BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-18-2020, 05:51 PM   #1
Rodrick
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 X6 40i (M Sport)

Ordered first BMW - 2021 X6 xDrive 40i (MSport)

Hi all,

Been lurking and reading this forum quite intensely leading up to ordering my first BMW. Thanks for all the very useful info, it helped alot. As stated in the title, it’s a 2021 X6 xDrive 40i (MSport). Ordered with the following features/options:

- black saphire metallic;
- coffee vernesca leather;
- premium enhanced package (equivalent to executive in the US, without sky lounge but with HK);
- Driving assistance professional (includes parking assist);
- DHP (called the ‘M Sport Plus’ package in Canada and includes the Adaptive M Suspension with active roll stabilization and rear steering, integral active steering and M Sport differential);
- 21 inch Y spoke wheels (741M) (I’ll get a separate set of 20 inches for dedicated winter tires);
- Illuminated Kidney Grill (cause why not -don’t plan to have it on while driving);
- Massage function (separate option here).

It will be a daily driver. I buy my cars cash and tend to keep for 7-9 years or so. Plan to get extended warranty and do the same here.

Few questions I still have lingering (can still change order), if anyone wants to chime in:

- I haven’t driven with the DHP, dealer only had air suspension with 21 inch rft. The air suspension was very comfy, but felt a bit ‘floaty’ for my taste. However, I’m not looking for an overly harsh ride eiither. As mentioned, this will be a daily driver for things like a work commutes from suburbs to downtown on quite crappy roads and weekend ski and family drives. Got the DHP for the extra roll stability and low speed maneuverability (in things like tight downtown garages and the like). I’d appreciate feedback on the ‘stiffness’ of this setup on 21 inch rft summers. Would 20s (740M) with A/S rft be a better choice? Much difference between 20s and 21s in terms of ride characteristics?

- speaking of rft, if down the road I were to switch to non-rft, should I/can I get a spare? Would it fit under the luggage compartment?

- vernesca vs merino. I appreciate the lower maintenance (and perhaps extra durability of the vernesca), but was wondering if merino was more comfortable in terms of making seats less stiff? I’m particularly thinking of the back seats. My 10 year old likes some plushness in her seat.

Thanks.

Last edited by Rodrick; 08-19-2020 at 08:18 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2020, 06:21 PM   #2
Rodrick
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

Oh and my order had the comfort close and warming/cooling cup holders as part of the Premium package. Not sure why those would be available in Canada but not in the States. Thought I’d share that as a data point. No acoustic glass that I saw, though.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2020, 08:34 PM   #3
mocad
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 xDrive 40i

Garage List
2021 BMW X5 40i  [0.00]
Congrats! Cool build. I can't help with most of your questions yet, but on the leather point, I had the same concern. I asked my dealer if Merino was a mistake w/ two kids and his take is it should be at least as durable as Vernasca leather. He said the Merino leather is worked more to get the finish it has vs. the stamped finish on the Vernasca. I decided to stick w/ the Merino. I don't have the car yet, so I can't say if that was a mistake but dealer seemed confident it should be fine.

I later went to see the Merino in person and I was happy with what I saw. It seems durable, just a higher quality leather, overall.

Current: 2023 X5 xDrive 40i (on order)
R.I.P.: 2021 X5 xDrive 40i (18-Jul-2022)
Past: 2008 335xi (fond memories)
Appreciate 1
Rodrick34.50
      08-18-2020, 09:02 PM   #4
UpstateCP
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 x40i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodrick View Post
- speaking of rft, if down the road I were to switch to non-rft, should I/can I get a spare? Would it fit under the luggage compartment?
Thanks.
In the US the space-saver spare is a $150 option when ordering which is a no brainer whether you intend to use it or not. If similar cost where you are I would get it in your build now vs. paying 3 or 4x that aftermarket. If nothing else you can sell it if you opt to not use it. And yes, it fits under the cargo compartment and don't even know it's there.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2020, 09:25 PM   #5
BeeMdblU
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: F86, F25, G16

If you're keeping the car for as long as you say, may I suggest Tartuffo vs coffee, also the red calipers and the black grill with extended shadowline, there's also the glass application on interior elements which is a nice touch.
why did you take the 21" wheels if you get the 22's with the M-sports plus package specially if you're getting a dedicated winter set.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2020, 09:40 PM   #6
Rodrick
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateCP View Post
In the US the space-saver spare is a $150 option when ordering which is a no brainer whether you intend to use it or not. If similar cost where you are I would get it in your build now vs. paying 3 or 4x that aftermarket. If nothing else you can sell it if you opt to not use it. And yes, it fits under the cargo compartment and don't even know it's there.
Thanks. Did not see that as an option here nor did the dealership mention it. I will contact them to ask.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeMdblU View Post
If you're keeping the car for as long as you say, may I suggest Tartuffo vs coffee, also the red calipers and the black grill with extended shadowline, there's also the glass application on interior elements which is a nice touch.
why did you take the 21" wheels if you get the 22's with the M-sports plus package specially if you're getting a dedicated winter set.
I am fence sitting about Tartuffo merino vs coffee vesnasca. Mostly durability/wear concerns down the road. Tried reading as much as I could, but it seems fairly inconclusive. Are you recommending tartuffo based on aesthetics/feel? Is there a durability penalty vs vernesca?

I got the black window shadowline. Prefer the non black grill. Red calipers are like 650$ extra over the blue. Don’t feel it justified just on the colour. I’ve mused over the glass controls, ultimately felt it a bit much. Based on photos, though, dealership didn’t have a car with them.

The 21’ 741M is actually the wheel than comes ‘standard’ with my build. I just left it as is. 22’ is a few hundred more and did not think it necessary. Dedicated winters are mandatory here, so I’d order a 20’ set regardless.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2020, 09:43 PM   #7
Rodrick
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

BeeMDblu, just saw that you are mtl based. So am I. Small world.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2020, 11:05 PM   #8
BeeMdblU
Captain
Canada
Rep

I'm basing Tartuffo on aesthetics the color is more lively in the long run and not boring, Merino is a better quality leather than vernasca it's softer and feels better, the red calipers are nicer on black maybe you'll regret not getting them down the line, the glass application is different but nice to have either way might not think about it later on, but it's nice and you won't regret it. for the wheels aesthetically speaking the bicolor 22 looks better unless you think the 21's are more comfortable but for 475$ anyone will switch with you later on if you don't like them. all the extra options are about 2000$ but for a car that's costing you upward of 100k and you plan to keep long it's well worth it.
what dealer did you see? it seems your rep was lacking passion.
Appreciate 1
Rodrick34.50
      08-18-2020, 11:14 PM   #9
BeeMdblU
Captain
Canada
Rep

a couple last things, the black grills makes the car look more aggressive and complete and also comes with the dark chrome tail pipes surround in the rear, (if it's something you like). you didn't mention the black window surround in your build that's why I mentioned shadowline before. and the 22's are non runflat so you should be getting a tire repair kit with the car, it's a one time usage thing
Appreciate 1
Rodrick34.50
      08-18-2020, 11:36 PM   #10
Rodrick
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

Thanks. Do you know if they have the space saver tire option in Canada? The dealership has been very accommodating (tried a variety of models, loaned me a car for the weekend, etc), but on options I felt I was becoming more knowledgeable than them in a rather short time.

Regarding the 22’, do you have much of an opinion on the effect on ride characteristics? I’m under the impression that the difference between 20’, 21’ and 22’ would be fairly negligible, but could be wrong. I like a more direct feel than what the air suspension gave, but like mentioned don’t want it overly harsh for a daily commute/family trips either.

I’ll seriously reconsider the tartuffo, thanks. It does fell much more supple, I was just worried about durability with a kid and long ownership. Not too crazy about the diamond stitching either, but it’s a relatively minor disagreement.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2020, 11:44 PM   #11
Pumxee
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW X6

How much did you build cost you if you don't mind me asking?
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2020, 11:47 PM   #12
Rodrick
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumxee View Post
How much did you build cost you if you don't mind me asking?
Right around cad$100k.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2020, 11:50 PM   #13
Rodrick
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

Was initially looking at the X4 M40i, but switched because of more luxurious interior, more up-to-date tech and backrow and trunk space.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2020, 11:50 PM   #14
BeeMdblU
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Thanks. Do you know if they have the space saver tire option in Canada? The dealership has been very accommodating (tried a variety of models, loaned me a car for the weekend, etc), but on options I felt I was becoming more knowledgeable than them in a rather short time.

Regarding the 22’, do you have much of an opinion on the effect on ride characteristics? I’m under the impression that the difference between 20’, 21’ and 22’ would be fairly negligible, but could be wrong. I like a more direct feel than what the air suspension gave, but like mentioned don’t want it overly harsh for a daily commute/family trips either.

I’ll seriously reconsider the tartuffo, thanks. It does fell much more supple, I was just worried about durability with a kid and long ownership. Not too crazy about the diamond stitching either, but it’s a relatively minor disagreement.
I'm not sure about the space savor but don't think so, the 22's are non rft to compensate for the harshness plus you'll be on winters for 5 months you don't wanna get off those to get into 21's. Don't worry about leather durability, I guess treat it a couple times and you'll be good.
Appreciate 1
Rodrick34.50
      08-18-2020, 11:53 PM   #15
Pumxee
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Right around cad$100k.
Nice deal!
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2020, 11:57 PM   #16
Rodrick
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Nice deal!
Is it? That’s plus sales tax. Dealer rebate was $2,500 with additional $1k on a program rebate. Felt that was minimal. It was an order and post-covid lockdown the dealership seems to be selling cars like hotcakes for some reason...
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2020, 12:01 AM   #17
Pumxee
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Nice deal!
Is it? That’s plus sales tax. Dealer rebate was $2,500 with additional $1k on a program rebate. Felt that was minimal. It was an order and post-covid the dealership seems to be selling cars like hotcakes for some reason...
I do think getting the premium excellence package would've been better deal for an additional few 4-5k. Would you be able to modify your order to that?

BMW Parts and Accessories

https://pumperformance.com
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2020, 07:30 AM   #18
Scotch_Rye
Rep
Drives: BMW x5 40i

Quote:
Hi all,

Been lurking and reading this forum quite intensely leading up to ordering my first BMW. Thanks for all the very useful info, it helped alot. As stated in the title, it's a 2021 X6 xDrive 40i (MSport). Ordered with the following features/options:

- black saphire metallic;
- coffee vernesca leather;
- premium enhanced package (equivalent to executive in the US, without sky lounge but with HK);
- Driving assistance professional (includes parking assist);
- DHP (called the 'M Sport Plus' package in Canada and includes the Adaptive M Suspension with active roll stabilization and rear steering, integral active steering and M Sport differential);
- 21 inch Y spoke wheels (741M) (I'll get a separate set of 20 inches for dedicated winter tires);
- Illuminated Kidney Grill (cause why not -don't plan to have it on while driving);
- Massage function (separate option here).

It will be a daily driver. I buy my cars cash and tend to keep for 7-9 years or so. Plan to get extended warranty and do the same here.

Few questions I still have lingering (can still change order), if anyone wants to chime in:

- I haven't driven with the DHP, dealer only had air suspension with 21 inch rft. The air suspension was very comfy, but felt a bit 'floaty' for my taste. However, I'm not looking for an overly harsh ride eiither. As mentioned, this will be a daily driver for things like a work commutes from suburbs to downtown on quite crappy roads and weekend ski and family drives. Got the DHP for the extra roll stability and low speed maneuverability (in things like tight downtown garages and the like). I'd appreciate feedback on the 'stiffness' of this setup on 21 inch rft summers. Would 20s (740M) with A/S rft be a better choice? Much difference between 20s and 21s in terms of ride characteristics?

- vernesca vs merino. I appreciate the lower maintenance (and perhaps extra durability of the vernesca), but was wondering if merino was more comfortable in terms of making seats less stiff? I'm particularly thinking of the back seats. My 10 year old likes some pushness in her seat.

Thanks.
If your getting the 21 inches wheels then go air as you said it's a daily driver. It will even the road out. If you want the adaptive suspension then go 20 inch all season.

I like the air as when you put into sport mode it's not floaty. And it lower in the tires. Less wheel well gap. Looks better
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2020, 01:32 PM   #19
Rodrick
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

Hi all, sorry for the bump, I just had an additional question. I decided to add the tartufo extended merino instead of the coffee vernesca. Question: I had not taken the ventilated option because my understanding was that without the ventilation the merino seats would not be perforated. My dealer was not sure if this is the case. Does anyone know if this is the case (ie. if not choosing the ventilated option makes it so that the merino seats are not perforated?).

Also, just as a follow up on the above posts, I ended up having to take the 22’ (742M bicolour) to get the DHP (DHP was not available with the 21’). My dealer also confirmed that the space saving spare option is not available in Canada. The 22’ are non rft and just come with a tire repair kit. Also added the BW sound system after a few reviews.

Thanks.

Last edited by Rodrick; 08-21-2020 at 02:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2020, 02:18 PM   #20
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive40i M Sport

Quote:
Hi all, sorry for the bump, I just had an additional question. I decided to add the tartufo extended merino instead of the coffee vernesca. Question: I had not taken the ventilated option because my understanding was that without the ventilation the merino seats would not be perforated. My dealer was not sure if this is the case. Does anyone know if this is the case (ie. if not choosing the ventilated option makes it so that the merino seats are not perforated?).
Correct, non-luxury multi-contour seating in Extended Merino leather is not perforated (see enclosed image). Ventilation will add perforations.

Name:  88d7f5c8fc13badd14e2fc1412607d87.jpg
Views: 670
Size:  172.5 KB

Appreciate 1
Rodrick34.50
      08-21-2020, 02:28 PM   #21
Rodrick
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

Thank you. I should have specified. In Canada, we do not seem to have a lux seating package. The massage and ventilation options are stand alone options ($750 for massage and $500 for ventilation). The online configurator does not show any difference in the seats when picking ventilated seats (always shows non perforated). I picked the massage option. I’m wondering if by default that brings the ‘lux’ seats and thus perforated seats regardless of whether I also choose the ventilation option.

Last edited by Rodrick; 08-21-2020 at 02:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2020, 02:45 PM   #22
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive40i M Sport

Quote:
Thank you. I should have specified. In Canada, we do not seem to have a comfort vs lux seating package. The massage and ventilation options are stand alone options ($750 for massage and $500 for ventilation). The online configurator does not show any difference in the seats when picking ventilated seats (always shows non perforated). It also always just lists them as ‘sport seats’ even with merino. I picked the massage option. I’m wondering if by default that brings the ‘lux’ seats and thus perforated seats regardless of whether I also choose the ventilation option.
Apologies, I haven't been tracking changes for CA but familiar with the packaging structure.

Forum members will use option terms such as comfort seating, multi-contour seating - they're one in the same and are equivalent to the 456 Comfort Seats that's included in the Premium Enhanced Package.

453 Ventilated Seats and 4T7 Massage Function for Driver and Passenger are optional as you mentioned.

In the USA for MY20, 456/453/4T7 are packaged as ZLS Luxury Seating Package. If you hear us Yanks use the term Lux seating - it'll mean 456/453/4T7.

I did locate X5 with Premium Enhanced Package and extended Tartufo extended Merino with just 4T7 Massage Function for Driver and Passenger at Bavaria BMW. From the photos, confirming extended Merino is smooth for 456 with 4T7.

https://www.bavariabmw.ca/inventory/...U4C03L9D01682/

Name:  c414f01996804cbc9a1887f8b3db0011.jpg
Views: 661
Size:  167.8 KB

Last edited by Auricom; 08-21-2020 at 02:57 PM..
Appreciate 1
Rodrick34.50