BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-28-2020, 10:53 AM   #45
Raikkonen
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 M60i

This is a great thread….

I’ve had my M50i for a week, and although I’m satisfied with the car for what it is, there’s no getting around the fact it still feels like I’m driving around in my living room.

Power is fine, the ride is fantastic (I have DHP w/ 21” Pirelli rft.), and the level of perceived luxury is excellent, but it is definitely not rewarding to drive aggressively.

My 3-yr. Audi SQ5 lease ended, and I admittedly feel a tinge of regret having gone w/ the X5. I now feel, for me at least, the X3, Q5, GLC, etc., is probably the perfect sized SUV daily driver.

I have a 45 mile/day RT commute, in a drastically changing 4 season environment, and sometimes have to shuttle my two young kids, so I love having an SUV, but having some decent power and handling are a requirement. I think the X5 was overkill…lesson learned ☹

Perfect solution? LCI X3 M40i (hopefully w/ a tad more power – X3M I drove felt too harsh), RSQ5 (if Audi ever makes it), Macan GTS.

I know you give up some luxury amenities (and perhaps some power) going “down” a size, but I feel like you definitely add a bit more driving involvement and connectedness in doing so…

(It also helps to have an old Boxster in the garage to get you out of your SUV trance! )
Appreciate 2
      07-28-2020, 07:12 PM   #46
rebekahb
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Interesting thread. We went with the M50i because of styling and engine size. The Audi's look like shortened mini vans to me. Ugly. I was open to the MB but my husband hated the back end design.

I never liked BMW's interiors. They always looked like they were stuck in time. I lease so every 3 years I'm checking just about every make and model out. I had been in an Explorer Sport for the past 2 leases because they did a decent job on technology & with the twin turbo engine for the price point. The first one we really enjoyed. The 2nd one lost its oomph as far as engine performance. They changed the appearance inside & out so we opted out as it's ugly.

I've had the M50i since Dec and I'm happy with it. I have carbon black with black shadow line & tinted the windows so it has the sporty look I like. The engine performance is very smooth and doesn't have the torque steer the Explorer did. Obviously, I don't have experience with BMW's as it's my first. For me, if I'm not attracted to how a vehicle looks I don't care how well it performs I don't want to drive it. Do I think it's worth the money? No. My works pays 90% so we figured why not enjoy a nice SUV.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2020, 10:57 AM   #47
DiamondLights
Private
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK - 421 View Post
The X5 is a totally different animal to the X3, there’s a lot more to it than 100l extra boot space and 2 optional seats. Fit, finish, comfort, spec, tech all above the X3 level, this is where the cost is. X3 is still a great machine, I’ve had a few loaners, but getting back into the X5 I always exhale a sigh of relief, such a beautiful place to be. (I’ve had the X3 30d M Sport in the past) X3 40i is blast
oh totally agree, there's things in the X3 that are definitely not as plush as X5 (cargo nets on the back of front passenger seats... i mean COME ON).

Ultimately for me though, i just couldn't see the additional £9,000 in cost on those differences. If it was £3-4K i would have easily done it, but a £9k differential to me was getting a brand new bathroom refit too, so far easier pill to swallow.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2020, 11:54 AM   #48
TK - 421
There's a storm coming
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW Vader

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondLights View Post
oh totally agree, there's things in the X3 that are definitely not as plush as X5 (cargo nets on the back of front passenger seats... i mean COME ON).

Ultimately for me though, i just couldn't see the additional £9,000 in cost on those differences. If it was £3-4K i would have easily done it, but a £9k differential to me was getting a brand new bathroom refit too, so far easier pill to swallow.
Understood, but I’d say the price differential between the X5 and X7 Would be more relevant. I personally see the difference between X3 and X5 and the cost difference (air suspension is just one standard feature that would cost a few grand) , but X5 to X7 is harder to grasp for me. All great SUVs in their own right
Appreciate 1
      07-30-2020, 03:12 AM   #49
buckybadger
BMW forever!
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

I can never have fun driving a SUV after owning a M2C.

An X5M is no where close to a small M2 agile coupe that loves to dance (cha cha cha cha!!!).
2009 BMW 328i
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2020, 10:17 AM   #50
tellch00
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: TDI Touareg, 997 Turbo

^^ I agree. Having owned many sports cars as well as a 911 race car, there is no SUV that will ever make me think it has some magical sporting prowess. It's a lux SUV. I've had my 40i since end of Feb. and enjoying it, have lots of options, great fit and finish, but damn, i can't get comfortable in this seat. I know there's another thread on that but that's my only real issue.

For the OP, life is short and if it doesn't cause a financial hardship do what makes you happy and bail.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2020, 10:32 AM   #51
Chapel Hill
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tellch00 View Post
^^ I agree. Having owned many sports cars as well as a 911 race car, there is no SUV that will ever make me think it has some magical sporting prowess. It's a lux SUV. I've had my 40i since end of Feb. and enjoying it, have lots of options, great fit and finish, but damn, i can't get comfortable in this seat. I know there's another thread on that but that's my only real issue.

For the OP, life is short and if it doesn't cause a financial hardship do what makes you happy and bail.
What do people think about the AMG GLC 63 coupe as an alternative?
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2020, 10:39 AM   #52
rmorin1249
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 MSport 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapel Hill View Post
Quote:

It's a real screamer. Very high performance but quite a bit smaller.

COL(Ret), US Army Hagerstown MD
2019 X5 40i MSport Alpine White/Coffee (my 13th BMW)
2015 Mercedes SL400; 2009 Lexus RX350
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2020, 11:46 AM   #53
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapel Hill View Post
Quote:

Awesome car, wife has the 300, but I've driven the 63, but not really a competitor as its a compact SUV with a smaller cargo space and overall dimensions, although rear seat legroom is pretty generous for its class, same size as the X5's. A GLE63 would be more of a direct competitor.
      07-30-2020, 04:10 PM   #54
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport, 2019 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckybadger View Post

An X5M is no where close to a small M2 agile coupe that loves to dance (cha cha cha cha!!!).
For me its all about expectations. I love my wife's G05 40i. To me, it was designed for a purpose and it does that job really well. Never did I expect it to be as fun to drive as my 3er m-sport with DHP, much less an M2 or any other performance coupe or sedan. I love getting into the G05 after my car and feeling the difference. Also, I love getting out of the G05 and back into a low-to-the-ground, much lighter nimble car.

I suppose car companies are coming closer to having an SUV that really feels like a sports car, but no matter what they do, they have a weight and center of gravity problem that will never be overcome.

I get why the OP feels a need to move on, even if means spending a bundle to do so. Its great that he can afford to make a switch. I am too much of a tight wad for that so I research the hell our of cars before I buy them and so far mine have met my expectations to a tee. However, if I did make a mistake I would probably spend whatever it took to be happy again. Spending years with a car you don't like sounds painful.
Appreciate 1
      07-31-2020, 07:00 PM   #55
buckybadger
BMW forever!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sygazelle View Post
Quote:

For me its all about expectations. I love my wife's G05 40i. To me, it was designed for a purpose and it does that job really well. Never did I expect it to be as fun to drive as my 3er m-sport with DHP, much less an M2 or any other performance coupe or sedan. I love getting into the G05 after my car and feeling the difference. Also, I love getting out of the G05 and back into a low-to-the-ground, much lighter nimble car.

I suppose car companies are coming closer to having an SUV that really feels like a sports car, but no matter what they do, they have a weight and center of gravity problem that will never be overcome.

I get why the OP feels a need to move on, even if means spending a bundle to do so. Its great that he can afford to make a switch. I am too much of a tight wad for that so I research the hell our of cars before I buy them and so far mine have met my expectations to a tee. However, if I did make a mistake I would probably spend whatever it took to be happy again. Spending years with a car you don't like sounds painful.
Yeah, same here, I got the X5 air suspension version for a completely different purpose. It's a great family car. Even when lowered in sport mode, car is more firmer but still extremely comfy.

The M2 is a different beast. Best Bmw I have ever owned so far.
2009 BMW 328i
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2020, 02:53 AM   #56
TK - 421
There's a storm coming
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

The M2 is a different beast. Best Bmw I have ever owned so far.
by the look of your signature you've had a few beasts as well
The New M3 looks very interesting by the way
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2020, 05:45 AM   #57
Unit
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK - 421 View Post
by the look of your signature you've had a few beasts as well
The New M3 looks very interesting by the way
This will be the first generation of M3 I won't buy inside 12 months of launch since the E46 I think. The looks just don't do it for me although I know it will be one hell of a weapon. The new M4 looks far more purposeful and pulls of the big grills much better.

I'll wait for the M4 LCI in a few years think.
Appreciate 1
TK - 421251.50
      08-01-2020, 05:50 AM   #58
TK - 421
There's a storm coming
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unit View Post
This will be the first generation of M3 I won't buy inside 12 months of launch since the E46 I think. The looks just don't do it for me although I know it will be one hell of a weapon. The new M4 looks far more purposeful and pulls of the big grills much better.

I'll wait for the M4 LCI in a few years think.
You're spot on there, the M4 LCI will be the one i reckon also!
Ive always found the later BM's look better in the flesh, the G05, to me doesn't photograph well at all, but in the flesh looks so much better
Appreciate 1
Unit218.50
      08-02-2020, 01:53 PM   #59
Ftpohyeah
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 X3 M Competition  [0.00]
2024 BMW  [10.00]
Quote:

I definitely miss driving my m2c!!!!

Hopefully the stelvio quadrifoglio will bring back some of the joy of driving a car. Cause at this point the x5 40i is like taking the cab except i have to do the driving. A very comfortable cab tho.
Appreciate 1
      08-02-2020, 03:08 PM   #60
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

Quote:

Yea, the M2C is in a different zip code of performance and handling from any high performance SUV like a X5M. Muscle/luxury SUV’s are about luxury and power. A good handling SUV might be great handling as long as you keep it in the context of a “SUV”. I love powerful SUV’s but they will never replace my M2C. You simply need both.

Appreciate 2
stein_325i25081.00
      08-02-2020, 03:46 PM   #61
BMWBear
Ultimate Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: N/A

First world problems in this thread. You must all cry yourselves to sleep at night.
Appreciate 7
Ftpohyeah285.00
sygazelle11334.00
parkstr8562.00
Chloros46.50
KRS_SN13443.00
      08-02-2020, 06:52 PM   #62
Ftpohyeah
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 X3 M Competition  [0.00]
2024 BMW  [10.00]
not into my x5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYEIL View Post
First world problems in this thread. You must all cry yourselves to sleep at night.
You are absolutely correct that these are first world problems. It sounds very weird and probably amusing to some but our perspectives are all different.

The x5 is not an suv for me. The 3rd row never gets used. The rear screens arent iphone compatible - to the guy few posts above, i thought i did but i absolutely didnt research enough for this fact alone. The lack of feeling in the driving sense is so strong that its overshadowing the plethora of positives about the car. And i need to have a sense of fun when i drive because for me it is always more than just from point A to B.

I am spending a lot of unnecessary money but thankful my wife is supportive and knows how much these things mean to me. It was also very surprising to me that a lot of people here would do the same if they had the same feelings.

I absolutely was in love with the x5 at first. I guess the plush leather seats arent enough to outweigh the chassis of this particular x5.
Appreciate 1
      10-25-2020, 12:58 AM   #63
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3m40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
However the driving experience is basically crap, and anybody claiming otherwise has never owned an E53 or E70 generation X5. Yes the powertrain and chassis are good, but the car is so damn floaty it feels like an old Cadillac DTS and literally makes you nauseous. The steering feels completely removed from the road to the point its disconcerting. Even small steering inputs cause body roll throughout the cabin.

This will be their last X5. If one is content with a boring driving SUV then may as well get a Range Rover Sport, at least it looks trendy AF and isn't as common.
I had E70, steering wheel was basically daily workout, yet, I loved that SUV. Perfect balance of sportiness and practicality. I didn't care of lack of fancy features, It was an amazing vehicle. Help me decide to make my next car F15 because I wanted to keep my fillings intact and not having to wonder if I lost a tire with each bump. F15 fixed that very well, while performance was more on comfort side, require constantly switching to Sport mode, but they definitely improved turbo lag that E70 suffered from. I gave '18 Q7 a try, and it's basically E70 acceleration with F15 comfort, but with great visibility. No-effort long distance driving, perfect German family SUV. I'd be in '20 or '21 right now if Covid didn't screw up the inventory and dealers ordered stripped down hoping they can sell cheaper ones quickly, which they did. So they kept ordering mediocre builds. Fast forward to G05, I should have test drove it before getting, where did my visibility go? Did they actually make mirrors smaller on G05? What's with the hood contour, I can't tell where it ends on sides, I didn't have this much trouble with Q7 getting it through tight spaces, visibility was amazing.

Steering feel is almost non existent, first thing I felt when I began driving is was how quiet and comfortable it was, air suspension basically dulls down all small bumps, very quiet and comfortable, but when I began going through curves, I felt like sitting on passenger seat of my friend's Range Rover. It was $115k vehicle that somehow felt like on rubber stilts. X5 at normal driving position reminds me of that, but with much better acceleration. It's near instant. Cannot even compare to F15 or Q7, remotely, but pedals are feel disconnected from road, I don't feel the engine or wheels on either pedal. I don't have any buyers remorse because Audi helped me become a less aggressive driver and more enjoy the road type of person. However, some of these negatives also remind me of the test drive videos of the new 5 series. It seems like if you want true sportiness, you need M6 on SUV or M3 or 4 series. Even 5 is going in direction of 7 series, comfort oriented.

Last edited by hyde; 10-25-2020 at 01:07 AM..
Appreciate 1
Germanauto9698.00
      10-25-2020, 02:27 AM   #64
atlas
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: F10 535i, M2 LCI, G05 X5 40i

I have the 40i with m sport suspension and exhaust, and an M2. Perfect complimentary garage imo. The X5 is everything I expected it to be, and I love it for what it can do. Sameer goes for the M2.
Appreciate 1
MystroX56283.50
      10-25-2020, 02:57 AM   #65
TK - 421
There's a storm coming
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyde View Post
I had E70, steering wheel was basically daily workout, yet, I loved that SUV. Perfect balance of sportiness and practicality. I didn't care of lack of fancy features, It was an amazing vehicle. Help me decide to make my next car F15 because I wanted to keep my fillings intact and not having to wonder if I lost a tire with each bump. F15 fixed that very well, while performance was more on comfort side, require constantly switching to Sport mode, but they definitely improved turbo lag that E70 suffered from. I gave '18 Q7 a try, and it's basically E70 acceleration with F15 comfort, but with great visibility. No-effort long distance driving, perfect German family SUV. I'd be in '20 or '21 right now if Covid didn't screw up the inventory and dealers ordered stripped down hoping they can sell cheaper ones quickly, which they did. So they kept ordering mediocre builds. Fast forward to G05, I should have test drove it before getting, where did my visibility go? Did they actually make mirrors smaller on G05? What's with the hood contour, I can't tell where it ends on sides, I didn't have this much trouble with Q7 getting it through tight spaces, visibility was amazing.

Steering feel is almost non existent, first thing I felt when I began driving is was how quiet and comfortable it was, air suspension basically dulls down all small bumps, very quiet and comfortable, but when I began going through curves, I felt like sitting on passenger seat of my friend's Range Rover. It was $115k vehicle that somehow felt like on rubber stilts. X5 at normal driving position reminds me of that, but with much better acceleration. It's near instant. Cannot even compare to F15 or Q7, remotely, but pedals are feel disconnected from road, I don't feel the engine or wheels on either pedal. I don't have any buyers remorse because Audi helped me become a less aggressive driver and more enjoy the road type of person. However, some of these negatives also remind me of the test drive videos of the new 5 series. It seems like if you want true sportiness, you need M6 on SUV or M3 or 4 series. Even 5 is going in direction of 7 series, comfort oriented.
Id always recommend test driving any new car for many reasons as you've mentioned above, especially one at this price point.
I come from a long line of BMW's (plus other german marques), from the G30 540i Sport Drive to the G05 was the last change, and the first thing i noticed was as you said the floatiness in the air suspension, and it did make me think wtf. Then i learnt how to drive the car differently, as its a different vehicle, try driving a bus like you're driving an M2. you have to load up the steering more. Try driving a G05 in sport then jump into any range rover and drive it the same and ill see you in A&E or through a hedge, that's if it doesn't break down first.

These are heavy cars for sure and the driving style must change to suit. once accounted for the size and turn in feel it now drives normal to me, i dare say when i change to my next vehicle there will be another learning curve.
its a bloody big heavy car, but i think its marvellous what they've done with the suspension setup, which most motoring journalists agree with is really remarkable what BMW have done, many other manufacturers have tried and failed. Mine is on 22"s so this may make a small difference, but i accept that it won't handle like a sports car, more like a big SUV, and a comfy one at that.

There's a reason why the G05 wins pretty much every review going, why they are near impossible to buy used/new with any decent spec, not without fault for sure but still a great vehicle that will only improve over the production years with updates etc.

How were the gear shifts in the Q7?

Last edited by TK - 421; 06-27-2021 at 02:24 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2020, 09:05 AM   #66
DPHTOY
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 Vert. 2019 X5 40i M-Sp

Good luck with the Alfa. I had a Guila for about 18 months before I had enough. When it worked it was amazing to drive. I say when it worked because it literally spent more time at the dealership then it did in my garage. After its 11th stay at the dealership I drove it straight to my BMW dealership and traded it for a M4.
Appreciate 1
Ftpohyeah285.00