BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-13-2020, 07:44 PM   #1
RaleighStEclaire
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X5 45e

Testing a 45e without a 45e...

Friends,

I’m looking to test drive and likely order an X5 45e. Of two dealerships in town, there are no 45e’s and only a single X3 30e. Driving to a neighboring city is pretty much out due to pandemic-related issues with child care (Though I’ll be sending desired specs and quotes to these areas to shop around). Not that it would help anyway - of four other dealerships in nearby cities there’s only one 45e about an hour and a half away.

I’m fairly sold on the car but want to have an actual experience with it before dropping $80k. Suggestions? Thinking of testing the 30e to get a sense of how BMW is now implementing PHEV and X5 40i for approximation of car feel. Not nearly ideal but the best I can come up with. Your thoughts are appreciated. Bonus for impression of combo: Phytonic blue (previously considered arctic grey), black merino, matte poplar. +/- M body and brakes.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2020, 09:04 PM   #2
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighStEclaire View Post
Driving to a neighboring city is pretty much out

Thinking of testing the 30e ... and X5 40i for approximation of car feel.
yeah, sure, given you have no other options. FWIW I'm looking at the 45e without ever having driven one and the 40i will tell you what the car is going to be like drive-wise ... the 30e might confuse things.
Appreciate 1
      10-13-2020, 09:56 PM   #3
Frankj9000
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X5 40ix 07.2020.54

Just a point of reference. Our X5 45e is at the dealer and we were given a 40i loaner. Our 45e has the 21inch wheels and the standard air suspension. The 40i has 19 inch wheels and the standard springs. I have been shocked and the difference in the ride quality. Handling is about the same, but no contest on ride. The 45e is nowhere near as bouncy. Hard to describe but very noticeable.

The 45e is also much smoother in acceleration.

Previously owned a E70 X5 and the 45e is a vastly superior vehicle.
Appreciate 1
      10-13-2020, 10:04 PM   #4
aceman
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 550ix, 2008 Corvette

I wouldn't waste your time with an X3, I would think as others have posted, X5 40i will be closer. Speed wise, almost the same as the 45e in sport mode. I feel the 45e feels more planted (probably has to do with the extra weight of the batteries/motor). If you're looking at a MSRP of a 45e at 80K, assuming you are looking at a M-sport, so try and find a M-sport 40i.

Aceman
Appreciate 1
      10-13-2020, 11:17 PM   #5
codex57
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 45e, Tesla Model 3

I have a X3. I test drove both 45e and 40i back to back.

45e is FAR more plush in ride quality. Like ultra luxury feeling. 40i felt like my X3 in a way. Way more lively and tossable than the 45e, but definitely bigger, heavier, and less tossable than my X3. I'm not as "wowed" by the 40i.

From a motor standpoint, I far prefer the 45e. Silent (good or bad) but I definitely feel the electric assist. I have a Tesla Model 3 also and the 45e has hints of that fun electric torque punch. The 40i is too heavy for the motor to feel super lively.
Appreciate 2
      10-14-2020, 01:10 AM   #6
Pateeke81
Second Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep
Drives: Current: 2019 BWM X5 45e

I test drove a 40i because a 45e was not available in Belgium last year. That will give you a good idea but make sure you ask for an 40i with air suspension to know how a 45e will feel.
Performance wise they are both around the same.
      10-18-2020, 01:11 PM   #7
RaleighStEclaire
Private
Rep

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. Took a 40i out yesterday with my wife (she had a 2010 X3 before - as has been commented upon ubiquitously, much different level of road feel). We really liked it.

I’ve read with anxiety about the 45e recalls throughout Europe and NA. Sounds like BMW is still taking orders on the 45e. I’m having a hard time determining when to order - when will the issue be resolved for future builds? Has that date already come and past? I assume since they’ve identified the problem that there should be no issues moving forward but perhaps that’s naive. Are they testing (I think I read they are) and, if so, what’s the likelihood that testing absolutely catches the problem?

I’ve read numerous threads and none have really addressed how or when BMW will have confidently resolved the issue (or Samsung, i guess). Maybe it’s unknowable to the consumer. Any threads you’re particularly paying attention to? Other news sources?

As I’m not in urgent need to replace my GS, I’m really just hoping to minimize the chance of future headaches by ordering after this “Probably fine but might catch fire and burn down your house” business seems to be clearing up.

Feel free to call me out on missing something or asking for too much at this stage. But felt I’d ask - everyone’s perspectives have been so helpful so far (special shout out to GrussGott who’s been active in a lot of posts I’ve read and seems to have both a big fund of knowledge and the humility to acknowledge when there’s an area outside of it)
Appreciate 1
GrussGott18135.50
      10-18-2020, 01:23 PM   #8
Rikkiokbye
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighStEclaire View Post
Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. Took a 40i out yesterday with my wife (she had a 2010 X3 before - as has been commented upon ubiquitously, much different level of road feel). We really liked it.

I've read with anxiety about the 45e recalls throughout Europe and NA. Sounds like BMW is still taking orders on the 45e. I'm having a hard time determining when to order - when will the issue be resolved for future builds? Has that date already come and past? I assume since they've identified the problem that there should be no issues moving forward but perhaps that's naive. Are they testing (I think I read they are) and, if so, what's the likelihood that testing absolutely catches the problem?

I've read numerous threads and none have really addressed how or when BMW will have confidently resolved the issue (or Samsung, i guess). Maybe it's unknowable to the consumer. Any threads you're particularly paying attention to? Other news sources?

As I'm not in urgent need to replace my GS, I'm really just hoping to minimize the chance of future headaches by ordering after this "Probably fine but might catch fire and burn down your house" business seems to be clearing up.

Feel free to call me out on missing something or asking for too much at this stage. But felt I'd ask - everyone's perspectives have been so helpful so far (special shout out to GrussGott who's been active in a lot of posts I've read and seems to have both a big fund of knowledge and the humility to acknowledge when there's an area outside of it)
Hi

I ordered my X45e in first week of September. Left production last week and is awaiting shipment to UK.

So I think the issue is resolved for new builds otherwise why would they still be in production?

I am expecting delivery around 16th November.

Will keep you updated 👍🏽
Appreciate 1
      10-18-2020, 01:26 PM   #9
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

I ordered my 45e without testing too, it wasn't out yet. I just tested the 30d.

If you are happy with the 40i I think you will also be with the 45e.

For the battery issues. There are reports of battery burning with other cars too. The current 45e reports are annoying. Especially since there is more than one. However I don't think it is unique for the 45e and we should be cautious with all electric powered cars charging inside.
Appreciate 1
      10-18-2020, 05:36 PM   #10
Finito84
Private
United_States
Rep

Check if you have an Ultimate Driving Machine event near you. They usually have the 45e and you can test drive it there.

I ordered the 45e without ever sitting on one. The X5 40i is a good comparison for size, looks, kind of buttons and display (small differences), etc. but the 45e drives in a completely different manner it as it was mentioned in this thread. I loved the lack of noise and additional kick.
Appreciate 1
      11-12-2020, 06:00 PM   #11
RaleighStEclaire
Private
Rep

Thanks to all who responded. Placed an order and it's in production. Really appreciate all of the recommendations.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2020, 07:37 PM   #12
codex57
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 45e, Tesla Model 3

Congrats!
Appreciate 1