12-02-2019, 06:00 PM   #23
roadkillrob
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335i,22 X3M, 2012 C63 Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikestpierre View Post
I appreciate the response, but I should have specified that I’m not looking for discouragement, just suggestions for upgrades and modifications to make it up to the trip. It’s more than capable, and I bought it to beat the hell out of it while having fun doing it.
I agree it is a pretty capable car, but the most minor amount of damage here in the city 15 minutes from the dealer can take days to get parts and get things repaired, everything takes a computer hookup to fix. I grew up in Northern Ontario, you will be 100's and 100's of miles from anywhere that even has a hope in hell of fixing the car if you hit a rock the wrong way. I am just trying to be realistic about the situations you may find yourself in, what happens if you break it 800 miles from a place capable of fixing it?

In February going where you are going, plan on being able to survive when your car breaks down possibly for days, basically take what you would need to camp at -40C.
Appreciate 1
      12-18-2019, 06:12 PM   #24
mikestpierre
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: F98 - X4M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadkillrob View Post
I agree it is a pretty capable car, but the most minor amount of damage here in the city 15 minutes from the dealer can take days to get parts and get things repaired, everything takes a computer hookup to fix. I grew up in Northern Ontario, you will be 100's and 100's of miles from anywhere that even has a hope in hell of fixing the car if you hit a rock the wrong way. I am just trying to be realistic about the situations you may find yourself in, what happens if you break it 800 miles from a place capable of fixing it?

In February going where you are going, plan on being able to survive when your car breaks down possibly for days, basically take what you would need to camp at -40C.
Totally understand and appreciate the difficulty in getting service in a remote area. I plan on having enough supplies and equipment to camp/survive for up to a week. Food, water, shelter, all of the above,

I’m absolutely accustomed to camping in those conditions for extended periods of time, so that part of it is under control.

As for what to do if it breaks down in the middle of nowhere? Pay a fortune to have it towed to the nearest place that can work on it.

✌️
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2019, 06:29 PM   #25
The Libertine
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Porsche Macan

Quote:
I would take a different car.
I second the recommendation.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2019, 07:50 PM   #26
mhodx5
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5 M50i ordered

Quote:
Quote:

Totally understand and appreciate the difficulty in getting service in a remote area. I plan on having enough supplies and equipment to camp/survive for up to a week. Food, water, shelter, all of the above,

I’m absolutely accustomed to camping in those conditions for extended periods of time, so that part of it is under control.

As for what to do if it breaks down in the middle of nowhere? Pay a fortune to have it towed to the nearest place that can work on it.

✌️
Keep us posted on your journey
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2019, 09:15 AM   #27
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 iX xDrive50, DGM

Garage List
Two words. Satellite phone.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2020, 12:22 AM   #28
Ryan5034
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 50i

Garage List
So did the trip ever happen? How was it?
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2020, 03:55 AM   #29
sjak92
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G05 30d MY24 + G20 M340i MY24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arfy View Post
Quote:
I am planning a 4 week tour from Central PA to Tuktoyaktuk in northern NWT this February. I expect to see blizzards, off-road situations, minor river fording, mud, extreme low temperatures.. etc...

My current G05 40i does not have the off road package, but I did put the General Grabber off-road wheels/tires on this past week. I am looking for recommendations of modifications, accessories, suggestions for a trip of this length with the harsh weather I'm sure to face.

Thoughts I had...

- Suspension upgrade to raise the ground clearance, but I do not want to turn it into a monster truck. Ground clearance rec?
- Tire Chains
- Shovel/sand/salt
- Electric winch
- Some underbody waterproofing
- Skid plate for oil pan
- Roof basket for storing extra fuel, along with a tow hitch basket. Currently do not have a tow hitch and am going to hold off it causes an issue with clearance.
- Full spare wheel/tire combo with hydraulic jack

Help me turn this beast into the most comfortable off-road/winter monster I can!
Hey. Great trip. Water crossings will be your worst enemy. You need to see where the air intake is and protect it. I am use to living in country Australia and i also just bought an x5 G05 diesel. To be honest i have taken my VW Polo many city people use 4wd. I dont see much benifit in the off road pack other than protection. I looked at that. It comes down to driving skill.

Take a tarp that covers the front if the car and when crossing water lock it in 2nd and gentle constant pace. See sample i found on internet. You need to build a bow wave in front of the car and sit behind it. Water level is lower behind the small bow wave.

Underbody protection is good as well its worth getting not plastic stuff though. I think BMW have a alloy or steel not sure. Check aftermarket but it a bit soon for aftermarket stuff for the G05.

Communication in Australia we use UHF or sat phone.

Additional driving lights. I have laser lights on my X5. Have not had a chance to test them going to the farm yet. Good led light bar. Best is Australian brand Ultravision Nitro Maxx. Google it.

Roof rack is good idea. Extra fuel as well. Good quality fuel containers. Since its petrol !! Fire extinguisher and good first aid kit.

Not sure how you are going to install an electric winch on an x5 since there are no front bull bars made for it. Hand winch maybe but you need easy access connection points . Because ifvyou need to winch it usually means you are bogged or stuck somehow and that usually means connection points are buried in mud or under water or jammed against rock.
You know the original post was last year right?
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2020, 04:09 AM   #30
Arfy
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 30d

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjak92 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
I am planning a 4 week tour from Central PA to Tuktoyaktuk in northern NWT this February. I expect to see blizzards, off-road situations, minor river fording, mud, extreme low temperatures.. etc...

My current G05 40i does not have the off road package, but I did put the General Grabber off-road wheels/tires on this past week. I am looking for recommendations of modifications, accessories, suggestions for a trip of this length with the harsh weather I'm sure to face.

Thoughts I had...

- Suspension upgrade to raise the ground clearance, but I do not want to turn it into a monster truck. Ground clearance rec?
- Tire Chains
- Shovel/sand/salt
- Electric winch
- Skid plate for oil pan
- Roof basket for storing extra fuel, along with a tow hitch basket. Currently do not have a tow hitch and am going to hold off it causes an issue with clearance.

Help me turn this beast into the most comfortable off-road/winter monster I can!
Hey. Great trip. Water crossings will be your worst enemy. You need to see where the air intake is and protect it. I am use to living in country Australia and i also just bought an x5 G05 diesel. To be honest i have taken my VW Polo many city people use 4wd. I dont see much benifit in the off road pack other than protection. I looked at that. It comes down to driving skill.

Take a tarp that covers the front if the car and when crossing water lock it in 2nd and gentle constant pace. See sample i found on internet. You need to build a bow wave in front of the car and sit behind it. Water level is lower behind the small bow wave.

Underbody protection is good as well its worth getting not plastic stuff though. I think BMW have a alloy or steel not sure. Check aftermarket but it a bit soon for aftermarket stuff for the G05.

Additional driving lights. I have laser lights on my X5. Have not had a chance to test them going to the farm yet. Good led light bar. Best is Australian brand Ultravision Nitro Maxx. Google it.

Roof rack is good idea. Extra fuel as well. Good quality fuel containers. Since its petrol !! Fire extinguisher and good first aid kit.

Not sure how you are going to install an electric winch on an x5 since there are no front bull bars made for it. Hand winch maybe but you need easy access connection points . Because ifvyou need to winch it usually means you are bogged or stuck somehow and that usually means connection points are buried in mud or under water or jammed against rock.
Lol no . Doh. Are they still stuck there.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2020, 04:22 PM   #31
mhodx5
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5 M50i ordered

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjak92 View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Thoughts I had...

- Tire Chains
- Shovel/sand/salt
- Electric winch
- Skid plate for oil pan

Lol no . Doh. Are they still stuck there.
Any update?
Appreciate 0