BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

08-14-2020, 08:19 AM   #1
ddelX52019G05
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2019 X5 40i, Audi A7 2017

Android Digital Key - BMW giveth and BMW taketh away

I bought my BMW X5 with the understanding it supported Samsung Android Digital key capabilities, since taking delivery in November 2019 I've spent hours working with BMW service advisors, geniuses and telephone technical support to finally get it activated in March 2020. It's a great capability works well, is reliable and above all very convenient to use.

I was a little disappointed to learn it required an annual subscription of $20, after eight solid months of use which I paid ahead of my renewal date in November 2019. The renewal process was less than stellar, they took my $20 quickly, that part was easy. The transition to a new active key..well that took over three months, including wiping and reformatting my phone, many phone calls, emails, trips to the dealership and finally a conference call with a ConnectedDrive team member in NJ in conference with technicians in Germany to perform a remote reset of the key on my phone. So literally hours wasted, but in the end the key worked again. As compensation the technician offer me a free renewal of my "next" digital key when it expires in 2021.

While I'm happy to hear BMW and Apple have finally reached a way to offer the same capabilities to some X5 owners with recent builds, I was more than a little disappointed to receive the email below.

Really BMW? WTH! M#$%^!!!! I would like BMW continue to support this capability!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-14-2020, 08:27 AM   #2
Caramel
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: blue car, grey car, white bike

Sue them. Demand your money back - or nothing will happen.
Appreciate 1
BobTX10101.00
      08-14-2020, 08:49 AM   #3
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

From what I gather, this has to deal with BMW moving towards the NFC 1.5+ technology which at this time Android does not support.
Appreciate 3
ifr1196.50
volodp196.50
supdes48.00
      08-14-2020, 09:14 AM   #4
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Tesla MY LR AWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caramel View Post
Sue them. Demand your money back - or nothing will happen.
Sue them?? For what?? It's an annual sub service.

This is actually good news in the long run, although I can understand the frustration of Android owners.

As VTENGR said, by doing this they are standardising and potentially allowing older model car owners to use DK1.5. The retrofit coding is already in i-step 07/2020.

Currently only Apple devices support DK1.5, but hopefully Google will eventually support it too.
Appreciate 1
volodp196.50
      08-14-2020, 11:28 AM   #5
ddelX52019G05
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifr View Post
Sue them?? For what?? It's an annual sub service.

This is actually good news in the long run, although I can understand the frustration of Android owners.

As VTENGR said, by doing this they are standardising and potentially allowing older model car owners to use DK1.5. The retrofit coding is already in i-step 07/2020.

Currently only Apple devices support DK1.5, but hopefully Google will eventually support it too.
I am currently on version 07/2020.25 and while the capability to use the my digital phone key subscription needed the service department to perform a reset within the Service Advisors "digital cockpit" I am back up and running. If BMW sticks to this plan I'll have had 17 months of usage on my 24 months of subscription, with hours of aggravation to make a great feature work.

Based upon my understanding, there will be a period of time when both some legacy Android devices will be supported as well as newer BMW builds and newer Apple devices on the supported versions of IOS to have phone based digital keys. So a period of co-existence is technically possible. Reasonable backward compatibility is standard practice with many technology protocols.

I realize co-existence must require some effort (expense) on BMW's part, what is beyond frustrating is the limited window of support and taking away capabilities that were originally sold as features; alienates your customers and degrades trust of the BMW brand.

Subscription models suck and BMW's implementation and support of customers leaves a lot to be desired, seems like a slippery slope littered with declining customer satisfaction. What will they take away and charge for next? Seat heaters and cooling? Oh too late...suckers

Last edited by ddelX52019G05; 08-14-2020 at 11:30 AM.. Reason: typo
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2020, 11:52 AM   #6
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddelX52019G05 View Post
I am currently on version 07/2020.25 and while the capability to use the my digital phone key subscription needed the service department to perform a reset within the Service Advisors "digital cockpit" I am back up and running. If BMW sticks to this plan I'll have had 17 months of usage on my 24 months of subscription, with hours of aggravation to make a great feature work.

Based upon my understanding, there will be a period of time when both some legacy Android devices will be supported as well as newer BMW builds and newer Apple devices on the supported versions of IOS to have phone based digital keys. So a period of co-existence is technically possible. Reasonable backward compatibility is standard practice with many technology protocols.

I realize co-existence must require some effort (expense) on BMW's part, what is beyond frustrating is the limited window of support and taking away capabilities that were originally sold as features; alienates your customers and degrades trust of the BMW brand.

Subscription models suck and BMW's implementation and support of customers leaves a lot to be desired, seems like a slippery slope littered with declining customer satisfaction. What will they take away and charge for next? Seat heaters and cooling? Oh too late...suckers
While you are on 07/2020.x you are almost certainly still using smart access 1.0 on the car, which only supports DK1.0.

In theory you could technically continue to use DK1.0 indefinitely but BMW have apparently decided to move everyone to DK1.5 and SA 1.5 at some point in the near future, so the backend CD systems and associated processes/billing are being aligned as such.

The SA protocol is binary - it's either 1.0 or 1.5, which makes it a nightmare to manage, especially when the car has to be updated at the FA and i-step level to switch it. It's not really even a cost thing. Managing SA 1.0/1.5 at the car and then DK1.0/1.5 on the devices would be a confusing mess.

There is a scenario where BMW could have supported both but its not pragmatic in my view and I believe they are doing the right thing strategically for the majority of it's customer base.

Ultimately they want to move to a system where all smartphone devices can be used as Digital keys, in the pocket, as alternatives to key fobs, and this is the route they have to take.

The ball is really in Googles court. BMW will want that Android business without a doubt so aren't shutting down the service to Android users out of spite.

Personally, I've struggled to find a use-case for DK whether apple, android or NFC card. The need to keep taking it out of your pocket is not a good experience compared with the keyfob and Comfort Access.

That is until covid hit. My daily trips to the lake and pool now require I keep the NFC card on me and the fob remains at home, otherwise the keys would be exposed to theft.
Its waterproof which is really useful. Even then a phone would be useless as its too bulky to take into the water, so NFC card or the apple watch would work best.
Are there other scenarios where a Samsung phone with DK, offers a benefit over the fob, or even the NFC card?
Appreciate 2
      08-14-2020, 03:02 PM   #7
mrjoed2
Banned
Rep
Drives: '14 650 M Sport Edition

Confused about this. I have the android digital key working on my M50i.
Setup actually went pretty smoothly. Phone is a Galaxy S10+
I understand there is a $20 annual fee ( which is totally outrageous)
But don't get why it would stop working. I get the change is the NFC version, but why would that stop a existing vehicle/phone setup to stop working. Is it the Idrive updates or what? Hate to lose it, pretty nice.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2020, 05:04 PM   #8
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjoed2 View Post
But don't get why it would stop working. I get the change is the NFC version, but why would that stop a existing vehicle/phone setup to stop working. Is it the Idrive updates or what? Hate to lose it, pretty nice.
This is the official position. The coding is ready to retrofit 1.5 and the fact that Android devices subs are not being renewed suggests BMW are ploughing ahead with 1.5 support only.

"The BMW Digital Key is being upgraded to version 1.5 which provides compatibility with Apple devices. Only vehicles produced from 07/2020, with SA322 Comfort Access, will have the BMW Digital Key 1.5.

Updating the vehicle software to 20-07-5xx (07/2020 vehicle software) on an SP18 vehicle produced before 07/2020 does not include the BMW Digital Key 1.5, the BMW Digital Key 1.0 would remain active on the vehicle. Unfortunately, there are incorrect communications on this topic within BMW global social media platforms and press releases. A future software release, to allow an upgrade from BMW Digital Key 1.0 to BMW Digital Key 1.5 is currently under feasibility analysis but at present there is no confirmation that this will be available.
BMW Digital Key 1.5 is currently only compatibility with Apple products. Android device compatibility with the BMW Digital Key 1.5 is a possible future development (TBC)."
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2020, 06:34 PM   #9
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46M3, G05X5

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjoed2 View Post
This is the official position. The coding is ready to retrofit 1.5 and the fact that Android devices subs are not being renewed suggests BMW are ploughing ahead with 1.5 support only.

"The BMW Digital Key is being upgraded to version 1.5 which provides compatibility with Apple devices. Only vehicles produced from 07/2020, with SA322 Comfort Access, will have the BMW Digital Key 1.5.

Updating the vehicle software to 20-07-5xx (07/2020 vehicle software) on an SP18 vehicle produced before 07/2020 does not include the BMW Digital Key 1.5, the BMW Digital Key 1.0 would remain active on the vehicle. Unfortunately, there are incorrect communications on this topic within BMW global social media platforms and press releases. A future software release, to allow an upgrade from BMW Digital Key 1.0 to BMW Digital Key 1.5 is currently under feasibility analysis but at present there is no confirmation that this will be available.
BMW Digital Key 1.5 is currently only compatibility with Apple products. Android device compatibility with the BMW Digital Key 1.5 is a possible future development (TBC)."
It is totally confusing and screwed up. Is it the correct interpretation that if you a have 2019 or early 2020 with working Android Digital Key, that feature is going away (can't be renewed and/or being removed from 07/2020.xx software onwards) and, because you're 2019 or early 2020, you can never (with current level of BMW "commitment") have any sort of Android or iPhone Digital Key functionality? If correct interpretation, it is truly outrageous.
      08-15-2020, 01:08 AM   #10
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexxM3 View Post
It is totally confusing and screwed up. Is it the correct interpretation that if you a have 2019 or early 2020 with working Android Digital Key, that feature is going away (can't be renewed and/or being removed from 07/2020.xx software onwards) and, because you're 2019 or early 2020, you can never (with current level of BMW "commitment") have any sort of Android or iPhone Digital Key functionality? If correct interpretation, it is truly outrageous.
That does seem to be the case, but there is some definite intent to support DK1.5 on earlier models. Just a question of if and when.

Do they have to wait until all Android subs expire? Do it ad-hoc? Messy
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2020, 01:05 PM   #11
ddelX52019G05
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That does seem to be the case, but there is some definite intent to support DK1.5 on earlier models. Just a question of if and when.

Do they have to wait until all Android subs expire? Do it ad-hoc? Messy
Thanks IFR for your detailed explanations, makes me feel a little better as it seems you have access to good info; even better than what BMW customer relations. Still annoyed but appreciate understanding more about challenges of the digital key road-map.

If BMW is waiting for the last Android DK 1.0's to expire that would appear to be end of June 2021, so that might set up July 2021 as the wider release of DK 1.5; matched to BMW's larger update cycle..that's a total guess.

Now I wish I understood more about Google and Samsung's road-map to supporting the 1.5 protocol and if it will be part of Android 11 and 2021 phone model releases.
Appreciate 1
ifr1196.50
      08-15-2020, 02:22 PM   #12
Game
------
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G87 M2 (sold)

Wow this is unfortunate.
      08-16-2020, 03:49 AM   #13
atlas
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: F10 535i, M2 LCI, G05 X5 40i

Going to use this to push my SA to give me some compo!
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2020, 11:40 AM   #14
mrjoed2
Banned
Rep
Drives: '14 650 M Sport Edition

This is still a mystery to me. If I have a working vehicle /android digital key combination, what is going to change? Unless a update upgrades me to DK 1.5 shouldn't it keep working even with my scheduled renewal
in 4/2021?
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2020, 08:14 AM   #15
Espejo
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 Alpine White X5 40i

This is not good. I had upgraded to Samsung S20 which did not work with digital key. I should have read the fine print more closely when BMW says "compatible Android smartphone". I assumed it meant older Android phones would not be supported. I assumed they were referring to "older" Android phones. I was wrong. Now to see that the Digital Key is going away entirely is not good. I went ahead and bought a new phone case that has a credit card type compartment on the back. I stuck my Digital Keycard in the back of the case and while not perfect it's better than nothing.

And here I was patiently waiting for BMW to fix the service for the newer Android phones.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2020, 09:04 AM   #16
biterror
Captain
Finland
Rep
Drives: X5 45e 2021

My dealer said "any Android phone with NFC" will work. Can't wait to get my car and start complaining.. ;-)
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2020, 10:53 AM   #17
ddelX52019G05
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Personally, I've struggled to find a use-case for DK whether apple, android or NFC card. The need to keep taking it out of your pocket is not a good experience compared with the keyfob and Comfort Access.

That is until covid hit. My daily trips to the lake and pool now require I keep the NFC card on me and the fob remains at home, otherwise the keys would be exposed to theft.
Its waterproof which is really useful. Even then a phone would be useless as its too bulky to take into the water, so NFC card or the apple watch would work best.
Are there other scenarios where a Samsung phone with DK, offers a benefit over the fob, or even the NFC card?
You raise an interesting point, slightly off topic, what is to become of the NFC card with the switch in protocols? I do see it eventually expires, years in future within Connected Drive. It's NFC based too, what protocol is it using, so how does it avoid the same fate as the Android Digital key? There is no revenue model in place as they don't sell the card usage as a service..I can't see BMW killing everybody's card too, right?

To answer the other question you raised about scenarios where the phone based key is a benefit over fob or NFC card; it's a convenience. I carry my phone constantly, so if I want to move the car or unlock it, I've got my phone, I've got my keys.

The NFC card goes in my wallet and I only carry my wallet when I'm leaving the house and only carry the fob when I want to have "comfort access" manage the locking/unlocking. Yep, all first world problems.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2020, 11:08 AM   #18
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddelX52019G05 View Post
Quote:

You raise an interesting point, slightly off topic, what is to become of the NFC card with the switch in protocols? I do see it eventually expires, years in future within Connected Drive. It's NFC based too, what protocol is it using, so how does it avoid the same fate as the Android Digital key? There is no revenue model in place as they don't sell the card usage as a service..I can't see BMW killing everybody's card too, right?

To answer the other question you raised about scenarios where the phone based key is a benefit over fob or NFC card; it's a convenience. I carry my phone constantly, so if I want to move the car or unlock it, I've got my phone, I've got my keys.

The NFC card goes in my wallet and I only carry my wallet when I'm leaving the house and only carry the fob when I want to have "comfort access" manage the locking/unlocking. Yep, all first world problems.
I can confirm that the nfc card works fine with both smart access 1 and 1.5
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2020, 07:29 AM   #19
Sergeant Skinner
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Espejo View Post
This is not good. I had upgraded to Samsung S20 which did not work with digital key. I should have read the fine print more closely when BMW says "compatible Android smartphone". I assumed it meant older Android phones would not be supported. I assumed they were referring to "older" Android phones. I was wrong.
Well somewhat good news but I can confirm that DK 1.0 supports the Galaxy S20 (at least it supports the S20+ 5G). Just had my partner’s car set up with it today on her very last week of June 2020 built F40. It took a full uninstall of the BMW Connected app and to be with the BMW genius to get it to work. But it does now!

As a side note, her DK expiry date is 31 December 2021.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2021, 11:23 AM   #20
vgphone09
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

I have a 2020 X5 and updated idrive to the latest version 7/2020 about 2 months ago. My Samsung Note10 digital key worked without any problems until its subscription expired today and now I can not renew it. As per a BMW genius BMW has discontinued Digital Key for Android phones. It is outrageous. I think it is some kind of collusion between Apple and BMW and I have filed an antitrust complaint with United States Federal Trade commission about this. There email is antitrust@ftc.gov and website is https://www.ftc.gov/faq/competition/...rust-violation. Following is a copy of the email I sent to FTC:

Dear Sir/Madam,

I would like to bring to your attention a matter which I believe is consumer fraud and most likely an antitrust violation.
I had bought a 2020 BMW X5 vehicle in January 2020. It came with the convenience of using my Samsung phone as a digital key to open the vehicle door and to be able to start the vehicle without the need for an actual vehicle key. My subscription to the digital key expired today and I am being told by BMW customer service that the digital key from now onwards will be available only on Apple Iphones. I have not been given any reason for this discontinuation of the digital key on Samsung/android phones. I believe that I have been defrauded and not being provided with the convenience that I paid for when I bought the vehicle and that BMW and Apple are colluding in trying to force BMW owners to buy the latest Iphones and dump android Samsung phones. I am not the only one with this issue. There are numerous posts on Bimmerpost.com website about BMW owners being outraged at this decision of BMW to discontinue digital key on Samsung phones. Here are some of the links to these Bimmerpost threads:

https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...1#post27114501
https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1751890

Thank you very much for your time and attention to this matter.

Sincerely,

Last edited by vgphone09; 01-13-2021 at 11:54 AM..
Appreciate 2
      01-13-2021, 01:35 PM   #21
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

Fraud?

Anti-trust violation?

Nah.

Shitty on BMW's part? Yes. But the others? Nah.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2021, 06:06 PM   #22
Stoshu
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X5 M50i

There is probably a Licensing agreement and either Google (Android) is asking to much or is unwilling to pay or it could be that since Android spans so many platforms that maintaining compatibility is to big a problem while Apple has, well, the iPhone.

Last edited by Stoshu; 01-13-2021 at 06:13 PM..
Appreciate 0