03-08-2021, 01:42 PM   #45
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
You can't charge that fast with the 5W adapter the iPhones used to come with anyway, so I don't really understand why it's Armageddon all of a sudden.
That comment isn't in relation to the topic in the title but rather to the topic the comment was discussing. I don't use iPhones in my personal life.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2021, 02:04 PM   #46
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.85]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwhal View Post
Quote:
You can't charge that fast with the 5W adapter the iPhones used to come with anyway, so I don't really understand why it's Armageddon all of a sudden.
That comment isn't in relation to the topic in the title but rather to the topic the comment was discussing. I don't use iPhones in my personal life.
The topic and the title are under the same umbrella. It's still a valid point. The 5W is too slow and you wouldn't use it anyway because you want something faster. Why include it if most people don't even use it and can use one they already have that might even be faster?

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2021, 02:15 PM   #47
omasou
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
I pass my iPhone to the children, and trade it the following year when Apple Care expires. This way I always have Apple Care on my child's phone and I don't have to worry about battery aging. If like me you upgrade phones yearly, then you have a collection of 5W chargers and headphones and don't really care. Additionally, the newer iPhones require a 20W output to match the max input of iPhone so the 5W charger is useless anyway at least for fast charging and removes the complaints about including a slow charger.

The 18W/20W Apple chargers are too large and more expensive to include in the box. Anker has the Anker Nano (PowerPort III Nano) which is similar in size to the Apple 5W charger but I'm sure a similar Apple version is too expensive to "include".

All that said, when picking up my iPhone last year, I realized that removing the headphones and 5W charger is NOT about the cost of those items. Then also not forgetting that Tim Cook was previously Apple's COO...

It is easy to see that it is instead about creating a thinner and lighter iPhone box. Allowing Apple to ship more iPhones per platte, which improves Apple's ability to meet market demand by shipping more iPhones per shipment.

The logistics saving must dwarf any hardware savings.

Last edited by omasou; 03-08-2021 at 02:23 PM..
Appreciate 2
jmg18657.00
vreihen1615137.50
      03-08-2021, 02:20 PM   #48
omasou
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
Quote:
When I read comments like this I have to say that's completely outlandish. No, charging phones via cable is not going out of style and yes, is still 100% relevant.
I predict that in 1 maybe 2 years Apple will drop the charging port b/c they want to make the iPhone water and dust proof. This is my guess why we won't see them switching to USB-C for the iPhone and why they continue to support the lightning connector.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2021, 02:22 PM   #49
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
The topic and the title are under the same umbrella. It's still a valid point. The 5W is too slow and you wouldn't use it anyway because you want something faster. Why include it if most people don't even use it and can use one they already have that might even be faster?
I agree with you 100% but when you look at it that way it's still Apple who is the asshole. For example all other Phones in that price range come with a decent charger yet Apple has always included their shitty ass slow charger and made you pay to get standard features you get from other premium range phones.

So in retrospect, from Apple eyes I guess it is a environmental move that does increase their profit margins, so why not do it and market it as so.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2021, 02:23 PM   #50
NoMoreVauxhalls
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 30d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92inPHX View Post
Im in the group that only gets a new phone when mine goes down the drain so hopefully my S10 doesn’t crash anytime soon so I won’t have to deal with this BS.
Errrm.... you forgot to add the "...touch wood."
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2021, 02:25 PM   #51
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
I agree with you 100% but when you look at it that way it's still Apple who is the asshole. For example all other Phones in that price range come with a decent charger yet Apple has always included their shitty ass slow charger and made you pay to get standard features you get from other premium range phones.

So in retrospect, from Apple eyes I guess it is a environmental move that does make them richer, so why not do it and market it as so.
You would have to look at the bottom line to see if they actually passed that savings on to the consumer or not. In the end, if thats a couple hundred thousand less chargers in our landfills, that's not necessarily a bad thing.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Appreciate 2
JasonDot579.50
vreihen1615137.50
      03-08-2021, 03:13 PM   #52
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
It's just apple being cheap asses and masking it as saving the planet. Don't really care though because I've been wireless charging since my iphone X. Only time I plug it in is in the car and I don't need the brick for that.
That's true if I get a new iphone I'll mainly be using a wireless charger I already have. But my car doesn't have a wireless charger so if the 13 loses the port entirely that will be an issue. I would need an accessory that adds a lightening port back lol like some sort of case or at least usb c. The other issue is that wireless charging is slower particularly with iPhones so they will need to fix that.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2021, 03:49 PM   #53
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer456 View Post
That's true if I get a new iphone I'll mainly be using a wireless charger I already have. But my car doesn't have a wireless charger so if the 13 loses the port entirely that will be an issue. I would need an accessory that adds a lightening port back lol like some sort of case or at least usb c. The other issue is that wireless charging is slower particularly with iPhones so they will need to fix that.
Getting rid of the port completely is another story. That would be very stupid, especially since their own carplay requires a wired connection for the vast majority of cars.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2021, 06:07 PM   #54
omasou
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
Quote:
Quote:
Getting rid of the port completely is another story. That would be very stupid, especially since their own carplay requires a wired connection for the vast majority of cars.
Only true for older cars. Majority of manufacturers have been supporting wireless charging and wireless CarPlay for the last couple of years.

This list might be a mix of wired and wireless support.

https://www.apple.com/ios/carplay/available-models/

Additionally they'll may want to drop the port so they don't have to comply with the EU standard adapter initiative when passed.

https://appleinsider.com/articles/20...-charger-means
Appreciate 1
vreihen1615137.50
      03-08-2021, 09:00 PM   #55
bimmer456
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by omasou View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Only true for older cars. Majority of manufacturers have been supporting wireless charging and wireless CarPlay for the last couple of years.

Additionally they'll may want to drop the port so they don't have to comply with the EU standard adapter initiative when passed.

Yeah bmw was the first to support wireless CarPlay and now all their cars have it as an option.
Appreciate 1
MKSixer34173.50
      03-08-2021, 11:43 PM   #56
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by omasou View Post

I guess we have different definition of old. My 2017 F350 wired, 2019 Mustang wired, 2020 Corolla wired. The only one that I'm aware of that supports wireless carplay is BMW and don't they charge some kind of fee for carplay specifically?
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2021, 05:37 AM   #57
kscarrol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i, 1974 2002 Tii

Quote:
...don't they charge some kind of fee for carplay specifically?
No. Tried that for a short period but dropped it, free now as is Android Audio.
Appreciate 1
      03-09-2021, 09:35 AM   #58
GenXer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a bat out of hell.

Garage List
I'm not a fan of Micro USB but I didn't mind the old USB. I know that it only plugs in one way and that annoys people. There's nothing wrong with the lightening port to USB cord either. It's OK to have a proprietary charger as long as there's an easy to find adapter. Just look at a Tesla charger

However, I still prefer wireless/inductive charger. I haven't had any issue with the one in my car or my house. My tooth brush has an induction charger and that works well too.

I understand that everything will eventually be USB C but the majority of ports are still USB-A

I probably have at least 2 USB-A bricks in each room of the house. So I don't get Apple's decision to eliminate a USB C brick in their packaging other than being cheap.

Not everyone has USB-C readily available yet. Perhaps in 5 years or so it will be that way. I'm also still upset that the new MacBook Air only has 2 USB-C ports.

They got rid of the SD card slot, USB-A, headphone jack and Magnasafe port all to cut cost not to be more compatible or to benefit the end users. Extra ports cost money.

What next, getting rid of internal speaker? Heck might as well get rid of the screen too while you're at it.

Introducing
the new Apple XX. No port, no speaker, no screen, no button. Just a brick of plastic.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2021, 10:24 AM   #59
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
You would have to look at the bottom line to see if they actually passed that savings on to the consumer or not. In the end, if thats a couple hundred thousand less chargers in our landfills, that's not necessarily a bad thing.
No it will not be passed onto the consumer. This is just to help with profit margins.

I fail to see how NOT providing new chargers in the box is going in the end to have hundred thousand LESS chargers in our landfills? Have you guys bought so much frigging phones that you have SO MUCH CHARGERS that you can't even store them in a drawer and the moment you get a new one you HAVE TO THROW IT OUT? Lol? I really can't wrap my head around this.

In the end of all things, this just benefits Apple and their profits margins and they act like it's for the environment.,t I can't believe how people are so gullible.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2021, 10:42 AM   #60
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
In the end of all things, this just benefits Apple and their profits margins and they act like it's for the environment.,t I can't believe how people are so gullible.
While I'm sure some people believe it... shit there's people that believe the earth is flat so I'm sure you can find someone to believe anything. I don't think the majority of people give a shit one way or another.

I KNOW Apple is just trying to make more $$ however I am inconvenienced more by switching to some other brand just to spite Apple than I am by not having a brick in the box which I don't even use. Plus how many other much crappier things does Apple (and other companies) do that is much worse than not putting a charger in the box?

Last edited by dreamingat30fps; 03-09-2021 at 10:48 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2021, 10:45 AM   #61
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: '21 M340i xDrive, '17 Audi S3

Android. That is all.
Appreciate 2
King Rudi13154.00
YarB0.00
      03-09-2021, 10:50 AM   #62
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Plus how many other much crappier things does Apple (and other companies) do that is much worse than not putting a charger in the box?
Haha I know I know that's true. But when I saw this topic on E90 post just had to talk about it and comment how I felt.
Appreciate 1
      03-09-2021, 11:30 AM   #63
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
No it will not be passed onto the consumer. This is just to help with profit margins.

I fail to see how NOT providing new chargers in the box is going in the end to have hundred thousand LESS chargers in our landfills? Have you guys bought so much frigging phones that you have SO MUCH CHARGERS that you can't even store them in a drawer and the moment you get a new one you HAVE TO THROW IT OUT? Lol? I really can't wrap my head around this.

Everything I own will eventually end up in a landfill because I won't live forever and I'm not including my precious USB chargers in my will because they will likely be worthless and obsolete.

I definitely think it will benefit Apple, but I also think it will benefit us overall. Setting the trend will reverberate in the market and hopefully not every single electronic device will come with a charger any longer and we can have less waste.

Appreciate 0
      03-10-2021, 03:35 PM   #64
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
Because of this thread waking me up, I dropped $67 a few days ago for a three-device wireless charging stand and a third-party wireless charging receiver for my work iPhone 7. I just finished hooking everything up, and my "night" Apple Watch and two iPhones are happily charging away on my desk.

Once I'm confident that the charger won't have issues, I plan to give my former trusty wireless charging stand to my DW for her phone.....
      03-12-2021, 03:31 PM   #65
chowser51
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F33 430 and F39 M35i

Garage List
my 64gb xs max won't fit in the wireless charger of my x2 (too tall). i just got in a new 12 pro 128gb, hopefully it fits. doing the transfer now.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2022, 11:12 AM   #66
bimmer456
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chowser51 View Post
my 64gb xs max won't fit in the wireless charger of my x2 (too tall). i just got in a new 12 pro 128gb, hopefully it fits. doing the transfer now.
Not sure why bmw doesn't just include wireless charging standard and even if you pay $500 for it the wireless charger sucks. It probably won't keep your phone charged.
Appreciate 0