BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

02-26-2021, 11:49 AM   #1
Fennario
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

Michelin Pilot Alpin5 SUV Review

Wanted to put up a quick review of the PA5 SUV based on my trip to Tahoe last week. Driving conditions were a mix of everything from 65 degrees and sunny, through cold and wet transitions, down to 15 with ice and 6" of snow. Made sure to hoon around in the snow and slush to get a feel for where their limits are and how quickly they go once pushed beyond. Also bears mentioning that this was on a fully loaded 45e w/ roof box.

TLR - Great for mixed conditions without giving up too much performance on either end of the spectrum. Tires were excellent with the exception of turning at speed through deep slush and snow. Biggest trade-off is that rounded sidewalls prevent the sides of the tires from cutting through the crud vs. squared off ones which bite like an ice skate.

Warm and Dry: A+ No squirm or slop noticed during the drive from SF -> Tahoe during the day when it was 56/70 and sunny. Nosier than the OEM Alenzas due to some tread growl, but not bad at all. Performance seems equivalent or better to Alenzas under similar conditions but did not push things to find out.

50 and Wet: A

20 and Dry: A

Snow covered roads (packed): A- You will get some slide/ABS on a panic brake but the car remained fully controllable and distances were acceptable.

Icy Parking Lot: B - no issues but can only do so much without studs.

6" snow covered road: B - good but need to take care with the turns until you feel the bite. Car will slide at speed (20+mph)

Deep Slush: B - Same as the snow covered road. Good in a straight line but lacks some lateral grip.

Standing start from bottom of icy driveway: B - Wheelspin the on the first try but successful thereafter.

MPG: Hard to tell at this point due to fully loaded car with roof box.
Appreciate 2
Denk1006.00
FiatLux11.50
      02-27-2021, 01:59 PM   #2
Denk
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5M

I have a staggered set of the Pilot Alpin 5 SUV on 740M wheels that I've used this winter. We only encountered one winter blast with freezing rain and snow. The Michelins performed nicely! I found them just as quiet as my summer performance tires in the dry. Lateral grip was its only weakness on the icy snow covered roads but I expected that with the weight of the car, no biggie. I didn't have any issues driving sensibly. Great winter performance tire overall.

Appreciate 0
      03-12-2021, 05:28 PM   #3
SmartSaves
X5 Enthusiast
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5

Garage List
2021 BMW X5  [10.00]
I am using these PA5 on 20" 741M replica wheels (square, non-RFT). Good tires.
      08-04-2021, 01:31 PM   #4
Edubya
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 Raptor

I just purchased (ordered) BMW's Winter Wheel and Tire set: 740M with Alpin 5 shoes, comes with TPMS, mounted and balanced.

https://www.shopbmwusa.com/product/8...0M,-ORBIT-GREY

Retail $3877 ($4196 after tax) - used Costco's Parts and Accessories Auto Program 15% off - $3600 out the door.

I was a bit surprised the dealer took the coupon as it states it can't be used for tires, but they took it.

no stock in USA, so I wait 4 to 6 weeks to ship from Germany, I expect it will take longer though.
Appreciate 1
FiatLux11.50
      10-25-2022, 12:29 AM   #5
FiatLux
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 535i, X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edubya View Post
I just purchased (ordered) BMW's Winter Wheel and Tire set: 740M with Alpin 5 shoes, comes with TPMS, mounted and balanced.

https://www.shopbmwusa.com/product/8...0M,-ORBIT-GREY

Retail $3877 ($4196 after tax) - used Costco's Parts and Accessories Auto Program 15% off - $3600 out the door.

I was a bit surprised the dealer took the coupon as it states it can't be used for tires, but they took it.

no stock in USA, so I wait 4 to 6 weeks to ship from Germany, I expect it will take longer though.
How long did it take you to get your wheels and tires?
Appreciate 0