BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

08-27-2020, 07:06 PM   #23
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Aviator View Post
Well I guess I spoke to soon, brought it home from the service center last night and this afternoon the check engine light is back on!

Soooo frustrating!
I feel your pain. Hopefully they track it down and fix it correctly this time.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2020, 07:08 PM   #24
POBA
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M5C

Sorry for your trouble buddy! On a different note, 150 miles test drive is very excessive IMHO...
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2020, 07:40 PM   #25
JJ Aviator
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by POBA View Post
Sorry for your trouble buddy! On a different note, 150 miles test drive is very excessive IMHO...
The engineer in NJ would install a new software and then send them out for a 40 mile drive to test it. Apparently they did that 3-4 times.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2020, 07:56 PM   #26
Cooltones
Happy M Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: E60 M5, F82 M4, G05 X5

Oh No. And here I was following your thread and was happy to hear the good news, and then got bad news again....
When the X5 is "working", it's a a fun drive. I hope they resolve the problem and get it back to you soon.
Cheers,
-Tony
2020 X5 40i M Sport - The "Unicorn" (B&W Sound, Touch Screen, Heated/Cooled Cup Holders, Soft Close Doors, Acoustic Glass, Full Alcantara & Glass Controls, Luggage Compartment Package, Heated/Ventilated Seats, Laser Lights, Fog Lights)
2016 M4 Coupe; 2008 Dinan S1 M5; 2006 530i; 1998 328i
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2020, 09:02 PM   #27
JJ Aviator
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooltones View Post
Oh No. And here I was following your thread and was happy to hear the good news, and then got bad news again....
When the X5 is "working", it's a a fun drive. I hope they resolve the problem and get it back to you soon.
Cheers,
-Tony
Oh I love it for the limited time I’ve had it. That’s what makes it so frustrating is I absolutely love the car.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2020, 09:12 PM   #28
BeeMdblU
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: F86, F25, G16

Quote:
Oh I love it for the limited time I’ve had it. That’s what makes it so frustrating is I absolutely love the car.
The least they should do is waive the coming months payment assuming it's not paid in full, however they wouldn't offer it but you need to ask for it. It's totally unacceptable to get a brand new car not working few hours later and you've been too bloody calm about it
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2020, 08:41 PM   #29
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 iX xDrive50, DGM

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BYEIL View Post
I’m beginning to sound like a broke record but I’ve been waiting 5 months for a replacement part and no one at BMW gives a rats behind. Good luck with your situation.
Since last September. I win, I win!
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2020, 07:06 AM   #30
Frenetic
PANIC!
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

At this point I would just ask for a buyback and get a new one, assuming you would want another one. Unless you're willing to wait it out.

But again, start documenting everything. All communications (try to communicate by email, but take formal notes of any verbal conversations including who, when and what about), how long it has been in the shop/unavailable, etc. Better to have that information available and not need it, then need it and not have it. If BMW clams up (the dealership and/or corporate) get legal counsel.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2020, 07:26 AM   #31
JJ Aviator
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenetic View Post
At this point I would just ask for a buyback and get a new one, assuming you would want another one. Unless you're willing to wait it out.

But again, start documenting everything. All communications (try to communicate by email, but take formal notes of any verbal conversations including who, when and what about), how long it has been in the shop/unavailable, etc. Better to have that information available and not need it, then need it and not have it. If BMW clams up (the dealership and/or corporate) get legal counsel.
They told me a buyback similar to lemon law is a long process and that we are no where close as of yet. I may call corporate and see what they say.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2020, 08:32 AM   #32
Frenetic
PANIC!
Rep

Of course they're going to say that; don't let that dissuade you. Educate yourself and read up on Texas' lemon laws.
Appreciate 1
dds007411.00
      08-29-2020, 09:24 AM   #33
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Of course they're going to say that; don't let that dissuade you. Educate yourself and read up on Texas' lemon laws.
He is a long way aways from being able to pursue a Lemon Law case in Texas. There are a few different ways to become eligible for a Lemon Law case there: the four times test, safety hazard test or the 30 day test.

This wouldn't fall under the safety hazard and the 30 day does not apply since he is getting a loaner car. Probably could argue comparability but highly unlikely that would succeed. Given that, he would have to wait until they tried four times to fix the problem and have not been successful.

https://www.txdmv.gov/motorists/cons...tion/lemon-law

At this point I think contacting BMW to make them aware of the situation and discuss what compensation may be available would be the best course of action. Should things continue to go bad with the repairs then a buy back can be brought up with them.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2020, 03:58 PM   #34
JJ Aviator
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
He is a long way aways from being able to pursue a Lemon Law case in Texas. There are a few different ways to become eligible for a Lemon Law case there: the four times test, safety hazard test or the 30 day test.

This wouldn't fall under the safety hazard and the 30 day does not apply since he is getting a loaner car. Probably could argue comparability but highly unlikely that would succeed. Given that, he would have to wait until they tried four times to fix the problem and have not been successful.

https://www.txdmv.gov/motorists/cons...tion/lemon-law

At this point I think contacting BMW to make them aware of the situation and discuss what compensation may be available would be the best course of action. Should things continue to go bad with the repairs then a buy back can be brought up with them.
This is my understanding as well
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2020, 04:29 PM   #35
Frenetic
PANIC!
Rep

Well how many times have you taken it in so far? Twice? Two more times within the next two years and it will meet the criteria. For California, it’s just 30 days, regardless of loaner, and it doesn’t have to be consecutive.

Like I said, start documenting everything.

It doesn’t hurt to ask for a buyback or buyer assistance now, before you reach any legal threshold. If it takes a long time, so be it. How long has your car been in the shop? What are the chances it will return? The time necessary, assuming BMW agrees, may be less than the time your car is stuck in the shop while BMW engineers scratch their head.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2020, 08:24 PM   #36
JJ Aviator
Rep

Quote:
Well how many times have you taken it in so far? Twice? Two more times within the next two years and it will meet the criteria. For California, it’s just 30 days, regardless of loaner, and it doesn’t have to be consecutive.

Like I said, start documenting everything.

It doesn’t hurt to ask for a buyback or buyer assistance now, before you reach any legal threshold. If it takes a long time, so be it. How long has your car been in the shop? What are the chances it will return? The time necessary, assuming BMW agrees, may be less than the time your car is stuck in the shop while BMW engineers scratch their head.
I bought it on the 18th. I’ve had it 2 of the last 12 days since I purchased it.

Taken it in twice.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2020, 10:07 AM   #37
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

Quote:
Hey guys, brand new BMW owner here! I've been a truck guy for most of my life but recently I've been in the market for a luxury SUV. I don't need the truck space anymore but still need more cargo room than a car since I have 3 kids.

So last Tuesday August 18th I purchased my first BMW a 2021 X5 i40 in Dark Graphite. It's gorgeous!!

12 hours later I was driving down the highway and the check engine light came on. Immediately called the dealership and they though it might have something to do with Radiator flaps. Dropped it off to them and now a week later I still don't have my car. I've been told it's a software engine tuning code that they are working to resolve. Apparently the local techs aren't even working on the car, there is an engineer remoted into the car from New Jersey and they are trying to correct the program issue. I've been very patient, but at this point I'm getting pretty frustrated. I even received my first bill in the mail yesterday from BWM Financial which really rubbed salt in the wound. Today a week later there is still no update.

Thoughts and suggestions
talk to the GM of the dealership, request to have your first payment covered. BMW may cover it in certain situations, sounds like you may have a case.

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2020, 08:25 PM   #38
JJ Aviator
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLFFRR View Post
talk to the GM of the dealership, request to have your first payment covered. BMW may cover it in certain situations, sounds like you may have a case.
Thanks for the advice. I talked to them today and they told me they will cover the first payment.

It’s still in the shop. They are bringing in another engineer to the team that’s working on it. They still don’t know what’s causing it.
Appreciate 2
GOLFFRR10722.50
thereef5101163.00
      09-02-2020, 09:06 AM   #39
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

Quote:
Thanks for the advice. I talked to them today and they told me they will cover the first payment.

It’s still in the shop. They are bringing in another engineer to the team that’s working on it. They still don’t know what’s causing it.
thats awesome. Usually BMW will, if the car is in the shop for a certain amount of time. Def worth asking especially in your situation!! Well I hope you get is dialed in ASAP and you can enjoy the new ride, what a bummer! But im sure they will get it set up soon!

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2020, 02:14 PM   #40
rmorin1249
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 MSport 40i

So glad I am leasing mine. I would not want want of these without a warranty.

COL(Ret), US Army Hagerstown MD
2019 X5 40i MSport Alpine White/Coffee (my 13th BMW)
2015 Mercedes SL400; 2009 Lexus RX350
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2020, 02:27 PM   #41
Thewolfbmw
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 Competition (G80)

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

They told me a buyback similar to lemon law is a long process and that we are no where close as of yet. I may call corporate and see what they say.
My buyback took less than a month for approval and then waited 45 days for my build. Took delivery of 1st X5 in June then took delivery of new one in August. The dealership and BMW were great to work with. I never once spoke to BMW, only dealer.

I had impeccable documentation, notes and emails.
Appreciate 1
Frenetic477.50
      09-05-2020, 09:13 PM   #42
JJ Aviator
Rep

Well hopefully I won’t have to go the buyback route. After 3 weeks I got my car back yesterday and so far so good. I hope it stays this way. I love the car!
Appreciate 4
TurtleBoy12885.00
BigFix16.00
thereef5101163.00
      09-06-2020, 08:27 AM   #43
hkleyman
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 50i M-Sport

Quote:
Well hopefully I won't have to go the buyback route. After 3 weeks I got my car back yesterday and so far so good. I hope it stays this way. I love the car!
What did they do to fix?
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2020, 12:53 PM   #44
LIX5510
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2001 325i, 2013 328xi

Please continue to keep us posted?

Hi JJAviator, I picked up by 2021 X5 on 8/29 and yesterday, one week after delivery, the check engine light came on. I started it remotely and then noticed when I got to the car that it was off. When I started it again from inside the car, the check engine light was on. I drove it about 5 miles or so, parked it as I visited with family, and then when I restarted a few hours later, the light did not come on. So unnerving for a car that is so expensive and new. I plan to call the dealer to take it in on Tuesday, so they can check the code. Please do post if you need to take your car back in -- would be good to know. Thanks.
Appreciate 0