02-03-2019, 04:18 AM   #45
EJELITE
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 S5 cab | 2019 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by heinzena View Post
My SA emailed today and said the update won’t be available until end of February.
Oh goodie! I get to man handle a wild animal on my daily venture to work and back for the next 28 days! After my G05's steering performance today in -10F, I'll be dropping it off at the dealership and taking a loaner until they sort this BS out. Bad enough driving with the steering twitch on dry roads, now with ice and snow covered roads BMW can give me something else to pit/chip up for the next few weeks.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2019, 07:30 PM   #46
heinzena
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 340xi M-Sport

Today was down right terrifying. We had an ice storm in MN and I have a 250 mile drive, with 50+ mph cross winds. Temp was -1, which (likely) triggered th steering issues. With the above conditions and having the fight the car, I was absolutely terrified. If I didn’t “have” to be where I was going, I would have driven straight to the dealer and told them to take it and not give it back until this if fixed. The conditions alone could have killed me, but this added another (unnecessary) layer of danger. This is borderline lawsuit worthy.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2019, 08:15 AM   #47
TECHGURU
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 4.0 M-Sport

Agreed!

Quote:
Today was down right terrifying. We had an ice storm in MN and I have a 250 mile drive, with 50+ mph cross winds. Temp was -1, which (likely) triggered th steering issues. With the above conditions and having the fight the car, I was absolutely terrified. If I didn’t “have” to be where I was going, I would have driven straight to the dealer and told them to take it and not give it back until this if fixed. The conditions alone could have killed me, but this added another (unnecessary) layer of danger. This is borderline lawsuit worthy.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2019, 11:51 PM   #48
kal2001
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW x5

Same here. Losing Steering control and like free movement and pushing steering in center in cold weather.

Also have few other issue for my 2019 x5.

Blind spot detection working 50% plus sensor warning.
This is piece of crap after charging nearly 70k and all this headache.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2019, 11:42 AM   #49
Usher9387
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by rneats View Post
Same thing here. The steering gets unmanagable and dangerous in extreme cold. When I called in to the dealership and explained what was going on they acted like I was crazy. My car has been in the shop for 2 days now. No reply. I just called in and read the service department all of the similar comments on this thread telling them this is a real issue. They say there is nothing formal from BMW addressing this issue. This is so disappointing and concerning. I will post an update if I ever get a resolution. The best thing is when I mentioned this problem to the dealers genius personnel they had heard all about it, but someone service hasn't. Doesn't add up. I don't think BMW wants to admit to the problem.
Day before yesterday I was visiting my dealer my CA shown me the steering issue reported on the bmw portal and he was trying to open in front of me he got page not found error that means BMW removed it from their portal.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2019, 12:08 PM   #50
matt123
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rneats View Post
Same thing here. The steering gets unmanagable and dangerous in extreme cold. When I called in to the dealership and explained what was going on they acted like I was crazy. My car has been in the shop for 2 days now. No reply. I just called in and read the service department all of the similar comments on this thread telling them this is a real issue. They say there is nothing formal from BMW addressing this issue. This is so disappointing and concerning. I will post an update if I ever get a resolution. The best thing is when I mentioned this problem to the dealers genius personnel they had heard all about it, but someone service hasn't. Doesn't add up. I don't think BMW wants to admit to the problem.
Tell the dealer they should submit a Puma info only case with the ambient temp of when it happens. they can also contact their technical field rep. A software fix is being developed but no fix as of now.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2019, 01:24 PM   #51
heinzena
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I have been told by my CA that BMW is aware of it and a software patch should be available by EOM
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2019, 03:35 PM   #52
puraj83
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 x5 m50i

Quote:
I have been told by my CA that BMW is aware of it and a software patch should be available by EOM
Mine told me the same thing today... Except he said March.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2019, 08:27 PM   #53
mbhammer
Hammer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Mercedes Benz E63 AMG

See

https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1580973

Post #17.

Known issue, software fix coming.
      02-24-2019, 07:21 PM   #54
heinzena
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Anyone have any updates on this? There are a lot of things “wrong” with the new X5 but this is egregious, unacceptable and IMHO boarderline lawsuit worthy. This is going to get someone killed.
Appreciate 1
EJELITE57.00
      02-24-2019, 10:36 PM   #55
3to5toX5toX7
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 528

I experienced this last week in Colorado. The car was left outside the office for about 10 hours, and the temp was less than 20 degrees all day. The dealer has said there is an open issue, but BMW is seeking more information from people with this issue and has asked that I bring the car by the dealer to download info.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2019, 02:32 AM   #56
EJELITE
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Anyone have any updates on this? There are a lot of things “wrong” with the new X5 but this is egregious, unacceptable and IMHO boarderline lawsuit worthy. This is going to get someone killed.
My X5 has been at the dealership all last week, and will remain there until the 'fix' is released. As for when that will happen, my service advisor said BMW doesn't even have a fix yet, so likely weeks.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2019, 10:10 AM   #57
EJELITE
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

UPDATE

Just got a call from my service advisor. The fix for the steering twitch is not going to be available until June or July. Looks like safety is a top priority for BMW!

He said if I turn the lane assist off, and put it into sport mode the twitch goes away... Now I'm 99% confident that is not the case, as I tried virtually everything I could think of on several occasions when it was twitching. I think the actual motivation behind this is they do not want to keep paying for the rental BMW I'm driving.

Can anyone experiencing this problem confirm if their twitch goes away with the lane assist off and sport mode on? Or should I just go down there and keep the keys for the rental and take mine for a spin to see is they're full of crap or not?
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2019, 10:14 AM   #58
MikeElmendorf
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5/2021 M550

EJELITE -

Wow, if that's true they are going to have a problem on their hands.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2019, 10:22 AM   #59
salfeet84
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X7 M60i

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJELITE View Post
UPDATE

Just got a call from my service advisor. The fix for the steering twitch is not going to be available until June or July. Looks like safety is a top priority for BMW!

He said if I turn the lane assist off, and put it into sport mode the twitch goes away... Now I'm 99% confident that is not the case, as I tried virtually everything I could think of on several occasions when it was twitching. I think the actual motivation behind this is they do not want to keep paying for the rental BMW I'm driving.

Can anyone experiencing this problem confirm if their twitch goes away with the lane assist off and sport mode on? Or should I just go down there and keep the keys for the rental and take mine for a spin to see is they're full of crap or not?
Well that's a bunch of BS..
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2019, 10:25 AM   #60
X5_CC
Captain
Rep
Drives: X5 40i

I am so glad I don't live in a cold climate. This would drive me insane. One would think an emergency fix could be deployed while they work on a permanent fix. That is scary that they can't.

I only felt this twitch once when the temperature got down to 40 or so. It was unnerving.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2019, 11:19 AM   #61
Voltron
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X5

Holding off on my order. This is nuts.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2019, 02:11 PM   #62
heinzena
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
UPDATE

This is either a lie or they are not understanding the issue (my SA also said to put into sport mode several weeks ago). The proposed actions do not fix the twitch.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2019, 02:41 PM   #63
Usher9387
Banned
Canada
Rep

EJELITE, When I noticed the twitch I turned off the lane assist/intervention but there was no difference. Luckily, I am having the loaner for another few weeks to fix my start switch.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2019, 02:56 PM   #64
EJELITE
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
This is either a lie or they are not understanding the issue (my SA also said to put into sport mode several weeks ago). The proposed actions do not fix the twitch.
Just got back from the dealership and took it for a drive. It had been parked outside for about 2 hours (-5F today) and the steering issue is still there no matter what mode and safety assists were turned off. I'm not even calling it a twitch anymore, because in these temperatures it just fully steers wherever it wants. It's only a 'twitch' at around 20F I've found.

I think this is going to turn into a full on battle with the dealer. They seemed completely bewildered both times I went down there and refused to take my car. They desperately want this rental back, which leads me to believe BMW NA are the ones completely neglecting the problem. What does the dealership care if I keep the rental while mine is out of service due to warranty issues - they're supposed to be compensated by BMW for providing alternate transportation, no???
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2019, 03:00 PM   #65
Usher9387
Banned
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Just got back from the dealership and took it for a drive. It had been parked outside for about 2 hours (-5F today) and the steering issue is still there no matter what mode and safety assists were turned off. I'm not even calling it a twitch anymore, because in these temperatures it just fully steers wherever it wants. It's only a 'twitch' at around 20F I've found.

I think this is going to turn into a full on battle with the dealer. They seemed completely bewildered both times I went down there and refused to take my car. They desperately want this rental back, which leads me to believe BMW NA are the ones completely neglecting the problem. What does the dealership care if I keep the rental while mine is out of service due to warranty issues - they're supposed to be compensated by BMW for providing alternate transportation, no???
BMW Canada aware of this issue check with the different dealership
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2019, 04:34 PM   #66
geddylee
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7, 2019 X5

This is just an embarrassment for the brand. For BMW to not take complete and full responsibility for this is completely mind boggling. People use these cars to haul their families around and expect safety issues such as these to be fully vetted well before the cars are available for sale.
Appreciate 0