BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

09-13-2020, 03:39 PM   #1
Eu001939
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5 30d MSport and X3 20d

45e fuel/energy consumption and charging

Is anyone else getting frustrated with the fuel&energy consumption/remaining indications and battery logic on the 45e ?

-it is impossible to see the average fuel consumption of the ICE. It is always calculated based on the total km including electrical. So you never know how much your petrol engine's consumption is.
-the range indication on the left in the dash display is based on history and assumes you recharge the batteries at the same intervals. So the other day, after filling up the fueltank, I get a reading that says 1250km range. I did a lot of small, electrical distances the previous weeks, but here I am, ready to drive 280 km to Germany, and my range is 1250 km ! Oh, and when I got there, the range was 550km. Drove back home two days later, and now the range is less than 100 km. All I want to know is how far I can drive before I have to stop for fuel ! And by the way, the petrol engine is a gas guzzler. And the fueltank is way too small.
-For reasons unknown my setting for charging regularly switches back from 16A to 6A. The result is half a charge in the morning.
-why can't we get RPM indications in Sport mode ?
-If you enter a timeframe with cheap electricity (for example 22h-7h) it will not start charging before 22h (which is fine) but will also stop at 7h. So come home late, and the next day your battery will never be fully charged. Extend the time to later in the morning, and your car might start charging after 7h if you had an early drive.

I love the car, but I really have a hard time understanding the logic of those German Engineers...(like the camera's only recording max 20 sec of video before and after an accident or push of the button...waaaay to short)

Anyone else having those frustrations ?
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2020, 03:42 AM   #2
biterror
Captain
Finland
Rep
Drives: X5 45e 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eu001939 View Post
Is anyone else getting frustrated with the fuel&energy consumption/remaining indications and battery logic on the 45e ?

-the range indication on the left in the dash display is based on history and assumes you recharge the batteries at the same intervals. So the other day, after filling up the fueltank, I get a reading that says 1250km range. I did a lot of small, electrical distances the previous weeks, but here I am, ready to drive 280 km to Germany, and my range is 1250 km ! Oh, and when I got there, the range was 550km. Drove back home two days later, and now the range is less than 100 km. All I want to know is how far I can drive before I have to stop for fuel ! And by the way, the petrol engine is a gas guzzler. And the fueltank is way too small.
I think I saw something similar when test driving the 45e. I drove about 300 km from the dealer and parked the car for ten minutes. When I got back, I had lost 100-200 km of range during that ten minute stop. The same happened again when I stopped after 30 km.

I absolutely agree that the drivable distance displayed should be based on the current level of fuel and charge, not some theoretical "if you charge the battery to 100% after every 50 km" value.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2020, 03:55 AM   #3
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

Overal fuel consumption is around 10 l/100 km. So if you can't charge and for a larger trip it is around 5-600 km range. I agree that the indicated range doesn't help at all. But I just know that with a full tank I can do 500-600 km.
Electric range on the highway is around 60 km. So those are what you can expect when you leave for a longer trip with full tank and battery. In Germany at 200 km/h it will be different

I think 10 l/ 100 km is not too bad, it is a heavy car and it is not a diesel.

The fuel tank is smaller indeed. But 5-600 km before a stop on a road trip should be ok.

Last time I took fuel is 6 weeks ago. I only have to when visiting family or on holidays.

Switching to 6A is annoying indeed. I hope they can solve it with next update. I always check when my battery is really low if it is on 6 or 10A because on 6 it can't fully charge overnight.

If you program for the cheap charging hours, you get the cheap charging hours and that will overrule the not fully charged battery. But if you plug in around for example at 19 when you get home you only have 3 expensive hours and the rest is cheaper anyway. So I never program for cheap energy hours. Or you can make it start at 22h and stop at 9 when you will have unplugged anyway.

You can get RPM in sport mode.

There are some things getting used to, some things that could be better. But frustrating, there are more important things in life to be frustrated about 😜.
Appreciate 1
volodp193.50
      09-14-2020, 05:42 AM   #4
bhe
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep
Drives: X5 G05 45e

I never saw more then 900 km for total distance yet

I drove to Italy and back, with 4 persons, a lot of baggage and did a lot of mountain trips.

Result 4244 km in 14 days , 575 where on battery. I did not charge the battery externally, but I used the battery hold function so that it charged it up to 30% while driving so I could use climatize function.

It used 9,9 liter on the trip.. Not that bad I think.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
X5 45e1077.00
volodp193.50
      09-14-2020, 06:52 AM   #5
biterror
Captain
Finland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5 45e View Post
Overal fuel consumption is around 10 l/100 km. So if you can't charge and for a larger trip it is around 5-600 km range. I agree that the indicated range doesn't help at all. But I just know that with a full tank I can do 500-600 km.
Isn't the tank 69 liters so you should be able to do almost 700 km without the battery?
Appreciate 1
X5 45e1077.00
      09-14-2020, 07:33 AM   #6
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by biterror View Post
Quote:
Isn't the tank 69 liters so you should be able to do almost 700 km without the battery?
69 liter is correct. So 700 should be possible.

However, and that is where OP is correct, you never get the exact range left. Or at least you can't trust it 100%. So around 500 km I start looking and around 600 I want to have a gas station. Just to have a safe margin.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2020, 07:34 AM   #7
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhe View Post

I drove to Italy and back, with 4 persons, a lot of baggage and did a lot of mountain trips.

Result 4244 km in 14 days , 575 where on battery. I did not charge the battery externally, but I used the battery hold function so that it charged it up to 30% while driving so I could use climatize function.

Nice numbers ! 👍

I think most of us are around 10 for these kind of trips.

I presume you charged the battery to have pre cooling? Otherwise is doesn't make sense.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2020, 10:26 AM   #8
Sirksael
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

The MyBMW app does display the range for fuel and electricity separately.
At the moment my tank is 100% full and it displays a range of 799km on gas only, which is a tad optimistic but still not too crazy.
Electric range is displayed as 74km in the app, the car displays a combined range of 864km.
So even if the numbers don't add up 100%, it all seems to make sense?
Especially since I have hardly used the ICE at all, I've used 46 litres in 1884km now.
Appreciate 2
biterror511.00
GrussGott18113.00
      09-14-2020, 10:32 AM   #9
biterror
Captain
Finland
Rep

What if you drive a long trip (1000 km, for example) and start with a full battery and fuel tank - is there any display in the car which tells you when you need to fill the gas tank again (in kilometers)? Or does the car think "no problem, he will stop and recharge any minute now, so we can go another 2000 km without filling any gas.."

The fuel gauge tells you something, but...
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2020, 11:01 AM   #10
bhe
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Nice numbers !

I think most of us are around 10 for these kind of trips.

I presume you charged the battery to have pre cooling? Otherwise is doesn't make sense.
yes indeed for the pre cooling..
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2020, 11:03 AM   #11
bhe
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
What if you drive a long trip (1000 km, for example) and start with a full battery and fuel tank - is there any display in the car which tells you when you need to fill the gas tank again (in kilometers)? Or does the car think "no problem, he will stop and recharge any minute now, so we can go another 2000 km without filling any gas.."

The fuel gauge tells you something, but...
there will be a permanent warning when you have less then 90km fuel remaining.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2020, 11:11 AM   #12
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
yes indeed for the pre cooling..
I thought the A/C was also compromised with an empty battery, i.e., the battery powers the a/c so if the 48v battery is low then a/c won't work as well?
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2020, 11:35 AM   #13
biterror
Captain
Finland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
I thought the A/C was also compromised with an empty battery, i.e., the battery powers the a/c so if the 48v battery is low then a/c won't work as well?
There's no 48 V battery on 45e - it's a 354 V battery :-) I would think the car always keeps enough charge in the HV battery to run A/C.
Appreciate 1
GrussGott18113.00
      09-14-2020, 12:13 PM   #14
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirksael View Post
The MyBMW app does display the range for fuel and electricity separately.
At the moment my tank is 100% full and it displays a range of 799km on gas only, which is a tad optimistic but still not too crazy.
Electric range is displayed as 74km in the app, the car displays a combined range of 864km.
So even if the numbers don't add up 100%, it all seems to make sense?
Especially since I have hardly used the ICE at all, I've used 46 litres in 1884km now.
Mine also says around 900 km on fuel only and I have driven mostly electric last month.

Once the battery is depleted on a longer trip it gradually goes down and usually it starts te be more accurate once you have driven a couple of 100 om on ICE.

The range it gives after full charge and with a full tank is based on the mean fuel consumption. My total range goes up during a month of electric only driving because my consumption decreases. This range doesn't day anything.

But at the end it is always around 10l/100 km and 32-33 KWh / 100 km. unless on the Autobahn with 180 km/h.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2020, 12:21 PM   #15
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
There's no 48 V battery on 45e - it's a 354 V battery :-) I would think the car always keeps enough charge in the HV battery to run A/C.
Yes it does indeed. It keeps back up for the electric systems and AC. And charges automatically if it is to low.

If you are below a certain % of HV battery charge it won't pre cool. I don't know how much but 30% is safe and it doesn't take really long to charge while driving. In fact it is much faster than it would be on a charger.
Appreciate 1
GrussGott18113.00
      09-14-2020, 12:23 PM   #16
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:

-it is impossible to see the average fuel consumption of the ICE. It is always calculated based on the total km including electrical. So you never know how much your petrol engine's consumption is.
-For reasons unknown my setting for charging regularly switches back from 16A to 6A. The result is half a charge in the morning.
-why can't we get RPM indications in Sport mode ?
-If you enter a timeframe with cheap electricity (for example 22h-7h) it will not start charging before 22h (which is fine) but will also stop at 7h. So come home late, and the next day your battery will never be fully charged. Extend the time to later in the morning, and your car might start charging after 7h if you had an early drive.

I love the car, but I really have a hard time understanding the logic of those German Engineers...(like the camera's only recording max 20 sec of video before and after an accident or push of the button...waaaay to short)

Anyone else having those frustrations ?
Rpm in sport
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-14-2020, 03:03 PM   #17
Eu001939
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

That's your average consumption including electrical km. Not ICE only
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2020, 03:12 PM   #18
Eu001939
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Electric range on the highway is around 60 km. So those are what you can expect when you leave for a longer trip with full tank and battery. In Germany at 200 km/h it will be different

The fuel tank is smaller indeed. But 5-600 km before a stop on a road trip should be ok.

Last time I took fuel is 6 weeks ago. I only have to when visiting family or on holidays.

Switching to 6A is annoying indeed. I hope they can solve it with next update. I always check when my battery is really low if it is on 6 or 10A because on 6 it can't fully charge overnight.

If you program for the cheap charging hours, you get the cheap charging hours and that will overrule the not fully charged battery. But if you plug in around for example at 19 when you get home you only have 3 expensive hours and the rest is cheaper anyway. So I never program for cheap energy hours. Or you can make it start at 22h and stop at 9 when you will have unplugged anyway.

There are some things getting used to, some things that could be better. But frustrating, there are more important things in life to be frustrated about 😜.
Mine is more towards 12l /100 km on ICE ONLY. And no, I don't drive aggresively or pull up at full power.

I am already curious to see what the ski holidays will bring: 4 people, full trunk and roof rack with ski roof box , doing 160-180 km/h on the German freeway (yes, it's legal, and you still get passed by faster cars every 30 sec... )

Pretty sure I will have to stop every 400 km for fuel. My F15 3.0l diesel would do 800 km...

Well, that's if Covid-19 doesn't spoil the ski holidays as well...
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2020, 03:17 PM   #19
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Mine is more towards 12l /100 km on ICE ONLY. And no, I don't drive aggresively or pull up at full power.

I am already curious to see what the ski holidays will bring: 4 people, full trunk and roof rack with ski roof box , doing 160-180 km/h on the German freeway (yes, it's legal, and you still get passed by faster cars every 30 sec... )

Pretty sure I will have to stop every 400 km for fuel. My F15 3.0l diesel would do 800 km...

I am also from Belgium so I know about Autobahn driving to wintersport 😜.

12 l/100 km is quite a lot, I think most of us are around 10. But it wil be worse if you do 180 in Germany indeed.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2020, 03:18 PM   #20
Eu001939
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

That's your average consumption including electrical km. Not ICE only. So in reality you used 420 l of fuel on on 3670 km, or close to 11,5 l per 100 km
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2020, 03:21 PM   #21
Eu001939
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I am also from Belgium so I know about Autobahn driving to wintersport 😜.

12 l/100 km is quite a lot, I think most of us are around 10. But it wil be worse if you do 180 in Germany indeed.
Seems like it's only Belgians driving 45e 😀😉

That's the result of being world champions in taxes !

At least we are numero uno in something....😎
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2020, 03:24 PM   #22
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

He didn't charge on his trip. So the full charge when leaving home will have given him 50-60 km. So his 9,9 l/ km is quite accurate for the trip.

The rest is done on the ICE or electric that was charged on the ICE which is less economic and charging on downhill drives.

On my trip to the mountains this summer long downhill roads added a lot to total electric km driven. The trip downhill itself was 30 electric driven km but just regenerating and when down you have gained 50% of battery charge that will take you 25-30 km on electric only. So total of 60 electric km driven registered on your BC without charging.
Appreciate 0