01-25-2022, 08:48 PM   #1
breslaw
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: x5 45e

X5 45e Electric Range

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
I have a 2022 45e and I was surprised that I got 40 miles in Electric Mode. The car is rated 31 but I know the European models get a higher range. Although I'm happy about this, I would like to understand it. When I charged it from empty it used 22kWh. I was expecting the max to be 17kWh. Is it possible BMW has increased the battery range and usage to equal the European standard?
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2022, 09:20 PM   #2
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by breslaw View Post
I have a 2022 45e and I was surprised that I got 40 miles in Electric Mode. The car is rated 31 but I know the European models get a higher range. Although I'm happy about this, I would like to understand it. When I charged it from empty it used 22kWh. I was expecting the max to be 17kWh. Is it possible BMW has increased the battery range and usage to equal the European standard?
no. those extra kWh are losses during the charging process. in the EU, they report pumping back in 24-25kWh when charging from empty. here in the MidAtlantic during the warmer seasons, i also get about 40miles per full charge.

curious: are you basing those 40 miles off actual driven mileage or the amount of electric range displayed on the instrument cluster after fully charging your battery? if the latter, that's a "moving target/range" based on your driving characteristics from the most recent 18 miles or so. if you drove gingerly, it reflects a higher electric range; if you were a lead foot, then it'll reflect a lower electric range.
Appreciate 1
      01-26-2022, 12:16 AM   #3
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

Just like when driving an ICE, under different circumstances, your mileage will change. The EPA estimates are based on driving at particular speeds with specific accelerations that TRY to approximate how an average person drives, but who's average?

On the 45e, where all of the HVAC functionality is via the HV battery, anything that uses electricity, a/c, heating, lights, radio, seat heaters, etc., will affect your total available range. Drag goes up non-linearly so the faster you drive, the more drag, so your range will go down, too. Lots of things affect range on both a PHEV and an ICE. 40-miles in the USA would not be average for most people, but is possible under some circumstances, especially if you're coming out of the mountains to the coast in CA.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2022, 12:36 AM   #4
javapro
Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 iX xDrive50 Sport

Quote:
That’s a lot of overhead for 17 KWh. Do you pre-condition several times while charging? Normal overhead without any pre-conditioning is around 1-2 kWh.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2022, 12:43 AM   #5
breslaw
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: x5 45e

The location is California, flat roads and temperature in mid 70’s. Range of 40 was actual miles driven.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2022, 01:23 AM   #6
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

Quote:
The location is California, flat roads and temperature in mid 70’s. Range of 40 was actual miles driven.
That's about the ideal situation for driving an EV...little HVAC needed, no hills to climb. As long as you don't drive it like a madman, obviously, doable. Throw in a trip where it's -10F, and things would be quite different!
Appreciate 0