BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

09-10-2023, 08:48 AM   #1
bandersen
Captain
Rep
Drives: MY22 X5 40I M-Sport

Trunk Bike Rack

I've searched the posts, as well as the accessories guide...

Has anyone used a trunk bike rack - not with a hitch, but one with straps that attach to the trunk/tailgate?

Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2023, 08:54 AM   #2
streborx
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X7 M50i

I had one many years ago. Even though the rack has plastic coated strap hooks and rubber bumpers, these contact painted areas. My concern was the accumulation of dirt/dust in these contact areas and slight vibrations that would leave abrasions in the paint. An aftermarket bumper hitch or roof rack mount would be my preferences.
Appreciate 1
bandersen588.50
      09-10-2023, 10:07 AM   #3
Skimo612
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5

Long-time bike-rack owner here. Don’t do it. Trunk racks are asking to scratch and mar your vehicle. Guaranteed. Taller vehicles need a hitch-rack or the bikes go inside. I use a roof mount when the hitch is full, but getting the bikes up and down is not great, nor is worrying about hitting the bikes on an overhang, etc.
Appreciate 4
E91toG05342.50
bandersen588.50
tooloud10766.50
e45_44024.00
      09-10-2023, 02:15 PM   #4
niehms
Enlisted Member
Germany
Rep
Drives: F15

A really good idea is an inside bike carrier. I’ve been using this since 8 years for my 2015 X5 40e and our two 28” bikes with no problems whatsoever:
https://www.radfazz.de/
Appreciate 1
bandersen588.50
      09-11-2023, 08:44 AM   #5
icj_45e
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23 X5 45e

X5s have a rear "spoiler" on top of the rear door/hatch above the window. The strap-on bike racks typically aren't recommended in this application because they put a concentrated load on this spoiler.
I've seen some racks that use suction cups to attach to vehicle, but I have no idea how well they work
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2023, 08:49 AM   #6
Sleeper
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '23 BSM X5///MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by niehms View Post
A really good idea is an inside bike carrier. I’ve been using this since 8 years for my 2015 X5 40e and our two 28” bikes with no problems whatsoever:
https://www.radfazz.de/
Do you have a picture of your bikes in the carrier/racks? Would be curious to see how they mount up.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2023, 12:17 PM   #7
tooloud10
Captain
Rep
Drives: '08 M3 convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by icj_45e View Post
X5s have a rear "spoiler" on top of the rear door/hatch above the window. The strap-on bike racks typically aren't recommended in this application because they put a concentrated load on this spoiler.
That's a great point--after clipping the rack to the top of the hatch, the straps would be applying a large part of the load to the edge of the plastic spoiler. Certainly not ideal, same with almost everything about these styles of racks.

Quote:
I've seen some racks that use suction cups to attach to vehicle, but I have no idea how well they work
I've got several friends that use Seasuckers and I've never heard of a problem, but I've fortunately never had a reason to rely on the suction cups--I doubt I'd ever stop worrying about my bike falling off. Don't even have to think about the bikes falling off on a platform rack like the Kuat or 1Up models.
      09-11-2023, 02:58 PM   #8
Skimo612
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooloud10 View Post
That's a great point--after clipping the rack to the top of the hatch, the straps would be applying a large part of the load to the edge of the plastic spoiler. Certainly not ideal, same with almost everything about these styles of racks.

I've got several friends that use Seasuckers and I've never heard of a problem, but I've fortunately never had a reason to rely on the suction cups--I doubt I'd ever stop worrying about my bike falling off. Don't even have to think about the bikes falling off on a platform rack like the Kuat or 1Up models.
I have been using a 1Up hitch rack for about 5 years and it is superior to all options. Well, except QuikR Stuff which is the updated design done by the same guy.

https://1up-usa.com/

https://quikrstuff.com/
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2023, 04:11 PM   #9
tooloud10
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skimo612 View Post
I have been using a 1Up hitch rack for about 5 years and it is superior to all options. Well, except QuikR Stuff which is the updated design done by the same guy.
They're good racks but when I was in the market years ago they certainly had some flaws, so I ended up with two Kuat NV 2.0s that I greatly prefer to the 1Up models. I regularly have to defend the Kuats because I live just a couple miles from 1Up HQ and everyone here seems to use them.

The short version is that I don't like the metallic clunkiness of the 1Up, and when I was buying they didn't come with a locking hitch pin and instead just used friction to keep the rack in the receiver, which was a dealbreaker for me. I believe they changed this but I have no reason to switch now.
      09-11-2023, 07:34 PM   #10
eelnoraa
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 X5

Quote:
They're good racks but when I was in the market years ago they certainly had some flaws, so I ended up with two Kuat NV 2.0s that I greatly prefer to the 1Up models. I regularly have to defend the Kuats because I live just a couple miles from 1Up HQ and everyone here seems to use them.

The short version is that I don't like the metallic clunkiness of the 1Up, and when I was buying they didn't come with a locking hitch pin and instead just used friction to keep the rack in the receiver, which was a dealbreaker for me. I believe they changed this but I have no reason to switch now.
I totally agree with you. 1up is what I call engineers design a product for engineers. It is very good in concept, beautiful workmanship. But as a bike rake that see rough use, Kuat or Thule are better, more practical.

For me, hitch or rook. Hitch > roof for X5 just because how high the car is. No trunk mount or suction cup mount on glass.
      09-12-2023, 09:22 AM   #11
Skimo612
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eelnoraa View Post
I totally agree with you. 1up is what I call engineers design a product for engineers. It is very good in concept, beautiful workmanship. But as a bike rake that see rough use, Kuat or Thule are better, more practical.

For me, hitch or rook. Hitch > roof for X5 just because how high the car is. No trunk mount or suction cup mount on glass.

I agree that the Thule and Kuat are a bit easier to use. But I have not had the same longevity/durability with them.

I haven't tried the suction racks before--are they rated for a vertical mount situation? I've only seen them on top of a 911 or similar.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2023, 10:34 AM   #12
tooloud10
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skimo612 View Post
I agree that the Thule and Kuat are a bit easier to use. But I have not had the same longevity/durability with them.
I stuck with Kuat when buying my second rack specifically because the one I've had on my camping rig has been abused and held up well for years now. Besides that, there's a lifetime warranty if anything does break.

Tried a Thule for a year or so and found it to be junk.
Attached Images

09-12-2023, 01:43 PM   #13
Skimo612
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
I stuck with Kuat when buying my second rack specifically because the one I've had on my camping rig has been abused and held up well for years now. Besides that, there's a lifetime warranty if anything does break.

Tried a Thule for a year or so and found it to be junk.
That was my experience with the Thule as well. The Quats are nice.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2023, 02:53 AM   #14
everythingDynamics
Registered
Rep
Drives: X5 Xdrive40i

The good part of 1up is that you can fold it for storage. Thule hitch rack is really easy to use (especially for road bike), but just a bit too plastic and super bulky for storage.
Appreciate 2