BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-10-2019, 10:16 AM   #67
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by skalberti View Post
I do anesthesia, that means I put people to sleep for surgery. Getting on here acting like a disgruntled child won't make your situation better. ALL cars have issues these days due to all of the electronics in them. They're nothing like cars 20 years ago. Even a Honda the Holy grail of reliability is plagued with electrical issues. This is my wife's 4th X5 since 2010 and she loves this one the best and I have to agree with her. Spend less time complaining online and more time on the phone with BMW NA so you can get your problems fixed or replaced.
That guy’s a troll... there’s no way he has a new X5. Probably drives a Yugo.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2019, 10:20 AM   #68
JDBrown
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugabi View Post
Thanks BMW salesperson. Hope you hit your numbers....Sorry my truth makes it harder for you.
We get it Mugabi. You hate the X5. I think we all commiserate for your issues as I am sure it is horribly frustrating. Berating those who love it, and don't have issues, doesn't drive home your point any harder. Move on man, we get it... I hated my Range Rovers, but I didn't bash them on a forum of people who love them.

If anyone is looking for a BMW in the Ohio area let me know... I kid.
2018 RRS Autobiography - Fuji White (Sold)
2016 BMW M2 - Long Beach Blue (Sold)
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2019, 10:43 AM   #69
aspiring335
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 G05 40i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold187um View Post
Those geniuses struggle, let's face it.

Can you share with me what ailed your vehicle and how you resolved it? For me, SOS and BMW Assist do not successfully communicate from the vehicle. You press the SOS button OR try to access Assist functionality from the iDrive menu, and no call is generated. It does seem that data of some kind is being communicated by the vehicle since SOS services called my personal cell to see if all was well. But voice data (phone calls) is a no go.

Tying into this, the Connected app is not communicating with the vehicle. Location services, address sending, vehicle status and updates, 3d view of surroundings, none of it work.
I'm having similar issues. Nothing happened when I pushed the SOS button (which was the dealer's suggestion to initiate the connectivity), and there is no way to get CarPlay to show up even as an option.

I was able to install and log in to the BMW Connected Drive app, but the status it shows for the vehicle is not correct (shows the windows are open and doors unlocked, doesn't show correct mileage, etc.).

No-one seems to have any idea how to resolve it yet.

I was able to connect to the car's wifi network, but it shows no Internet connection also.
      01-10-2019, 10:46 AM   #70
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herdalum View Post
That guy’s a troll... there’s no way he has a new X5. Probably drives a Yugo.
He is over on Bimmerfest forum acting like an a** also.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2019, 10:52 AM   #71
Mark609
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 G05 Xline

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDBrown View Post
Move on man, we get it... I hated my Range Rovers, but I didn't bash them on a forum of people who love them.
The Range Rover is about the most unreliable, troubled car on the road according to Consumer Reports which I take for gospel, at least when it comes to getting an education on vehicles. I used to fill out those VERY intensive, comprehensive critique forms so I know first hand hand reliable that information is as reported by owners. BMW gets a glowing report.

Having said that year after year the most trouble free cars/trucks have been Toyota and Lexus in general.

I'll post some CR pix in a minute in a separate thread.
Appreciate 1
JDBrown62.50
      01-10-2019, 11:46 AM   #72
JDBrown
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspiring335 View Post
I'm having similar issues. Nothing happened when I pushed the SOS button (which was the dealer's suggestion to initiate the connectivity), and there is no way to get CarPlay to show up even as an option.

I was able to install and log in to the BMW Connected Drive app, but the status it shows for the vehicle is not correct (shows the windows are open and doors unlocked, doesn't show correct mileage, etc.).

No-one seems to have any idea how to resolve it yet.

I was able to connect to the car's wifi network, but it shows no Internet connection also.
I have heard that the genius hotline is excellent for things like this. Maybe your on-board sim just isn't setup right. I would give them a quick call and see what they can figure out. It seems like you have 0 connectivity which would explain all of this. You can also try rebooting the system by holding the volume button in until it reboots. That fixed quite a few things on mine. But the fact the SOS button doesn't work is bad and you should either go to the dealer or call the genius line to get that fixed! Hope it is something quick!
2018 RRS Autobiography - Fuji White (Sold)
2016 BMW M2 - Long Beach Blue (Sold)
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2019, 12:47 PM   #73
aspiring335
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDBrown View Post
I have heard that the genius hotline is excellent for things like this. Maybe your on-board sim just isn't setup right. I would give them a quick call and see what they can figure out. It seems like you have 0 connectivity which would explain all of this. You can also try rebooting the system by holding the volume button in until it reboots. That fixed quite a few things on mine. But the fact the SOS button doesn't work is bad and you should either go to the dealer or call the genius line to get that fixed! Hope it is something quick!
I don't think the genius hotline is available to Canadian customers. The SOS button does now initiate a call to BMW Assist, but the other connectivity issues were still there last time I checked. The car is now with the detailer having a ceramic coating done (and correcting some really bad detailing / paint issues that I didn't notice at delivery), so I'm hoping it's resolved itself by the time I get it tomorrow morning.

Oddly, the car spontaneously rolled all of its windows down and opened the sunroof when it was parked this morning. This was the status that was showing yesterday when I was able to log in to the Connected app (car unlocked, windows open), so I wonder if them reinitiating the connection to the car caused this. The BMW Assist button worked when I got back into the car after this had happened.
      01-10-2019, 01:04 PM   #74
Charles549
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G05 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhatBoyG View Post
Does anyone have a "Playlist" option in iDrive? I only see Artists, Albums, and Tracks. I can't pick a playlist on my iPhone X (iOS 12.1). If I pick it from the phone it plays, and next track works, but I get mixed behavior otherwise.

Bluetooth, FYI.
FWIW I was unable to access playlists on Spotify in Apple Car Play which is exactly what you want to do when driving, use your playlist.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2019, 01:05 PM   #75
ven7782
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i, 2017 Q7 prestige

Quote:
Originally Posted by MystroX5 View Post
Same with X5. My hotspot isn’t activated but WiFi in car is connected to my devices. I can screen mirror my Note 8.
Can you use screen mirror wirelessly? My S9 asks me to connect USB even though I am connected to BMW hotspot wifi.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2019, 06:00 AM   #76
seattli
Kuwait
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 i50 2019

Most x5 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by ven7782 View Post
Can you use screen mirror wirelessly? My S9 asks me to connect USB even though I am connected to BMW hotspot wifi.

i was at the dealer i tried 7 x5s 2019 all screen mirroring not working
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2019, 12:38 PM   #77
DCee
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5

X5 is so broke they are replacing it

I took deliver on 12/5. I have had the car in my possession maybe one week since that time. It has been in the shop the rest of the time. The idrive and phone connectivity is a disaster. It took two trips where they had to do a factory reload of all the software to eventually get everything to work. Was in the shop once because of a check engine light that saved no code so they have no idea what that was all about. Then a few days latter the buttons that control the drive settings stopped working. Since the gear shift is all part of that one assembly they did not think we should continue to drive the vehicle. That assembly does not even have a part number yet so they were unable to even get one. They decided to …….. get this...…… order a replacement vehicle. Good on the dealer for doing what they felt needed to be done but bad on BMW for releasing a vehicle who's electronics seem to be as reliable as Windows 3. The loaner will connect to my iPhone about 50% of the time when you get in the car. If it does connect it will occasionally crash and you have to reboot the entire system. Sometimes the rear lift gate will close and sometimes you have to just grab it and manually push them shut. I have the option of trading my vehicle for the new exact configuration vehicle or just getting my check back. My heart tells me to take the new vehicle but my head tells me to take the offer of them just buying my car back.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2019, 12:57 PM   #78
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

It sounds like a pain but at least they are trying to make it right. It sounds like yours was having many more problems than what most are having here. When it comes right down to it, the problems most are having (mostly phone connections, wifi, 3d view) thankfully do not affect the driving.

While I'm sure I will be aggravated by them, when I pick mine up next week I fully expect that things will not be working in regards to the phone and am going to try any ignore/deal with them and enjoy the driving experience. Is that the way it should be for a vehicle costing $76k, or any amount for that matter, absolutely not but I'm going to try and keep the faith that the problems will be ironed out shortly.

You will have to decide whether you are comfortable being in the same boat or would you rather just walk and go to another brand. I would imagine you had many reasons for choosing the X5 and the ability to connect to your phone was probably way down on the the list. Good luck and let us know how things turn out.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2019, 07:04 AM   #79
stomachdoc
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2016 750i xDrive

Controller, surrounding buttons dark

Got in our 7 day old 2019 X5 with Offroad package this morning and the iDrive controller, height adjustment, Offroad selector and the buttons surrounding the controller are all dark and unresponsive. The touchscreen works fine as does the steering wheel controls. The buttons to the left of the gearshift (drive mode, etc) are all lit and working fine. Voice commands work fine.

Everything was fine up until now. Using the Spare key (my wife uses the one that was set up with the delivery of the car) for the first time. Anyone else with a similar issue? Is this a set up issue with the key? Ill try the volume knob reboot trick later.

Traded in a 2016 7-series which was glitchy too, but the electronics in this X5 are way more complicated....
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2019, 05:56 AM   #80
stomachdoc
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2016 750i xDrive

Software Update

So I dropped the car off at the dealer. The service manager says that there are already two software updates for the car that need to be installed and he feels that should fix the dead iDrive controller/height adjustment/Offroad switch part of the the center control area. Why they wouldn't have done software updates as part of the pre-delivery process last week is a mystery to me.....

To me it looks like an electrical problem, but what do I know?

Gave me a 2019 540i loaner. It's amazing how dated the interior of the 5 looks compared to the X-5.

The service manager thinks we will be back in our X-5 on Monday. We'll see....

Last edited by stomachdoc; 01-26-2019 at 05:57 AM.. Reason: forgot something
Appreciate 1
mnewnam268.00
      01-26-2019, 06:13 AM   #81
ctestb
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i

Good luck
'16 M235i Coupe /// Mineral White - Traded
'14 F10 /// Carbon Black - Traded
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2019, 07:08 AM   #82
Usher9387
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspiring335 View Post
I don't think the genius hotline is available to Canadian customers. The SOS button does now initiate a call to BMW Assist, but the other connectivity issues were still there last time I checked. The car is now with the detailer having a ceramic coating done (and correcting some really bad detailing / paint issues that I didn't notice at delivery), so I'm hoping it's resolved itself by the time I get it tomorrow morning.

Oddly, the car spontaneously rolled all of its windows down and opened the sunroof when it was parked this morning. This was the status that was showing yesterday when I was able to log in to the Connected app (car unlocked, windows open), so I wonder if them reinitiating the connection to the car caused this. The BMW Assist button worked when I got back into the car after this had happened.
Try reset the IDrive by press and hold for 30 seconds. if that's not helped you go to APPS>Installed Apps> Option> update
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2019, 09:15 AM   #83
rmorin1249
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 MSport 40i

This thread is scaring me, kinda. Just ordered a new X5. Hoping the assembly plant is doing a better job making sure vehicles are ready before shipping to dealer. My dealer is about 70 miles away so I'm not looking forward to multiple trips to get the vehicle sorted. Hopefully these glitches are not common to all. This forum is a great resource especially to new owners. Thanks.

COL(Ret), US Army Hagerstown MD
2019 X5 40i MSport Alpine White/Coffee (my 13th BMW)
2015 Mercedes SL400; 2009 Lexus RX350
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2019, 09:23 AM   #84
Beefcake
Second Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep
Drives: X5 45e (2021) / 428i (2014)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolltidef32 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandwi54 View Post
First year, especially early production models, tend to have a slew of problems that are resolved later. That's why a lot of people (including myself) avoid first year models.
Although we brave souls who ordered our X5 in the first year may be, it's not like we're coming out of pocket to get things right.

For those who lease these, it's even more of a non-issue.

Pioneers usually reap rewards. Better to stay ahead of the curve than always dragging ass.

I guess in the end (pun), only the leaders lead....
Ok, so if I read your statements correctly you're saying that because you drive a first year G05, you're a pioneer and leader?

Appreciate 0
      01-26-2019, 11:30 AM   #85
steve090619
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw 540xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by stomachdoc View Post
So I dropped the car off at the dealer. The service manager says that there are already two software updates for the car that need to be installed and he feels that should fix the dead iDrive controller/height adjustment/Offroad switch part of the the center control area. Why they wouldn't have done software updates as part of the pre-delivery process last week is a mystery to me.....

Gave me a 2019 540i loaner. It's amazing how dated the interior of the 5 looks compared to the X-5.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stomachdoc View Post

I own a 540 and absolutely love it. Everything is easy to use and car handles like a sport. Put your 540 loaner in sport plus and you will see difference from a big suv. I was going to trade in my lexus for X5 but I am now going to wait until next year.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2019, 07:04 PM   #86
aspiring335
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Usher9387 View Post
Try reset the IDrive by press and hold for 30 seconds. if that's not helped you go to APPS>Installed Apps> Option> update
Thanks. Luckily all the issues resolved themselves a couple of days after I took delivery when the dealer re-initiated the setup.

Only issue I'm having now is a bit of flakiness with the phone connection. Occasionally it won't connect and the solution seems to be to turn wifi off then on on my phone. Sometimes CarPlay will freeze, disconnect then immediately disconnect as well.
      01-27-2019, 09:43 AM   #87
rolltidef32
National Championship #17 and Counting!
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW i3s and 2019 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefcake View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolltidef32 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandwi54 View Post
First year, especially early production models, tend to have a slew of problems that are resolved later. That's why a lot of people (including myself) avoid first year models.
Although we brave souls who ordered our X5 in the first year may be, it's not like we're coming out of pocket to get things right.

For those who lease these, it's even more of a non-issue.

Pioneers usually reap rewards. Better to stay ahead of the curve than always dragging ass.

I guess in the end (pun), only the leaders lead....
Ok, so if I read your statements correctly you're saying that because you drive a first year G05, you're a pioneer and leader?

Hubris as it was, but your reading comprehensive skills are extraordinary.

Bravo you clever boy!

Packs: Technology, Driver Assistance, HK Audio, Park Distance Control
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2019, 12:57 PM   #88
Bimar
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Bmw X

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeRam View Post

On another forum, I've been reading about the problems a lot of owners of the new gen Cayenne have been having with their cars with software crashes, component failures and such like and dealers not being able to fix them, and not many cars have been delivered to the UK as yet because of the long production halts at the Porsche factories.

I'll be waiting to well into the 2nd full production year before I'll contemplate a G05 order, given that there won't be a diesel Cayenne option anymore.
When does year 2 production start for the X5?
Appreciate 0