BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

06-23-2020, 10:24 AM   #1
SWBOS
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Soon - X5 40i

"Trailer Mode" for Non-OEM hitch

Has anyone successfully had their dealer code their vehicle so that "Trailer Mode" shows up in iDrive when they've had a 3rd party hitch installed?

My area dealers wouldn't install anything 3rd party so I went with an independent installer (who did a great job by the way), but that leaves me with a whole lot of beeping and alerts when I'm carrying the bikes.

I've got a thread in the Coding forum to ask if anyone there has the coding parameters.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2020, 11:29 AM   #2
matthewk
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X6MC, 2022 M5C

My understanding is you need the trailer tow module for those features.

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/g...sav/1VnYlzhFJu
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2020, 05:18 PM   #3
James_G0540i
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 G05 40i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWBOS View Post
Has anyone successfully had their dealer code their vehicle so that "Trailer Mode" shows up in iDrive when they've had a 3rd party hitch installed?

My area dealers wouldn't install anything 3rd party so I went with an independent installer (who did a great job by the way), but that leaves me with a whole lot of beeping and alerts when I'm carrying the bikes.

I've got a thread in the Coding forum to ask if anyone there has the coding parameters.
When an after-factory tow hitch is installed, the vehicle needs to be coded for towing, which not only enables "Trailer Mode", but also integrates the tow-bar with the safety systems of the vehicle - including parking sensors, reversing camera, Dynamic Stability Control (DSC)..etc. The coding is quite complex, and from what I have read on other threads cannot be done via DIY coding.

This is a job best left to dealers. YES it will be expensive, but the electronics and safety systems in these cars are very sophisticated - and its not worth the complications, safety issues, or potential to impact your warranty by attempting to DIY.

I had the BMW OEM (after-factory) towing hitch. installed and coded by the dealer - all good.

Last edited by James_G0540i; 06-23-2020 at 07:54 PM..
Appreciate 1
JALS26.50
      01-11-2023, 07:39 AM   #4
Jcit
Private
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e M-Sport

Garage List
2024 BMW X5 50e  [0.00]
I have a 2019 BMW X5 40i with the 8SL option and had a Stealth Hitch installed with the passive harness. This did not require coding but does not integrate into the full iDrive system. I just wish we could get access to the Towing Mode button in iDrive to shut off the backup sensors. The warning sounds are super annoying when using reverse with my bike rack. I don't need any of the other features. In my old Audi I could mute the sensor alarms but I don't see how to do that in the BMW.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2023, 09:32 AM   #5
weinerbarn
Unapologetic Tool Hoarder
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M Competition

Yes it can be done. It's actually not that hard. Not sure it will help with your bike issue though. The tow mode is activated when you plug a trailer into the trailer/pollack connector and it detects a trailer attached.

This is the writeup I did a while ago for the wife's old X7.
https://www.bimmerfest.com/threads/x...-help.1399968/

Another from a member here.

https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1964995

Last edited by weinerbarn; 01-11-2023 at 09:40 AM..
Appreciate 1
Jcit51.00
      01-11-2023, 12:51 PM   #6
Jcit
Private
Rep

Garage List
2024 BMW X5 50e  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by weinerbarn View Post
Yes it can be done. It's actually not that hard. Not sure it will help with your bike issue though. The tow mode is activated when you plug a trailer into the trailer/pollack connector and it detects a trailer attached.
With the bike rack there is nothing to plug in to the electrical socket so it would not automatically jump into tow mode. I am ok with manually activating tow mode from iDrive but it is not available in the "settings" screen in my X5 because it did not come with the hitch installed. What I would like to do is activate the "Tow Mode" using the button in iDrive so it would disable the backup sensors when I go in reverse with the bike rack. I think I can do it with Bimmercode but i have not purchased the OBD11 hardware yet. Another option is to simply mute the sensor sounds when in reverse by clicking a button in iDrive but that does not appear possible. I was able to mute sensor alarms in my Q8 on the fly with Audi MMI which made it so much nicer.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2023, 01:13 PM   #7
weinerbarn
Unapologetic Tool Hoarder
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcit View Post
With the bike rack there is nothing to plug in to the electrical socket so it would not automatically jump into tow mode. I am ok with manually activating tow mode from iDrive but it is not available in the "settings" screen in my X5 because it did not come with the hitch installed. What I would like to do is activate the "Tow Mode" using the button in iDrive so it would disable the backup sensors when I go in reverse with the bike rack. I think I can do it with Bimmercode but i have not purchased the OBD11 hardware yet. Another option is to simply mute the sensor sounds when in reverse by clicking a button in iDrive but that does not appear possible. I was able to mute sensor alarms in my Q8 on the fly with Audi MMI which made it so much nicer.
You can also try toggling the "Intelligent Safety" button that looks like a car next to the hazard flasher button on the dash. That's a quick way to disable some the safety system/warnings. You may have to play around with the settings.
Appreciate 1
Jcit51.00
      01-11-2023, 02:24 PM   #8
Jcit
Private
Rep

Garage List
2024 BMW X5 50e  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by weinerbarn View Post
You can also try toggling the "Intelligent Safety" button that looks like a car next to the hazard flasher button on the dash. That's a quick way to disable some the safety system/warnings. You may have to play around with the settings.
That's a great idea. I will play around and see if the safety sensors can be muted with that button.

Also, in the manual (surprising I actually opened it) it says you can turn off PDC manually at any time by pressing the park assistance button (next to gear shifter) so it looks like it can be done that way.
Appreciate 1