BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-25-2022, 01:33 PM   #1
russcron
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 and BMW X3

How to access the right side lamp's forward stud ??

Hello Out There.

A telephone pole jumped into my right tail lamp so I am trying to replace it.

It looks like you need to remove the inside trim panel to gain access to the front stud on the lamp assembly. Does anyone have any tips on that? It appears that I need to remove a LOT of trim pieces and there must be a sequence to follow (?) Sure hope I'm missing something here.

This is a 2019 X5 40i. Many Thanks !!

Russ in WV.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2022, 07:43 PM   #2
BobsM3Coupe
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5MC

You need to unclip the fuse panel and behind some insulation is the nut you need to remove.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2022, 06:12 PM   #3
russcron
Rep

Thanks. That is a help. I also learned that you can get a socket on it thru the bag hanger. All the best. -Russ
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2022, 05:35 PM   #4
russcron
Rep

Well the reality is that you really don't need to pull the fuse block but it helps a little. The nut is not opposite the bag hanger. It is opposite the seat back release.

There are two T30 screws on the lamp at the rear. Pull the black plastic cover straight back to pop off two stud clips. So much for the easy part.

Remove the rectangular plastic frame that holds the 12V socket, bag clip and seat release. There is a hidden screw on the right. Then pry it out from right to left. This takes force. Don't pry the left end; it slips behind the inner panel.

With the panel to the side look for a flap in the sound proof material that will expose the 10mm nut. It is opposite the seat release lever. You need a 1/4" drive with a 12" extension. Use paper to jam the nut into the socket.

Reassembly of the frame and seat release housing is fiddley. The release must be behind the inner panel and the frame clips into it.

This should be more simple..
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2022, 10:03 PM   #5
Blueboxer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 535

Does the headlight have to be programmed/married to the ECU/DME? I recall that being an issue on my F10.
Appreciate 0