BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

10-04-2021, 02:15 PM   #1
apocalypsbe
First Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep
Drives: X5 G05 45e

X5 45e drivetrain issue message - no longer consuming electricity in sport mode

I had a drivetrain issue on my X5 45e which was checked by BMW. It has not happened again but my car is no longer consuming electricity in sport mode. Before it would drain the electric range down to nearly nothing if I drive around in sport mode to then charge that up again to about 15km of electric range.

Is something broken or did I miss some kind of update that changed this principle?

I've got another appointment on thursday to check the drivetrain oil to make sure it isn't dirty because of the earlier drivetrain issue message.

I'm not confident in how well or not my car is functioning right now. Not sure what i'll do with it? might opt for getting a new one even based on my worries that this might all be way worse than initially thought although it's only 2 years and some months old …

Let me know thoughts / confirm/deny what I was thinking above
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2021, 01:47 AM   #2
mlurker
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW G05 X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by apocalypsbe View Post
I had a drivetrain issue on my X5 45e which was checked by BMW. It has not happened again but my car is no longer consuming electricity in sport mode. Before it would drain the electric range down to nearly nothing if I drive around in sport mode to then charge that up again to about 15km of electric range.

Is something broken or did I miss some kind of update that changed this principle?

I've got another appointment on thursday to check the drivetrain oil to make sure it isn't dirty because of the earlier drivetrain issue message.

I'm not confident in how well or not my car is functioning right now. Not sure what i'll do with it? might opt for getting a new one even based on my worries that this might all be way worse than initially thought although it's only 2 years and some months old …

In sport mode is uses electric motor up to 65 +- MPH if you have engine set to "comfort" mode in SPORT INDIVIDUAL settings.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2021, 02:37 AM   #3
apocalypsbe
First Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlurker View Post
Quote:

In sport mode is uses electric motor up to 65 +- MPH if you have engine set to "comfort" mode in SPORT INDIVIDUAL settings.
update: they think it's because of valvotronic module and it's scheduled for reprogramming

they will also check the drivetrain oil after I had it checked at a service point and it appears to be pitch black coloured (not normal??)

they ensured me they take the issue serious and will get to the bottom of this
Appreciate 1
      10-25-2021, 11:15 PM   #4
mlurker
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
update: they think it's because of valvotronic module and it's scheduled for reprogramming

they will also check the drivetrain oil after I had it checked at a service point and it appears to be pitch black coloured (not normal??)

they ensured me they take the issue serious and will get to the bottom of this
Did you try to change sport mode engine settings?
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2021, 12:05 AM   #5
ksavostin
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5-45e

Hm, I have never seen that electric range is getting less while I drive in sport mode.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2021, 12:14 AM   #6
apocalypsbe
First Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksavostin View Post
Hm, I have never seen that electric range is getting less while I drive in sport mode.
Quote:
They reprogrammed the valvotronic and now it charges up again like before. I don't notice anything at all for the rest, the car drives fine.

The oil of the transmission is coloured pitch black which I was assuming to be abnormal since normally you would expect it to be translucent to some degree.

They told me they took oil out of transmission of a newer X5 and it looks the same. According to the garage there is nothing wrong with my transmission oil.

I'm still in doubt though… engineers that I talk to say there has to be a reason why the oil is so black, either it overheats (or overheated at some point) or there is something else (a rubber or something) that tears down a bit and gives the oil the black colour. The garage says its perfectly fine though.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2021, 11:54 AM   #7
mlurker
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
The car drives on electricity in sport individual mode with engine set to comfort mode when driver doesn't floor accelerator up to speeds of 65-67 mph.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2021, 08:54 AM   #8
aelorah
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18’ M3 comp & 21’ X5 45e

In sport mode, the harvesting is at the most maximum value so we should not see battery drain…….oil color is interesting though.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2021, 03:51 PM   #9
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

Where and how you drive will determine how much regeneration you'll be able to achieve. It appears that in sport mode, it acts more like a manual transmission, and depending on the gear you're in, letting off the accelerator pedal acts like you're in a lower gear, retarding your forward motion like you'd get in a lower gear of a manual, rather than coasting. Regeneration is never as efficient as the energy required to get you to speed. On a long cruise in sport mode, you may not see much regeneration, so the amount of battery charge could differ.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2021, 09:49 PM   #10
ksavostin
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5-45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlurker View Post
The car drives on electricity in sport individual mode with engine set to comfort mode when driver doesn't floor accelerator up to speeds of 65-67 mph.
I know, comfort setting in "sport" mode just turns into Hybrid mode; it uses electric until 65 mph and gas if you go above that . I mean when a car engine is set to a sport mode (not comfort), I've never seen electric range go down..
Appreciate 0