BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

03-09-2021, 01:45 PM   #23
stockli81
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninefourteener View Post
I don't care what anyone says..... the answer is No. Any modifications you make to the vehicle, will void the warrantee on any parts/systems impacted by the modification you made. If you get tuned, the warrantee on your engine is gone, however it won't impact the warrantee on your "stereo", because getting tuned doesn't impact the function of the stereo. That's how warrantees work.

I don't care what Carbahn says..... there are literally hundreds of threads over the years from people that were denied warrantee coverage by BMW. Just google it. If you modify your car's ECU by getting tuned, and throw a piston through the hood of your car.... I absolutely 100% guarantee BMW will deny your warrantee.

When you go back to Carbahn and ask them to pay for the repairs.... there's also hundreds of threads online of Carbahn denying claims as well.

I have read about a few "Carbahn friendly" specific dealerships, that will honor the BMW warrantee on a Carbahn tune that they perform. If that is true.... cool.... but get it in writing. I GUARANTEE BMW headquarters will tell you to get bent though.

You've got to pay to play. With any modifications you make, there are risks associated. I've done more modifications than most. I've accepted that, and I've chosen to accept the consequences of what "could" happen, and what it "could" cost me if something catastrophic happens. Believing anything else, is quite frankly.... foolish.

If a warrantee claim is honored on a modified car, consider yourself VERY LUCKY. But don't be so delusional as to think that warrantee "must" be honored.
Thanks, just wanted to clear up any misinformation before I do anything.

So I take it if I get a dashcam installed and something is screwed up that will void warranty somewhere associated with that
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2021, 04:16 PM   #24
AmooManiak
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 M50i -> M2C -> 21 M5C

I'm sure that rules are different in Belgium. In the U.S., the dealer has to prove that the modification caused the part to fail. For example, if you're going 20 mph at 1500 rpms and your engine blows, this is not something that would be a result of an aftermarket intake as long as it was working within spec.

Of course, you can find yourself in a long legal battle with your dealer so you should understand that even though the dealer is denying a warranty claim, it may not be legal on their part to deny it unless they can prove that your part caused the issue. This is why it's always helpful to have legal representation for cases like these because the dealership will almost always say it's your fault. Things are not as black and white as illustrated in that above post.

Also, BMW will not tell you to "get bent." If BMW denies a claim, Carbahn covers it. I already checked with BOTH, Carbahn and my local BMW service advisor who works for a Carbahn friendly dealership. Sure, there are some horror stories out there, but that's why you make sure that you do it the right way at the right dealership and keep in close contact with all parties in case something does happen.

Carbahn is not the first company to do something like this. APR has been doing it with VWs and Audis for years.

https://apb-law.com/understanding-ma...ket-car-parts/

Last edited by AmooManiak; 03-09-2021 at 04:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2021, 11:37 AM   #25
heeblet
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2014 228i xDrive F31

Trying get mine into Carbahn but I'm going to be Waiting for DME to be unlocked for my 2021 m50i apparently BMW changed the encryption for MY21 so no tune available yet.

If you have a MY20 you might be OK.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2021, 05:07 PM   #26
speedyman
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 M50i, 2016 Z06

Quote:
Originally Posted by heeblet View Post
Trying get mine into Carbahn but I'm going to be Waiting for DME to be unlocked for my 2021 m50i apparently BMW changed the encryption for MY21 so no tune available yet.

If you have a MY20 you might be OK.
I am in exactly the same boat as you my friend. I would love to have a Carbahn tune for my '21 M50i.
Appreciate 0