BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-31-2019, 07:55 AM   #1
natahoa
Retired soccer mom
United_States
Rep
Drives: x5 40i 2019

Garage List
Question PPF, ceramic coat, what is best for trees?

My car, which I hope to have next week, will live outside under a tree. I’d like to protect the paint and have been looking at posts about vinyl wrap and other products.

No way I’d attempt this on my own.

What products would you recommend to protect against bird droppings, pecans and tree sap (not a huge problem but the trees are only going to get bigger).

I also live in a small city (Salisbury, MD) so will have limited choices.

How much should I expect to pay for top and front protection?

Last edited by natahoa; 05-31-2019 at 08:13 AM.. Reason: Typo
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2019, 08:00 AM   #2
JayInVa
Private
Rep
Drives: X5 40i MSport Tanzanite Blue

I'm in the same boat Natahoa. I'm looking at doing both PPF and ceramic after I take delivery next month. My CA said that he just uses Cilajet on his, but I'm not convinced that is sufficient.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2019, 08:08 AM   #3
natahoa
Retired soccer mom
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I don’t even know if my dealer offers that, but if they do I’d like to get some advice on how much it will cost. I will probably get my car in the next 10 days.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2019, 08:42 AM   #4
dream54ing
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 428xi F32- X5 X5 G05 -640i F06

We had Suntek PPF installed, full front wrap for ~$1800 in Arizona. Dealer wanted $3K. It included entire hood, front bumper, fenders, headlights, side mirrors, essentially everything on the front end except for the grills and windshield.

We had the option for Suntek or Expel brand and went with Suntek becuase it was much more reflective natural match to original paint shine.

We chose PPF because we have lots of rocks and debris on our roads, long run it it will prevent paint chipping.

From what I've read, vinyl wrap will not give you the protection like PPF. if its just tree droppings and bird poop, it might be okay, but I would not do it because its not cheap to vinyl wrap as well. A large car canopy from Costco will be a better bet for you
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2019, 08:49 AM   #5
natahoa
Retired soccer mom
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Dealer just sent me a list of addons.

What is Nano Force Flex? Asking $1k for interior and exterior ding protection. I don’t care about interior protection. Looking for your opinions on this product and price (which I would negotiate).

Never,ind - this is not a protective exterior wrap. It’s basically insurance for the windshield.

Last edited by natahoa; 05-31-2019 at 09:02 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2019, 09:02 AM   #6
dream54ing
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 428xi F32- X5 X5 G05 -640i F06

Quote:
Originally Posted by natahoa View Post

What is Nano Force Flex? Asking $1k for interior and exterior ding protection. I don’t care about interior protection. Looking for your opinions on this product and price (which I would negotiate).
Not an expert, but never heard of it with all the research I've done. Most that is paying good money either get Suntek or Expel. There are a few other more pricier options, but didnt read too much into those. My guess is, if a dealer offer it at $1K, you probably can get the same wrap for less than $500 else where.

$1K is a good price, but what does include when they said interior and exterior. Also warranty? Both Suntek and Expel comes with a 10 yrs warranty. Its not like its going to matter, but knowing they offer 10yrs show me they stand behind their product.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2019, 09:07 AM   #7
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:

Never,ind - this is not a protective exterior wrap. It’s basically insurance for the windshield.
Its not a wrap, it a hand applied coating. I'm not familiar enough with it to give recommendations or details but other dealers who offer it, also offer free replacement/repairs on items that were covered. Just get the details from your dealer on what they are offering...get them via email now so you have time to come to grips with it before sitting in the finance office under the hot lights.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2019, 09:17 AM   #8
natahoa
Retired soccer mom
United_States
Rep

Garage List
[QUOTE=dream54ing;24854011 A large car canopy from Costco will be a better bet for you [/QUOTE]

Thanks!

I’d love to put up a canopy, but we get crazy winds here (I live on the Chesapeake Bay). We have a small parking area butting up to the house. I’m afraid a canopy might do more harm than good when the wind catches it and sends it to the next zip code.

If I had the space I’d put the car in an Amish shed, but I don’t. In a few years we will take over the property next door, and then I’ll have space for a garage shed. Until then, this poor car will be living outside.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2019, 09:22 AM   #9
natahoa
Retired soccer mom
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty in Bgm View Post
Its not a wrap, it a hand applied coating. Just get the details from your dealer on what they are offering...get them via email now so you have time to come to grips with it before sitting in the finance office under the hot lights.
Yup, that is exactly what I’m doing. It covers the windshield replacement. I’ve asked what else the warranty (5 years) covers. Seems like a mostly interior thing, so I don’t have high hopes.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2019, 09:31 AM   #10
GazerBeam
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 50i M-Sport

Quote:
My car, which I hope to have next week, will live outside under a tree. I’d like to protect the paint and have been looking at posts about vinyl wrap and other products.

What products would you recommend to protect against bird droppings, pecans and tree sap (not a huge problem but the trees are only going to get bigger).

So I had both Xpel and Ceramic Pro done to the car the day I picked it up. I had what is known as the drivers package done, full front, rocker panels, full rear and Ceramic Pro Gold Package including the interior and wheels and calipers.

When the pollen fell, the car was yellow. Bird shit, tree sap, it will all be there. The only benefit, all you have to do is foam it, rinse it, and the car is beautiful again. And I paid under 5k for it all.
      05-31-2019, 09:38 AM   #11
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yup, that is exactly what I’m doing. It covers the windshield replacement. I’ve asked what else the warranty (5 years) covers. Seems like a mostly interior thing, so I don’t have high hopes.
Won't the comp coverage with your car insurance also cover the windshield? Mine covers it 100% with no deductible and I get true OEM windshield replacement.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2019, 09:44 AM   #12
natahoa
Retired soccer mom
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Update:
I can get no-deductible windshield replacement coverage from my insurer for $128 a year. A lot cheaper than bmws package. No add ons for me!
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2019, 10:05 AM   #13
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Right, you just have to take all the goodies your dealer would love to sell you, itemize them and apply a value to each. Some will have no value, some will but be weary as to how they package them. Sorta like when selecting Tiers or Packages for the car, ..you want the soft close doors but are forced to take the whole package for a much higher price and end up with things you don't want.
If they offer you something of value but its in a pkg, see if they will break it out of the package for you. Possible making $300 off that one item is better than them making $0 because you refused the package. This is why its good to get the list before the car arrives so you can go in with your homework already done.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2019, 10:12 AM   #14
natahoa
Retired soccer mom
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Yes, I got the list from them and it is all maintenance and extended warranties except for this windshield thingy. So I won’t be doing any add ons, which should expedite the process.

They don’t offer PPF there. Kind of surprises me, since they also sell Mercedes at that location.

I’m in the process of evaluating all the numbers stated on the invoice and finance agreement. I’m getting a $2,000 difference from what we agreed on when I bought the car. Still working on it.

My goal is to go in, sign the papers quickly, and have the rest of they day making sure connected drive works, iDrive is at the latest version, my profile is intact, I understand the oddball key situation and will get a key card if they don’t already have it, etc.

My husband plans to print out the contract they sent me and hold it up in the sun with the one I’m signing. Any differences and, Houston, we got a problem.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2019, 10:31 AM   #15
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yes, I got the list from them and it is all maintenance and extended warranties except for this windshield thingy. So I won’t be doing any add ons, which should expedite the process.

They don’t offer PPF there. Kind of surprises me, since they also sell Mercedes at that location.

I’m in the process of evaluating all the numbers stated on the invoice and finance agreement. I’m getting a $2,000 difference from what we agreed on when I bought the car. Still working on it.

My goal is to go in, sign the papers quickly, and have the rest of they day making sure connected drive works, iDrive is at the latest version, my profile is intact, I understand the oddball key situation and will get a key card if they don’t already have it, etc.

My husband plans to print out the contract they sent me and hold it up in the sun with the one I’m signing. Any differences and, Houston, we got a problem.
Funny...holding it up to the sun! and don't forget to bring a portable black light to look for invisible charges

Good luck in getting in and out quickly, that is not normally their goal, its more like a hostage situation till you weaken, breakdown and buy something Naaa, only kidding...well, sort of anyway. You'll be fine, you're doing your homework up front.

My last couple of cars were purchased strictly over the internet via email, never met or talked via phone to a human. I knew exactly what I wanted, sent the spec to several and gave them each two chances to sell the car. Once I picked the dealer, I had them send me the necessary paperwork so all I had to do was to drive to the dealer with paperwork in hand, verify the car, sign the paperwork, give them the $ and leave. Still took 2 hours of which most was waiting on them and sitting in the finance office saying no repeatedly. Ugh.

Your situation will be different, you WILL want to sit in the car with them and make sure you get set up and connected like you said.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2019, 02:26 PM   #16
XPEL
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

Ceramic Coating

Quote:

Vinyl wraps won't be as durable as a true paint protection film when it comes to resistance against bird droppings. Ceramic coatings may also be another option depending on your budget and how much protection you're going for.

Pricing will vary based on labor rates and installer experience but here is some general pricing info.

There's a lot of discussion about Ceramic Coatings vs Paint Protection Film. Check out the video below by YouTuber Engineering Explained as he does a deep dive on "Everything You Need To Know About Ceramic Coatings"
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2019, 04:20 PM   #17
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Porsche Boxster GTS

Garage List
  [0.00]
2022 Porsche Boxste ...  [0.00]
Feyn Labs Heal+ ceramic or any PPF (Suntek, Opti, XPEL) I've used them all and they're all about the same
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2019, 07:16 AM   #18
natahoa
Retired soccer mom
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Thanks so much!
I’ve since found that you can buy PPF materials on amazon, including a 2019 X5 package. The reviews say they are relatively easy to apply - in this case you don’t take the car apart, just apply to the top and maybe around the edges. My current car has crazy scratching around door handles, so I want to apply it there as well

I still don’t want to tackle this on my own and have found two relatively local places to request quotes. The first said he’s not sure he can get the pattern. So I told him I could get it on amazon and bring it to him to install. Still waiting on a response.

This was all over the weekend, so I hope to get responses soon (today is Monday).

Both companies primarily advertise graphics services, so I could probably add some pinstriping if I wanted to. Otherwise I’m not advertising anything.

Not paying thousands for this - I’m happy to pay time and materials.

Last edited by natahoa; 06-03-2019 at 07:18 AM.. Reason: Add info
Appreciate 0