BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

10-29-2019, 10:02 PM   #1
mhodx5
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5 M50i ordered

Thinking about getting a spare set of rims and tires off eBay. Will the tire pressure monitoring system in the car work with any tire pressure sensor? How does it work? Is it basically like pairing your phone to the car? If so how do I pair it?
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2019, 08:09 AM   #2
wdlv
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhodx5 View Post
Thinking about getting a spare set of rims and tires off eBay. Will the tire pressure monitoring system in the car work with any tire pressure sensor? How does it work? Is it basically like pairing your phone to the car? If so how do I pair it?
The reset process happens through iDrive. Look for the car settings and look for the tires. The car must be turned on and not moving when the reset process occurs.

Find the reset process and then you start driving, while in motion your vehicle communicates with the TPMS sensors.

I believe the sensors must be 433Mhz, and note that they run on batteries and can fail. I had a set of wheels that we recently put on my wife's car after some time in storage but the batteries failed so the sensors will be replaced.

Hope, that helps.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2019, 11:09 AM   #3
mhodx5
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdlv View Post
Quote:
The reset process happens through iDrive. Look for the car settings and look for the tires. The car must be turned on and not moving when the reset process occurs.

Find the reset process and then you start driving, while in motion your vehicle communicates with the TPMS sensors.

I believe the sensors must be 433Mhz, and note that they run on batteries and can fail. I had a set of wheels that we recently put on my wife's car after some time in storage but the batteries failed so the sensors will be replaced.

Hope, that helps.
Yes it does. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2019, 01:31 PM   #4
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Quote:
They will work with many but not any TPM sensor. If you're going to select and buy on your own...then just simply look up the 11 digit BMW part nbr for the sensor using one of the online part database sites (like www.realoem.com). Use your VIN.

Then shop online using the 11 digit BMW part nbr (ie type BMW xx xx x xxx xxx {where x=the actual number) into a google search box or ebay or amazon.com.

There are aftermarket sensors that will work but may need to be "awakened" with a tool that many tire places have. Or if you order online, they may ask for your model/model year and send you the correct oe or oem sensors ready to work.
Attached Images

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

Last edited by Qsilver7; 10-30-2019 at 01:42 PM..
Appreciate 2
bhe104.50
mhodx5111.50
      10-30-2019, 02:43 PM   #5
mhodx5
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
Quote:
They will work with many but not any TPM sensor. If you're going to select and buy on your own...then just simply look up the 11 digit BMW part nbr for the sensor using one of the online part database sites (like www.realoem.com). Use your VIN.

Then shop online using the 11 digit BMW part nbr (ie type BMW xx xx x xxx xxx {where x=the actual number) into a google search box or ebay or amazon.com.

There are aftermarket sensors that will work but may need to be "awakened" with a tool that many tire places have. Or if you order online, they may ask for your model/model year and send you the correct oe or oem sensors ready to work.
Thanks so much this is very helpful!
Appreciate 0