06-21-2020, 10:36 AM   #1
Wrighterjw10
Private
Rep
Drives: F90 M5, G05 M50i

2 quick questions

Took delivery of my M50i Friday.

Two quick questions.

1 - my digital keycard works to start the car, but I can’t seem to unlock the doors with it. Is there an option I need to change?

2 - is there a way to control rear climate from the drivers seat?
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2020, 10:54 AM   #2
mrjoed2
Banned
Rep
Drives: '14 650 M Sport Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrighterjw10 View Post

Two quick questions.

1 - my digital keycard works to start the car, but I can’t seem to unlock the doors with it. Is there an option I need to change?

The keycard works on drivers door only, if it's starting vehicle, should work when put near driver's door handle to lock/unlock.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2020, 11:07 AM   #3
adamjs83
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5, 2020 X7

Garage List
2020 X7  [0.00]
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Yes- press the climate control menu button between the two front climate zone controls. I believe under Heating and ventilation you will see an option for rear controls. It's somewhere in those menus. Pretty self explanatory when you find it.
2019 BMW X5 xdrive40i Mineral White
Appreciate 1
X5 45e1090.50
      06-21-2020, 11:33 AM   #4
Wrighterjw10
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjoed2 View Post
The keycard works on drivers door only, if it's starting vehicle, should work when put near driver's door handle to lock/unlock.
I can’t get it, idk. I have held the card literally touching the door. Have to unlock through the app, but the car starts the car perfect.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2020, 11:49 AM   #5
Thewolfbmw
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 Competition (G80)

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
I can’t get it, idk. I have held the card literally touching the door. Have to unlock through the app, but the car starts the car perfect.
I was having the same issue when I had mine. A fellow member posted some pictures on the correct way. I remember you had to put the corner of the card next to the sensor in the handle. Once you know the spot, I will work every time.

See if you can search for it or even on youtube.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2020, 12:03 PM   #6
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thewolfbmw View Post
Quote:
Quote:
I can't get it, idk. I have held the card literally touching the door. Have to unlock through the app, but the car starts the car perfect.
I was having the same issue when I had mine. A fellow member posted some pictures on the correct way. I remember you had to put the corner of the card next to the sensor in the handle. Once you know the spot, I will work every time.

See if you can search for it or even on youtube.
It works like that indeed. It's quite difficult to find the sweet spot. It's on top the door handle. A bit in front of the spot you have to touch for comfort opening. You have to put the card flat on that spot. If you are able to start the engine the card is working (unless you had the key fob in your pocket &#128540

I have the card in my wallet as back up when I lose my key. I have never traveled with the cars only. And don't leave it in your car! If somebody finds it they can drive away.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-21-2020, 12:06 PM   #7
thereef510
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 X5 35i, '20 X5 40i

Quote:

You can push the "SYNC" button to turn on the rear climate system. It used to be a physical button on the F15 but now its buried in the climate control menu. What I did was assign the sync button to one of the 10 hot press buttons and if someone is in the back seat I push that to turn on the system. You can only turn the system back off again via the A/C menu.

This would have been a particularly good use case for BMW to let you use the voice command to turn on the rear A/C. It would have been a cool party trick and useful since rear passengers, especially guests are wary of playing with your a/c controls and usually don't say anything.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2020, 12:12 PM   #8
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thereef510 View Post
Quote:

You can push the "SYNC" button to turn on the rear climate system. It used to be a physical button on the F15 but now its buried in the climate control menu. What I did was assign the sync button to one of the 10 hot press buttons and if someone is in the back seat I push that to turn on the system. You can only turn the system back off again via the A/C menu.

This would have been a particularly good use case for BMW to let you use the voice command to turn on the rear A/C. It would have been a cool party trick and useful since rear passengers, especially guests are wary of playing with your a/c controls and usually don't say anything.
Yes I am really missing the sync button. It would have been nice to have a physical button for that. I use it quite a lot after the weekend. Good tip, I am going to use one of my 8 for that. Ps you have 10 preference buttons?
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2020, 12:39 PM   #9
thereef510
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5 45e View Post
Yes I am really missing the sync button. It would have been nice to have a physical button for that. I use it quite a lot after the weekend. Good tip, I am going to use one of my 8 for that. Ps you have 10 preference buttons?
lol i guess not, maybe its just 9 or 8, whatever the number is. between the F15 and the g05, I cant remember what each preference button does anymore, and i just glide my fingers along till I find the setting I need.

For having one of the most complicated A/C systems on the planet, BMW really could have made a dedicated button to turn on and off the rear seat climate controls. Very rarely will a friend or a guest come into my car, already overwhelmed by how nice and clean I keep it and reach the center control stack to mess with the climate settings, but I want them to be comfortable since I paid for those options. It would be so simple to be able to control the rear settings from the front, like how you can now adjust the passenger seat position from the driver's seat controls...
Appreciate 1
X5 45e1090.50
      06-21-2020, 12:46 PM   #10
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
lol i guess not, maybe its just 9 or 8, whatever the number is. between the F15 and the g05, I cant remember what each preference button does anymore, and i just glide my fingers along till I find the setting I need.

For having one of the most complicated A/C systems on the planet, BMW really could have made a dedicated button to turn on and off the rear seat climate controls. Very rarely will a friend or a guest come into my car, already overwhelmed by how nice and clean I keep it and reach the center control stack to mess with the climate settings, but I want them to be comfortable since I paid for those options. It would be so simple to be able to control the rear settings from the front, like how you can now adjust the passenger seat position from the driver's seat controls...
I didn't try it but isn't it possible to change the back temperature with voice controle? I tried the rear seat heating with voice controle but I think it didn't work (and my kids were sitting in the back at that time).

I am also really missing the red-blue wheel to directly change temperature. Such a hassle now.
Appreciate 1
thereef5101164.00
      06-21-2020, 01:43 PM   #11
thereef510
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

you can turn on the A/C for the front driver/passenger by saying something dumb like 'hey bmw i'm hot/cold' and you can change the temperature via voice command, but you can't turn on the rear a/c with it.

Although I haven't tried the voice command "hey bmw synchronize the A/C". Maybe that would work? I'll try it

I wish they had a published list of voice commands and senarios we could refer to
Appreciate 1
X5 45e1090.50
      06-21-2020, 01:58 PM   #12
BMW_Cyprus
Private
Cyprus
Rep
Drives: Looking forward to G05 X5

Rear temp cannot be controlled from the front climate controls except by using "sync" option from the A/C menu or by saying "hey bmw sync A/C" or "hey bmw sync climate (control)"

I think (not sure) the help menu in idrive has list of commands (or at least a majority of the commonly used ones) for BMW voice assistant. Maybe (hope) as part of MY2021 they also give us option for rear AC control by voice along with the other new voice commands which will be available in MY2021.
Appreciate 1
thereef5101164.00
      06-21-2020, 03:34 PM   #13
Wrighterjw10
Private
Rep

Sync button aside, really stinks that there’s not just a simple, 1 button solution to turn off rear climate.

Thanks for the help! It seems one corner of the card works rather than the flat, middle part. Working though!
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2020, 04:02 PM   #14
thereef510
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Sync button aside, really stinks that there’s not just a simple, 1 button solution to turn off rear climate.

Thanks for the help! It seems one corner of the card works rather than the flat, middle part. Working though!
Yeah I was just going to say that I went out for a bit and "hey bmw synchronize the a/c" worked like a charm, the rear seat a/c turned on. I tried various other commands to get it to turn off but I couldn't. Now I can free up a hot key button for something else.

Anyone know if you can turn on the second row seat heaters with a voice command?
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2020, 05:35 AM   #15
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_Cyprus View Post
Rear temp cannot be controlled from the front climate controls except by using "sync" option from the A/C menu or by saying "hey bmw sync A/C" or "hey bmw sync climate (control)"

I think (not sure) the help menu in idrive has list of commands (or at least a majority of the commonly used ones) for BMW voice assistant. Maybe (hope) as part of MY2021 they also give us option for rear AC control by voice along with the other new voice commands which will be available in MY2021.
I was just browsing through my climate controle menu and I am actually able to controle all the functions of the rear seat CC with Idrive. Edit: Like mentioned by Adamjs83 earlier in this post. Just saw it now.

See pictures attached.

Verwarming / ventilatie = heating ventilation menu

Tweede rij stoelen = second row seats

Activateren = first check box activates the system. You can probably assign this to a preset button to turn on and off the rear seat CC

The others below sets the temperature left (links) en right (rechts) sync, ...

I don't know if this came available with 03/2020 or was already there in 07/2019.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-23-2020, 08:03 AM   #16
thereef510
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Right so we know you can turn on and off the rear climate stuff and control the temps through idrive. What we were saying was having a simple on off physical button would have been way less cumbersome than having to use the either idrive or voice command to turn it on for passengers too inept or meek to fiddle with the controls themselves.

Also there's no way that I have discovered for you to be able to turn on the rear seat heaters from the front.
Appreciate 1
X5 45e1090.50
      06-23-2020, 08:43 AM   #17
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Sorry I misunderstood your last sentence. I thought you were looking for a way to control the rear seat CC from the front. But now while a read it again you were suggesting a physical button to switch functionality of the ac buttons in front to the rear.

I didn't manage to save on off or sync as a preference
Appreciate 0