09-21-2020, 03:44 PM   #1
13 NF
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 G05 50e

New x5 M50d The last of the DIESELs

Hi
Finally made my decision on my new car, had F15 50D before.
I was concerned over the termination of this engine, but I got over this.
My car is well loaded
Vis Pack
Comfort Pack
Tech Pack
Intergal Active Steering
2 axle sus
Tow bar
7 seats
Sky Lounge
Sun Pro

Only done 300 miles in it but seem a real step up in many ways, the tech needs real understanding over F15.

Have to say the F15 was a great car, and felt quick, this with all air suspension feels not as planted, but because I tow, its a no brainer to have the air suspension.

Thinking of chipping 486 BHP AND 880 nm torque, can i have you experiences and issues please, i am in the UK

Also thinking of clear wrap, will it damage the paint when i remove it to sell in 3 years.

Unsure this car is a keeper with that engine, it could be a nightmare out of warranty!

Advice please on my ideas

Attached a pic
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
GOLFFRR10801.50
SpeedN866.00
      09-21-2020, 04:05 PM   #2
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

nice build, congrats on the new ride. Enjoy

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2020, 04:34 PM   #3
EUPremier
Private
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50d

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13 NF View Post
Hi
My car is well loaded
Vis Pack
Comfort Pack
Tech Pack
Intergal Active Steering
2 axle sus
Tow bar
7 seats
Sky Lounge
Sun Pro

Only done 300 miles in it but seem a real step up in many ways, the tech needs real understanding over F15.

Have to say the F15 was a great car, and felt quick, this with all air suspension feels not as planted, but because I tow, its a no brainer to have the air suspension.

Thinking of chipping 486 BHP AND 880 nm torque, can i have you experiences and issues please, i am in the UK

Also thinking of clear wrap, will it damage the paint when i remove it to sell in 3 years.

Unsure this car is a keeper with that engine, it could be a nightmare out of warranty!

Attached a pic
I wouldn't stress unduly about the warrantee. You can always extend it and I assume you're not planning on keeping it forever?

Besides, I drove a Tesla last week. I can honestly say I hated it. Alas, the days of ICE cars are numbered so be glad you have the opportunity to enjoy such a beastie in its prime. You'll have fond memories long after you've forgotten how much it cost.

I chipped and DPF-deleted my E60 535d and the difference was incredible. There's obviously a huge temptation to unleash the potential of the M50D but I don't think I'd do it under warrantee. And I certainly wouldn't do it until you've let several guinea pigs go before you and risk their ECUs first.

I too would like to put something on the front-end, at least, to protect the body from stone chips etc. Most wraps are removeable but the adhesive is the issue. Be sure to use a quality brand with a 3M (or similar quality) adherence system that's guaranteed to wash of easily after x years under the sun.

If you find a good one, do share!
2019 G05 X5 M50D, 2016 F36 430d, 2012 F10 520d, 2006 E60 M5, 2005 E60 530D
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2020, 03:32 AM   #4
13 NF
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EUPremier View Post
Quote:
Hi
My car is well loaded
Vis Pack
Comfort Pack
Tech Pack
Intergal Active Steering
2 axle sus
Tow bar
7 seats
Sky Lounge
Sun Pro

Attached a pic
I wouldn't stress unduly about the warrantee. You can always extend it and I assume you're not planning on keeping it forever?

Besides, I drove a Tesla last week. I can honestly say I hated it. Alas, the days of ICE cars are numbered so be glad you have the opportunity to enjoy such a beastie in its prime. You'll have fond memories long after you've forgotten how much it cost.

I chipped and DPF-deleted my E60 535d and the difference was incredible. There's obviously a huge temptation to unleash the potential of the M50D but I don't think I'd do it under warrantee. And I certainly wouldn't do it until you've let several guinea pigs go before you and risk their ECUs first.

I too would like to put something on the front-end, at least, to protect the body from stone chips etc. Most wraps are removeable but the adhesive is the issue. Be sure to use a quality brand with a 3M (or similar quality) adherence system that's guaranteed to wash of easily after x years under the sun.

Thanks for advice.
I think I agree with you on the ECU, I suspect any issues with software will be picked up, even if it's removed.
I found a place in Preston called Wraps&Tints, they use XPEL Ultimate/Steath, I am worried that whilst I try to protect the paint, the actual damage could be done by the film!
Thanks again
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2020, 06:26 AM   #5
EUPremier
Private
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50d

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Hi
My car is well loaded
Vis Pack
Comfort Pack
Tech Pack
Intergal Active Steering
2 axle sus
Tow bar
7 seats
Sky Lounge
Sun Pro

Attached a pic

Thanks for advice.
I think I agree with you on the ECU, I suspect any issues with software will be picked up, even if it's removed.
I found a place in Preston called Wraps&Tints, they use XPEL Ultimate/Steath, I am worried that whilst I try to protect the paint, the actual damage could be done by the film!
Thanks again
I wouldn't be so concerned about discovery if removed. These are software-only mods, no physical changes are made.
The process I went through was:
Received an OBD scan tool.
Used tool to download 'image' of current ECU configuration. This was saved to the tool.
Connect tool to my PC using USB & download proprietary file.
Send file to supplier via email.
Supplier runs config in their master system and tweaks settings with two flavours: Max power and more fuel consumption, More power & less fuel consumption.
(Surprise, surprise, I never used the latter!)
They send you back, via email, a new file.
You reverse the process and save the files to the OBD tool.
You can then connect the OBD device to the vehicle again, choose which 'mode' you want and send it to the vehicle.
Worryingly, you get flashing indicators, dash lights etc during the process but, everything settles down, the job completes and, after a 'Hail Mary...' try to start it.
Mine cane to life and was an absolute animal.

Other than the risk of the ECU being fried (lol), there's no reason you couldn't repeat the process but, this time, feed back in the original file -I doubt there's a flashy light to warn mechs that the ECU was written-to. If there is, one would probably want to be forensically looking for it -and possibly only given-away by the time/date not coinciding with/ preceding its factory build date.

Paint protection:

I just rang Carstyle in Dublin. They're charging €1600 for a protective 'self healing' wrap to (front only) including bonnet, bumper, wheel arches & headlights using a pre-cut system from Premium Shield.
Seems crazy money... you'd nearly get a re-spray for that! Info on actual material here: https://premiumshield.com
There're obviously lots of crazy people in Ireland though, at time of writing Sept 22, they can't fit me in until the second-week of November!
2019 G05 X5 M50D, 2016 F36 430d, 2012 F10 520d, 2006 E60 M5, 2005 E60 530D
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2020, 07:02 AM   #6
sjak92
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G05 30d MY24 + G20 M340i MY24

The OBD method will not work on a G05. The OBD is locked and whilst you can read files, you cannot write.

The only way of doing things is ECU out on bench mode, although this does not require opening the ECU itself, just cables plugged into the pins.

These engines have been remapped for a good five years now with this B57 first appearing in the 2015 7 series. There are plenty of guinea pigs already.

A remapped 30d is rapid, a 50d must be bonkers
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2020, 12:20 PM   #7
13 NF
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjak92 View Post
The OBD method will not work on a G05. The OBD is locked and whilst you can read files, you cannot write.

The only way of doing things is ECU out on bench mode, although this does not require opening the ECU itself, just cables plugged into the pins.

These engines have been remapped for a good five years now with this B57 first appearing in the 2015 7 series. There are plenty of guinea pigs already.

A remapped 30d is rapid, a 50d must be bonkers
Sounds great advice thank you👍
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2020, 12:22 PM   #8
13 NF
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Hi
My car is well loaded
Vis Pack
Comfort Pack
Tech Pack
Intergal Active Steering
2 axle sus
Tow bar
7 seats
Sky Lounge
Sun Pro

Attached a pic

Thanks for advice.
Thanks again
I wouldn't be so concerned about discovery if removed. These are software-only mods, no physical changes are made.
The process I went through was:
Received an OBD scan tool.
Used tool to download 'image' of current ECU configuration. This was saved to the tool.
Connect tool to my PC using USB & download proprietary file.
Send file to supplier via email.
Supplier runs config in their master system and tweaks settings with two flavours: Max power and more fuel consumption, More power & less fuel consumption.
(Surprise, surprise, I never used the latter!)
They send you back, via email, a new file.
You reverse the process and save the files to the OBD tool.
You can then connect the OBD device to the vehicle again, choose which 'mode' you want and send it to the vehicle.
Worryingly, you get flashing indicators, dash lights etc during the process but, everything settles down, the job completes and, after a 'Hail Mary...' try to start it.
Mine cane to life and was an absolute animal.

Other than the risk of the ECU being fried (lol), there's no reason you couldn't repeat the process but, this time, feed back in the original file -I doubt there's a flashy light to warn mechs that the ECU was written-to. If there is, one would probably want to be forensically looking for it -and possibly only given-away by the time/date not coinciding with/ preceding its factory build date.

Paint protection:

I just rang Carstyle in Dublin. They're charging €1600 for a protective 'self healing' wrap to (front only) including bonnet, bumper, wheel arches & headlights using a pre-cut system from Premium Shield.
Seems crazy money... you'd nearly get a re-spray for that! Info on actual material here: https://premiumshield.com
There're obviously lots of crazy people in Ireland though, at time of writing Sept 22, they can't fit me in until the second-week of November!
Thanks EU, it's a good point on the film, I been quoted £1900
Appreciate 0