10-23-2020, 02:50 PM   #23
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomCat6065 View Post
I had mine surgically implanted right beneath the skin on the right side of my abdomen...works great.

It's a bit of a "pain" to replace the battery, but well worth not having to keep up with it.
Did you ask them to remove your appendix while they were there, just in case?
Appreciate 1
mhodx5111.50
      10-23-2020, 03:11 PM   #24
mhodx5
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5 M50i ordered

Quote:
I had mine surgically implanted right beneath the skin on the right side of my abdomen...works great.

It's a bit of a "pain" to replace the battery, but well worth not having to keep up with it.
This is a great idea. I can think of another place to put it that you wouldn't need surgery to remove it. LOL not sure if the signals will be detected though.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2020, 06:54 PM   #25
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46M3, G05X5

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:

You joke, but implantable security and identity is certainly coming, just not sure if it's mainstream 10 years or 30 years from now. Maybe the Jxxx-platform.
      10-23-2020, 08:59 PM   #26
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3m40i

I didn't see remote key option with BMW Connect app. Is the cellphone key option a different app on Android?
      10-23-2020, 09:48 PM   #27
tellch00
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: TDI Touareg, 997 Turbo

my cupholder is never open so key goes in the forward area of side of door.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2020, 12:56 AM   #28
TomCat6065
Gear Head
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X2 M35i, 2021 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexxM3 View Post
Quote:

You joke, but implantable security and identity is certainly coming, just not sure if it's mainstream 10 years or 30 years from now. Maybe the Jxxx-platform.
I would do it.
2021 X5 M50i, Carbon Black, Ext Coffee Merino interior, 21" Y Spoke wheels, Matte Poplar woodgrain trim. Adaptive M-Susp, DHP, Exec Package, Park Assist Plus, Driving Assist Pro, Traffic Jam Assist, Heated/Ventilated seats/armrests, Alacantara headliner, Increased speed limiter.
My wife drives a 2020 X2 M35i.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2020, 02:45 AM   #29
samvora
The Dark Knight
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36, E46, E90, G05 and MB W205

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorttt View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by samvora View Post
Your pocket? I mean does this deserve a thread? Just wondering lol
Pocket here 99% and it doesn't slide out. Perhaps, it is because my pants/jeans are usually tight, lol? I feel inconvenient to take things out of my pocket once I'm sat down. Wife, in her purse 99% of the time. If I put the key fob in the cup holder, I might forget to take it when I exit the vehicle.

Lol, i guess it does deserve a thread since there are responses.
I mean technically you can start a thread on why is a donkey gray in color and not red but that doesn't mean you do it lol. Why would you need to take out your key from the pocket once you are sitting in the car and driving? I have never had to do that. Anyway I just dump it in the door pocket where I have my sunglasses and other stuff. Plus if you leave it in the cup holder then that is why the car is smarter than you and reminds you to take it because it won't lock itself and you won't have anything to lock it with 😉
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2020, 02:34 AM   #30
TK - 421
There's a storm coming
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW Vader

Garage List
Quote:
I mean technically you can start a thread on why is a donkey gray in color and not red but that doesn't mean you do it lol. Why would you need to take out your key from the pocket once you are sitting in the car and driving? I have never had to do that. Anyway I just dump it in the door pocket where I have my sunglasses and other stuff. Plus if you leave it in the cup holder then that is why the car is smarter than you and reminds you to take it because it won't lock itself and you won't have anything to lock it with 😉
I have a steering/crook lock, i have to have my keys in my hand when getting in the car, after i remove the steering lock, i put them in the cup holder. but if i didn't have the lock, they'd stay in my pocket. I do remember the key holder in earlier BM's, and must admit it was a pretty cool feature.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2020, 04:17 PM   #31
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

FWIW, now that BMW supports the key card, having an RFID chip embedded would at least work to open the car...kind of hard to drive with it on the steering column though!

Might be nice if you were going somewhere and not wanting to carry your fob (like swimming, hiking, running, biking, etc.). If you put the fob in a Faraday cage, you could lock it in, and never be locked out of the car (well, assuming the battery in the car wasn't flat!).

There are some businesses that use some security systems that let people do this now if they wish. They can also use it to pay at the on-site cafeteria. So, it's not that far out there. BMW could extend their RFID field so it could work with an embedded chip if they wished to drive rather than just open the door. Those embeddable chips, essentially what many people put in their pets for identification should they be lost, are about the size of a grain of rice. It could also be used to access a health record for a person or unlock your door at home...IOW, it's likely to be here sooner than you might think.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2020, 05:32 PM   #32
samvora
The Dark Knight
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36, E46, E90, G05 and MB W205

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK - 421 View Post
Quote:
I have a steering/crook lock, i have to have my keys in my hand when getting in the car, after i remove the steering lock, i put them in the cup holder. but if i didn't have the lock, they'd stay in my pocket. I do remember the key holder in earlier BM's, and must admit it was a pretty cool feature.
They have the pocket under the headlight switch and also the door once you sit in the car is a good place where you can put it.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2020, 05:51 PM   #33
M40i4me
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Garage List
2021 X3 M40i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyde View Post
My wallet fits exactly in the slot next to wireless charging pad.
But isn't it less convenient to use the key, I mean it's not really much different than actually having a key since you have to pull it out, and touch the door or place it in right place in the car to start the car, just like an actual key, while Keyfob can be in your bag, pocket, etc anywhere. I just wish they did watch like key or compatibility with Galaxy Watch or Apple Watch, just tap and go, get in and start, no key, no card, no mess.
Agreed especially if you have comfort access the black card is useless. Car unlocks when you approach and locks when you walk away.
Appreciate 0