10-06-2020, 11:55 AM   #111
skalberti
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Mineral White M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by val2000 View Post
Power stop cheap Chinese brakes I had them for half a year when you step on the brakes you feel like you have air in the system so I put the originals back I don't care anymore about the dust I care about stopping power
Don't waste your time and money on power stop pads
Never had this issue on our X5 or my M3.
      10-06-2020, 05:16 PM   #112
val2000
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 x5 i40

Don't get me wrong this is my opinion. I think there's a reason why not even one company (except power stop)or brand name company makes ceramic brake pads for this car. (19 X5 M-sport breaks)And for the people who have clicking noise that's because the original front brakes got double stick tape that's sticking to the pistons on the front calibers Powerstop Break pads don't have double stick tape that's why they moving around and making clicking sound
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2020, 05:48 PM   #113
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by skalberti View Post
brake dust?? OMG all my M3s for the last decade have been dust monsters not to mention the infamous heat shield problem where rocks would kick up and get stuck between the heat shield and rotor and cause a SSSSQQQQEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeee every time the brakes were applied. and no, they never fixed that at least across the e9x and f8x I've had!

do i sound stressed about that?
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2020, 06:49 PM   #114
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
brake dust?? OMG all my M3s for the last decade have been dust monsters not to mention the infamous heat shield problem where rocks would kick up and get stuck between the heat shield and rotor and cause a SSSSQQQQEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeee every time the brakes were applied. and no, they never fixed that at least across the e9x and f8x I've had!

I had plenty of brake dust with my X3, after washing it, the dust would show again within a five mile ride. Drove me nuts, been that way on all the BMW's I've owned. I said as soon as these pads/rotors wear out, I'm going with ceramic. Problem was, they just wouldn't wear out, the original set lasted 80K miles
So at the 80K mark, I held true to my promise and replaced the pads and rotors, went with ceramic pads. Yes, I lost the initial bite and had to get used to the new feel. They stopped fine but needed a bit more foot pressure but...so little dust that it was night and day. The dust was also a lighter color so it didn't really show like the OEM dust. Then, I sold the car 3K miles later
Appreciate 1
GrussGott18113.00
      10-06-2020, 08:11 PM   #115
aceman
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 550ix, 2008 Corvette

Guys -

I know a couple posters mentioned the armor all repellent and that it works.
I'm going to run a test on it next week and will post some results. My "other" car is a C7, and I saw this video which makes me think this seems fairly simple for those that are "mechanically challenged" or just don't want to remove the OEM pads...

I have a 45e with Msport, 740 rims, will post before/after pics next week.

Aceman
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2020, 09:48 PM   #116
skalberti
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Quote:

The brake shields had a recall and a fix for the rocks. Had powerstop pads and never had a dust issue on my M3.
      10-07-2020, 12:03 AM   #117
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
The brake shields had a recall and a fix for the rocks. Had powerstop pads and never had a dust issue on my M3.
Yeah, that "fix" didn't fix. Still happening across 2 F8xs ...
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2020, 12:09 AM   #118
robby818
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2

I bought a bottle of High Gloss 9H 3D Diamond Hardness ($30) on Amazon and applied it to all four wheels. I don't know how long ceramic coating lasts on wheels but so far it is repelling dust extremely well. If I have to re-apply it just once a year to maintain the protection, I'll be OK with it. Time will tell.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2020, 09:54 AM   #119
DCC
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives:

Bendix Copper Free Ceramics are available for the G05 X5s

Look them up on www.rockauto.com

I had Powerstop Z16s and then switched to the Bendix... they all have that clicking sound when changing direction of travel.
But to me the Bendix has less perception of dust and they feel more progressive and linear.

Happy trails

2024 M2, 2024 CGT4RS, 2020 M2 CS, 2021 Macan GTS, 2017 Cayenne S, 2002 M Coupe
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2020, 03:24 PM   #120
philooo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: porsche

Does anybody knows why the BMW brake generate so much dust ? is that because they are cheap pads ? or on the contrary good pads and that is a resulst of the performance of these pads ?

the amount of brake dust generated is insane, I think I could sacrifice a little brake power to lower the dust production
      12-09-2020, 03:38 PM   #121
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by philooo View Post
Does anybody knows why the BMW brake generate so much dust ? is that because they are cheap pads ? or on the contrary good pads and that is a resulst of the performance of these pads ?

the amount of brake dust generated is insane, I think I could sacrifice a little brake power to lower the dust production
Yes, they are indeed dust generators. I'd get maybe 10 miles after a wash before I could start to see the new dust again. I was always cleaning them and seeing the stream of black water run down my driveway. I changed to ceramic and it virtually eliminated the dust and what dust was there was a lighter color which made it harder to see on the wheels.

The sacrifice was that I needed more brake pedal pressure to slow down or stop than with the OEM BMW pads. Thing is, you never know how much time you are going to have to come to a stop or dramatically need to slow down to avoid an accident so while you are saying you think you could sacrifice a little brake power to gain lower dust, be careful what you ask for and if others drive your car, will they be as prepared or mindful?

My original set of BMW OEM pads lasted 80,000 miles. I never thought I'd get that many miles out of them they way they shed the dust and when I changed to ceramic, I only put about 2,000 miles on them before selling the car and 80% of that were long distance highway miles so really didn't have the opportunity to make any sudden braking comparisons. The ceramics definitely stopped the car but I knew I had to really press the brake pedal harder. Maybe I didn't have them long enough to become really confident in their stopping ability and I know I never hit them hard enough to engage the ABS.

So for me it was a little sweet n sour.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2020, 06:03 PM   #122
philooo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: porsche

my car has 200 miles on it and I have a thick coat of dust already AND it is a 45e with hybrid regen brakes.. I can only imagine what it can be on a 5.0.... I had an E70 before and the dust was the same.. insane.. I really wish there was an alterantive. I recall the E70 forums had found some alternative in the 'red' something type of pads. I hope someone familiar with brake pads will chime in this thread to enlight us with a good alternative. I think some aftermarket comapny could make some good money on the X5 crowd
      01-10-2021, 03:28 PM   #123
skalberti
Major
United_States
Rep

So I've driven on the Powerstops for almost 2 years. A friend of mine has the Centric Posi Quiets on his Mercedes and loves them. So I decided to give them a try. Haven't driven on them yet, but I can tell you the Posi Quiet fronts fit better than the Powerstops. There's no gap between the hook and pin. Here's the part numbers I used.
Attached Images

01-10-2021, 04:13 PM   #124
DCC
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
So I've driven on the Powerstops for almost 2 years. A friend of mine has the Centric Posi Quiets on his Mercedes and loves them. So I decided to give them a try. Haven't driven on them yet, but I can tell you the Posi Quiet fronts fit better than the Powerstops. There's no gap between the hook and pin. Here's the part numbers I used.
Thank you for sharing.
I saw these on rockauto.com and they noted it didn’t fit M Sport brakes that why I passed them up.
Let me order a set and try them since the Bendix I have now are also clicking due to the pad hook to caliper pin gap.

Appreciate 0
      01-10-2021, 05:30 PM   #125
skalberti
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCC View Post
Quote:
Thank you for sharing.
I saw these on rockauto.com and they noted it didn’t fit M Sport brakes that why I passed them up.
Let me order a set and try them since the Bendix I have now are also clicking due to the pad hook to caliper pin gap.
I ordered mine from here:

zeckhausen.com
      01-11-2021, 12:57 AM   #126
Beefcake
Second Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep
Drives: X5 45e (2021) / 428i (2014)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceman View Post
Guys -

I know a couple posters mentioned the armor all repellent and that it works.
I'm going to run a test on it next week and will post some results. My "other" car is a C7, and I saw this video which makes me think this seems fairly simple for those that are "mechanically challenged" or just don't want to remove the OEM pads...

I have a 45e with Msport, 740 rims, will post before/after pics next week.

Aceman
Looking forward to the results
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2021, 08:08 AM   #127
rmorin1249
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 MSport 40i

I have a Mercedes SL with AMG brakes. Lots of dust so I installed Power stop pads about a year ago. Reduced the dust by 90% and the color of the dust is much lighter so less visible. No noise, no clicks and no reduction in braking on the street.

COL(Ret), US Army Hagerstown MD
2019 X5 40i MSport Alpine White/Coffee (my 13th BMW)
2015 Mercedes SL400; 2009 Lexus RX350
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2021, 10:35 AM   #128
gofast182
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty in NY View Post
I've always hated the brake dust and the dark gray trail of dust running down my driveway during a wash and the way the calipers look when full of dust. However, I decided to keep the OEM pads till it was time for them to be replaced, never in my wildest dreams did I expect them to last 80K miles. Well, they did (X3 35i).

Fast forward, I just changed the rotors and pads and went with ceramic pads and am now cursing myself for waiting so long. I can drive for two weeks without seeing dust buildup on my wheels, in fact the dust color of the ceramic pads is more of a light gray to silver so even when I get down close to the wheels, its hard to see it without running my finger over the wheel. Fantastic. Stopping power seems the same as with the OEM pads. I went with Akebono pads.
Is it a G05 (with M Sport brakes) you switched to Akebono? If so, what part numbers? Over the years I've come to trust Akebono and would rather use their pads than the other options so far.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2021, 11:06 AM   #129
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmorin1249 View Post
I have a Mercedes SL with AMG brakes. Lots of dust so I installed Power stop pads about a year ago. Reduced the dust by 90% and the color of the dust is much lighter so less visible. No noise, no clicks and no reduction in braking on the street.
I changed away from BMW OEM brakes on my X3 and installed Akebono. Like you said, significantly less dust and the dust was a lighter color so what little dust they produced was hard to see. I was quite happy about that, which is the reason I changed to ceramic.

However, you said you did not sense any reduction in braking on the street. So I would like a bit more info on your experience and I realize you did it on a MB and not a BMW. For me, I immediately had to push on the brake pedal much harder in order to obtain what I felt was the same amount of stopping power, that is the ability to stop within the same distance as the OEM pads stopped me at the same speed.
I drove the car to the garage with the OEM pads and drove out with the ceramics so I was not calibrated in pedal force yet, I was still using the same pedal force as I had always used but there was no way the car was stopping in the same distance. The ceramics just didn't have that initial bite the OEM pads did.

Yes, stopping power was the same as with the OEM pads but required much more pedal effort to achieve it. Meaning that once I got used to the ceramics, I knew I had to press much harder on the pedal to get the stopping power of the OEM's and after a while, this became the new norm. This was mostly ok but I think if it were a panic situation, which I never had, would it stop in the same distance even with the increased pedal force?

Was this not your experience too? I wouldn't mind hearing from others on this topic as well because when I buy my next new BMW, I want to put ceramics on it right from the start.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2021, 01:08 PM   #130
Stoshu
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X5 M50i

The question that comes to my mind is, “With the difference in the pressure need to be applied with ceramic pads, does this affect the cars safety systems and there ability to stop the car in emergency situations?”
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2021, 06:52 PM   #131
skalberti
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCC View Post
Quote:
Thank you for sharing.
No clicking, no noise at all. Went for a drive to bed the brakes and went backwards and forwards several times. No clicking or noise.
      01-16-2021, 01:18 PM   #132
DCC
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
No clicking, no noise at all. Went for a drive to bed the brakes and went backwards and forwards several times. No clicking or noise.

Appreciate 0