Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X6M Competition

Garage List
2013 X6M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Aviator View Post
StealthHitch mentions on their website that they can remote program the "Tow Mode" for you. So I assumed their wiring harness and control module would communicate with BMW
Only if you have the BMW OEM wiring harness and BMW combox. If you use the Stealth standard harness they cannot program the car.

Appreciate 0
      10-16-2020, 10:16 AM   #24
JJ Aviator
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by denaliman View Post
Only if you have the BMW OEM wiring harness and BMW combox. If you use the Stealth standard harness they cannot program the car.
Got it
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2020, 08:27 PM   #25
Shawzy44
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 40iX

No programming required, you just need the controller and harness (not available in North America, yet).

See the following post and video: https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=26762867

Update:
I had my X5 programed. Works like a charm!

2023 BMW X3 M40i
2019 BMW X5 40iX
2019 BMW 440iX M Performance Cabriolet

Last edited by Shawzy44; 01-11-2021 at 05:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2020, 08:48 PM   #26
rawskyb
Private
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, Porsche Macan GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by James_G0530d View Post
I have since painted the exposed silver mesh sections black.

Basically bought myself a can of black enamel automotive paint, removed that upper-inner panel and sprayed it with a couple of coats. I also sprayed the larger panel (using some cardboard to contain the spray to the silver area), and it looks awesome, blends in perfectly with the lower part and no more stand out..

I agree, the silver heat mesh stands out too much, doesn't look professional, looks like something took a bite out of that area.

Dealers should be doing this when installing the after-factory stealth hitch.

***UPDATE*** - pics below.
THANK YOU for the idea of painting the metal heat liner. I just did my Stealth Hitch install today and had purchased a can of black enamel paint for engines (high heat) in advance after reading this thread. So I was able to paint various surfaces when I had all of the panels off of my X5 45e. I don't like how you can see the heat baffling around/behind the exhaust pipes either, so I also sprayed those areas when the rock panels were removed.

Name:  M71QTEpXTTOBG+kbKiF12A.jpg
Views: 827
Size:  644.2 KB

Name:  JJUSCvVRQo6DkmVpE3zCcQ.jpg
Views: 799
Size:  305.2 KB

I didn't bother spraying sections that will be concealed, thus the "partial" paint job.

I also marked the width that I determined was necessary to access the lock on the left side and the latch on the right side, versus just cutting where the instructions indicate. I would rather have a precise fit and less of a cut out area than to have a huge portion exposed. I am definitely making a smaller opening (width and depth) than what they suggest.

This install was quite involved - it took me about 5 hours start to finish, but I was working completely alone and I have never tried taking apart a car like this before. A few minor issues (broke one small plastic tab, dropped a screw inside the battery compartment), but nothing really major.
Appreciate 1
      12-23-2020, 07:58 PM   #27
TXDroneRacer
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 M5 Comp, 21 X5 M50i

Garage List
Has anybody asked a dealer for a quote to install a stealth hitch?

I'm assuming it can be installed on an X5 M50i ???
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2020, 09:16 PM   #28
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

Long ago, with the original iteration of this (Invisihitch), I had my dealer install it on my GT. Cost about $400. At the time, if you were near the factory, they would install it for a lot less since they had lots of experience with it.

It's not particularly hard. The biggest risk is to break a tab off of the bumper cover. Then, it's buy a new one and have it painted as the tabs cannot be repaired. BUt, you have to be fairly heavy handed to do that. It's much easier if you've done it before. It's safer to have a second person to hold one end of the bumper cover while you're releasing the tabs so it doesn't twist.

Now, should you want to also add in a wiring harness, that's a bit more involved.
Appreciate 1
      10-01-2021, 12:31 AM   #29
mlurker
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW G05 X5 45e

Anybody tried towing with a rack option only? It looks very solid I don't understand why you need to buy a tow accessory separate (not the harness).
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2021, 01:56 AM   #30
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlurker View Post
Anybody tried towing with a rack option only? It looks very solid I don't understand why you need to buy a tow accessory separate (not the harness).
The receiver unit sold with the Stealth hitch is NOT designed for the leverage or load of a trailer being attached. You really need the tow ball adapter that locks into the guts of the Stealth Hitch...not one inserted into the receiver that is only rated for about 150# or so...not the 551# the vehicle is rated for.

In expert mode of BimmerCode, you can flip the one switch needed to enable the towing camera view. I'm not sure that it also enables the stability control or disables the PDC...those might be separate software switches.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2022, 05:16 PM   #31
laktran
Registered
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad03060 View Post
The receiver unit sold with the Stealth hitch is NOT designed for the leverage or load of a trailer being attached. You really need the tow ball adapter that locks into the guts of the Stealth Hitch...not one inserted into the receiver that is only rated for about 150# or so...not the 551# the vehicle is rated for.

In expert mode of BimmerCode, you can flip the one switch needed to enable the towing camera view. I'm not sure that it also enables the stability control or disables the PDC...those might be separate software switches.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawzy44 View Post
No programming required, you just need the controller and harness (not available in North America, yet).

See the following post and video: https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=26762867

Update:
I had my X5 programed. Works like a charm!

How did you get it to work? Please share,

Thanks very much,
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2022, 05:39 PM   #32
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep

Newer X5's, at least in the USA, do not come prewired for the towing package like they used to. Some markets get that, so far, not the US. THe only way to get towing is to buy it from the factory with full functionality. Last time I looked, nobody had figured out the interface on the G05 to get the automatic switch into towing mode, but I haven't looked in a few months, so that may have happened. Lots of places make CANBUS enabled boxes to make the trailer's lights work. Mine was bought with the tow package, so I haven't looked further into this.

If you want to actually tow a trailer, you need a ball mount adapter. They come in various versions, extensions, drop/rise, and ball size. Like this: https://stealthhitches.com/products/ball-mount-u3s
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2022, 10:04 AM   #33
denaliman
Major
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2013 X6M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by laktran View Post
How did you get it to work? Please share,

Thanks very much,
I had to have mine coded after combox install. The car will recognize the combox, but it still needs to be programmed to car. This was my experience. Dealer or someone with ista or contact codemybimmer.com.

Appreciate 0
      06-06-2022, 10:30 AM   #34
jimthompsonmd
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 X5 45e  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXDroneRacer View Post
Has anybody asked a dealer for a quote to install a stealth hitch?

I'm assuming it can be installed on an X5 M50i ???
I put the Stealth hitch on my 45e (and I like it).
Total cost was about $2000.
The Stealth combo package (2" box receiver; towing ball; wiring harness) was about $1,000; rest for labor to install.

I believe the 45e made the aftermarket installation substantially more complex if you want the wiring, which I did want. And I believe there is some loss of functionality. I was just interested in making sure that if I towed a light trailer of some kind I had lights and blinkers, etc. I have the M Sport option. I don't know if the OEM brakes for towing are an improvement on that or not.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2022, 10:40 AM   #35
jimthompsonmd
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 X5 45e  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlurker View Post
My (amateur) assumption is that although the receiver looks--and is--pretty solid, when you connect a towing ball to it you now have a lot more torque on that receiver, and in all directions. You are that much more extended out beyond the center block connection point to the mounting mechanism, multiplying all the forces around a fulcrum point now extended well beyond mounting the tow ball directly.
For the Stealth hitch in particular, the towing ball assembly is incredibly solid--and replaces the receiver so that the tow ball assembly mounts directly to the center block.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2022, 12:26 PM   #36
eelnoraa
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 X5

Looking at stealth hitch installation, it replaces the stock aluminum piece with a steel piece wit the center block. This steel piece must be very solid. But factory must have used the Al there for some reason. it looks like arear crumble piece to me. With the stealth hitch, does it compromise the crumble zone (should crumble upon impact) ?
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2023, 06:46 AM   #37
classic_erik
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23' X7 40i M Sport

Garage List
Just installed my stealth hitch and using it for the first time with a bike rack. Is it normal to have some play / wiggle in the rack once installed? I would have thought it was rock solid but there is definitely some slight give left to right that I’m concerned about.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2023, 10:40 AM   #38
tooloud10
Captain
Rep
Drives: '08 M3 convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by classic_erik View Post
Just installed my stealth hitch and using it for the first time with a bike rack. Is it normal to have some play / wiggle in the rack once installed? I would have thought it was rock solid but there is definitely some slight give left to right that I’m concerned about.
It's normal on inexpensive racks that do not feature a cam tightening system inside the receiver to prevent movement.

I use Kuat racks that have the feature and the rack is so tight that it feels like part of the car itself.
      04-16-2023, 11:34 AM   #39
classic_erik
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tooloud10 View Post
It's normal on inexpensive racks that do not feature a cam tightening system inside the receiver to prevent movement.

I use Kuat racks that have the feature and the rack is so tight that it feels like part of the car itself.
I actually got the Kuat NV 2.0, but should have clarified that the wiggle can be found in the receiver without anything attached to it. So not exactly clear that it had anything to do with the bike rack. It’s very very slight but just felt there should be no play at all.
      04-16-2023, 01:44 PM   #40
tooloud10
Captain
Rep
Drives: '08 M3 convertible

Quote:
I actually got the Kuat NV 2.0, but should have clarified that the wiggle can be found in the receiver without anything attached to it. So not exactly clear that it had anything to do with the bike rack. It’s very very slight but just felt there should be no play at all.
OK, the NV 2.0s are what I have too. I would say that the wiggle would have to be in the hitch itself or from the installation, but that would make me uncomfortable too.
      04-16-2023, 03:14 PM   #41
classic_erik
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tooloud10 View Post
OK, the NV 2.0s are what I have too. I would say that the wiggle would have to be in the hitch itself or from the installation, but that would make me uncomfortable too.
So bike rack aside (the Kuat is perfectly stable in the receiver itself), does your receiver not wiggle whatsoever when installed?
      04-16-2023, 03:40 PM   #42
denaliman
Major
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2013 X6M  [0.00]
Quote:
So bike rack aside (the Kuat is perfectly stable in the receiver itself), does your receiver not wiggle whatsoever when installed?
My 1Up does not wiggle or move. It has a ball wedge that tightens with a bolt.

Appreciate 0
      04-16-2023, 09:43 PM   #43
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep

Make sure that you've pushed the locking pin in and it's not just holding on with the spring-loaded part. There could be a little play between the receiver and its socket in the frame bolted to the vehicle.

For those that may not know, the internal guts of the stealth hitch can take a variety of square receiver or ball attachments. They all come out of the bottom of the bumper, thus putting it closer to the ground and with a bit of a lever when a load is applied. https://stealthhitches.com/products/...receiver-hitch
https://stealthhitches.com/products/ball-mount-u5l

Last edited by jad03060; 04-16-2023 at 09:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2023, 08:15 AM   #44
neocryte
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5 45e

Quote:
Weird. I don't have any play on mine, it's rocksolid.
Appreciate 0