BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

10-29-2021, 09:43 PM   #23
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

Does the ProTool program get updated regularly to account for the latest firmware versions of the vehicle? Otherwise, it may be trying to change things that may not be in the right place or order, or even available?

IOW, is it smart enough to detect the current installed version and adjust, if required?
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2021, 03:44 AM   #24
walkday
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 xDrive45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjbender View Post
You guys have scared me. I was going to use Pro Tools, but now I think I'll pay a shop to code it for me. I would use Esys, but my understanding is that Esysx is needed too, and it is not available now.
You do not have to use Esysx, though using it will make things easier for you. Based on many hours' reading online, I would summarize the software requirements as follows:

1. watch this video and his other videos to learn the concepts
2. download the three files:
E-Sys_Setup-3.27.1 installation file
v.4.31.41_PSdZData_Lite.rar (most recent I found today)
E-Sys Launcher PRO 2.8.2_Build_162b BFU Edition.rar
from forums
3. Install the three files in the order they are given above; in particular, follow the guy's instructions to install E-Sys Launcher Pro
4. Find g05's cheat codes in an XML file. Save it in C:\Program Files (x86)\TokenMaster\E-Sys Launcher PRO\FDLCodes; launch E-Sys Launcher PRO and click on "FDL Cheat Codes" to check a box in the xml filename.
5. Go to your X5, hook the ENET cable to X5 and your laptop, enter DIAG MODE by quickly pressing the start button 3 times.
6. Follow the steps in the original post, but just do the steps in E-sys. Again, the video should've given you the steps.

Comment: Since the guy in the video had a different BMW, we must choose the right TargetSelector during Open Connection in E-Sys. Choose the latest one with Project=S18A and VehicleInfo=S18A for X5 g05.

Last edited by walkday; 10-30-2021 at 03:52 AM..
Appreciate 1
ladra17.50
      10-30-2021, 02:55 PM   #25
Abdulllh
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkday View Post
I ran into the same problem. Not sure if it was the same step that caused the problem -- for me, ProTool messed up my BDC's Sector 7. I had the car fixed at the dealership but people in the forum say you can solve it using ESys. The learning curve is steep if you never used it before.
I couldn't fix it by Esys, have you tried protool again after fixing sector 7?
I think I wouldn't although I really want Antidazzle so bad.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2021, 03:46 PM   #26
walkday
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdulllh View Post
I couldn't fix it by Esys, have you tried protool again after fixing sector 7?
I think I wouldn't although I really want Antidazzle so bad.
No, I won't try ProTool on the BDC again until it updates to support the latest i-step.

To fix it, try this:
1. install
> E-Sys 3.36.2 (just itself, no need to install or use E-Sys Launch Pro)
> v.4.31.41_PSdZData_Lite.rar (expand to the data folder in use by E-Sys 3.36.2)

2. in E-Sys 3.36.2

Connect => Select latest target with VehicleInfo=S18A (avoid the DIRECT choice) => Read FA (VO) => Activate FA (VO) => Read ECU => Left-Click on desired FRM (e.g. BDC that was messed up by ProTool) => Click on "Detect CAF for SWE" => Select the CAFD from latest I-Level shown (bottom) => Select OK => Right-Click on FRM (the ECU itself not the underlying CAFD) => Select CODE => Cycle Ignition of your X5.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2021, 08:17 PM   #27
wjbender
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 40i M Sport

Can anyone point me to where I can download the latest cheat sheet and Esys files
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2021, 08:10 PM   #28
wjbender
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 40i M Sport

I just had Ben from RG Sport remote code mine and its working perfect.
Appreciate 1
Bearco65.00
      11-10-2021, 09:16 AM   #29
Abdulllh
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Quote:
No, I won't try ProTool on the BDC again until it updates to support the latest i-step.

To fix it, try this:
1. install
> E-Sys 3.36.2 (just itself, no need to install or use E-Sys Launch Pro)
> v.4.31.41_PSdZData_Lite.rar (expand to the data folder in use by E-Sys 3.36.2)

2. in E-Sys 3.36.2

Connect => Select latest target with VehicleInfo=S18A (avoid the DIRECT choice) => Read FA (VO) => Activate FA (VO) => Read ECU => Left-Click on desired FRM (e.g. BDC that was messed up by ProTool) => Click on "Detect CAF for SWE" => Select the CAFD from latest I-Level shown (bottom) => Select OK => Right-Click on FRM (the ECU itself not the underlying CAFD) => Select CODE => Cycle Ignition of your X5.
Hello sir
can you please help me remote code this ?
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2021, 09:22 AM   #30
jrhubott
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 35D

Quote:
You do not have to use Esysx, though using it will make things easier for you. Based on many hours' reading online, I would summarize the software requirements as follows:

from forums
3. Install the three files in the order they are given above; in particular, follow the guy's instructions to install E-Sys Launcher Pro
4. Find g05's cheat codes in an XML file. Save it in C:\Program Files (x86)\TokenMaster\E-Sys Launcher PRO\FDLCodes; launch E-Sys Launcher PRO and click on "FDL Cheat Codes" to check a box in the xml filename.
5. Go to your X5, hook the ENET cable to X5 and your laptop, enter DIAG MODE by quickly pressing the start button 3 times.
6. Follow the steps in the original post, but just do the steps in E-sys. Again, the video should've given you the steps.

Comment: Since the guy in the video had a different BMW, we must choose the right TargetSelector during Open Connection in E-Sys. Choose the latest one with Project=S18A and VehicleInfo=S18A for X5 g05.
I'm unable to find E-Sys Launcher PRO 2.8.2_Build_162b BFU Edition.rar if anyone has info on finding it please PM me or put it in this thread.

Thanks,

Jason
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2021, 07:11 PM   #31
mlurker
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW G05 X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by wall_nut View Post
I don't have laser lights. it still works.

I should add... unless you drive at night a lot.... probably not worth doing all this. Just my opinion...I don't find it to be substantially better.
Do you have LED or Lazer lights?
I did it on LED and noticed that now high beam is activated on speeds above 20 mph and looks like low beam is a little bit higher. Didn't drive much to test it.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2022, 06:16 PM   #32
mlurker
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW G05 X5 45e

Update on Anti-Dazzle Coding after recent road trip:

- have X5 with LED headlights
- It activates on the speeds of ~25 mph+
- On the highways if there is a car in front or oncoming traffic, it keeps left or right high beam active and moves it to left or right adding more light coverage in the corners, what's very helpful
- overall it makes night driving easier and safer. I would definitely prefer to have it
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2022, 06:53 PM   #33
JimVR4
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 M50i M-Sport

@mlurker Thanks for the update. I'll probably code this on my M50i with LED lights soon
      02-18-2022, 04:27 PM   #34
Sample
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 335i/G05 X5 xDrive40i

Quote:

from forums

Has anyone tried this method for Anti Dazzle on a G05? Can you FDL Code AntiDazzle on a G05 with Launcher Pro 2.8.2 Build 162b BFU Edition, instead of EsysX? From most posts on this forum it seems that you need EsysX for FDL coding on a G05.

Is the jokinawa.xml from this thread the file that will allow you to do it?
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2022, 02:20 AM   #35
walkday
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sample View Post
Has anyone tried this method for Anti Dazzle on a G05? Can you FDL Code AntiDazzle on a G05 with Launcher Pro 2.8.2 Build 162b BFU Edition, instead of EsysX? From most posts on this forum it seems that you need EsysX for FDL coding on a G05.

Is the jokinawa.xml from this thread the file that will allow you to do it?
The last OTA iDrive update wiped off the anti-dazzle feature on my g05. So three weeks ago, I did the coding again. Let me explain the steps, so you can do them yourself.

1. I watched the video very quickly again, just to refresh my memory. Note this guy had a different BMW, which has different modules from g05.

2. I found both E-Sys 3.27.1 and E-Sys 3.26.2 already installed on my laptop. Either one shall work, as long as you can launch it successfully.

I downloaded PSdZData Lite v4.33.12 and installed the data for either of the above E-sys. Since v4.33.12 came out much later than 2021.7, it covers the iDrive version 2021.7 on my g05.

I didn't bother with any cheat codes xml files. I used E-Sys without cheat codes.

3. Connect: OBD3 port -- ENET cable -- USB-C Ethernet Adapter -- My laptop

In E-Sys,
4. Load VO (a.k.a. FA) by clicking on Read (ECU) and save it as a backup file
5. Remove 5AP from the VO list, save the list, activate the list. Note: there is no need to write the VO list to the vehicle.
6. Code the updated VO list to BDC, HU, KAFAS, LHM_L, & LHM_R

Now, I did Step 7 in ProTool because I already have it. You can do it in E-Sys manually; see 7A below.

7. Update ProTool to the latest version and open it to sync account.

Enable Airplane mode. Re-plug the USB-C to my Android 11 phone. Go to Tether settings and enable Ethernet tethering.

Open ProTool, connect to the vehicle and go to the KAFAS module. Find the "popular" coding option called Anti-Dazzle. It works like a shortcut to apply a bunch of parameters once.

-----------------

ProTool can do steps 4--6 without E-Sys. But, I don't trust the ProTool App to VO code any module. It broke my g05 last time. So, I only used ProTool to only feature code the KAFAS module, which basically edits some parameters.

You don't have to use ProTool if you know how to FDL Code those parameters in E-Sys.

7A. Watch this video, where the guy did FDL coding without a cheat-sheet xml (thus unlike the guy in the video above)

In E-Sys, go to KAFAS --> Right click on CAFDxxx --> Read Coding Data --> FDL Coding --> apply Lines 95--99 in this spreadsheet
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2022, 02:46 PM   #36
Sample
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
You don't have to use ProTool if you know how to FDL Code those parameters in E-Sys.

7A. Watch this video, where the guy did FDL coding without a cheat-sheet xml (thus unlike the guy in the video above)

In E-Sys, go to KAFAS --> Right click on CAFDxxx --> Read Coding Data --> FDL Coding --> apply Lines 95--99 in this spreadsheet
I just tried to do the FDL coding part (step 7A). The Function Values that you're supposed to see from the Cheat Sheet (COUNTRY_VARIATION, C_FLA_BS_ENTER_THRESH, etc.) do not show correctly. They only show numbers instead of the text. I'm guessing this is why Esysx is needed for the G05. Are you able to see the text when you try to FDL code with your install of Esys? I also didn't have LHM_L & LHM_R to VO Code, but I read newer cars don't have these modules.
Attached Images

Last edited by Sample; 02-19-2022 at 03:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2022, 02:51 PM   #37
Sample
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

Now, I did Step 7 in ProTool because I already have it. You can do it in E-Sys manually; see 7A below.

7. Update ProTool to the latest version and open it to sync account.

Enable Airplane mode. Re-plug the USB-C to my Android 11 phone. Go to Tether settings and enable Ethernet tethering.

Open ProTool, connect to the vehicle and go to the KAFAS module. Find the "popular" coding option called Anti-Dazzle. It works like a shortcut to apply a bunch of parameters once.

-----------------

ProTool can do steps 4--6 without E-Sys. But, I don't trust the ProTool App to VO code any module. It broke my g05 last time. So, I only used ProTool to only feature code the KAFAS module, which basically edits some parameters.

I decided to use Esys for the VO Coding and then used ProTool for the "FDL" coding. Using the "Popular" option didn't seem to code Country_Variation and C_FLA_CC_MESSAGE_3. I did those manually in Expert and verified all the other settings mentioned were coded. I coded a G05 on 11/2021.30.

I used a USB-C to Ethernet Adapter and ENET cable with a Galaxy S8. To get this to work I had to set a static IP address (found in the manual):
IP - 169.254.250.250
Netmask - 255.255.0.0
DNS - 0.0.0.0
Gateway - 0.0.0.0

Last edited by Sample; 03-01-2022 at 11:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2022, 04:21 PM   #38
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

I haven't decided if I want to do this or not. I was hoping the recent NHTSA information would have allowed it to be enabled as it exists in the vehicle now, but that is NOT the case. While the concept of anti-dazzle is now legal, they just released the requirements for it, and those are not the same as it is currently implemented. Canada recently allowed it to be enabled by dealers (about a one-hour labor cost per the info on the BMWs) for ANY vehicle that had passed one of the two different regional tests (primarily in Europe). The US test requirements are a bit more stringent, so depending on how it is actually implemented, it may or may not work without changes that, if it includes hardware changes, probably won't happen as a retrofit. If it's software only, there's a chance. One thing the NHTSA system requires is a higher sample rate than seems typical of those already out there. The existing system has up to 2-seconds to decode a target and adjust the beam. This is so that it can respond quicker to a pop-up 'target' that you'd discover on a curve. 'Seeing' a target on a straight road is pretty easy, and you can judge the distance by the changes in size and the camera should be able to see where the beam is in relation to it. From what I've read, it doesn't work when vehicles have blown lights as reliably, but it's supposed to work on motorcycles...have a vehicle with one taillight out, and half the vehicle might be blasted with your high beam. Same might occur with someone with a headlight out. If it was on the driver's side, it could be really blinding for them!

So, five things to consider:
1. technically, it's still illegal as it hasn't been certified in the USA
2. it will take awhile before it gets tested and certified
3. BMW may or may not do the update for free (hopefully, it can be done via an OTA update for free - worst case, something like Canada is doing would be nice).
4. if it takes hardware updates to comply, we are highly unlikely to get it to work unless you 'cheat' and code it yourself. Just the higher sample rate might require a hardware change so that the computer can analyze each sample properly before considering the next one, plus, that might also require more memory
5. a standard OTA update is highly likely to nullify your coding, so if you can't do it yourself, you'll pay again to get it turned back on.

If I drove a lot at night, I'd probably do it, but I don't. Most of my driving is around town with lit streets, and it wouldn't function anyways.

From an annual vehicle inspection viewpoint, it should still pass with the high-low beam functionality of the lever as it does today by pushing the lever away, you get high beams, and in the rearward position you either get auto or low-beam.

As an aside, ProTool appears to run on a WIN machine if you get one of the emulators. I did not buy the license, so did not hook it up to my vehicle, but you can download the app, and it does run on mine with the BlueStacksX emulator.

Last edited by jad03060; 02-21-2022 at 04:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2022, 03:27 PM   #39
JimVR4
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 M50i M-Sport

It's a little challenging to follow the ProTool procedure by pictures so I created this text version to print out and follow in the car. I haven't coded yet so appreciate if anyone wants to double check it.

Code:
Remove 5AP (Anti dazzle decoding) from Vehicle Order
• Vehicle > VehicleOrder > Edit
• Backup with a filename of "VO_Pre_Dazzle"
• Uncheck 5AP > Actions > Save
• Radio System (Headunit) > dismiss
Safety > CAS/BDC > BDC Module
• Use Edit Coding to backup all 7 sectors one by one
• Factory Code > Coding > Code All > Code
Interior KAFAS (Camera System)
• Use Edit Coding to backup both sectors one by one
Safety > LHM_L & LHM_R
• Use Edit Coding to backup 2 sectors
Radio System (Headunit)
• Use Edit Coding to backup all sectors one by one
Feature Coding
Interior KAFAS (Camera System)
• Coding > Edit Coding > Sector 2- 000040F9 > Backup
• Expert Mode setting in 3100 Common
•  Country_Variation > Europe_Rc > Confirm (was USA_RC)
• Expert Mode setting in 3102 Light Detection
•  C_FLA_CC_MESSAGE_3 > No_Cc_Message > Confirm (was cc_message_Active)
•  C_FLA_COUNTRY_WITH_MULTIPLE_REFLECTORS > active > confirm (was Inactive)
•  C_FLA_US_SENSITIVITY_MODE > Normal > confirm (was Usa)
•  C_FLA_BS_ENTER_THRESH > Rest Of World > confirm (was Usa)
•  C_FLA_BS_EXIT_THRESH > Rest Of World > confirm (was Usa)
      05-26-2022, 06:17 PM   #40
JonArcher06033
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50E

Garage List
2020 840i GC  [0.00]
Protocols not working to code?

Received my 22 X7 Monday; using protools with coding license.

It can read VO, and edit …
However when I go in to edit the modules, it says they cannot be read/coded.

Any ideas?
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2022, 10:52 PM   #41
wall_nut
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5 x45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonArcher06033 View Post

Any ideas?
Only thing that I can think of is make sure your vehicle is in diagnostics mode. If that's not it try reaching out to their support email.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2022, 01:52 AM   #42
Almaretto
Major General
Rep
Drives: Test Vehicles

Quote:
Only thing that I can think of is make sure your vehicle is in diagnostics mode. If that's not it try reaching out to their support email.
Diagnostic mode or engine running so all ECUs can be read.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2022, 10:56 AM   #43
JonArcher06033
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50E

Garage List
2020 840i GC  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

Any ideas?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almaretto View Post
Quote:
Diagnostic mode or engine running so all ECUs can be read.

I wasn't in beta test mode. Protools Facebook group was externally helpful. Took a couple clicks and got it done in about 20 minutes.

Works great on 2022 X7 M50i.

I don't drive much at night these days for some reason, but it does work well - as expected.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2022, 02:31 PM   #44
BigErnM
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X7 M50i

Quote:
I wasn't in beta test mode. Protools Facebook group was externally helpful. Took a couple clicks and got it done in about 20 minutes.

Works great on 2022 X7 M50i.

I don't drive much at night these days for some reason, but it does work well - as expected.
I was having the same issue as you and didn't want to use facebook. But they replied to me over email in an hour or so on the weekend which was impressive to me. I also just got a 2022 X7 M50i. Can you post what steps you took? Did you follow the protools steps given a few posts up or did you just do the Anti Dazzle Step 1 and Step 2 areas inside the popular section in ProTool.
Appreciate 0