BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-29-2019, 03:07 AM   #1
Ninefourteener
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i, 2020 Alfa 4C

Extended warrantee? Cost?

I pick up my 2020 M50i in January (fingers crossed). The car is already paid for 100% in full.

With every other new car I've ever bought, generally at the time of "pickup", they attempt to sell you wheel & tire protection, extended warrantee, etc.

I generally decline.... but this time, I'm actually considering extending my warrantee..... if it's available.

Will I be offered this? If so, anyone have any ideas what it will cost? It will be a "cash out of pocket at the moment" kind of thing, so I'd like to be prepared for it.
6-Piston/4-piston BBK:https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=2097342
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2019, 07:16 AM   #2
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninefourteener View Post
I pick up my 2020 M50i in January (fingers crossed). The car is already paid for 100% in full.

With every other new car I've ever bought, generally at the time of "pickup", they attempt to sell you wheel & tire protection, extended warrantee, etc.

I generally decline.... but this time, I'm actually considering extending my warrantee..... if it's available.

Will I be offered this? If so, anyone have any ideas what it will cost? It will be a "cash out of pocket at the moment" kind of thing, so I'd like to be prepared for it.
Not sure how dealers work in Europe but money is money and my guess is they will certainly try to upsell their products, tire/wheel road hazard, extended warranty, etc. because that is where they make more profit. However, my purpose for responding to your post is to ask why you are changing your standard process and considering buying an extended warranty for the G05.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2019, 08:10 AM   #3
elbandito
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW x5 40i

Quote:

They tried to sell me tire protection for $2500. That was just tire and time; the scratch + ding protection was even more. I declined. It didn’t make sense to me. I would need to do $2500 worth of damage before this protection would be worth it. Also warranties can be purchased any time before the 4yr/50k new car warranty expires. They will try to scare you by saying if you don’t purchase within 30 days, the price will go up 15%. Still worth declining initially and you can always shop around and purchase one from another dealership too if they give you a more competitive price. You can buy the warranty from any dealership
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2019, 11:10 AM   #4
Ninefourteener
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i, 2020 Alfa 4C

Thanks.... yes, I am in Europe, but I bought a US spec car, through a US military sales dealership. So, for warrantee purposes, it will essentially be the same as any other US dealership.

I didn't know however..... that prices may vary between dealerships. I guess I assumed that the price for extended warrantees would be "standardized".

I'm considering it, because 95% of the work on cars I do myself, because I don't trust anyone (I even did my own oil changes on my last BMW, even though it was free from the dealer I bought it from).

I don't trust mechanics. I know how they operate. I know the scams, and I've caught them IN THE ACT of lying and cheating more times than I could count. Why? Because I am a mechanic... I've been building, hotrodding, and restoring cars for over 25 years. I've done 12 auto restorations, 2 motorcycle restorations, and countless "highly modded" cars. 2 even ended up in magazines (a 1972 Porsche 914, and a 1977 Pontiac Trans Am)... although I received zero credit for either . Anyway, 99 out of 100 times, I know more about the car than the mechanic does. I am a dishonest mechanic's worst nightmare.... and to date, I've had 2 mechanics fired on the spot. Not joking or exaggerating at all.

Almost every mechanic you come across, cannot appropriately diagnose a problem unless they can plug into the obd port and have the computer tell them what's wrong. If the computer doesn't know.... they don't know. Trust me, I'm 100% right on this..... even at the highest-level dealerships. Most have 1 or 2 "actual" qualified mechanics.... and everyone else is nothing but a high school dropout trained how to change oil and perform a tire swap.

But..... this "particular" vehicle.... it is more "technologically" advanced than anything I've ever owned, and while I posess the skills and tools to "replace" anything that breaks.... I may not have the ability to "code" it appropriately.... nor do I want to "pay" for complicated electronic parts.

So.... with all that said, what kind of price should I expect to increase my bumper-to-bumper warrantee from 50k miles to 75k? 100k? Rough estimate? How will I know if I should pass on it, or go ahead and spend the money?

Last edited by Ninefourteener; 10-29-2019 at 11:33 AM..
Appreciate 1
      10-29-2019, 10:26 PM   #5
spike5150
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

I paid $4,466 for 7 years, 125,000 mile warranty. Not bumper to bumper, but major mechanical components. My concern is the engine, primarily. This was for a $101k msrp M50i. Bumper to bumper was in the $8k range iirc.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2019, 01:17 AM   #6
NWAviator
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive40i

I just completed the purchase process today and went through the full wringer of finance department add-ons. This is where months of lurking here paid off. There are numerous threads with helpful advice. I did not add them today, but may before the 3/36000 is up.

Fair to say that the finance manager must hate this forum because as soon as I mentioned it, pricing fell dramatically on both the Ultimate Care + and the extended warranty. Even with that, the best pricing came from a different dealer via. a referral here on the forum. No BS, best price right up front. (Not sure about the rules of posting her contact info. so PM me if you want more details).

There are some real good people here in this forum and they made the most expensive car purchase I've ever made the easiest I've ever made.
Appreciate 1
lumpydog690.50
      10-30-2019, 03:02 PM   #7
KT_OH
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 xDrive 50e

I waited about 30 days after original purchase - Platinum coverage plan from dealer for 5 yr/100,000 miles for $2,450
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2019, 12:18 PM   #8
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by KT_OH View Post
I waited about 30 days after original purchase - Platinum coverage plan from dealer for 5 yr/100,000 miles for $2,450
Is that a warranty or a maintenance plan? Seems like a really good deal for an extended warranty.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2019, 12:23 PM   #9
imyb
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50D

I need a mechanic like you

Quote:
Thanks.... yes, I am in Europe, but I bought a US spec car, through a US military sales dealership. So, for warrantee purposes, it will essentially be the same as any other US dealership.

I didn't know however..... that prices may vary between dealerships. I guess I assumed that the price for extended warrantees would be "standardized".

I'm considering it, because 95% of the work on cars I do myself, because I don't trust anyone (I even did my own oil changes on my last BMW, even though it was free from the dealer I bought it from).

I don't trust mechanics. I know how they operate. I know the scams, and I've caught them IN THE ACT of lying and cheating more times than I could count. Why? Because I am a mechanic... I've been building, hotrodding, and restoring cars for over 25 years. I've done 12 auto restorations, 2 motorcycle restorations, and countless "highly modded" cars. 2 even ended up in magazines (a 1972 Porsche 914, and a 1977 Pontiac Trans Am)... although I received zero credit for either . Anyway, 99 out of 100 times, I know more about the car than the mechanic does. I am a dishonest mechanic's worst nightmare.... and to date, I've had 2 mechanics fired on the spot. Not joking or exaggerating at all.

Almost every mechanic you come across, cannot appropriately diagnose a problem unless they can plug into the obd port and have the computer tell them what's wrong. If the computer doesn't know.... they don't know. Trust me, I'm 100% right on this..... even at the highest-level dealerships. Most have 1 or 2 "actual" qualified mechanics.... and everyone else is nothing but a high school dropout trained how to change oil and perform a tire swap.

But..... this "particular" vehicle.... it is more "technologically" advanced than anything I've ever owned, and while I posess the skills and tools to "replace" anything that breaks.... I may not have the ability to "code" it appropriately.... nor do I want to "pay" for complicated electronic parts.

So.... with all that said, what kind of price should I expect to increase my bumper-to-bumper warrantee from 50k miles to 75k? 100k? Rough estimate? How will I know if I should pass on it, or go ahead and spend the money?