BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-26-2020, 01:39 PM   #1
codex57
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 45e, Tesla Model 3

Leaving factory protective film on

When cars are delivered in the US, what parts are covered in factory protective film/covering? Have you ever asked a dealer to leave that stuff on for the drive home?

I'm picking up mine from a dealer a decent ways away. I'd like to leave as much on as possible to prevent as many rock chips as I can until I can get it to my ppf installer.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2020, 01:42 PM   #2
amus3d
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 530e, X5 45e

I don't see why not? The installer should be able to take it off and do the necessary paint correction before PPF install anyways.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2020, 02:49 PM   #3
CaboM4
BMW Aficionado
Rep
Drives: 23 i7,23 iX,24 Silverado

i always tell the dealer to deliver without doing any prep to paint and leaving protective film on. I would rather trust my detailer/PPF installer to prep the paint/vehicle instead of the dealership hack.
Appreciate 2
iconoclast7262.50
DPHTOY149.00
      10-26-2020, 03:01 PM   #4
iconoclast
Self-Deprecating Narcissist
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Audi BMW Ferrari LR MB

Yes. Simply request it at the time of sale so they put it on the PO then remind them before you take delivery and they wont send it through PDI department. Bring it directly to detailer and let them unwrap it and protect it properly.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2020, 01:17 PM   #5
deadlion
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 G05 40i MSport (PCD)

Makes sense and is a reasonable request. I'd be weary of lifting and slapping if I had a long drive esp in inclement weather.
1990 BMW 735i
1984 BMW 533i (missing it)
Appreciate 1
      10-31-2020, 03:05 PM   #6
leasehackr
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5, 530e

My dealer is saying they will remove the white film. If there is damage, they must know about it and should be deal with it immediately not when I take the white film off.

I told them leave the white film on and I will take my chances but they are insisted to take that off.

Did you get the car with white film intact? is it on hood, roof and doors?
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2020, 11:02 PM   #7
rawskyb
Private
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, Porsche Macan GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infosec View Post
My dealer is saying they will remove the white film. If there is damage, they must know about it and should be deal with it immediately not when I take the white film off.

I told them leave the white film on and I will take my chances but they are insisted to take that off.

Did you get the car with white film intact? is it on hood, roof and doors?
Tell your dealer you will not accept the vehicle without the film left intact. And if he presses on the "hidden damage" claim (which is ridiculous), tell him you will sign something saying they are not responsible for any damage under the film. There is essentially zero chance the paint is damaged under the film unless the film is damaged.

The X5's arrive with film on the hood, front grill surround, and the roof. There are a couple of strips on the door handle (driver side) and some foam strips on the driver door edge to protect when it opens during the delivery process.

This is mine upon delivery about 12 days ago. It came off the line in Spartanburg on October 3.

Name:  zEwM0nmJQKa+2F3YrHan3g.jpg
Views: 1067
Size:  463.5 KB

Name:  ae3UYiwXQbO9+iJFdpX9Hw.jpg
Views: 1231
Size:  420.2 KB

It makes for a slightly anti-climactic delivery experience, seeing your new baby for the first time with a thick layer of crap all over it, but the advantages are worth it when you consider that you can get your PPF on before you get any scratches in the surface. Should basically eliminate almost all paint correction (as you undoubtedly know, or you wouldn't be worried about this).
Appreciate 2
      11-02-2020, 02:32 AM   #8
leasehackr
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5, 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawskyb View Post
Tell your dealer you will not accept the vehicle without the film left intact. And if he presses on the "hidden damage" claim (which is ridiculous), tell him you will sign something saying they are not responsible for any damage under the film. There is essentially zero chance the paint is damaged under the film unless the film is damaged.

The X5's arrive with film on the hood, front grill surround, and the roof. There are a couple of strips on the door handle (driver side) and some foam strips on the driver door edge to protect when it opens during the delivery process.

This is mine upon delivery about 12 days ago. It came off the line in Spartanburg on October 3.

Attachment 2451433

Attachment 2451434

It makes for a slightly anti-climactic delivery experience, seeing your new baby for the first time with a thick layer of crap all over it, but the advantages are worth it when you consider that you can get your PPF on before you get any scratches in the surface. Should basically eliminate almost all paint correction (as you undoubtedly know, or you wouldn't be worried about this).
Thanks!

Ordered in the same color except for wheels. Looks like you have 21" upgrade Y wheel.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2020, 12:30 AM   #9
codex57
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 45e, Tesla Model 3

I'm having it taken off. Those aren't the primary areas I'm concerned about, other than the grill surround. Film is thin too.

I'm looking into other options such as track tape, plastic drop sheets with painter's tape, etc.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2020, 09:20 AM   #10
CaboM4
BMW Aficionado
Rep
Drives: 23 i7,23 iX,24 Silverado

if you just want to protect rocker panels, headlamps and front bumper from damage ... add several layers of blue painters tape to cover these areas. I also leave the white film on at delivery and only allow my detailer/PPF installer to unwrap the vehicle, perform any paint correction necessary and then wrap the vehicle. This is much safe than having a dealership's "vehicle prep" staff touch and possibly cause damage to the paint. Fortunately for me, my dealer is within a few miles of my detailer, and will drop the vehicle off on their flat bed ... so no worrying about covering areas to protect from rock chips. Might be worth seeing what a tow would cost in comparison for your peace of mind
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2020, 09:30 AM   #11
iconoclast
Self-Deprecating Narcissist
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Audi BMW Ferrari LR MB

Quote:
if he presses on the "hidden damage" claim (which is ridiculous),
if the film isn't damaged then the likelihood of damage underneath it is very unlikely.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2020, 11:52 PM   #12
zaflb
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: GTI

Quote:

Attachment 2451433

Attachment 2451434

Did you test sunroof during delivery? I was wondering if it is possible with the film on.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2020, 12:54 AM   #13
rawskyb
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iconoclast View Post
if the film isn't damaged then the likelihood of damage underneath it is very unlikely.
Yep, that's why I said that was "ridiculous". Other than a painting defect, there is almost no way the paint could get "damaged" before the white plastic is applied, so the risk of "hidden damage" is almost non-existent.
Appreciate 1
iconoclast7262.50
      11-09-2020, 01:06 AM   #14
rawskyb
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaflb View Post
Did you test sunroof during delivery? I was wondering if it is possible with the film on.
No, not unless you want to potentially damage the sunroof. The film is not cut around the sunroof opening which means the film essentially locks the sunroof to the roof itself.

I personally am not one who needs to test every feature of the car when I pick it up. If anything isn't working, it isn't like it won't be covered under warranty if I don't report it on Day 1. In fact, I didn't test anything before leaving the dealer. I came in, did a once-over on the X5, went into the finance office for about 3 minutes to sign the financing docs, then got the keys and left. They gave me the business cards for their BMW Genius in case we had any questions on how anything works (so we could call them), but that was it.

With the whole COVID situation, we had no interest in spending more time inside the dealership than necessary, and certainly were not going to sit inside the car with a BMW Genius to spend 45 minutes going through features.

Plus, since I had a 45 mile drive home and drove at 3mph on the shoulder with my flashers on (to make sure I didn't get hit by any rocks tossed from passing semis), it was a long drive home. I couldn't waste time testing the sunroof...
Appreciate 0