BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

02-22-2020, 11:51 AM   #45
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

I’ll just leave this bomb here; https://news.yahoo.com/fuel-tanker-e...015307066.html
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2020, 01:22 PM   #46
Dog Face Pony Soldier
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
Why leave it in this thread? What does an accident involving a tanker carrying jet fuel have to do with this discussion? 🤷🏻*♂️
      02-22-2020, 09:09 PM   #47
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
This was many many many years ago. So I'm dating myself. But pretty much all the EV cars we were testing were using lead acid batteries. The hydrogen was coming from the normal recharge cycle of lead acid batteries.
i'm not an expert, but i figured such. do you think its a little irresponsible to post that info without a little context? not that you're responsible for observations posted on the internet, but its a bit misleading for this thread without an explanation of context, don't you think?
      02-23-2020, 12:48 AM   #48
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennQNYC View Post
Why leave it in this thread? What does an accident involving a tanker carrying jet fuel have to do with this discussion? 🤷🏻*♂️
Showing that transporting combustible fuel all over the country is in itself a fire hazard. Not one that can't be mitigated to a reasonable level, but to claim you can't mitigate EV fire hazards (as is happening in this thread) is equally ridiculous.
      02-23-2020, 06:16 AM   #49
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
i'm not an expert, but i figured such. do you think its a little irresponsible to post that info without a little context? not that you're responsible for observations posted on the internet, but its a bit misleading for this thread without an explanation of context, don't you think?
I don't know how my factual post turned into something that now I'm being attacked on. But being this is the Internet and all, everyone seems to just want to get their jabs in. I didn't post up my experience with any agenda. I just said that the topic of this thread reminded me of something I experienced many many years ago. I was not drawing any direct parallels. I did say this took place a long time ago. Excuse me for not posting dates.

I'm also not a battery or electrical engineer. But along the way, I did know all lead acid batteries had vent tubes in them and that hydrogen is a by product of the charging cycle. You asked for clarification and I gave it. My recount of something that happened a long time ago is still relevant here. The current battery technology uses Li Ion or Li Poly. While these batteries don't produce hydrogen, they do have to be treated gingerly. There's a reason these batteries have to be cooled. If you look on Youtube, you'll see a myriad of videos showing the disassembly of battery packs which you'll see coolant lines going into the battery packs. These batteries produce a lot of heat under load. To remind you again, I'm not a battery or electrical engineer. But i would imagine, the recharge of these batteries will result in the same heat issue; especially with supercharging. I would also imagine that part of the input/charging power would be used to power the cooling system to prevent overheating of the batteries.

Tesla has a bunch of electronics and monitoring systems to ensure no battery mishaps happen. But they've been doing this for years and pretty much have it down. Although I seem to recall when Tesla was still a young company that there were some reported incidents of battery related issues. With more and more companies getting into EVs, I would expect some growing pains which MAY be what is happening here with Porsche.

Make no mistake about it, EVs may be the current cool sexy. But that's masquerading the potential issues of current tech batteries. For the most part everything is fine and safe. But if things go wrong, they go wrong in a big way. No different than ICE powered vehicles.
Appreciate 1
      02-23-2020, 08:02 AM   #50
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

I didn't mean to come off as attacking, just a comment.
Some people would read that and think ev's can't park in a garage. Lol

My little smart electric car has a small battery and it still has a cooling system. It cycles on during charging and if it malfunctions, the car has a fail safe system that just won't let it take a charge.
For some reason, people love to sensationalize and dramatize problems and perpetuate myths about electric cars. I'm not saying that's what you're doing, but someone will read what you wrote and misinterpret it. Again, you're not responsible for other people's interpretations of what they read on the internet.
      02-23-2020, 08:32 AM   #51
wdb
dances with roads
Rep
Drives: '07 E86, '02 996, '95 Seven

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennQNYC View Post
Modern, unmodified ICE vehicles catching fire on their own while parked and not in use is unbelievably rare.
This being a BMW forum, I find this comment kind of amusing. Two of my recent BMW's were involved in a recall for an issue that could cause them to catch fire while parked and not in use:

https://www.consumeraffairs.com/news...ue-041919.html

Appreciate 1
F32Fleet3539.50
      02-24-2020, 06:06 AM   #52
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenXer View Post
Is this a win for an ICE vehicle?

(I'm asking for a friend)
Plenty of BMWs and ICE vehicles in general have caught fire while sitting in a garage.

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 0