BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-28-2021, 12:21 PM   #1
snickryder
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW currently...

My winter setup for Colorado

I got my winter setup installed on the X5. I went with Neuspeed RSe103 wheels in 20x9 ET35 with Vredestein Wintrac Pro snow tires in 275/45/20 on all four corners. And while I didn't need it, I'm using a 3mm spacer up front to make sure I don't have snow/ice clearance issues with the M Sport brakes. I think the gloss bronze wheels work pretty well with the Phytonic Blue. All we need now is some snow.
Attached Images

12-02-2021, 12:00 PM   #2
yzlzr227
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: f80

I don't see a bmw option on their website, is this originally a vw/Audi option?
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2021, 03:18 PM   #3
Sydmmcc22
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50i

Looks great! Is the drive smooth? I'm also in CO and looking at potentially getting the same tires. Where did you get your wheels? Tire rack is out of stock for 20s.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2021, 11:19 PM   #4
snickryder
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by yzlzr227 View Post
Neuspeed doesn't list a BMW option but the G05 is the same basic fitment as the VW/Audi SUVs. If you give them a call they can walk you through options.
      12-02-2021, 11:21 PM   #5
snickryder
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydmmcc22 View Post
Looks great! Is the drive smooth? I'm also in CO and looking at potentially getting the same tires. Where did you get your wheels? Tire rack is out of stock for 20s.
Only a few miles on the setup so far but as smooth as the stock setup. Got the wheels direct from Neuspeed.

https://neuspeedrswheels.com/collect...d-rse103-88103
      12-03-2021, 11:32 AM   #6
Sydmmcc22
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50i

Thanks so much! This is my first time picking out wheels.

What am I looking for to make sure the dimension will fit with my X5? Other than 20 x 9. Can you let me know how the brakes influence the fit? I saw in other posts people talking about square setups and and spacers. How did you decide on the width of spacer for your M sport brakes?

No pressure to answer all of this if it's too detailed.
Appreciate 1
AAA59.00
      12-04-2021, 01:16 PM   #7
yzlzr227
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: f80

Quote:
Originally Posted by snickryder View Post
Quote:
Neuspeed doesn't list a BMW option but the G05 is the same basic fitment as the VW/Audi SUVs. If you give them a call they can walk you through options.
Got it, makes sense. I had neuspeed on my golf r before, love the wheel. Yours looks sick, great choice. Enjoy and thx
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2021, 10:23 AM   #8
snickryder
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Got it, makes sense. I had neuspeed on my golf r before, love the wheel. Yours looks sick, great choice. Enjoy and thx
Same here. I had a set on my old GTI. Liked them so much I had to get a set for the X5.
Attached Images

12-05-2021, 10:38 AM   #9
snickryder
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydmmcc22 View Post
Thanks so much! This is my first time picking out wheels.

What am I looking for to make sure the dimension will fit with my X5? Other than 20 x 9. Can you let me know how the brakes influence the fit? I saw in other posts people talking about square setups and and spacers. How did you decide on the width of spacer for your M sport brakes?

No pressure to answer all of this if it's too detailed.
It's both a simple and a complex answer. LOL First, you need to basics: wheels size (diameter and width), bolt pattern, center bore and offset. All of that will tell you if the wheel "should" fit. But then you have some additional things to consider to find out if the wheel "does" fit, like the shape of the barrel, shape of the spokes, how much dish the wheels have, and more to determine clearance.

When I called Neuspeed to discuss, they contacted BMW for the profile specs of the M Sport brakes and came back saying they "do" fit. So, I ordered them. When I received them, I taped everything up with painters tape and did a test fit by hand. While they did fit, the clearance on the back of the spokes was really close to the leading edge of the caliper. Too close for my liking and I didn't want snow/ice/crap to get in there and wear away at the spoke or caliper. So, I added a really thin 3mm spacer that would allow for some extra clearance and allow me to use the wheel bolts that came with the wheels. There is a minimum engagement for each wheel bolt style that you need to pay attention to as well.

All that research done and you get a wheel that fits your setup, is safe and looks good too (purely subjective though). Obviously, I've glossed over a few things. If you have questions about what all of the above means, you can check hear for some information that might help.

BimmerWorld Wheel Tech

If you still need some help, because as you can see it gets complicated, then give a place like BimmerWorld or Neuspeed a call and they will help you walk through the process.

Good luck!
      11-30-2022, 08:24 PM   #10
Yas850t
Enlisted Member
No_Country
Rep
Drives: MK7.5 GOLF R, Volvo V60 T-6 RD

My winter setup for Colorado

I'm considering getting a set of RSe103 wheels as my winter set, but I'm debating between 20x9.5 ET25 or 20x9 ET35.

snickryder, Did you consider getting a set of 20x9.5 ET25 instead of 20x9 ET35 with a 3mm spacer?
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2022, 10:55 PM   #11
snickryder
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yas850t View Post
I'm considering getting a set of RSe103 wheels as my winter set, but I'm debating between 20x9.5 ET25 or 20x9 ET35.

snickryder, Did you consider getting a set of 20x9.5 ET25 instead of 20x9 ET35 with a 3mm spacer?
I did and I really didn't want to use a spacer in the winter. I do run 10mm/15mm spacers on the stock wheels for summer. So, I'm not opposed to them, just didn't want them in winter. Just more places/parts for the mag-chloride to get in and cause problems.

The 20x9 is a direct fit with conical lug bolts provided by Neuspeed. No sourcing longer bolts (which Neuspeed does not offer), the 275/45 tires fit perfectly (and tuck into the wheel well a little which helps with winter crap getting caught by the mud flaps), no issues, just easy.

Hope that helps!
      11-30-2022, 10:58 PM   #12
snickryder
Private
United_States
Rep

Funny, I just read my original post and I said I did use a spacer up front. I didn't put that on this winter cause it wasn't in the box with the bolts. I honestly don't even remember that. LOL! So, I wonder what I did with those!?!? 🤔
      12-01-2022, 12:34 PM   #13
Yas850t
Enlisted Member
No_Country
Rep
Drives: MK7.5 GOLF R, Volvo V60 T-6 RD

Quote:
Quote:

I did and I really didn't want to use a spacer in the winter. I do run 10mm/15mm spacers on the stock wheels for summer. So, I'm not opposed to them, just didn't want them in winter. Just more places/parts for the mag-chloride to get in and cause problems.

The 20x9 is a direct fit with conical lug bolts provided by Neuspeed. No sourcing longer bolts (which Neuspeed does not offer), the 275/45 tires fit perfectly (and tuck into the wheel well a little which helps with winter crap getting caught by the mud flaps), no issues, just easy.

Hope that helps!
Thank you and this is very helpful! After reading your comments, I think I'm going with 20x9 ET35. Now I have to decide if I want go with a bronze set or black set for my Carbon Black X5.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2022, 04:00 PM   #14
snickryder
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Hope that helps!
Thank you and this is very helpful! After reading your comments, I think I'm going with 20x9 ET35. Now I have to decide if I want go with a bronze set or black set for my Carbon Black X5.
Awesome!! I don't think you could go wrong with either choice. 👍