BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

10-26-2020, 07:30 AM   #1
DENtoLAS
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i

Any tall drivers?

Any other tall drivers in currently in the X5 and how has it worked long term?

I'm about 6'6 and fit well in the X5. I am considering the X7 because it has about 1" extra of headroom - it would be about an extra $10k.

Is it a waste of money to go to the X7 just to get more headroom. I don't need a third row at all.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2020, 07:53 AM   #2
iconoclast
Self-Deprecating Narcissist
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Audi BMW Ferrari LR MB

I am just about as tall as you and have both. The front headroom is negligible and I barely notice the difference but I have my seat in the lowest possible setting as well. You should sit in both back to back and decide for yourself what it feels like. We do not have a need for a third row except on a few occasions but purchased it because of the cargo capacity and the ability to toss snowboards and surfboards down the center between the Captain's chairs. Downside being those chairs do not fold down but bench seats do.
Appreciate 1
      10-26-2020, 08:32 AM   #3
luckylingy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: X3M

I'm 6'6" and drive an X5 with the comfort/luxury seat option. Like iconoclast, I set my seat at its lowest setting, tilt the front of the seat bottom toits highest setting, and extend the leg bolster outward. I keep two fingers' clearance between my scalp and headliner when adjusting backrest angle. Very comfortable seating position for either short jaunts or long hauls.

I've driven X7s plenty of times for 2-3 hours at a time, and haven't honestly noticed any extra front passenger room. If it exists, I haven't appreciated any benefits to driving position or comfort one my X5.
Appreciate 2
iconoclast7260.00
      10-26-2020, 10:08 AM   #4
UpstateCP
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 x40i M Sport

6'5" here and on my second X5, F15 and now G05. Love how it fits. I have the merino multi-contour seating, non-ventilated non-massage and like the others have the seat at its lowest setting, front thigh support tilted up and extended. I had a loaner with the standard Sensatec seating and it appeared to sit lower but no complaints at all with my merino multi-contour. Plenty of headroom.
Appreciate 1
iconoclast7260.00
      10-26-2020, 12:18 PM   #5
G Whizz UK
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G05 30dMSport

I'm 6'5" and one of the reasons I chose the X5 was that it fitted me better than just about any other car! I don't think I'm on the lowest setting but have plenty of headroom. I love the fact that the headrest is actually tall enough as well - a novelty!

One thing I will say and you'll see various threads on this, is that it can take a little time to get the perfect seat position, especially if you're taller. I'm more tipped back than I have been in other cars so one thing to do might be look at the relative legroom in the seat behind you. My 6' daughters are happy enough but not sure you'd want to go much taller on long runs.
Appreciate 1
      10-26-2020, 01:29 PM   #6
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

6'4'' the X5 fits well. But compared to the others I am a shorty.

Same seat position as mentioned by others.

I had a f11 a g32 and a f15 before. I had some more difficulties finding a comfortable position in both X5's. But at the end I found it.

The seat in the other two could go lower and tilted backwards more while going down.
Appreciate 1
      10-26-2020, 01:49 PM   #7
whtbst
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 xDrive40i

I’m 6’5” with Sensatec and have pretty good head room (two stacked fingers worth). My seat is fully bottomed out, leaned back a bit, and positioned back quite a bit. With this seating position it’s tight for someone my same size in the second row, but fine for anyone smaller (still wish the second row had more room for this reason however). I also love the front leg room (knee and foot) — it’s quite roomy to move around. My one and only gripe is that I have super broad shoulders, so my left tricep rubs the edge of the B-pillar. It’s not terrible but just ‘feeling it’ makes me feel a little claustrophobic at times — wish I had a little more breathing room for the B-pillar. Otherwise I think the X5 is a pretty suitable vehicle for tall people.
Appreciate 1
      10-26-2020, 02:01 PM   #8
DENtoLAS
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtbst View Post
I’m 6’5” with Sensatec and have pretty good head room (two stacked fingers worth). My seat is fully bottomed out, leaned back a bit, and positioned back quite a bit. With this seating position it’s tight for someone my same size in the second row, but fine for anyone smaller (still wish the second row had more room for this reason however). I also love the front leg room (knee and foot) — it’s quite roomy to move around. My one and only gripe is that I have super broad shoulders, so my left tricep rubs the edge of the B-pillar. It’s not terrible but just ‘feeling it’ makes me feel a little claustrophobic at times — wish I had a little more breathing room for the B-pillar. Otherwise I think the X5 is a pretty suitable vehicle for tall people.
The is my biggest issue with the car when I drove it - the B-Pillar. Some cars make a smooth carve out in that section, for example the GV 80 - take a look at the attached picture

Appreciate 0
      10-27-2020, 02:38 AM   #9
Sirksael
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

Having only been in the X7 in a showroom, my experience is limited, but I did not notice any difference at all in headroom. (I also am "only" 6'2")
A major difference however is legroom for rear passenger. Setting my seat in the correct position for my legs, there is not all that much room left behind me, certainly not what one would expect from a large SUV. That is a lot better in the X7.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2020, 08:18 AM   #10
iconoclast
Self-Deprecating Narcissist
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Audi BMW Ferrari LR MB

It is better in the X7 with the bench seating. The X7 has less rear legroom with the Captain's chairs. If I recall correctly it was nearly 2" less.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2020, 01:22 AM   #11
bigmak76
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 X5 M50I

6'5", stocky build with short legs (32" pant inseam) and long torso and love how I fit in my M50i. I test drove the X7 and didn't notice any real difference as far as sizing is concerned, which is why I went with the X5. Like other folks have said, I was pleasantly surprised on how well I fit. Even on long trips I'm good. Also got my seat super low and leaned back, but that's how it is with any vehicle I drive. Did take me a bit to get comfy tho. Of all things, I found the thigh support, or whatever it's called, needed some adjustment. And ya, like someone said, having a headrest that fits, and is super adjustable, is cool.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2023, 01:14 PM   #12
Az9393
Rep
Drives: BMW X6M F86, BMW 650i E63

Quote:
Originally Posted by DENtoLAS View Post
Any other tall drivers in currently in the X5 and how has it worked long term?

I'm about 6'6 and fit well in the X5. I am considering the X7 because it has about 1" extra of headroom - it would be about an extra $10k.

Is it a waste of money to go to the X7 just to get more headroom. I don't need a third row at all.
6”2 or 3 105kg (230lbs) with incredibly long legs. I have an x6m and one of my company cars is an x7.

Honestly the difference in the x7 isn’t just an inch in headroom (vs x5). It’s a whole different class of car and you’ll feel it every time. The whole x7 experience is spot on IMO. Especially for a bigger guy. I can’t say this about the x5 or the x6.

Give it a test drive and I’m sure you’ll be sold on it.
Appreciate 0