BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-09-2023, 07:06 PM   #1
dzervit
Rep
Drives: X5MC

Arrow Looking for help with error code (Mar-22-24 Update)

Since picking up my used ‘22 X5MC I’ve encountered the dreaded “Drivetrain Malfunction”. I downloaded Bimmerlink and using my old ODB2 scanner pulled the codes. The most apparent to me is under the Digital Engine Electronics 2 module, it matches the 3 times I had the problem. The error listed is:

21A373: Emergency operation 5, slave: Group Error for DME coupling

The error only comes up during spirited driving while in SportPlus, usually while flirting with the redline if memory serves.

I’ve searched and read other “drivetrain malfunction” threads, but nothing exactly like this.

Thoughts?

3-22-24 Update below at post #11

Last edited by dzervit; 03-22-2024 at 03:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2023, 11:34 PM   #2
crazyinp
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2022 BMW X5e  [0.00]
2023 BMW X5M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dzervit View Post
Since picking up my used ‘22 X5MC I’ve encountered the dreaded “Drivetrain Malfunction”. I downloaded Bimmerlink and using my old ODB2 scanner pulled the codes. The most apparent to me is under the Digital Engine Electronics 2 module, it matches the 3 times I had the problem. The error listed is:

21A373: Emergency operation 5, slave: Group Error for DME coupling

The error only comes up during spirited driving while in SportPlus, usually while flirting with the redline if memory serves.

I’ve searched and read other “drivetrain malfunction” threads, but nothing exactly like this.

Thoughts?
Is the car stock? If so should be still under warranty and I would get it checked out by the dealer.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2023, 08:42 PM   #3
dzervit
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyinp View Post
Is the car stock? If so should be still under warranty and I would get it checked out by the dealer.
It is, and I will. Just trying to get some sense of it before I take it to the shop.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2023, 03:43 PM   #4
crazyinp
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2022 BMW X5e  [0.00]
2023 BMW X5M  [0.00]
Quote:
It is, and I will. Just trying to get some sense of it before I take it to the shop.
Does it trigger the check engine light? wonder of BMW just records the times you have hit the redline on the car
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2023, 08:25 PM   #5
dzervit
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyinp View Post
Does it trigger the check engine light? wonder of BMW just records the times you have hit the redline on the car
Does not trigger the check engine, but does reduce engine RPM temporarily. Around 4K if memory serves. On a two week road trip so won’t get to the dealer and have an update until after the first of the year.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2023, 10:06 PM   #6
Dasky_spas
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bmw

What was the outcome?
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2023, 12:19 PM   #7
dzervit
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasky_spas View Post
What was the outcome?
Haven’t been to the dealer yet, just got back from two week, 2700 mile Christmas roadtrip. Was trying to get it in beforehand but no time. Hope to get it in sometime in January.

No error on the roadtrip, everything was great… it only has shown itself when really pressed with my “balls out” M2 settings, of which were never used with the wife and dog in the car.

I’ll be sure to update the thread once it gets to the dealer!
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2024, 01:39 PM   #8
dzervit
Rep

Went in for normal service and they pulled error codes. They had a different code, 20A201, which is thrown by the turbo coolant system. They did a pressure check to look for leaks, found none, and topped off the auxiliary coolant reservoir and said it was due to evaporation. Not sure I buy any of it, but we'll see if I can replicate the code on an upcoming road trip.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2024, 06:16 PM   #9
voidtrance
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5M Comp

Quote:
Went in for normal service and they pulled error codes. They had a different code, 20A201, which is thrown by the turbo coolant system. They did a pressure check to look for leaks, found none, and topped off the auxiliary coolant reservoir and said it was due to evaporation. Not sure I buy any of it, but we'll see if I can replicate the code on an upcoming road trip.
Why wait? If it only shows itself when you push the car, get your advisor in the car and go for a driver. Push the car in front of him and let him witness it.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2024, 07:02 PM   #10
dzervit
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by voidtrance View Post
Why wait? If it only shows itself when you push the car, get your advisor in the car and go for a driver. Push the car in front of him and let him witness it.
If it was consistent I would have, but its not every time I bang off redline. I've got a road trip this weekend so I'll find plenty of time to put it through a good workout and see if a low auxiliary coolant reservoir is really to blame.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2024, 03:08 PM   #11
dzervit
Rep

3/22 Update

After swapping out the winter rubber I make sure the new shoes were on right so I went for a little spirited drive and just happened to get the drivetrain malfunction again along with reduced RPMs for about 10 seconds. So back to the dealer it went.

Different error code but related to the turbo coolant system. The mothership told the dealer to ensure they perform a vacuum bleed of the system and not just your plain 'ol bleeding I guess. Tech noted after the pre-vacuum bleed pressure testing the auxiliary coolant reservoir was low. After adding coolant and the vacuum bleed the system maintained pressure and the reservoir remained at the correct level.

The whole explanation sounded strange to me - if they topped off the auxiliary coolant system where did it all go? Must be a lot of air trapped somewhere and why BMW instructed them on the vacuum bleed. It's all a little over my head as this is the first engine with this much engineering into a cooling system... Anywho, that's my story.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2024, 03:21 PM   #12
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

Did you notice that the oil temps fluctuating from the middle after the car is fully warmed up?

One time after the dealer replaced my waterpump/belts they forgot to refill my secondary cooling system causing a CEL when I pushed the car. It was down on power as well since it was the middle of summer. During that time i noticed that my oil temps would fluctuate from being in the middle to lower temps and back into the middle sporadically which never occurred before. Normally its right smack in the middle and doesn't deviate from that. After i figured out that I was down on coolant (the one by the firewall) i topped it off, bleed the system and the CEL never came back. Power was back to normal and the oil temps stayed rock steady in the middle again.
      03-22-2024, 03:22 PM   #13
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

This is why i HATE having anyone touch my car and do not bring it in unless i absolutely have to. Rather pay out of pocket for things i can change since i know it will be done and done right.
      03-25-2024, 01:19 PM   #14
dzervit
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan l. View Post
Did you notice that the oil temps fluctuating from the middle after the car is fully warmed up?

One time after the dealer replaced my waterpump/belts they forgot to refill my secondary cooling system causing a CEL when I pushed the car. It was down on power as well since it was the middle of summer. During that time i noticed that my oil temps would fluctuate from being in the middle to lower temps and back into the middle sporadically which never occurred before. Normally its right smack in the middle and doesn't deviate from that. After i figured out that I was down on coolant (the one by the firewall) i topped it off, bleed the system and the CEL never came back. Power was back to normal and the oil temps stayed rock steady in the middle again.
I never noticed any fluctuations in engine oil temps. I really need to find a good shop manual on this guy to understand how some of these systems work. Do they even make shop manuals for the public anymore? I have seen (or looked for) a Chilton's book in 10-15 years. Eh, just one more time suck I don't have time for. Hopefully the dealer got it right this time, and thank goodness for warranties.
Appreciate 0