the best on pavement. Pretty respectable.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2018, 07:50 PM   #12
wanderlustX5
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

The Remarkable Journey of the All-New BMW X5

This YOUTUBE video answers lot of my questions!

BMW USA
Published on Nov 29, 2018

How do you transport the All-New BMW X5 from the factory in Spartanburg to the LA Auto Show? You don’t. It’s much more fun to drive. That’s why we drove it for 3,027 miles, across 11 states, in a straight line and took no detours. Well, almost no detours. A truly remarkable journey in a truly remarkable vehicle.

Hard to believe?
You haven’t met the All-New X5. Until now.

Appreciate 2
      04-30-2019, 07:22 PM   #13
jggross
Registered
Rep
Drives: X5

Wanderlust

Any update on the X5 off road package. Is it what you expected?
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2019, 01:21 PM   #14
wanderlustX5
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jggross View Post
Wanderlust

Any update on the X5 off road package. Is it what you expected?
Sorry I had gotten really busy with work and travels. I will post review and photos this weekend
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2019, 03:31 PM   #15
gofast182
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpydog View Post

I've driven a X5 on the off-road course at Spartanburg [in the rain] and while I realize that's a course purposely designed so the X5 can navigate it, it is MUCH more than level fields and carriage roads. A substitute for a body-on-frame vehicle with a true 4WD system, no, more capable than you realize, yes.
Appreciate 1
sygazelle11091.00
      05-02-2019, 04:39 PM   #16
Kotkot
Private
Rep
Drives: M4

Air suspension with significant ground clearanc and skid plates will take you most anywhere. Off-road driving skills matter quiet a lot as well
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2019, 08:18 PM   #17
deadlion
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 G05 40i MSport (PCD)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlustX5 View Post
This YOUTUBE video answers lot of my questions!

BMW USA
Published on Nov 29, 2018

How do you transport the All-New BMW X5 from the factory in Spartanburg to the LA Auto Show? You don’t. It’s much more fun to drive. That’s why we drove it for 3,027 miles, across 11 states, in a straight line and took no detours. Well, almost no detours. A truly remarkable journey in a truly remarkable vehicle.

Hard to believe?
You haven’t met the All-New X5. Until now.
The x5 in that spot was driven by Matt Mullins, Chief Driving Instructor. He was our instructor when we did PCD in Feb.
1990 BMW 735i
1984 BMW 533i (missing it)
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2019, 10:38 AM   #18
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport, 2019 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by gofast182 View Post
I've driven a X5 on the off-road course at Spartanburg [in the rain] and while I realize that's a course purposely designed so the X5 can navigate it, it is MUCH more than level fields and carriage roads. A substitute for a body-on-frame vehicle with a true 4WD system, no, more capable than you realize, yes.
I'm no off-road expert, but I was amazed how well the G05 handled the course at Spartanburg.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2019, 09:30 PM   #19
jggross
Registered
Rep
Drives: X5

Off Road and night vision

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlustX5 View Post
Sorry I had gotten really busy with work and travels. I will post review and photos this weekend
Any review and photos. Interested in the off road features and the night vision review too.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2019, 12:15 PM   #20
Pictor
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX xDrive50 & 2020 M850i

Garage List
Based on your description of off road and living in the PNW myself I think you'll be fine with the BMW X5. Tires are going to be the biggest issue in anything you'll likely do in the X5. Forest roads, mountain passes, and snow/ice covered roads to the ski resorts will be impacted by the tires more than anything else. Air suspension will help with the potholes, and the limited slip differential will help provide that extra bit of traction assuming the tires have grip (up slick roads).

The benefit of the Subaru is that it's a light car which helps overcome physics of driving on slick surfaces. They generally also have short wheel bases which helps "off-road". Good cars in our part of the country but they have really bad CVT transmissions.

The Land Rovers really just rely on their reputation of past models that where coil sprung and had solid axles with at least one (center) locking differential. Current Land Rovers are NOT off-road vehicles anymore despite their marketing. They do look good but you'll also get on a first name basis with your mechanic. As an aside, my mechanic appreciated gifts of Jack Daniels at Christmas and a box of donuts when I dropped the car off for service. Unless you're looking at the used Land Rover market (P38A Range Rover and earlier, a few years of the Discovery II that has the CDL, or pretty much any Land Rover pre-1999), I would say keep moving along as there are better options unless you're buying for the look and the name.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2019, 12:32 PM   #21
wanderlustX5
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Sorry I've been traveling in my X5 every weekend and keep forgetting to post review. Here are some photos. I have taken my X5 on ice covered mountain roads, graveled roads with significant washboarding, roads with potholes so huge that a Subaru can't go! Love the air suspension, my friend who drives a Subaru Outback said she couldn't feel the washboarding in the X5. On icy roads, tires matter. But I took chance driving up to Mount Rainier Paradise with all season tires. There was significant ice on roads as we gained elevation. The off-road modes work great. Have tested snow, gravel and rocks mode. The height adjustment and surround cameras are so helpful when navigating. I had to turn around on a forest road which was going uphill and it was narrow, I thanked the surround cameras at that time! I will post more photos later, there are more photos on my dslr camera.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2019, 12:34 PM   #22
wanderlustX5
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Photos
Attached Images

Appreciate 0