BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

08-26-2020, 02:51 PM   #1
JJ Aviator
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X5 40i

Took delivery of my Brand New 2021 x5 then 12 hours later...

Hey guys, brand new BMW owner here! I've been a truck guy for most of my life but recently I've been in the market for a luxury SUV. I don't need the truck space anymore but still need more cargo room than a car since I have 3 kids.

So last Tuesday August 18th I purchased my first BMW a 2021 X5 i40 in Dark Graphite. It's gorgeous!!

12 hours later I was driving down the highway and the check engine light came on. Immediately called the dealership and they though it might have something to do with Radiator flaps. Dropped it off to them and now a week later I still don't have my car. I've been told it's a software engine tuning code that they are working to resolve. Apparently the local techs aren't even working on the car, there is an engineer remoted into the car from New Jersey and they are trying to correct the program issue. I've been very patient, but at this point I'm getting pretty frustrated. I even received my first bill in the mail yesterday from BWM Financial which really rubbed salt in the wound. Today a week later there is still no update.

Thoughts and suggestions

Last edited by JJ Aviator; 08-26-2020 at 03:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2020, 03:12 PM   #2
Caramel
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: blue car, grey car, white bike

Not your local dealership's fault if you get a lemon car from the plant. Also a good call that they do not try to tamper with the engine coding themselves.

Bottom line: Identify who you are frustrated with. Identify what your concrete ask is from the dealership. They won't be able to magically fix your car overnight unless NJ guy gets his job done.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2020, 03:13 PM   #3
moodyhank82
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G05 45e & G87 6MT

Sorry to hear that, very frustrating indeed. I hope at least they put you in a nice loaner in the meantime, not an X1 or something...
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2020, 03:16 PM   #4
JJ Aviator
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caramel View Post
Not your local dealership's fault if you get a lemon car from the plant. Also a good call that they do not try to tamper with the engine coding themselves.

Bottom line: Identify who you are frustrated with. Identify what your concrete ask is from the dealership. They won't be able to magically fix your car overnight unless NJ guy gets his job done.
Yea that's fair. Guess I'm just frustrated. At this point I am more worried about starting the ownership out this way. Hopefully it's a minor issue and won't be another problem. I just hate to start out my experience with BMW this way.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2020, 03:26 PM   #5
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

It obviously is frustrating but unfortunately every once and awhile there are problems like this. Hopefully they will get it fixed soon. Just in case the problem comes up again in the future, make sure you are keeping track of the dates that the vehicle goes into the shop. While a Lemon Law case would be possible it would likely be easier to get a buy back from BMW. I would imagine it will not come to that though.

Mine was in the shop for over 7 weeks last year so I certainly know how you feel.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2020, 03:27 PM   #6
JJ Aviator
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
It obviously is frustrating but unfortunately every once and awhile there are problems like this. Hopefully they will get it fixed soon. Just in case the problem comes up again in the future, make sure you are keeping track of the dates that the vehicle goes into the shop. While a Lemon Law case would be possible it would likely be easier to get a buy back from BMW. I would imagine it will not come to that though.

Mine was in the shop for over 7 weeks last year so I certainly know how you feel.
Ok, I'll be patient a little while longer. Thanks guys
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2020, 03:37 PM   #7
DENtoLAS
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i

Damn, I would be freaking out and asking for a refund.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2020, 03:57 PM   #8
Frenetic
PANIC!
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Call BMW corporate and see what they have to say. Ask for them to make your payment while it's in the shop (assuming you have one).

However, start documenting everything in case you have to lemon this thing. Also, in most states, legal counsel for lemon cases are free (i.e., reimbursable by BMW once the claim settles), so don't be afraid to get an attorney to help you if you feel like you're getting the run around and/or the amount of time in the shop fits your state's laws for a lemon claim.

You can just flat-out ask them to do a buyback and/or get a replacement and if they say no, and you're under the lemon requirements, sue them. If you do sue them and prevail, whatever you do, don't sign an NDA (as I think BMW makes people do this as a requirement for a settlement) because we want hear what happened...

Good luck. You're more patient than I would be that's for sure.
Appreciate 4
thereef5101164.00
sygazelle11329.50
nathanm4682.00
amdmaxx119.00
      08-26-2020, 03:59 PM   #9
BMWBear
Ultimate Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: N/A

I’m beginning to sound like a broke record but I’ve been waiting 5 months for a replacement part and no one at BMW gives a rats behind. Good luck with your situation.
Appreciate 1
nathanm4682.00
      08-26-2020, 04:10 PM   #10
DgjoX6M2016
F86, G05, E91
United_States
Rep
Drives: F86 X6M

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Aviator View Post
Hey guys, brand new BMW owner here! I've been a truck guy for most of my life but recently I've been in the market for a luxury SUV. I don't need the truck space anymore but still need more cargo room than a car since I have 3 kids.

So last Tuesday August 18th I purchased my first BMW a 2021 X5 i40 in Dark Graphite. It's gorgeous!!

12 hours later I was driving down the highway and the check engine light came on. Immediately called the dealership and they though it might have something to do with Radiator flaps. Dropped it off to them and now a week later I still don't have my car. I've been told it's a software engine tuning code that they are working to resolve. Apparently the local techs aren't even working on the car, there is an engineer remoted into the car from New Jersey and they are trying to correct the program issue. I've been very patient, but at this point I'm getting pretty frustrated. I even received my first bill in the mail yesterday from BWM Financial which really rubbed salt in the wound. Today a week later there is still no update.

Thoughts and suggestions
Three points:

-Its BS that happened and it damages the brand.
-I'm sure they will fix it.
-They better have you in an awesome temporary vehicle. I'm thinking something with an M in the right place.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2020, 04:44 PM   #11
IftiBashir
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 MSport 40i

I'd certainly be asking for some goodwill gesture with that first payment considering they have had the car more then you have!
Appreciate 2
supdes48.00
Tejael64.00
      08-26-2020, 04:49 PM   #12
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

This happens with every brand and price point. I personal know of a new 911 turbo that didn’t make it 5 miles before the transmission blew up on the way home from the dealership. Dealership put in a new transmission with 90 miles on the odometer and life went on for the owner.
Appreciate 1
themnmd1691.00
      08-26-2020, 05:28 PM   #13
mrjoed2
Banned
Rep
Drives: '14 650 M Sport Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYEIL View Post
I’m beginning to sound like a broke record but I’ve been waiting 5 months for a replacement part and no one at BMW gives a rats behind. Good luck with your situation.
That's crazy- what part are you waiting on?
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2020, 05:32 PM   #14
mrjoed2
Banned
Rep
Drives: '14 650 M Sport Edition

Quote:

Thoughts and suggestions
One though. the X5 has what's called a "active grill" It has slats that open/close on the grill based on temperatures. If that's it & the slats are stuck open I don't any reason you can't drive it - won't hurt anything, if stuck closed, probably not a good idea. Would be curious if it was mine. And what model X5?
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2020, 06:00 PM   #15
ElectroGeek
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 G05 50i

you think you have it bad.... I got my 2019, it was summer, 1 hour of driving a buddy hopped in, when his feet hit the floor water slashed everywhere... took it to BMW and they came back with the AC condensation drain pan had a misplaced screw hole in it that was causing the water to drain inside the car instead of outside..

The solution was to remove the front seats, center console, steering wheel, entire dash, and lift the carpet to dry it to replace the ac box.. 1 month later it was fixed up.

But my local shop did a wonderful job. Honestly I was beyond angry at the time, but when I got back into the car and rocketed down the road I no longer cared.. love the car very happy with the purchase.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2020, 07:45 PM   #16
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport, 2019 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenetic View Post
Call BMW corporate and see what they have to say. Ask for them to make your payment while it's in the shop (assuming you have one).

However, start documenting everything in case you have to lemon this thing. Also, in most states, legal counsel for lemon cases are free (i.e., reimbursable by BMW once the claim settles), so don't be afraid to get an attorney to help you if you feel like you're getting the run around and/or the amount of time in the shop fits your state's laws for a lemon claim.

You can just flat-out ask them to do a buyback and/or get a replacement and if they say no, and you're under the lemon requirements, sue them. If you do sue them and prevail, whatever you do, don't sign an NDA (as I think BMW makes people do this as a requirement for a settlement) because we want hear what happened...

Good luck. You're more patient than I would be that's for sure.
^^^ This is great advice. My wife's G05 got sideswiped while parked. It took 2 months for BMW to get the parts to fix it. I contacted BMW corporate to talk about a long term loaner since my insurance only covered one month. They not only paid for the loaner, they offered without being asked to give me one month's credit on my car payment. Totally unexpected and a very nice gesture.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2020, 03:56 AM   #17
JJ Aviator
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjoed2 View Post
One though. the X5 has what's called a "active grill" It has slats that open/close on the grill based on temperatures. If that's it & the slats are stuck open I don't any reason you can't drive it - won't hurt anything, if stuck closed, probably not a good idea. Would be curious if it was mine. And what model X5?
We originally thought that was it but it was not. It was a engine tuning code
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2020, 04:00 AM   #18
JJ Aviator
Rep

Well within an hour of venting here the service department called me and said they have it working. Picked it up last night and it seems to be driving fine with no engine light. Apparently it took 3 different versions of the current software to finally fix it. The service department drove the car 150 miles to make sure the light didn't come back on. What's crazy is they have more miles on the car than I do!! Regardless I have my car back and am so glad to be back in it. I think the most frustrating part was this happening within hours of driving off the lot.

Thanks guys for all the feedback, sounds like it was a random situation and several of you def had it much worse than I did! The loaner was a 5 series sedan.

Last edited by JJ Aviator; 08-27-2020 at 04:09 AM..
Appreciate 2
TurtleBoy13167.50
      08-27-2020, 05:15 AM   #19
Caramel
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: blue car, grey car, white bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjoed2 View Post
There are dozens of reasons why the CEL would come on. Fortunately, the car will log a specific error code which allows the repair technician to identify which parts of the car are faulty.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2020, 09:47 AM   #20
dds007
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F95, F97, F85, F82

Problems on a MY21!? Geezus I'm getting worried about my orders now.
      08-27-2020, 11:51 AM   #21
Mixitt
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 X40i; 2021 Z4 30i

Quote:
Well within an hour of venting here the service department called me and said they have it working. Picked it up last night and it seems to be driving fine with no engine light. Apparently it took 3 different versions of the current software to finally fix it. The service department drove the car 150 miles to make sure the light didn't come back on. What's crazy is they have more miles on the car than I do!! Regardless I have my car back and am so glad to be back in it. I think the most frustrating part was this happening within hours of driving off the lot.

Thanks guys for all the feedback, sounds like it was a random situation and several of you def had it much worse than I did! The loaner was a 5 series sedan.

Glad it worked out. No one needs the aggravation. Wait till you need parts! We waited 2 weeks with a loaner for a simple front passenger vent part "that had to be manufactured". That was 10 months ago. Hopefully the parts situation has improved.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2020, 06:55 PM   #22
JJ Aviator
Rep

Well I guess I spoke to soon, brought it home from the service center last night and this afternoon the check engine light is back on!

Soooo frustrating!
Appreciate 0