Eu001939
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5 30d MSport and X3 20d

Quote:
Originally Posted by biterror View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
I thought the A/C was also compromised with an empty battery, i.e., the battery powers the a/c so if the 48v battery is low then a/c won't work as well?
There's no 48 V battery on 45e - it's a 354 V battery :-) I would think the car always keeps enough charge in the HV battery to run A/C.
Isn't the AC running on one of the 3 other, non high voltage batteries ?
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2020, 03:31 PM   #24
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eu001939 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by X5 45e View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Overal fuel consumption is around 10 l/100 km. So if you can't charge and for a larger trip it is around 5-600 km range. I agree that the indicated range doesn't help at all. But I just know that with a full tank I can do 500-600 km.
Electric range on the highway is around 60 km. So those are what you can expect when you leave for a longer trip with full tank and battery. In Germany at 200 km/h it will be different

I think 10 l/ 100 km is not too bad, it is a heavy car and it is not a diesel.

The fuel tank is smaller indeed. But 5-600 km before a stop on a road trip should be ok.

Last time I took fuel is 6 weeks ago. I only have to when visiting family or on holidays.

Switching to 6A is annoying indeed. I hope they can solve it with next update. I always check when my battery is really low if it is on 6 or 10A because on 6 it can't fully charge overnight.

If you program for the cheap charging hours, you get the cheap charging hours and that will overrule the not fully charged battery. But if you plug in around for example at 19 when you get home you only have 3 expensive hours and the rest is cheaper anyway. So I never program for cheap energy hours. Or you can make it start at 22h and stop at 9 when you will have unplugged anyway.

You can get RPM in sport mode.

There are some things getting used to, some things that could be better. But frustrating, there are more important things in life to be frustrated about 😜.
Mine is more towards 12l /100 km on ICE ONLY. And no, I don't drive aggresively or pull up at full power.

I am already curious to see what the ski holidays will bring: 4 people, full trunk and roof rack with ski roof box , doing 160-180 km/h on the German freeway (yes, it's legal, and you still get passed by faster cars every 30 sec... )

Pretty sure I will have to stop every 400 km for fuel. My F15 3.0l diesel would do 800 km...

Well, that's if Covid-19 doesn't spoil the ski holidays as well...
I am also from Belgium so I know about Autobahn driving to wintersport 😜.

12 l/100 km is quite a lot, I think most of us are around 10. But it wil be worse if you do 180 in Germany indeed.
Seems like it's only Belgians driving 45e 😀😉

That's the result of being world champions in taxes !

At least we are numero uno in something....😎
We also have the longest time without government!

I think French and German owners are posting on fora in their own language so there is some bias. But a lot of 45e's have been sold in Belgium. I hardly saw any g05 last year and now they are everywhere and all 45e.

The X5 is the only 6 cylinder that is fiscally interesting for us now.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2020, 03:33 PM   #25
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I thought the A/C was also compromised with an empty battery, i.e., the battery powers the a/c so if the 48v battery is low then a/c won't work as well?
There's no 48 V battery on 45e - it's a 354 V battery :-) I would think the car always keeps enough charge in the HV battery to run A/C.
I don't know how it is connected to the electric system. It needs the HV battery anyway. Directly or for charging a 12V battery. And probably the AC is not connected to the HV battery directly now that I think of it.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2020, 02:08 AM   #26
biterror
Captain
Finland
Rep
Drives: X5 45e 2021

Quote:
Not sure, can't find the info. The AC compressor needs a lot of power (probably over one kilowatt), so it would take 100 amps at 12 V.. almost like running the starter motor constantly on a 12 V battery.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2020, 01:53 AM   #27
biterror
Captain
Finland
Rep
Drives: X5 45e 2021

The manual (yes, I admit it - I have been reading the manual but that's only because I don't have my car yet!) says under "Auto start stop function, coasting": "Comfort functions such as automatic air conditioning are still supplied by the high-voltage battery and may remain switched on."
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2020, 04:04 AM   #28
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
"Comfort functions such as automatic air conditioning are still supplied by the high-voltage battery and may remain switched on."
Yeah, the manual definitely seems to say the A/C is run off of the high-voltage battery (and is used to cool it!):

and

Appreciate 0
      09-16-2020, 05:39 AM   #29
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
"Comfort functions such as automatic air conditioning are still supplied by the high-voltage battery and may remain switched on."
Yeah, the manual definitely seems to say the A/C is run off of the high-voltage battery (and is used to cool it!):

[IMG]
View post on imgur.com
[/IMG]

and

[IMG]
View post on imgur.com
[/IMG]
Interesting info thx for sharing ! I have been searching to but didn't come as far is you did.

But still it is not clear to me how the AC system is connected. Unless the numbers 7-11 stand for electric lines/ systems. But the description is on the next page I think.

The AC definitely needs the power of the HV battery but I don't know if it is connected directly or the HV charges another battery.

The drawing shows the pressure lines to the HV but those are for cooling the HV battery unit if I am correct?
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2020, 02:36 PM   #30
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
The drawing shows the pressure lines to the HV but those are for cooling the HV battery unit if I am correct?
Yes, that's how I read it - here are the following pages that more detail the cooling circuit:

The electrical connection for the EKK (#1 below) appears to be purely via high-voltage battery, but I could be misinterpreting it:

Appreciate 0