BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

03-05-2021, 04:10 AM   #1
Silver.Solid
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '19 X5

Constant KAFAS error : "no enabling code " in ISTA

So I picked up a power supply to update my software at home the right way and i couldn't get rid of this error code relating to KAFAS ecu. I tried deleting fault codes a number of times... Reverting to a stock ECU coding (to undo all the coding I've done /tried) but with no success. Executing the measure plan is grayed out which i suspect is due to the error code above. (maybe wrong here)

I tried checking the KAFAS FSC and its there and accepted according to esys.

After a few hours last night of thinking of new ways to get rid of this code, nothing. Could use some help maybe I missed something. Tried the diag in ISTA... Going for a drive then again but nothing helped.

All systems are working in the drivers assistant features for my region. I'm coding via enet cable (which has worked just fine previously).
Attached Images

Last edited by Silver.Solid; 03-05-2021 at 04:49 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2021, 05:59 AM   #2
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Tesla MY LR AWD

That's a pre-existing issue probably from your last upgrade I assume?

What did you upgrade from last time i.e. i-step version xxxx to 20-07-560?

It looks like you didnt complete all the post upgrade tasks, which often requires import of FSC from a repair kit. There has been activation code campaigns for DSC_VIP and KAFAS in the past, and I have had to import those codes after upgrade.

It could be one of many KAFAS FSC thats missing - HBA, SLI, lane departure warning, GWW/WWA, etc

You need to list all FSC, determine which is missing then import it from your repair kit I expect. Get your repair kit from your dealer, or ask someone on the cartechforum to help

PS 03/2021.525 is out now, so you may as well upgrade to that
Appreciate 1
      03-05-2021, 07:06 AM   #3
Silver.Solid
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Ifr, as expected, thanks for chiming in.

I don't recall seeing this issue previously but i could be mistaken because i wasn't looking for it... Esp since i didn't notice any other issues.

I also suspected it may be due to me trying to enable lots of new traffic light type of codes recently released hence i restored old version of all those ECUs.

So I've got an FSC repair kit. What's the best way to upload them to the car via esys i take it? Is there a specific file or one by one (still searching how to do this )

Would the fsc log generated from esys help show what issues are there?

Finally, I noticed 03/2021.525 is out from your thread... Downloading 4.28.13.7z as we speak

Thanks again!

Last edited by Silver.Solid; 03-05-2021 at 08:54 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2021, 01:24 PM   #4
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

You should be able to see the status of all FSC in your operations report.

I've only ever added it during post processing after a software update on ISTA so not sure if you'll have the option elsewhere.

You can definitely import FSC in esys.
Appreciate 1
      03-06-2021, 01:19 AM   #5
ramparts
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifr View Post
You should be able to see the status of all FSC in your operations report.

I've only ever added it during post processing after a software update on ISTA so not sure if you'll have the option elsewhere.

You can definitely import FSC in esys.
Try VO coding your Kafas in ista to restore the coding data to default first , see if that makes it go away
Appreciate 1
      03-06-2021, 01:37 AM   #6
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver.Solid View Post
I also suspected it may be due to me trying to enable lots of new traffic light type of codes recently released hence i restored old version of all those ECUs.
Just spotted this.

I assume you mean you VO Coded KAFAS, SAS3, MGU and BDC (7083) against your stock FA, and not that you reverted the i-level of those ECU?

There is no relevant TLA coding for KAFAS so would not have impacted you. Some think that the FSC enabling code for KAFAS GWW is needed for TLA but I almost certain it is not.

So your coding for TLA is irrelevant, and the suggestion to VO Code KAFAS makes sense, but I suspect you have already done that.

Your ISTA Ops Report should give the info you need, like this:
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      03-07-2021, 06:45 AM   #7
Silver.Solid
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidoff86 View Post
Try VO coding your Kafas in ista to restore the coding data to default first , see if that makes it go away
thanks david. How do i VO code in insta? Problem is most tutorials out there are for either E-series or F series models on much older versions.

Quote:
Just spotted this.

I assume you mean you VO Coded KAFAS, SAS3, MGU and BDC (7083) against your stock FA, and not that you reverted the i-level of those ECU?

There is no relevant TLA coding for KAFAS so would not have impacted you. Some think that the FSC enabling code for KAFAS GWW is needed for TLA but I almost certain it is not.

So your coding for TLA is irrelevant, and the suggestion to VO Code KAFAS makes sense, but I suspect you have already done that.

Your ISTA Ops Report should give the info you need, like this:
So im a little lost between the terminology. But i made some coding changes via Esys but you are correct that none of my coding was for the KAFAS ECU to begin with but i was just trying to eliminate any possibilities if other ECU's might have been responsible.

On the second point, you said i could try recording my KAFAS ecu in esys correct? which is reverting to an older saved version of settings? i didn't spot an ECU with that name but now im interested to go back and check. I'll also examine the ISTA report for any info and report back.

thank you both... reallly stuck here and want to fix this asap so i can go back to updating the software.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2021, 07:39 AM   #8
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
On the second point, you said i could try recording my KAFAS ecu in esys correct? which is reverting to an older saved version of settings? i didn't spot an ECU with that name but now im interested to go back and check. I'll also examine the ISTA report for any info and report back.
If you didnt make any changes to KAFAS dont bother VO Coding. If you cant see KAFAS in esys its probably because you didnt read ECU with the engine running/in diagnostic mode.

Doesn't really matter though. Just do this
1. do a full vehicle test in ISTA
2. review the ops log FSC section and check the status of you enabling codes for KAFAS
3. import FSC code in esys or ISTA (if you can find where to do it)

That's what I'd do, but I'll caveat that I haven't had this issue so just speculating.
Appreciate 1
      03-07-2021, 10:01 AM   #9
ramparts
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M40i

Quote:
thanks david. How do i VO code in insta? Problem is most tutorials out there are for either E-series or F series models on much older versions.

So im a little lost between the terminology. But i made some coding changes via Esys but you are correct that none of my coding was for the KAFAS ECU to begin with but i was just trying to eliminate any possibilities if other ECU's might have been responsible.

thank you both... reallly stuck here and want to fix this asap so i can go back to updating the software.
Do a full vehicle test, address any other issues, then go to software update advanced, and just to KAFAS encoding only, not programming, and make sure every other ecu is unchecked.
Appreciate 1
      03-08-2021, 02:12 PM   #10
Silver.Solid
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
If you didnt make any changes to KAFAS dont bother VO Coding. If you cant see KAFAS in esys its probably because you didnt read ECU with the engine running/in diagnostic mode.

2. review the ops log FSC section and check the status of you enabling codes for KAFAS

That's what I'd do, but I'll caveat that I haven't had this issue so just speculating.
Did the test and here are the results. It seems the FSC's for the KAFAS are available except for high beam assist premium (guessing this is the less capable version with only one camera?)

any thoughts on what could be done?

p.s. You can also see where there are none for Carplay and android Auto
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-08-2021, 02:16 PM   #11
Silver.Solid
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidoff86 View Post
Do a full vehicle test, address any other issues, then go to software update advanced, and just to KAFAS encoding only, not programming, and make sure every other ecu is unchecked.
So i tried and it still grayed out any executions for happening after the plan is calculated.

could I try (force) something differently via esys perhaps?
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2021, 02:42 PM   #12
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Did the test and here are the results. It seems the FSC's for the KAFAS are available except for high beam assist premium (guessing this is the less capable version with only one camera?)

any thoughts on what could be done?

p.s. You can also see where there are none for Carplay and android Auto
Are you sure you didn't code KAFAS with the VFW country variant code? Changing that to all FF activates the full Give way warning including traffic light recognition (not tla) but needs FSC which you don't have.

Check 40F8 vfw_country_variant_mode is baustand_1903 or other depending on your model year
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2021, 03:04 PM   #13
Silver.Solid
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Are you sure you didn't code KAFAS with the VFW country variant code? Changing that to all FF activates the full Give way warning including traffic light recognition (not tla) but needs FSC which you don't have.

Check 40F8 vfw_country_variant_mode is baustand_1903 or other depending on your model year

Thanks for the quick response
I think you are correct but i thought i had already done that when i reverted to old settings.
I'll check it out.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2021, 08:49 AM   #14
denaliman
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X6M Competition

Garage List
2013 X6M  [0.00]
I don't know if this is relevant. I don't code nor do I understand the coding language. I just installed a Stealth Hitch, combox and OE harness and had someone code via esys. He mentioned an error code relating to the KAFAS . He attempted to fix the error and was using ISTA as well. No fix was executed on the KAFAS after a few attempts to repair. He did say that it was the driver attention camera on the cluster that suspected was faulty, camera or module. I do not get any warnings. I am on 11/2020/53 and the coder said it may have been the last update done before I took delivery in December 2020 the Dealer might have not properly did the upgrade (stop sale at that time due to issue with gas tank venting required upgrade for fix) I was just at the Dealer and asked them because I was going to have them look at this error . They advised not to attempt to look at it for fear of BMW flagging the car (2021 X6M) because of recent coding ( I had a bunch of other coding done,( Anti-Dazzle, Video in Motion, door locks etc.) They said if there are no warnings and everything seems to work just leave it. The Service advisor did say they have been changing the KAFAS cameras in the mirror housing almost on a weekly basis across different models. Like I said I don't know if this is relevant or helps, but thought I would share.

Appreciate 1
      03-09-2021, 03:03 PM   #15
Silver.Solid
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

You are an absolute genius my friend... Spot on as usual!!
Id like to buy you a drink when I'm in the UK.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2021, 03:45 PM   #16
Silver.Solid
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by denaliman View Post
I don't know if this is relevant. I don't code nor do I understand the coding language. I just installed a Stealth Hitch, combox and OE harness and had someone code via esys. He mentioned an error code relating to the KAFAS . He attempted to fix the error and was using ISTA as well. No fix was executed on the KAFAS after a few attempts to repair. He did say that it was the driver attention camera on the cluster that suspected was faulty, camera or module. I do not get any warnings. I am on 11/2020/53 and the coder said it may have been the last update done before I took delivery in December 2020 the Dealer might have not properly did the upgrade (stop sale at that time due to issue with gas tank venting required upgrade for fix) I was just at the Dealer and asked them because I was going to have them look at this error . They advised not to attempt to look at it for fear of BMW flagging the car (2021 X6M) because of recent coding ( I had a bunch of other coding done,( Anti-Dazzle, Video in Motion, door locks etc.) They said if there are no warnings and everything seems to work just leave it. The Service advisor did say they have been changing the KAFAS cameras in the mirror housing almost on a weekly basis across different models. Like I said I don't know if this is relevant or helps, but thought I would share.

Thanks for sharing. One thing i read while researching this issue is the release notes of the latest ista was the issue with kafas but it was a software issue with ista itself.

One thing you can do is do a diag using bimmer link and it will tell you if it's really an issue rather than an ista issue. I tried the fix our resident bmw coding genius suggested and im back in business.

Almost done upgrading to 03/21.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2021, 02:04 AM   #17
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
You are an absolute genius my friend... Spot on as usual!!
Id like to buy you a drink when I'm in the UK.
No worries, I was 2 for 2 yesterday

Then, pushing the boundaries of coding backfired and I've got my own issues to deal with. Risky business this coding
Appreciate 1
      03-12-2021, 03:43 AM   #18
Silver.Solid
Second Lieutenant
Rep

So after the updates, i noticed a few actions to be completed. I also noted it asked for FSC related to "sport VDM" under "activating enabling code VIP"

anyone know what this is about? is it something i missing or an added feature?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-12-2021, 06:52 AM   #19
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Just provide the folder for where your 'extracted' FSC pack is and it will import it.

Should be fine.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2021, 10:49 AM   #20
Silver.Solid
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Just provide the folder for where your 'extracted' FSC pack is and it will import it.

Should be fine.
Do you know what it is?
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2021, 10:50 AM   #21
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Should be fine.
Do you know what it is?
It's explained in the ista programming notes.

It's mandatory for when VIP is updated. Only bmw know why
Appreciate 1