08-24-2019, 03:09 PM   #23
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
Originally Posted by 787Pilot View Post
Everyday I go into my garage with another bright idea and in the end it doesn't work. I've tried everything that moves or shake on that car and it's never the slightest of change. It's a sound that make you think it's easy to find. It sounds like it's coming from the rear but if you sit in the rear, you can't hear it while the person in the front can still hear it clearly. A passenger said they heard other clicking from their seat that I don't even hear from the driver's seat. It's strange.
The dealer replaced the transfer case on my X3 shortly after buying it. On the trip home, I would hear a knock and sometimes a rattle, depended on the road, the bumps, the speed, etc. I thought it was the back seats not being locked upright and in fact when I stopped, one of them was not locked into position. However, it wasn't the seats, couldn't figure it out.

Then I thought maybe it was related to the work the dealer did, like something loose under the car. So I jacked it up, removed the plastic covering and inspected but found nothing but a nice clean undercarriage. So I taped my iPhone under the car pointing at the U joints and started the video and took it around the block. I heard the noise while driving it but when watching the video, it was a smooth as silk.

Finally after a week of hearing the noise, I gave up trying to find it, took it to the dealer and they found that one of the bolts securing the transfer case apparently was not tightened and came loose. The nut vibrated off the bolt and that left the bolt bouncing around because it was too long to fully back out and fall out. Good thing too, otherwise I might not have ever known about it.

Ok, so my reason for all this is to hint that possibly your noise is coming from under the car. The bottom of the car asks like a soundboard in a piano, the cause could be at one end but you hear it somewhere else.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2019, 04:24 PM   #24
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

787Pilot,
Go here and read post #6 --> https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1594375
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2019, 01:20 PM   #25
verruckt
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F82 M4, G05 X5, Gen 2 Raptor

From someone who has been around BMW for a while, and even worked for them - If you want the real solution to the problem, my answer is simple:

BMW AG needs to get up the ass of BMW NA on the production side. Quality is seriously slipping both in production and QA at the end, and so is Customer Service.

BMW AG runs things completely different and is very serious about Quality and Customer Satisfaction. I think its time they reign in BMW NA.

On the side of the issue you're having it makes me chuckle, reminding me of people in the F82 M4 forum complaining that the car was rattling and squeaking LOL. I always have to chuckle when I hear about M cars interiors rattling... its kind of expected with the rigidity of the chassis... "Hey my M4 is rattling when I put the suspension on Sport+! What Gives!!!"

In a G05 though? Not as acceptable so much, but I know some customers take that very seriously. Almost too seriously.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2019, 07:57 AM   #26
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
I'm concerned because I have another on its way that all of a sudden after less than 2 weeks of giving the other back now says, "Awaiting Carrier"..
Why would you be concerned about this? I read it as the dealer and/or BMW stepped up and got you into an early production slot in order to try and get you a replacement as soon as possible.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2019, 01:03 PM   #27
787Pilot
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
Why would you be concerned about this? I read it as the dealer and/or BMW stepped up and got you into an early production slot in order to try and get you a replacement as soon as possible.
Your read would not be totally accurate. Yes, the dealership “stepped up” and took my car back almost immediately and provided me with a loaner. But as far as ordering me another one, it was just a normal order, nothing about an early production slot. Anyone would have gotten that slot.

I’m thrilled to death about having the new car soon. But my only concern is this car is on its way and no one has figured out the issue with the first 2 cars.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2019, 01:41 PM   #28
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I’m thrilled to death about having the new car soon. But my only concern is this car is on its way and no one has figured out the issue with the first 2 cars.
If that is your only concern, rest assured that no matter what the dealer would have found, it would not have been cranked into the car you are about to get from the factory. The factory is a machine, churning out one car after the other without regard to dealer input. They leave it up to us and the dealers to fix whatever is found.

You, like any other customer, will just have to wait n see, unfortunately
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2019, 01:47 PM   #29
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Your read would not be totally accurate. Yes, the dealership “stepped up” and took my car back almost immediately and provided me with a loaner. But as far as ordering me another one, it was just a normal order, nothing about an early production slot. Anyone would have gotten that slot.

Got it, my bad. I misread and thought you were concerned about the car being produced so fast.

Since very, very few of X5s produced seem to have this issue the odds of you getting another one should be quite small. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2019, 02:53 PM   #30
787Pilot
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
Since very, very few of X5s produced seem to have this issue the odds of you getting another one should be quite small. Good luck.
I hope so! Still, I've tried out lots of cars over the past week, from Range Rover Sports, to Cayennes to Mercedes GLE's and nothing can compare to the X5 when it's right.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2019, 09:49 AM   #31
rneats
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Agree 100%! There are so many bugs in the electronics of these cars, it's ridiculous for the amount of money spent. The hassle I've had with the electronics has overshadowed the performance of the car for me. I am not happy with my decision to purchase this car.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2019, 05:14 PM   #32
COBodom
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 540i

I dont have X5 but...

My G30 also makes clicking and popping sounds. Its to the point when Its actually funny. I would be getting in my car that was parked outside in hot weather, I would turn the AC on and long behold the cold air invites a symphony of clicks and pops from all over the dash.

Its sucks big time. While the materials should be flexible, they most definitely shouldn't generate unwanted soundtrack.

F10 5 series did not do that. Had two of those.
      08-30-2019, 07:57 PM   #33
X5_CC
Captain
Rep
Drives: X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by COBodom View Post

My G30 also makes clicking and popping sounds. Its to the point when Its actually funny. I would be getting in my car that was parked outside in hot weather, I would turn the AC on and long behold the cold air invites a symphony of clicks and pops from all over the dash.
My old Yukon had the symphony of clicks and pops when driving away after it had been in the sun. I absolutely hated it... to the point I would grab the whole damn center console and shake it after getting in the car to get the clicks and pops over with before driving off

Luckily my X5 doesn't do that from the dash. It isn't silent elsewhere though (creaks somewhere in the second row or trunk area).
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2019, 06:51 PM   #34
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
******UPDATE*******

The Service Manager saw me today and called me into his office. He said BMW issued a Bulletin last Thursday for the same complaints that I have been having. Now I was so relieved because I thought that meant they knew what it was, how to fix it and prevent it from happening in the first place. However, he said BMW just offered 6 different points or locations to look for the noise. There was no "Fix" but the Bulletin didn't pinpoint the problem.
Do you plan to post the six areas here?
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2019, 04:40 PM   #35
James_G0540i
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 G05 40i M Sport

To be honest, I dont think the G05 was Production Ready when they released it last year, I think it was rushed out too early.

I've started the onerous task of requesting a replacement vehicle, as I've just lost complete confidence in the car.

Most of my issues have been software, but I have had the catalytic converter replaced (a vent was stuck causing a loud rattling), along with the main ECU (head unit) of the car which for whatever reason "died" during an attempted S/W upgrade.
The car is back at the service department of the dealer, trying to work out what is wrong - see my issues on 07/2019.39. I've attached a list of fault codes when the service guy read my key.

To be honest, I regret giving up my 2015 F15, it was so damn solid - nothing on that thing ever went wrong - which gave me the confidence to upgrade to an G05. What a mistake!

Anyone had experience(s) with trying to get a replacement car under Warranty?

Any advice people can offer on this would be greatly appreciated.....

We dont have lemon laws here in Oz, but I've started discussing with our Consumer Affairs and there's lots of protection under warranty obligations.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf BMWX5_AZJ373-Fault-codes0001.pdf (604.4 KB, 594 views)
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2019, 02:04 AM   #36
787Pilot
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

I'm so frustrated and disappointed, I haven't posted in awhile.

They took my 2019 X5 5.0 back and I ordered a 2020 X5 M5.0. It arrived September 28. But it does the same. I'm not taking it into the dealer because the situation is just too stressful. All they do is ride around, listen to it and still not able to figure out what it is. It sounds like seat belts clicking or marbles clicking against each other.

BMW NA knows about the complaints from others, but I've heard no solution.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2020, 09:18 PM   #37
787Pilot
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'm so frustrated and disappointed, I haven't posted in awhile.

They took my 2019 X5 5.0 back and I ordered a 2020 X5 M5.0. It arrived September 28. But it does the same. I'm not taking it into the dealer because the situation is just too stressful. All they do is ride around, listen to it and still not able to figure out what it is. It sounds like seat belts clicking or marbles clicking against each other.

BMW NA knows about the complaints from others, but I've heard no solution.
A few weeks ago it developed an oil leak with only 1300 miles on it that required the passenger side of the engine to basically be torn down.

I really love the X5, especially the M50. But enough is enough. I don't know what to do next.

So for now, I resolved the problems for good. I got rid of the car!
Appreciate 0