BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-25-2020, 10:09 AM   #67
Penguino
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: A car.

Not all cars are for everyone. It's OK not to like the X5 driving dynamics. That's why the X3/X4/X3M/X4M/M50i/X5M etc exists. And that's only from BMW.

If size is not an issue, I'd strongly suggest test driving a Macan GTS/Turbo. It's a 911-SUV in all aspects and might be a fair compromise for you based on practicality and performance.

Good luck with your new purchase.
      10-25-2020, 12:41 PM   #68
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3m40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK - 421 View Post
How were the gear shifts in the Q7?

Very smooth under normal driving conditions, it never hesitated or made you feel like you had to adjust your foot on gas pedal, it almost always found the right gear. Shifts were unnoticeable. My only complaint was that in Comfort or Auto mode how long it took to downshift. I really had to floor it to click and leave some time not to anger the guy who was coming down on left lane, I generally avoided merging too quickly, or learned to downshift with pedals if I anticipated a quick lane change or short on-ramp merge.

This is only for major downshifts, but when you are going 50-60 and road opens up, and you want to get going, it gained speed very quickly, however going back to my new G05 with Air suspension, I really have to watch my speed. Going from 60 to 80 you can't tell you are going 80. Road noise does not increase, it doesn't get bumpy so I am not sure if it's the air suspension or the super smooth engine or the "floaty/disconnected" feel, but It's amazing how quickly it picks up and how you can't tell you are doing 80+ until you go "why is everyone else so slow". I don't really complain too much about the disconnected feel on G05, my biggest complain is how big it feels. I feel like people on left lane are driving way too close to me, or maybe I am too close to the left. Mirrors add to this problem.
      06-13-2021, 07:19 PM   #69
Ftpohyeah
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2022 X3 M Competition  [0.00]
2024 BMW  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ftpohyeah View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenetic View Post
I would rather have this over the Alfa, although you can only get the coupe in the 63s here.

They really make great looking cars but not a benz guy.
It has been almost a year since this post, and im here to update a little on my situation. I really wanted the stelvio quad but long story short. It was a bunch of shenanigans with the AR dealer. Mind you, they ask for a $3k deposit, thats from both alfa dealers. If someone is willing to drop 3k with no hesitation on a car, why play games? Just be transparent. Perhaps i misunderstood or perhaps alfa romeo has crap communication with their dealers here. All that dont matter now because i havent been this excited to be in and to drive a car since my m2. My wife and kids all love it. I didnt pick the macan gts because equally specced to what i want, was almost 6k more and its just hard to get over that 375 hp/torque in an suv. This is my first mercedes and i love it. I see a lot of macans and x3/4 Ms but 63s are pretty rare. Listen if i could id gotten the m3 but the deal with wify was it has to be an suv. We just picked this bad boy up a few days ago. That v8 sounds incredible, reminds me of my aprilia rsv4.
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
stein_325i25073.50
nZtiZia4632.50
FCX52365.50
      06-13-2021, 07:25 PM   #70
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenetic View Post
I would rather have this over the Alfa, although you can only get the coupe in the 63s here.

They really make great looking cars but not a benz guy.
It has been almost a year since this post, and im here to update a little on my situation. I really wanted the stelvio quad but long story short. It was a bunch of shenanigans with the AR dealer. Mind you, they ask for a $3k deposit, thats from both alfa dealers. If someone is willing to drop 3k with no hesitation on a car, why play games? Just be transparent. Perhaps i misunderstood or perhaps alfa romeo has crap communication with their dealers here. All that dont matter now because i havent been this excited to be in and to drive a car since my m2. My wife and kids all love it. I didnt pick the macan gts because equally specced to what i want, was almost 6k more and its just hard to get over that 375 hp/torque in an suv. This is my first mercedes and i love it. I see a lot of macans and x3/4 Ms but 63s are pretty rare. Listen if i could id gotten the m3 but the deal with wify was it has to be an suv. We just picked this bad boy up a few days ago. That v8 sounds incredible, reminds me of my aprilia rsv4.
Congrats and enjoy the new AMG, looks great all blacked out!
Ftpohyeah285.00
      06-14-2021, 01:28 AM   #71
evodz
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M5, 45e

Nice pickup. I only read your original post and your most recent post, so it sounds like you just wanted a fast car all along? Why did you even get the regular X5 in the first place?
Appreciate 1
Ftpohyeah285.00
      06-14-2021, 01:56 AM   #72
timmahh
ghey
United_States
Rep
Drives: Viertürigen Fahrzeugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by evodz View Post
Nice pickup. I only read your original post and your most recent post, so it sounds like you just wanted a fast car all along? Why did you even get the regular X5 in the first place?
I didn't read all four pages of the posts, but if someone's goal is off the line speed, an SA/UV wouldn't be my (nor many others, I assume) first answer.

I believe there's a correlation between vehicle size and performance (assuming top-of-the-line variants). You want super crazy fast? Get a 500+ hp coupe. You want maximum space with some "off-road" prowess? X5, more powerful variants etc., or competitors.

That said, don't get a balanced, non-performance, variant of any vehicle and complain.

The B58 is more than a fun powertrain on the X5. If you need more, there are M50i and M variants. Whatever your personal choices, even a base X5 is a well handling and fun vehicle. Whether or not you need a faster version is up to you, but the core DNA of the X5 is present in all trims and it's a fantastic vehicle.
      06-14-2021, 03:30 AM   #73
TK - 421
There's a storm coming
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW Vader

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmahh View Post
I didn't read all four pages of the posts, but if someone's goal is off the line speed, an SA/UV wouldn't be my (nor many others, I assume) first answer.

I believe there's a correlation between vehicle size and performance (assuming top-of-the-line variants). You want super crazy fast? Get a 500+ hp coupe. You want maximum space with some "off-road" prowess? X5, more powerful variants etc., or competitors.

That said, don't get a balanced, non-performance, variant of any vehicle and complain.

The B58 is more than a fun powertrain on the X5. If you need more, there are M50i and M variants. Whatever your personal choices, even a base X5 is a well handling and fun vehicle. Whether or not you need a faster version is up to you, but the core DNA of the X5 is present in all trims and it's a fantastic vehicle.
Meet the New X3M beast! I actually really like this updated version. Interior vastly improved and more G05 like now. This will be a sub 4 0-60 (3.3 to be exact) on the road I’m betting. Quick enough I’d say, for a couple yet alone an SUV. Win win

https://youtu.be/g4vmDtTLsyk

Last edited by TK - 421; 06-14-2021 at 04:41 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2021, 05:32 AM   #74
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninefourteener View Post
I understand your sentiment, and the desire for more performance. I've been a gearhead and auto enthusiast for over 30 years.

I looked into the Stelvio Q4 pretty seriously as well. When the X3M was released... it was a no-brainer..... and then when the X5M50i was released, the decision was that much easier for me.

Q4 is fast.... beautiful..... and impressive to drive spirited.

..... and is an absolute piece of crap.

Plastic filled interior, outdated and small infotainment, terrible sound system, noisy/rattley interior (not in a good way), and absolutely brutally harsh to drive on a daily basis.

Oh..... and I won't even mention AR's track record for reliability.... or lack thereof.

With all that said, I have EVERY intention of buying a 4C when I get back to the US, for the occasional "weekend" or "track day" drive. But I know AR makes terrible, uncomfortable cars... and would NEVER be delusional enough to expect to use it as a daily driver. The Q4 is the SUV version of the 4C. Great for occasional use... terrible for daily use. And... it's a very fun, very beautiful.... piece of crap. At least I know this going into it with the right expectations.

The 4C is the best modern version of a 70-76 Porsche 914 (my favorite car of all time).... but once again, I understand that 914s are pieces of crap too. 100% emotion... and 0% sensibility.

I can understand not wanting the X540i anymore. I get it. But there are MUCH better choices if you are in the market for a small/midsize performance SUV..... specifically, the X3M. It's just an all-around better, higher quality, more reliable car.

You'll love the Q4 for about a month or 2..... and then come to the realization that with the exception of spirited track-driving..... you hate almost everything about it.
I guess it depends. A colleague of mine first had the Guilia and now the Stelvio QV. Loves it. Sounds great, looks great, drives great. It is a drivers car. It is as close to a Ferrari SUV as you're going to get. I'd personally take a Stelvio QV over an X3M any day of the week - much more special IMHO.

I'd take an M50i overall because I am middle aged and need something more practical as a DD. LOL. I do wish I could own a Stelvio QV.

I was looking to link something to make my point and guess what, found this review that exactly sums up my experience on the Stelvio QV. Crap it is not…if you love to drive something special.

Appreciate 0
      06-14-2021, 08:56 AM   #75
Ftpohyeah
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2022 X3 M Competition  [0.00]
2024 BMW  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by evodz View Post
I was driving a m2c when we were expecting our 2nd child. Wify has always wanted a bigger car and the coupe was always a compromise. I had a golf with our 1st kid. We decided to get a big enough car to fit us and the grandparents so we went with the x5. My x5 was pretty much fully loaded, 3rd row seats, rear seat entertainment, both of which was never used.

I think i missed being in smaller cars becauase as amazing as the x5 40i was(Tanzanite blue, m sport, 21in, alcantara was my favorite), I didnt like how it handled, how it felt. The b58 engine is so fantastic, so smooth so powerful and it moved the heavy ass x5 with a breeze. But there is no oomph, it was surprising how much that mattered to me. That ineffable feeling changes how every drive feels, even grocery runs and the x5 didnt have that for me.

The x5 40i is not the right car for me. It is a 10 out of 10 car - from that 3.0L I6 to the beautiful digital dash to the super luxurious interior to the handsomely looking exterior, objectively it is perfect. Subjctively, driving almost became a choire, a resposibility and i dont want to drive a cr-v hybrid. My sister has one, and it was becoming to feel like that and i wasnt happy.

ps - the x5 is leaps and bounds better than the cr-v in driving and in every other way. except gas mileage. I was only making an anology on how i was feeling about the act of driving.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2021, 09:28 AM   #76
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapel Hill View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by tellch00 View Post
^^ I agree. Having owned many sports cars as well as a 911 race car, there is no SUV that will ever make me think it has some magical sporting prowess. It's a lux SUV. I've had my 40i since end of Feb. and enjoying it, have lots of options, great fit and finish, but damn, i can't get comfortable in this seat. I know there's another thread on that but that's my only real issue.

For the OP, life is short and if it doesn't cause a financial hardship do what makes you happy and bail.
What do people think about the AMG GLC 63 coupe as an alternative?
Awesome car. Looks great live when it is blacked out. I really like the new MB interior. It also looks pretty spacious. The rear seats might have the same legroom as an X5. The one compromise will be the trunk of course. The X5 has more.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2021, 11:29 AM   #77
evodz
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M5, 45e

Quote:
I was driving a m2c when we were expecting our 2nd child. Wify has always wanted a bigger car and the coupe was always a compromise. I had a golf with our 1st kid. We decided to get a big enough car to fit us and the grandparents so we went with the x5. My x5 was pretty much fully loaded, 3rd row seats, rear seat entertainment, both of which was never used.

I think i missed being in smaller cars becauase as amazing as the x5 40i was(Tanzanite blue, m sport, 21in, alcantara was my favorite), I didnt like how it handled, how it felt. The b58 engine is so fantastic, so smooth so powerful and it moved the heavy ass x5 with a breeze. But there is no oomph, it was surprising how much that mattered to me. That ineffable feeling changes how every drive feels, even grocery runs and the x5 didnt have that for me.

The x5 40i is not the right car for me. It is a 10 out of 10 car - from that 3.0L I6 to the beautiful digital dash to the super luxurious interior to the handsomely looking exterior, objectively it is perfect. Subjctively, driving almost became a choire, a resposibility and i dont want to drive a cr-v hybrid. My sister has one, and it was becoming to feel like that and i wasnt happy.

ps - the x5 is leaps and bounds better than the cr-v in driving and in every other way. except gas mileage. I was only making an anology on how i was feeling about the act of driving.

That's a fair point. It was hard for me to leave that driving experience behind too. If I only had 1 car, my 45e would not be it and I would also go into the performance SUV segment like you as well
Appreciate 0