BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-09-2020, 07:51 PM   #1
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

07/2020.25

Just got my X5 back from an oil change and also was able to talk them into updating iDrive to the latest version, I was on 11/2019.70 from the OTA update. I used the excuse of CarPlay dropping connections (which is a problem that recently started) but the tech said there were no updates available and the one connection fault they say was from the device.

Obviously I know there were updates available so I sent the version info to my SA as well as emailing the shop foreman. He responded back that they are only able to update iDrive when it is a warranty issue that will be solved and nothing is showing that is the case with my CarPlay problem. He then said he will do some more research as well as contact the TSE, which I gathered was a regional engineer, and if all else fails will update it as a good will gesture.

He got back to me in a little bit and said the TSE signed off on the upgrade being done as a warranty item which sort of surprised me.

So far I noticed a few things which I think are new but could have missed them before:

1. The Climate Rules now have an option for the heated steering wheel to be activated by temperature.

2. There is a new App called Automatic Window which allows you to set activation points and when you get to one of them the driver's window will open. I did set one for getting my mail from the mailbox but have not tested it yet. It will be interesting to see how accurate the activation point can get. When I'm on the right side of the road I don't want it to activate but when I cross to the left side I do as that is where the mailbox is. I will update once testing is complete.

3. This is probably expected but most ECUs are not available in BimmerCode. I would imagine it will take an update for them to be used.

4. The Settings under Mobile Devices no longer has the checkbox for CarPlay. It is now just Bluetooth, WiFi and Internet.

As far as my CarPlay issue goes, it did disconnect once on the way home from the dealer but when I got home I got a message on the Control Display that the connection for my iPhone needed to be redone. I deleted the device from iDrive and delete the X5 from the phone and reconnected it. Hopefully that actually did something and it works.

I will update if I find anything else as I use it.
Appreciate 5
LexxM31697.50
eagle_bmw182.50
Cooltones241.00
Paladin15528.50
      07-09-2020, 09:17 PM   #2
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7 xDrive40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
Just got my X5 back from an oil change and also was able to talk them into updating iDrive to the latest version, I was on 11/2019.70 from the OTA update. I used the excuse of CarPlay dropping connections (which is a problem that recently started) but the tech said there were no updates available and the one connection fault they say was from the device.

Obviously I know there were updates available so I sent the version info to my SA as well as emailing the shop foreman. He responded back that they are only able to update iDrive when it is a warranty issue that will be solved and nothing is showing that is the case with my CarPlay problem. He then said he will do some more research as well as contact the TSE, which I gathered was a regional engineer, and if all else fails will update it as a good will gesture.

He got back to me in a little bit and said the TSE signed off on the upgrade being done as a warranty item which sort of surprised me.

So far I noticed a few things which I think are new but could have missed them before:

1. The Climate Rules now have an option for the heated steering wheel to be activated by temperature.

2. There is a new App called Automatic Window which allows you to set activation points and when you get to one of them the driver's window will open. I did set one for getting my mail from the mailbox but have not tested it yet. It will be interesting to see how accurate the activation point can get. When I'm on the right side of the road I don't want it to activate but when I cross to the left side I do as that is where the mailbox is. I will update once testing is complete.

3. This is probably expected but most ECUs are not available in BimmerCode. I would imagine it will take an update for them to be used.

4. The Settings under Mobile Devices no longer has the checkbox for CarPlay. It is now just Bluetooth, WiFi and Internet.

As far as my CarPlay issue goes, it did disconnect once on the way home from the dealer but when I got home I got a message on the Control Display that the connection for my iPhone needed to be redone. I deleted the device from iDrive and delete the X5 from the phone and reconnected it. Hopefully that actually did something and it works.

So what version did they update you to?
Appreciate 1
      07-09-2020, 09:21 PM   #3
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch57 View Post
So what version did they update you to?
The title of the thread - 07/2020.25 which was released Tuesday from what he told me. He didn't have it on his update devices yet so loaded one and had mine done by a tech.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 09:47 PM   #4
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7 xDrive40i

Quote:
The title of the thread - 07/2020.25 which was released Tuesday from what he told me. He didn't have it on his update devices yet so loaded one and had mine done by a tech.
Duhh! Sorry, I got lost in all the different threads and only read your comments.

I wonder if they had any problems while updating? I like the option to roll down the window when the car reaches a specific set point.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 09:50 PM   #5
smovva
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 2019 X5

Quote:

Confused re: #4: are you saying no more Apple CarPlay? Any hints in the UI re: Android Auto?
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 09:55 PM   #6
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by smovva View Post
Confused re: #4: are you saying no more Apple CarPlay? Any hints in the UI re: Android Auto?
No, CarPlay still works but there is no longer a checkbox for it (used to say something like CarPlay and Bluetooh, don't remember exactly) on the settings screen. When you pair the phone it still asks whether you want to connect through iDrive or use CarPlay.

I didn't see anything about Android Auto but that could be because I have an iPhone. Perhaps when connecting an android phone it would ask iDrive or Android Auto.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 10:34 PM   #7
adamjs83
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5, 2020 X7

Garage List
2020 X7  [0.00]
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:

No news maps?
2019 BMW X5 xdrive40i Mineral White
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 11:36 PM   #8
themnmd
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23 X5MC

Garage List
Quote:

Kinda BS they give a hard time to give you new software that is available for your car,especially when under warranty. It no money out of their pocket
Appreciate 1
volodp196.50
      07-09-2020, 11:43 PM   #9
eagle_bmw
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 40i

@TurtleBoy, any chance of the software release notes being available in iDrive to share?
      07-10-2020, 04:21 AM   #10
babyghost
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Please if you can find out if you got android auto? Maybe borrow someone's phone? It will be great news for android users if it's already supported.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2020, 05:29 AM   #11
Heavyd
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e

Why don't they just always update to the latest version? So they will normally only perform an update if you have problems?
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2020, 06:41 AM   #12
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by themnmd View Post
Kinda BS they give a hard time to give you new software that is available for your car,especially when under warranty. It no money out of their pocket
Actually it is money out of their pocket if it is not covered by warranty since the can only charge BMWNA if it is warranty/authorized work.
Appreciate 1
      07-10-2020, 06:43 AM   #13
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamjs83 View Post
No news maps?
I don't use CarPlay Maps so wouldn't know if anything changed, sorry about that.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2020, 06:45 AM   #14
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle_bmw View Post
@TurtleBoy, any chance of the software release notes being available in iDrive to share?
I will check and report back if I find any.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2020, 06:46 AM   #15
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by babyghost View Post
Please if you can find out if you got android auto? Maybe borrow someone's phone? It will be great news for android users if it's already supported.
I will see what I can do to find an Android.
Appreciate 1
      07-10-2020, 07:34 AM   #16
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Tesla MY LR AWD

I like the sound of this. Hopefully offers the same in the HUD with CP:

"The highlights of the Android AutoTM at BMW are the seamless and wireless integration and the intelligent adoption of turn-by-turn guidance from Google MapsTM in the instrument cluster and in the Head-Up Display."
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2020, 08:09 AM   #17
adamjs83
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5, 2020 X7

Garage List
2020 X7  [0.00]
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:

I don't use CarPlay Maps so wouldn't know if anything changed, sorry about that.
I was referring to this.
Attached Images

2019 BMW X5 xdrive40i Mineral White
Appreciate 1
Cooltones241.00
      07-10-2020, 08:12 AM   #18
James_G0540i
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 G05 40i M Sport

Quote:
Actually it is money out of their pocket if it is not covered by warranty since the can only charge BMWNA if it is warranty/authorized work.
The G05 model was only released in 2018, so all our cars should still be under warranty.

Imagine if Microsoft charged for every software patch they released for Windows 10?

If BMW want to treat their cars as "Platforms", then the cost of support for their car is surely covered under the "free" servicing agreements?

I have 4-years/80,000km "free servicing" on my car - so I expect the latest software releases after each service, especially considering how the car's features and safety systems are linked to software.
Appreciate 2
thereef5101164.00
      07-10-2020, 08:39 AM   #19
Bigtime78
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

I wonder if this update has the fix for the false A/C condenser freeze up issue on the N63 models?

Also. If BMW just did the frigging updates quickly OTA then the whole “tricking the dealer” thing we all have to do, would be moot.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2020, 08:54 AM   #20
themnmd
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23 X5MC

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
If your car is within the 3 year free service period, shouldn't a software upgrade be part of the deal?
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2020, 09:11 AM   #21
edofloat
Captain
Rep
Drives: Outback or 992

Quote:
If your car is within the 3 year free service period, shouldn't a software upgrade be part of the deal?
The items that require service are listed in your manuals that show intervals for oil changes etc. Don't think there is any mention of regular servicing of software in my manuals here in the USA.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2020, 09:38 AM   #22
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Tesla MY LR AWD

Quote:
Remote Software Upgrade (RSU) is part of a ConnectedDrive subscription.

Ad-hoc dealer upgrades that tie up engineers are not, hence it needs a warrantable reason to perform an out-of-band software upgrade at the dealer.

There is an argument that BMW are not delivering with the RSU as often as they originally stated, but this doesn't automatically imply a right to a dealer software upgrade. I'd say you are more likely entitled to compensation/refund for the lack of RSU.
Appreciate 0