BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-20-2020, 05:47 PM   #23
BeemerDreamerNYC
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Bmw

I've had my car (base X5 40i) or about a month so a relative newcomer. Overall very happy with the car!! Driving wise it is very smooth and comfortable, both on city streets and on the highway especially.

I have minor nits to pick on the electronics but to be honest compared to the Audi my mom drives it is night and day better. The driver protections, lane keep assist, etc can all be configured however you like in terms of tolerance and strength so I wouldn't let that keep you from the car. Overall I am impressed by the level of customization the electronics afford and the few irritants I end up with are when it is when I find a specific feature that I am not able to customize to the same extent. Most other cars give you none of the customization.

A few minor nits:

1) The auto zoom on the navigation is kind of useless as on the highway it zooms way out to give a total overview of the trip. Easily fixed by setting memory buttons to toggle between auto and manual zoom modes.

2) The heads up display is not visible with polarized sunglasses; not sure how that compares in other vehicles, solution is to wear different sunglasses.

3) Hard to toggle between the advanced driver assistance view in the dash (the one that shows the car's understanding of the traffic around the vehicle) and the standard map view in the dash, and I can't seem to set memory buttons for that setting. Not a huge deal but would make life easier with the bad auto-zoom setting in navigation. Otherwise this view is heads and shoulders better than what is available with most other adaptive cruise control systems which only show whether the system detects a vehicle in front of you or not.

4) It takes a couple of seconds to switch driver profiles or to exit from valet mode and the system feels like it is hanging a bit when doing so, rather than instantaneous.

Overall based on my limited impressions thus far I would easily recommend the car; the self-driving stuff is really cool and almost mind blowing, as is the self parking, and I am overall very happy with the car!
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2020, 08:27 AM   #24
OMGU812
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 M5

Had ours (50i) since November 2018. Fantastic vehicle. We shopped it against the Q8. In my opinion, the X5 is a much better vehicle in all respects. Yes, the software had a few bugs early on, but the latest versions are solid. If I had to nitpick I’d say that the Comfort ride setting is a bit “floaty”, but I’m partial to a firmer ride.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2020, 09:16 AM   #25
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHARMAATL View Post
I've had my X5 40i since May 2019. Since then, I've really only had one major issue. The Bowers and Wilkins system had a speaker with a distinct rattle in it after the volume went past 50%.

Had it checked out and they confirmed that it was actually 2 speakers with the rattle. They swapped out the speakers within a couple days. No issues since.

Something minor ever since I got upgraded to the newest software in October was that, when I move my car from Reverse to Drive, the camera no longer switches to a forward view. I've seen a thread about this, and I hope BMW gets this fixed.
Which speakers did you have a rattle in? I'm certain my rear speakers in the cargo area are a source of rattles.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2020, 10:23 AM   #26
plutnicki
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2024 M8C Coupe & 2019 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeemerDreamerNYC View Post
2) The heads up display is not visible with polarized sunglasses; not sure how that compares in other vehicles, solution is to wear different sunglasses.
Have you tried adjusting the angle and brightness of the HUD? I wear Maui Jim Polarized sunglasses and although the HUD is dimmer with the glasses on (obviously would be), this is the most viewable one of all the BMWs I've had with a HUD. I have no trouble reading it with my glasses on.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2020, 01:22 PM   #27
BeemerDreamerNYC
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by plutnicki View Post
Have you tried adjusting the angle and brightness of the HUD? I wear Maui Jim Polarized sunglasses and although the HUD is dimmer with the glasses on (obviously would be), this is the most viewable one of all the BMWs I've had with a HUD. I have no trouble reading it with my glasses on.
No, I’ll try it again and see. I also have a different pair of polarized sunglasses I can try. Thanks for the tip.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2020, 01:47 PM   #28
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by plutnicki View Post
Same - I wear Maui Jims and can still see the hud. Not as bright/clear as w/o glasses, but enough for me to still get what I need out of it.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2020, 11:08 PM   #29
mnx5er
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5 3.5i

I had a 2019 50i that was returned with trade assist due to issues. I bought a 40i instead and it also had some issues. I just traded that in for a 2020 40i.

It is early, but the 2020 just feels better with many of the initial kinks worked out. I would recommend the 2020, but I'm not a huge fan of the 2019 (at least the first 4-5 months).

Only thing my 2020 doesn't have is acoustic glass. My 2019 had it and I miss it.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2020, 05:00 AM   #30
RVAGuy
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘20 X5/M50i (ordered); &

Garage List
2014 BMW / 650  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnx5er View Post
I had a 2019 50i that was returned with trade assist due to issues. I bought a 40i instead and it also had some issues. I just traded that in for a 2020 40i.

It is early, but the 2020 just feels better with many of the initial kinks worked out. I would recommend the 2020, but I'm not a huge fan of the 2019 (at least the first 4-5 months).

Only thing my 2020 doesn't have is acoustic glass. My 2019 had it and I miss it.
It appears the 2019 initial software issues have been addressed with updates. It did get to point I was checking mfg date when considering 2019 resales.
Appreciate 0