BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

09-26-2020, 06:43 PM   #1
ketrab
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 F25 2.8i , '21 G5 45e

Confused with Driving Assistance Professional Package - Please help!

Hi,

Ordering my e45 with priority for safety. I'm confused on what APP really does compared to "standard safety features".

From the website "Steering and Lane Control Assistant; Emergency Stop Assistant to bring the vehicle to a stop in case of a health emergency; and Evasion Aid to assist in critical approach situations by reacting to vehicles and pedestrians in front of you."

- lane control and emergency stop is part of the standard feature so I have no clue how this differ?

-Evasion aid - not sure if this is also in standard or not.

Bottom line I really wish if someone could help me explain how does that package improves overall safety. I don't really care about dynamic cruise control.

Thank you in advance!
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2020, 07:11 PM   #2
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

I believe this package should be ordered by everyone. Not only will folks end up using the cruise control features but it also does add some safety features.

The first thing added is the side collision avoidance which will keep you from turning into a vehicle beside you as well as move you to the side/brake when a vehicle beside you starts turning into you.

The emergency stop assistant isn't a standard feature. This is where the parking brake can be pulled and held by the driver or a passenger when there is a medical emergency. The vehicle will be stopped, pulled to the shoulder in some instances and an emergency call placed.

The Evasion assistant also is not standard. It will help the driver when trying to make a maneuver to avoid an accident or obstacle. One of our members had an experience with that and it worked well in assisting with steering and avoiding the accident happening in front of him.

Front cross traffic alert is also included in the package.
Appreciate 2
volodp193.50
      09-26-2020, 08:12 PM   #3
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ketrab View Post
Ordering my e45 with priority for safety. I'm confused on what APP really does compared to "standard safety features"
My possibly wrong interpretation, but using the wording from the website and manual:

italics are text from the owner's manual, website text is noted as such

From BMWNA Ordering Guide:
Driving Assistance Professional Package
• 5AR Extended Traffic Jam Assistant for limited access highways
Extended Traffic Jam Assistant supports the driver with vehicle control in traffic jam situations. Steering support takes place without the driver actively steering.

• 5AU Active Driving Assistant Pro
Website: "Traffic Jam Assist; Steering and Lane Control Assistant; Emergency Stop Assistant to bring the vehicle to a stop in case of a health emergency; and Evasion Aid"
(see below, TurtleBoy covered the emergency stop)

Driving Assistance Pro Package includes:
• ACC w/ Stop & Go,
As you know, active cruise control

• Active Lane Keeping Assistant w/ Side Collision Avoidance,
As TurtleBoy said: at speeds of up to 130 mph/210 km/h, the system can intervene with a brief active steering intervention and help guide the vehicle back into the lane.

• Steering & Traffic Jam Assistant,
In stop-n-go traffic < 40mph: The system assists the driver in keeping the vehicle within the lane. For this purpose, the system executes supporting steering movements, for instance when driving in a curve. It works in coordination with ACC so you don't have to work much in heavy traffic with speed or steering.

• Automatic Lane Change,
With ACC, if you hold the turn indicator the vehicle will automatically change lanes for you

• Evasion Assistant & Cross-Traffic Alert Front
The system supports the driver in making evasive maneuvers in certain situations, such as when obstacles or persons suddenly appear. The system issues a warning and intervenes to support the driver if a lateral evasive maneuver is possible. Sensors monitor and detect the clearance around the vehicle. If the system identifies space alongside the vehicle, it supports an evasive maneuver begun by the driver by safely providing targeted steering support.

Standard Equipment:
✔︎ 5AL Active Protection
When a collision seems to be unavoidable, PreCrash functions are triggered

✔︎ 5AS Active Driving Assistant
My words, this is the catch-all for orchestration of those safety systems installed in the vehicle, aka "intelligent safety": Intelligent Safety enables central operation of the driver assistance systems

✔︎ ZN1 Active Blind Spot Detection
Blind spot collision warning detects vehicles in the blind spot or vehicles approaching from be‐ hind in the adjacent lane ... The light in the exterior mirror lights up

✔︎ ZN3 Frontal Collision Warning w/ City Collision Mitigation
FCW:The system may prevent some accidents. In the event of an accident, the system may reduce impact speed.
The system sounds a warning before an imminent collision and activates brakes independ‐ ently, if needed.

CCM:The system may prevent some accidents with cross traffic at intersections and junctions. In the event of an accident, the system may reduce impact speed. The system sounds a warning in the city speed range before an imminent collision and activates brakes independently, if needed.

✔︎ ZN4 Lane Departure Warning
The lane departure warning alerts when the vehicle is about to run off the road or exit the lane.

To your point, the marketing wording is a bit funny but the features are more/less differentiated as above around things that automatically move the steering wheel ...

I'd say the summary is this:
If you want all of the safety systems that are actually capable of moving the vehicle via the steering wheel (to avoid accidents) then you'd want DAPP, which also comes with the added ACC features required with moving the steering wheel like lane changing and traffic jam assist.

Last edited by GrussGott; 09-27-2020 at 01:52 AM..
Appreciate 2
      09-26-2020, 08:43 PM   #4
ketrab
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
I believe this package should be ordered by everyone. Not only will folks end up using the cruise control features but it also does add some safety features.
Thank you for your feedback. I appreciate it. Couple follow ups

Quote:
The emergency stop assistant isn't a standard feature. This is where the parking brake can be pulled and held by the driver or a passenger when there is a medical emergency. The vehicle will be stopped, pulled to the shoulder in some instances and an emergency call placed.
I think I've confused emergency stop assist with frontal collision (which is standard correct or its also pro feature?). Also is it required for the parking brake to be pulled in order to activate or there are other circumstances i.e like if we fall asleep?

Quote:

The first thing added is the side collision avoidance which will keep you from turning into a vehicle beside you as well as move you to the side/brake when a vehicle beside you starts turning into you.
Is this Side Collision Warning option in the settings? Is that mean it will take over the wheel, let say if someone fall asleep and start steering toward you on the highway, would the car take over at that time?

Quote:
The Evasion assistant also is not standard. It will help the driver when trying to make a maneuver to avoid an accident or obstacle. One of our members had an experience with that and it worked well in assisting with steering and avoiding the accident happening in front of him.
Would that be an example like when a deer is on the street at night and you didn't see it?

Quote:
Front cross traffic alert is also included in the package
What is that do?

Also where can I find more info on all of these features? I've checked manual but it doesn't really cover much. Website also is little or no info.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2020, 08:55 PM   #5
ketrab
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Is there a good kb which explains the difference between driving assist vs pro*?
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2020, 08:57 PM   #6
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

My comments are below in blue.

Quote:
I think I've confused emergency stop assist with frontal collision (which is standard correct or its also pro feature?). Also is it required for the parking brake to be pulled in order to activate or there are other circumstances i.e like if we fall asleep?

Frontal collision with possible braking is standard. The manual specifically states that it will not be automatically triggered although one would think that would be possible in the future given the driver awareness camera.

Is this Side Collision Warning option in the settings? Is that mean it will take over the wheel, let say if someone fall asleep and start steering toward you on the highway, would the car take over at that time?

I think it can be turned off in the safety settings but not sure why anyone would want to do that. No, it is designed to avoid side collisions.

Would that be an example like when a deer is on the street at night and you didn't see it?

The system aids the driver in making evasive maneuvers it does not initiate them.

What is that do?

It gives warning and possibly braking due to a possible collision with cross traffic in front of you just like the rear cross traffic alert system.

Also where can I find more info on all of these features? I've checked manual but it doesn't really cover much. Website also is little or no info.

No specific place that I know of. Besides asking questions here, you can search for YouTube videos and articles/blog entries.
Appreciate 1
MissVito205.50
      09-26-2020, 08:59 PM   #7
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
Is there a good kb which explains the difference between driving assist vs pro*?
Maybe this article will help you. https://www.jdpower.com/Cars/Shoppin...ving-assistant
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2020, 09:14 PM   #8
ketrab
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2020, 09:15 PM   #9
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

I've checked manual but it doesn't really cover much.
The manual goes into great detail on all of these features - at least 10 pages describing all of them, probably many more ... it's where I got all of the text explaining the features above and those were just the lead summary to pages of content. Are you sure you were looking in the manual downloaded via VIN here? Every feature you've asked about has pages of content ...

(if you don't know, to get a VIN just look at any new inventory listing from any dealership - it'll contain a vin)

there are also lots of youtubes from BMW like these which describe function and config options:

Last edited by GrussGott; 09-26-2020 at 09:51 PM..
Appreciate 3
      09-26-2020, 09:26 PM   #10
ketrab
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

yep i've managed to get the manual by grabbing random vin.

I've uploaded safety only pdf here in case someone wants to read it.
https://docdro.id/RoXTKgj

Thanks again for feedback.
Appreciate 1
sbc-yyc71.00
      09-26-2020, 09:44 PM   #11
ketrab
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

GrussGott thanks alot!
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2020, 01:33 AM   #12
Chrudosh
Private
Rep
Drives: X5 G05

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post

[SIZE="4"]Standard Equipment:[/SIZE]
✔︎ 5AL Active Protection
When a collision seems to be unavoidable, PreCrash functions are triggered
Active protection is a 510€ option in BE

Active guard plus is included in the base price
Appreciate 1
GrussGott18113.00
      09-27-2020, 01:53 AM   #13
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrudosh View Post
Active protection is a 510€ option in BE

Active guard plus is included in the base price
good point, updated the post to indicate the text is from the BMWNA ordering guide, i.e., USA spec.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2020, 07:37 AM   #14
moodyhank82
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G05 45e & G87 6MT

Quote:
Hi,

Ordering my e45 with priority for safety.

I don't really care about dynamic cruise control.
I am in the same boat, safety is my priority and I don't use adaptive cruise frequently and noticed a lot of professional reviewers complaining about the lane centering feature that comes with the professional package. So I have used IIHS ratings/evaluation as my guide for safety:

"System details
standard Active Driving Assistant
Overall evaluation
Applies to 2020 models
Superior
SUPERIOR
This system meets the requirements for forward collision warning.
In the 12 mph IIHS test, this vehicle avoided a collision.
In the 25 mph IIHS test, this vehicle avoided a collision.

System details
optional Active Driving Assistant Professional
Package name
optional Driving Assistance Professional Package
Overall evaluation
Applies to 2020 models
Superior
SUPERIOR
WITH OPTIONAL EQUIPMENT
In the 25 mph IIHS test, impact speed was reduced by 23 mph."

So not only the standard drive assist package gets a superior rating for crash prevention but it also scored slightly better on the 25 mph test than the professional package.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2020, 08:30 AM   #15
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by moodyhank82 View Post
I am in the same boat, safety is my priority and I don't use adaptive cruise frequently and noticed a lot of professional reviewers complaining about the lane centering feature that comes with the professional package. So I have used IIHS ratings/evaluation as my guide for safety:

"System details
Overall evaluation
Applies to 2020 models
Superior
SUPERIOR

System details
Package name
Overall evaluation
Applies to 2020 models
Superior
SUPERIOR
WITH OPTIONAL EQUIPMENT

So not only the standard drive assist package gets a superior rating for crash prevention but it also scored slightly better on the 25 mph test than the professional package.
True but the difference is negligible and only a small part of the safety systems available.

Edit: I should clarify that the "True" above is in regards to the IIHS crash ratings and not the what was mentioned about the lane centering. I think moodyhank82 is confusing what was written about the early version of the lane keeping system and not the cruise with steering/lane control that comes with the Driving Assistance Professional package.

Last edited by TurtleBoy; 09-27-2020 at 08:41 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2020, 04:03 PM   #16
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
and not the cruise with steering/lane control that comes with the Driving Assistance Professional package.
+1, Maybe I'm oversimplifying, but I'd say the difference between DAPP and no-DAPP comes down to whether you want the vehicle to control the steering wheel:
• If so, then DAPP gives you all of the safety and ACC features/functions that come with a vehicle controlled steering wheel.

• If not, then you miss safety features like side collision assistance and evasion assistance
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2020, 09:26 PM   #17
ketrab
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:

"System details
Overall evaluation
Applies to 2020 models
Superior
SUPERIOR

System details
Package name
Overall evaluation
Applies to 2020 models
Superior
SUPERIOR
WITH OPTIONAL EQUIPMENT

So are you getting the pro? I thought that adding pro will just add additional features and improve standard?!
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2020, 10:46 PM   #18
moodyhank82
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
So are you getting the pro? I thought that adding pro will just add additional features and improve standard?!
I am not getting the pro because to me it does not add any crucial safety features. It certainly adds convenience features like the traffic jam assist and adaptive cruise with lane centering/changing but I am not convinced that evasion assist is necessary when the car comes standard with forward collision warning. Similarly getting the 360 camera with the park assist package, which I am checking the box for in my build, gives you the tool to use front cross traffic alert function manually. Lastly the standard car has the blind spot warning so I am ok not having the additional side collision avoidance.

I think it comes down to personal preference. To me I like having the second set of eyes to warn me of a danger but I don't necessarily like the system taking over the braking and steering in various scenarios. Per IIHS evaluation the base system without adding the pro package is a superior front collision avoidance system and that is all I personally need.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2020, 08:05 AM   #19
ketrab
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I am not getting the pro because to me it does not add any crucial safety features. It certainly adds convenience features like the traffic jam assist and adaptive cruise with lane centering/changing but I am not convinced that evasion assist is necessary when the car comes standard with forward collision warning. Similarly getting the 360 camera with the park assist package, which I am checking the box for in my build, gives you the tool to use front cross traffic alert function manually. Lastly the standard car has the blind spot warning so I am ok not having the additional side collision avoidance.

I think it comes down to personal preference. To me I like having the second set of eyes to warn me of a danger but I don't necessarily like the system taking over the braking and steering in various scenarios. Per IIHS evaluation the base system without adding the pro package is a superior front collision avoidance system and that is all I personally need.
It's hard to put a price on safety. You may not use it ever or it might be one time that you wish you had it. It's crazy that companies ask to pay premium for something that should be standard.
Appreciate 1
volodp193.50
      09-28-2020, 08:13 AM   #20
ketrab
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'd say the summary is this:
If you want all of the safety systems that are actually capable of moving the vehicle via the steering wheel (to avoid accidents) then you'd want DAPP, which also comes with the added ACC features required with moving the steering wheel like lane changing and traffic jam assist.
In your opinion is that package worth the premium?
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2020, 08:20 AM   #21
ketrab
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

For cross traffic alert do you need to manually active it in order to work? That is for the front.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2020, 10:29 AM   #22
moodyhank82
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
It's hard to put a price on safety. You may not use it ever or it might be one time that you wish you had it. It's crazy that companies ask to pay premium for something that should be standard.
Agreed but BMW is already making all the essential crash prevention features, which will be federal mandate on all new cars in a couple of years, standard here in the US. The reason why I am hesitant about the added safety features in the plus package is because they take over the steering and acceleration, which in my experience can create dangerous/risky situations. My Tesla has an obstacle aware acceleration feature that prevents you from accelerating when it deems you moving forward puts the car in the path of an obstacle. While it sounds great, when making left turns a car coming from the other direction at a distance can trigger this feature and stops you from making a turn in the middle of the road. Thankfully one can turn off this feature just like the features in the plus package but why pay $1,700 extra for safety features that you might end up not using?

Again this is all personal opinion and mostly based on experiences with similar systems. While I find the forward collision warning and auto emergency breaking to be extremely important safety features that OEMs have refined for over a decade now, I believe some more complicated accident avoidance features are still in development phase.
Appreciate 0