BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-21-2020, 07:56 PM   #1
alpinekarthik
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5

Stealth Hitch - Question

Hey guys, I just got the stealth hitch installed and and noticed some silver mesh type of thing under the car and it feels like it's not 100% stealth or the installer messed up. Can someone please take a look and let me know if this looks alright?[IMG][/IMG]
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-21-2020, 08:26 PM   #2
James_G0540i
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 G05 40i M Sport

I also have a stealth hitch, and looks like the installer has completely taken off and removed the black protective panel on your car. Either that, or he got over excited on the cut out and made it too large.

The proper practice is to cutout a very small section of that panel, just enough to enable you to insert the towbar into the vertical receiver underneath.

I had mine installed by my BMW dealer, and he cutout a section of that panel. You can only see a small portion of that protective mesh. I'll take some pics later and post.

In the mean time, I'd go back and ask for that panel to be re-installed, minus the small cutout.

Did you get a dealer to install the towbar?
Appreciate 2
XMan9.00
      01-21-2020, 08:28 PM   #3
alpinekarthik
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by James_G0530d View Post
I also have a stealth hitch, and looks like the installer has completely taken off and removed the black protective panel on your car.

The proper practice is to cutout a small section of that panel, just enough to enable you to insert the towbar into the vertical receiver underneath.

I had mine installed by the dealer, and he cutout a section of that panel. You can only see a small portion of that protective mesh. I'll take some pics later and post.

In the mean time, I'd go back and ask for that panel to be re-installed, minus the small cutout.

Did you get a dealer to install the towbar?
No I took it to Road & Rack my mistake. Thanks for your time on this, love to see some pictures.

You are talking about this step right? See attached picture
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-21-2020, 08:35 PM   #4
James_G0540i
Captain
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpinekarthik View Post
No I took it to Road & Rack my mistake. Thanks for your time on this, love to see some pictures.
No worries.
Also, make sure the towbar installation has been coded into the car's computers/ECU. You should see a "Trailer Mode" in the car's settings.

You can either choose to enable Trailer mode before you connect the trailer, OR after you have connected the trailer the car sensors that a trailer has been connected and automatically goes into that mode.

The trailer mode disables certain functions, and applies a stability program specific to towing.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2020, 08:36 PM   #5
James_G0540i
Captain
Australia
Rep

Thumbs up

Quote:

You are talking about this step right? See attached picture
yep, correct.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2020, 08:37 PM   #6
alpinekarthik
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
No worries.
Also, make sure the towbar installation has been coded into the car's computers/ECU. You should see a "Trailer Mode" in the car's settings.

You can either choose to enable Trailer mode before you connect the trailer, OR after you have connected the trailer the car sensors that a trailer has been connected and automatically goes into that mode.

The trailer mode disables certain functions, and applies a stability program specific to towing.
Thanks! I'll look into that as well.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2020, 10:52 PM   #7
James_G0540i
Captain
Australia
Rep

Here's mine....
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      01-21-2020, 10:53 PM   #8
alpinekarthik
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Here's mine....
Thanks for sharing!!
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2020, 12:29 AM   #9
Mikli
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G05F36F16F82E90E86E46E36E30

Mine is similar. The instructions asked to cut this large template which I think is too much. But replacing this panel and recutting seems a waste of money.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2020, 01:25 AM   #10
James_G0540i
Captain
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikli View Post
Mine is similar. The instructions asked to cut this large template which I think is too much. But replacing this panel and recutting seems a waste of money.
Does anyone know the part # and how much that panel costs?
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2020, 07:38 PM   #11
Gurujin
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2020 G05, 2016 F10

Mine looks exactly the same.
I got it done today at a recommended installer from Stealth Hitch's website.
Not sure why they had to make such a huge cutout.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-04-2020, 05:40 PM   #12
Paulito240
Rep
Drives: 2019 Black Sapphire BMW X5 40i

Has anyone been able to code the X5 to activate tow mode with the Stealth Hitch?

I've got mine installed for towing and would like to find a way to activate that mode.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2020, 09:33 PM   #13
James_G0540i
Captain
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulito240 View Post
Has anyone been able to code the X5 to activate tow mode with the Stealth Hitch?

I've got mine installed for towing and would like to find a way to activate that mode.
You have to get it done by a BMW dealer (Service). I haven't heard of anyone being able to code it themselves.

I'm not sure if the dealer will do the coding on a 3rd party tow-bar installation.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2020, 09:54 PM   #14
Bking60
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 2019

We installed that hitch ourselves, The larger cutout on the passenger side is for room to get your hand in there to turn the big spring loaded knob until it clicks and stays cocked and ready to insert the receiver part. Ours is the model just for a bike rack, no chain connections for towing.
I’ve been on here before but after awhile they deleted my email etc.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2020, 10:10 PM   #15
James_G0540i
Captain
Australia
Rep

I have since painted the exposed silver mesh sections black.

Basically bought myself a can of black enamel automotive paint, removed that upper-inner panel and sprayed it with a couple of coats. I also sprayed the larger panel (using some cardboard to contain the spray to the silver area), and it looks awesome, blends in perfectly with the lower part and no more stand out..

I agree, the silver heat mesh stands out too much, doesn't look professional, looks like something took a bite out of that area.

Dealers should be doing this when installing the after-factory stealth hitch.

***UPDATE*** - pics below.
Attached Images

Last edited by James_G0540i; 09-05-2020 at 12:55 AM..
Appreciate 3
Gurujin21.00
X5Salty34.00
Cooltones241.00
      09-14-2020, 09:05 PM   #16
Gurujin
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2020 G05, 2016 F10

Quote:
I have since painted the exposed silver mesh sections black.

Basically bought myself a can of black enamel automotive paint, removed that upper-inner panel and sprayed it with a couple of coats. I also sprayed the larger panel (using some cardboard to contain the spray to the silver area), and it looks awesome, blends in perfectly with the lower part and no more stand out..

I agree, the silver heat mesh stands out too much, doesn't look professional, looks like something took a bite out of that area.

Dealers should be doing this when installing the after-factory stealth hitch.

***UPDATE*** - pics below.
Looks great!
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2020, 05:45 AM   #17
JJ Aviator
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X5 40i

I had my stealth hitch installed yesterday by my local dealer but they didn’t program “tow mode”. Did anyone else have any issues getting the service center to activate that setting?
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2020, 07:25 AM   #18
mikester6
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 40iX

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Aviator View Post
I had my stealth hitch installed yesterday by my local dealer but they didn’t program “tow mode”. Did anyone else have any issues getting the service center to activate that setting?
You need the BMW harness and BMW control module to be able to use that feature. The BMW harness has been on been on back order since forever so they aren’t included in the stealth hitch kit. I’m waiting till they are able to get some stock before I make my purchase.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2020, 01:23 PM   #19
JJ Aviator
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikester6 View Post
You need the BMW harness and BMW control module to be able to use that feature. The BMW harness has been on been on back order since forever so they aren’t included in the stealth hitch kit. I’m waiting till they are able to get some stock before I make my purchase.
Ah!! That makes sense. So without the tow mode when I connect a trailer the lights will work and sensors will still be disabled, I just cannot manually change that setting if I connect a bike rack for example?
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2020, 01:57 PM   #20
SWBOS
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Soon - X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Aviator View Post
Ah!! That makes sense. So without the tow mode when I connect a trailer the lights will work and sensors will still be disabled, I just cannot manually change that setting if I connect a bike rack for example?
If you have had the Stealth Hitch with the Tow capability then it's likely that your installer used the Stealth wiring / controller that was supplied by Stealth with the Tow kit. In this case the trailer lights will all work but to the best of my knowledge, none of your sensors will be disabled.

In order to get the true "Trailer Mode" that is part of iDrive you would need both the BMW controller and wiring harness. Personally I'm still holding out hope that Stealth themselves will release a Tow kit with the BMW electronics.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2020, 06:23 PM   #21
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

There are ways to get the lights to work with any CANBUS system (like the BMW uses), but you need a module to talk to the vehicle's computer to get it to recognize something is plugged in...it's normally just the act of plugging something into the towing connector that triggers tow mode once you have that module installed and the main computer is programmed to look for it. The OEM module can also monitor the state of the lights in the trailer, or could...I haven't plugged anything into mine yet.

This may be dated, but it used to be only Westphalia was the OEM supplier of the tow package sold in Europe either OEM or as an aftermarket, or RightConnections that had a module that works(ed) in a BMW to enable the full functionality.

Personally, I don't mind the look of the US factory hitch option, and it is less expensive and covered by warranty versus aftermarket units. Plus, enables all of the built in stuff automatically.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2020, 07:09 AM   #22
JJ Aviator
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWBOS View Post
If you have had the Stealth Hitch with the Tow capability then it's likely that your installer used the Stealth wiring / controller that was supplied by Stealth with the Tow kit. In this case the trailer lights will all work but to the best of my knowledge, none of your sensors will be disabled.

In order to get the true "Trailer Mode" that is part of iDrive you would need both the BMW controller and wiring harness. Personally I'm still holding out hope that Stealth themselves will release a Tow kit with the BMW electronics.
StealthHitch mentions on their website that they can remote program the "Tow Mode" for you. So I assumed their wiring harness and control module would communicate with BMW
Appreciate 0