BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-31-2023, 10:36 PM   #1
aaaaaaaaaz
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e (CB/Coffee)

Rank X5 design across generations...

Just for fun, start a thread to discuss how people like X5 design across generations. I am sure everyone will has very different opinion - feel free to agree or disagree with me, I respect everyone's own judgement as this is very subjective.

My personal rank:

F15 >> G05 LCI M-sports > G05 Pre-LCI (xLine & M-sports) >> G05 LCI non-M-sports

My reasoning:

F15:
Absolutely my favourite X5 generation. Overall design looks bold and aggressive. love the stance. The rear end design is iconic - when you see the tail light, you know this is a luxury and powerful SUV. I think it is the most iconic design among BMW SUVs: if you ask me to draw a BM W SUV, this is it.

G05 Pre-LCI:
The line softens quite a bit; the rear end becomes much more generic, and the tail light lost its magic. However, overall design still looks great; front end is elegant. In this generation, I equally like xLine and M-sports design: xLine is very elegant and m-sport gives it a little more aggressive touch; however it "feels" not as aggressive or "manly" as F15.

G05 LCI m-sports:
I like the fact that they "retouched" the taillight and restored the rear end a bit; however I am not too sure about the headlight design. I guess they made the car looks a bit more modernized; the black "jaw" piece looks awkward on a white car but OK-ish on darker colors. IMO, I put it just slightly above pre-LCI due to the tail-light and side vent design.

G05 LCI non-m-sports:
I really do not understand their design choice on the front end; the big "smile" looks very out-of-place, and chrome make it worse. I thought it might looks fine in-person; but having drive a loaner one for a week I just refuse to stare at the front end. Why bmw, why. The pre-LCI x-line is elegant and I don't mind getting one, but this is not something I would consider. It is even more confusing why BMW stop calling it x-line instead "sports" to confuse people with "m-sports" - I cannot associate this design with sports.

Older E-series:
I don't see many of them still on the road, so not including them to my ranking. Curious to hear what everyone else thought, even it is very different from my opinion.

Last edited by aaaaaaaaaz; 10-31-2023 at 10:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2023, 11:32 PM   #2
Photographer918
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X5, Tundra, Telluride

G05 - but it may be a combo of recency bias and the fact that it's my first BMW - >E70 - love the lines - >E53, then finally in dead last the F15...... :-)
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2023, 11:37 PM   #3
BeEmVee
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 xDrive 40i

The G05 LCI backside is really, really nice! Iconic now and iconic later.
Appreciate 0