BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-13-2023, 10:48 PM   #45
TRICKsystems
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X6 M50i

The only brand of windshield I could recommend for the X5/X6 Platform are Carlex and Fuyao as they are the OEM brands for this model.

I own a windshield company here in Canada and work on BMW / Land Rover / Benz everyday.

Pilkington was once a reputable name is absolute junk nowadays we have to consistantly warranty this brand. It is outsourced most of the time to Mexico, and China for there off brand TriVal.

The recalibration of the lane departure system on BMW is simple as it is set in to a learn mode on the KAFAS Camera and then taken for a short drive on average it takes 3-5 Kilometers.
Appreciate 2
      11-14-2023, 06:09 AM   #46
AGONXF30
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i S-Line/Melbourne Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRICKsystems View Post
The only brand of windshield I could recommend for the X5/X6 Platform are Carlex and Fuyao as they are the OEM brands for this model.

I own a windshield company here in Canada and work on BMW / Land Rover / Benz everyday.

Pilkington was once a reputable name is absolute junk nowadays we have to consistantly warranty this brand. It is outsourced most of the time to Mexico, and China for there off brand TriVal.

The recalibration of the lane departure system on BMW is simple as it is set in to a learn mode on the KAFAS Camera and then taken for a short drive on average it takes 3-5 Kilometers.
I was thinking that if I went with an off-brand (No BMW on the windscreen) FUYAO (What my car currently has, but with the BMW logo on the top) it would not be an issue since its the OEM supplier and BMW is known to jack their prices way up high just because the part has the logo. One prime (Not amazon) example is the A/C compressors made by Denso in most cases. The Denso with not BMW logo is around 550 bucks, the one with a BMW logo is 2000 bucks.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2023, 07:25 AM   #47
Mixitt
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 X40i; 2021 Z4 30i

Rock hit the top, crack ran straight down about 8". A total of $595 later, got this one. Price included on site service at my house, a 40 mile drive for the company.

They recalibrated last night at my home, haven't driven it yet but the company said things are fine. There was some kind of rain pad (windshield sensor?) that was needed and is not included with the glass which they installed.
Attached Images

Last edited by Mixitt; 11-15-2023 at 09:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2023, 09:14 AM   #48
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixitt View Post
Rock hit the top, crack ran straight down about 8". A total of $595 later, got this one. Price included on site service at my house, a 40 mile drive for the company.

They recalibrated last night at my home, haven't drive it yet but the company said things are fine. There was some kind of rain pad (windshield sensor?) that was needed and is not included with the glass which they installed.
Yes, the gel pack should be replaced with the windshield but many times they just reuse the old one. That often results in creases/bubbles that will cause the malfunction you see. It happened to me about 4 months after Safelite replaced one of mine. Thankfully my dealer only charged me for the gel pack and shop foreman did the install and calibrated the system for free.

While for the most part Safelite has done a good on my windshields, I'm only taking them to the dealer from now on even if it costs me something.
Mixitt372.00
      11-15-2023, 11:22 AM   #49
TRICKsystems
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGONXF30 View Post
I was thinking that if I went with an off-brand (No BMW on the windscreen) FUYAO (What my car currently has, but with the BMW logo on the top) it would not be an issue since its the OEM supplier and BMW is known to jack their prices way up high just because the part has the logo. One prime (Not amazon) example is the A/C compressors made by Denso in most cases. The Denso with not BMW logo is around 550 bucks, the one with a BMW logo is 2000 bucks.

Yeah you should be fine we have tested it hundreds of times and the clarity is fine with FUYAO just because it does not have the logo does not mean that the HUD application is any cheaper material .

In most cases shops will have an easier time warranting a piece of glass from a supplier than the OEM from dealer. We have had numerous cases where OEM glass is defective and BMW has refused to warranty the piece because it was installed and inspected before installation. The issue is that us installers are unable to see every single thing in the glass until it is in the vehicle at the right angle and in the direct sunlight .

My opinion on this is if you have insurance that is willing to replace with OEM go ahead and use it no reason not to but do not pay any extra cash to get the OEM unless you are attached to the logo. The glass will break again and its a loss.
Appreciate 1
Mixitt372.00
      11-19-2023, 05:03 PM   #50
bvreddy75
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 2020

Will Safelite have the right tools to do the proper calibration, etc.? Facing the same situation, I need to replace the windshield for my 2020 X5. Safelite quoted around $1500 for non-OEM glass with calibration, but the BMW dealer said Safelite may not have the tools and expertise to do it correctly and quoted ~$3700. Unfortunately, my comprehensive is a $1000 deductible and insurance (Liberty Mutual) is going to cover only about $200-300. I was thinking of going with Safelite but seeing other's experience here, I'm afraid of them messing up the car.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2023, 06:15 PM   #51
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvreddy75 View Post
Will Safelite have the right tools to do the proper calibration, etc.? Facing the same situation, I need to replace the windshield for my 2020 X5. Safelite quoted around $1500 for non-OEM glass with calibration, but the BMW dealer said Safelite may not have the tools and expertise to do it correctly and quoted ~$3700. Unfortunately, my comprehensive is a $1000 deductible and insurance (Liberty Mutual) is going to cover only about $200-300. I was thinking of going with Safelite but seeing other's experience here, I'm afraid of them messing up the car.
Welcome to the forum. Yes, Safelite can perform the calibration.
      11-19-2023, 08:50 PM   #52
Baltifrank
Rep
Drives: BMW 2019 X5

I have been in the auto repair business most of my life. My 2019 X5 needs a new windshield and Geico doesn't want to pay for anything other than Safelite.

I-Car is the certification organization for the collision repair industry. They offer a lot of training and certifications for the industry. They are heavily supported by the car manufactures as well as the insurance industry. Every Geico auto appraiser has to complete the I-Car certification process. Geico as well as the other insurers provide a lot of funding for I-Car.

I-Car has a position on aftermarket glass in high tech cars. They say don't use non-OEM glass. Here are links to a couple of videos:

https://rts.i-car.com/oem-glass-replacement.html
https://rts.i-car.com/collision-repa...s/crn-467.html

I am going to have the windshield replaced by a BMW dealership with the OEM Glass. Then submit it to Geico. If the only partial pay I will sue for the difference in small claims court. I had to do this with GM a couple of years ago. In Maryland you take the correspondence and other documentation to the local courthouse. It costs $45 and works up to 5K. They will help you fill out the form. Geico will file a motion that they are going to go to court. Then you get a court date. Two weeks before the trial a lawyer calls and offers to send a check and you say OK. Easier and a lot more effective than fighting with Geico.
Appreciate 1
Tejas1836999.00
      12-03-2023, 03:04 PM   #53
Baltifrank
Rep
Drives: BMW 2019 X5

Rest of the story

I wanted to find out what the up charge was for an OEM windshield from Safelite. To my surprise, the rep said that the Safelite windshield was not available. They said they would use the BMW glass with no additional charge to me. I took it in and they did indeed replace the broken windshield with a BMW glass. They also re-calibrated the camera. Very happy to report that everything works. Heads-up is clear and bright and no marks or scratches anywhere. Driver assist Pro also works the same as before. I waited for the repair and it took a little over 2 hours total.

Safelite charged Geico $1625 for the windshield which is BMW list, less 15%. $212 labor for windshield and $194 for the recalibration. Along with misc supplies the total was $2198. My deductible was $50 instead of $500 because I have the extended warranty though Geico.

Local BMW dealership quoted $3240.

Pleasantly surprised !!
Appreciate 1
thereef5101167.50
      12-04-2023, 07:22 PM   #54
AGONXF30
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yeah you should be fine we have tested it hundreds of times and the clarity is fine with FUYAO just because it does not have the logo does not mean that the HUD application is any cheaper material .

In most cases shops will have an easier time warranting a piece of glass from a supplier than the OEM from dealer. We have had numerous cases where OEM glass is defective and BMW has refused to warranty the piece because it was installed and inspected before installation. The issue is that us installers are unable to see every single thing in the glass until it is in the vehicle at the right angle and in the direct sunlight .

My opinion on this is if you have insurance that is willing to replace with OEM go ahead and use it no reason not to but do not pay any extra cash to get the OEM unless you are attached to the logo. The glass will break again and its a loss.
They came in put a Pilkington (sp?) and the hud looks like I have the drunken glasses on. Another curious thing is that Safelite removed the two strips of foam (low desinsity) with the OEM windshield, but they claim they never put them back on. Didn’t really notice extra noice, but BMW surely put that there for reason. The insurance is going to cover the OEM now. I wish they had listened to me on this and had done it once. Are these foam strips elemental?
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2023, 07:32 PM   #55
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
They came in put a Pilkington (sp?) and the hud looks like I have the drunken glasses on. Another curious thing is that Safelite removed the two strips of foam (low desinsity) with the OEM windshield, but they claim they never put them back on. Didn’t really notice extra noice, but BMW surely put that there for reason. The insurance is going to cover the OEM now. I wish they had listened to me on this and had done it once. Are these foam strips elemental?
Yes, many folks have had trouble with Pilkington and the HUD. Actually I don't remember hearing about a successful one. That is what they put in on my M340i (didn't know until that I go too the install that they would not be using OEM as the always had on my X5) and it was very blurry. Decided to just go with it and when I got my tint installed it sharpened it up to the point it was useable.
      12-05-2023, 09:19 AM   #56
TRICKsystems
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Most installers will not reinstall the FOAM at the bottom of the windshield as its usually not paid for by the insurance companies.

That said it will not cause any more noise and or issue.

Pilkington has been in a rough spot now for about two years and was once known and it still in known as one the good suppliers but I warranty that junk all the time. Our suppliers have dropped pilkington.

I think the only exception last week was an X3 we installed a VITRO as FUYAO was not available HUD was clear no imaging issues.

Fuyao is OEM and is the only glass I can honestly recommend as we use it on every single BMW.

Last edited by TRICKsystems; 12-05-2023 at 09:21 AM.. Reason: addition
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2023, 07:53 AM   #57
AGONXF30
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Most installers will not reinstall the FOAM at the bottom of the windshield as its usually not paid for by the insurance companies.

That said it will not cause any more noise and or issue.

Pilkington has been in a rough spot now for about two years and was once known and it still in known as one the good suppliers but I warranty that junk all the time. Our suppliers have dropped pilkington.

I think the only exception last week was an X3 we installed a VITRO as FUYAO was not available HUD was clear no imaging issues.

Fuyao is OEM and is the only glass I can honestly recommend as we use it on every single BMW.
I notice no noise differences truly without the foam strips.

Pilkington is actually OEM on quite a few BMWs. My F30 has OEM Pilkington, so I am not sure why there is an issue with them at this time.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2023, 05:04 PM   #58
Jlewisinsyr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 23 MINI Cooper Convertible S

Quote:
Had the same issue with Safelite not installing the foam after installed a non-OEM and then OEM and there was a clear extra noise. Fortunately (debatable) a rock broke my windshield again and I went straight to BMW this time. They laughed at the poor quality install from Safelite and said the missing foam definitely needs to be replaced and my insurance company paid for it.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2023, 09:36 AM   #59
David3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E21 (x2), E46, F15, G05 LCI

Late to conversation, but I let the BMW dealer replace the windshield on my '24 50e (had it 8 days). The cost was around $3k. Dealer claims they did the work in house which I preferred as I do not trust Safelite.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2023, 07:31 PM   #60
AGONXF30
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlewisinsyr View Post
Had the same issue with Safelite not installing the foam after installed a non-OEM and then OEM and there was a clear extra noise. Fortunately (debatable) a rock broke my windshield again and I went straight to BMW this time. They laughed at the poor quality install from Safelite and said the missing foam definitely needs to be replaced and my insurance company paid for it.
I honestly didn’t notice extra noise, and my car has acoustic glass (option) and its driven at highway speeds often. I am pretty sensitive to the noise. I did find it odd since its two solid stripes of foam.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2024, 11:30 AM   #61
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3m40i

Joining the cracked windshield club this morning, I am in New York, I have Advanced Driver Assist or Driver Assist Pro and HUD, so I am not sure if safelite can handle everything in one visit. Is there any advantage of using safelite instead of dealer?

It's not a star/web shape rather two lines, one long and one short like upside down V, another small crack extending up. Point of impact is right under the area where windshield meets the roof, the black covered area. I don't think it can be filled.

My insurance shows I have full glass coverage. Should I just take it to dealership?
      01-25-2024, 01:14 PM   #62
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyde View Post
Joining the cracked windshield club this morning, I am in New York, I have Advanced Driver Assist or Driver Assist Pro and HUD, so I am not sure if safelite can handle everything in one visit. Is there any advantage of using safelite instead of dealer?

It's not a star/web shape rather two lines, one long and one short like upside down V, another small crack extending up. Point of impact is right under the area where windshield meets the roof, the black covered area. I don't think it can be filled.

My insurance shows I have full glass coverage. Should I just take it to dealership?
The advantage can cost. Many insurances will not cover OEM or having the dealership do the windshield. They will give you the amount equal to what it will cost at Safelite and then you will have to pay the rest. Check with your insurance to see how they handle things.

Safelite can handle all of the calibration that is required.
      01-25-2024, 07:10 PM   #63
GerryC
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 M40i, BMW X5x40i

Garage List
Quote:
I notice no noise differences truly without the foam strips.

Pilkington is actually OEM on quite a few BMWs. My F30 has OEM Pilkington, so I am not sure why there is an issue with them at this time.
I had an F30 for 5 years. Had five replacement windshields in that time. First 2 replacements were BMW/Pilkington from a BMW dealer. After that I just got the Pilkington that insurance called for.

Not sure why, but that car just went through windshields. I suspect the glass quality. I had a few chips repaired along the way, but the rest were just small chips that almost immediately propagated into a huge crack. Never had that issue with any other car.
      01-25-2024, 07:32 PM   #64
GerryC
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Just had the windshield replaced on my 2022 G05. A stone put a big bullseye chip near the bottom of the windshield (just missed the hood) and it was too close to the edge for a repair.

I went with a local family-owned shop. A small shop, but 1000% better service than the local Safelite. Fortunately, they are a "Safelite service partner" so my insurance (USAA, which outsourced glass claims to Safelite) will authorize them to do the work.

I didn't ask about the glass ahead of time. When I saw the actual windshield it was BMW/Fuyao glass. When I mentioned it to the tech, he said the insurance was authorizing OE glass on most cars with the advanced camera systems and HUDs. Just too many issues with the aftermarket glass. The systems wouldn't calibrate or the HUD was distorted and they end up replacing the replacement with the OE in the end anyway.

Anyway, I'm happy with the result.
tooloud10780.00
      01-25-2024, 07:52 PM   #65
AGONXF30
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GerryC View Post
I had an F30 for 5 years. Had five replacement windshields in that time. First 2 replacements were BMW/Pilkington from a BMW dealer. After that I just got the Pilkington that insurance called for.

Not sure why, but that car just went through windshields. I suspect the glass quality. I had a few chips repaired along the way, but the rest were just small chips that almost immediately propagated into a huge crack. Never had that issue with any other car.
I only had one windshield replaced in the F30 and that was due to a minor accident where the windshield was impacted. And that was five years ago. That car had been coast to coast with over 130K miles before the windshield was replaced. The current one has been fine.

I think it is your area with shitty dirty roads perhaps.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2024, 08:32 PM   #66
GerryC
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I only had one windshield replaced in the F30 and that was due to a minor accident where the windshield was impacted. And that was five years ago. That car had been coast to coast with over 130K miles before the windshield was replaced. The current one has been fine.

I think it is your area with shitty dirty roads perhaps.
Yes we have shitty dirty roads around here and lots of trucks hauling gravel and sand. It stinks. The annoying part is the F30 was my DD and it replaced a 2006 E60. That car went 175K miles in 11 years and still had the original windshield. I think that one was a Guardian.