10-29-2021, 06:33 AM   #2927
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by F32Fleet View Post
Claim: You should be able to lift your body weight when performing a squat, deadlift, and power clean before you think about using a lifting belt.

Thoughts?
Squat and deadlift yes. Power clean, not necessarily - this is a much more explosive movement and you want to be careful. The point is that you do not want to become belt dependent. Increase your core strength so you are not relying on something to keep your core tight.
Appreciate 1
F32Fleet3539.50
      10-29-2021, 08:11 AM   #2928
SpartanGA
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M4 Comp F83

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridaorange View Post
Every 5-10 posts, I'll see someone praise TRT. Surely there must be a downside or no?
I feel it should be used only if, when tested, your levels are low. If your body produces an appropriate amount, don't supplement. Once you supplement, as mentioned previously on this thread, it is difficult to restart your production. Therefore it's possible you need to continue to supplement forever. Also, if you care, it can shrink your balls. You must see the prescribing doctor to manage your hormone levels and evaluate your liver function. An ultrasound of your balls once a year is the highlight.
You have to be comfortable drawing the T and injecting it into your hip/ass. It is a reasonably sizeable long needle.
Appreciate 1
      10-29-2021, 02:05 PM   #2929
heitzke
Captain
Rep
Drives: '15 M4 base, '04 Cobra

Quote:
Claim: You should be able to lift your body weight when performing a squat, deadlift, and power clean before you think about using a lifting belt.

Thoughts?
Can't really speak to cleans as I don't regularly do them, but generally i'd loosely agree with this. I think belts are standard weightlifting equipment and it's worth buying a good one like an Inzer, Pioneer, SBD, etc. If you're going to belt-up, get one that'll keep you taut.

Also really depends on the individual, current strength, prior injuries, weaknesses, etc. I don't belt-up until i'm squatting > 365 or pulling > 405. I obviously didn't start at these weights and my core wasn't strong enough to handle it until after a few years of training.
      10-29-2021, 02:07 PM   #2930
heitzke
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Every 5-10 posts I'll see someone praise TRT. Surely there must be a downside or no?
Like was mentioned, it's awful for sperm count and greatly lowers your chance of being able to have kids (if that's something you want in the future).

Otherwise, downsides are really just pinning yourself 1-2x a week for basically... forever. I don't love the process but deal with it because of how much better I feel on it.

Other downside for some is just the upkeep of blood panels, doc visits, etc. It's stuff you really NEED to do to stay healthy but it's just one more thing to keep up with.
      11-03-2021, 03:11 AM   #2931
///d
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 35d M Sport

Figured I'd jump in here for the random talk.

10 years ago before and during my first deployment I was in great shape. 5' 9", 155ish and tone. Then I got home and became lazy. Now I'm 37 and have been hovering around 175-180 and need to get rid of the mid section, love handles, and cheek fat. I got into the habit of eating too large of portions so now I usually have a banana or something similar for breakfast, no lunch, and try to stick to greens and proteins for dinner but in small amounts. Mon, Tues, Thurs, Fri I lift for about an hour and have my protein shake afterwards and that keeps me from getting hungry through the day. I haven't weighed myself lately, and looking in the mirror I don't see changes, but my pants and shirts are def starting to be big on me.

I did "injure" my left shoulder though. I thought it was my rotator cuff again as I injured that years ago in a motorcycle crash, but our PT contributes it to bad posture while working at a desk all day and now my tendons and such are irritated from lifting and being stretched out. I need to stop slouching forward. So theres that...

I need to start running again though. I don't mind running when I'm good at it, I hate getting back to that point.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2021, 11:36 AM   #2932
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep

Had the same mindset with running. Just need to start and continue. It'll come back. I hated it, but now I can go 5+ miles without thinking about it. Just go out there and cruise
Appreciate 1
      11-11-2021, 09:09 PM   #2933
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 bmw 320i xdrive

Always do a 5 min jog before you lift weights - then when you do feel like running your body is already fairly used to it. I also do high knees between sets when working out at home. Use it or lose it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Sounds pizzagatey.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2021, 08:04 PM   #2934
IJM Supra
Rep
Drives: 98 Toyota Supra

Quote:

Thoughts?
I wouldn't go out of my way to get proficient at power cleans to justify squating or deadlifting with a belt, I'd view it more that you squat heavy enough to consider using a belt during squats. otherwise I'd agree with that, its a fairly low bar, deadlifts I'd say unless female 1.5x-2x bodyweight. Ontop of that I would say even when you decide to get one and start using it, to only use it on heavier lifts, personally I don't even consider my belt if the weight is under 80-85% of my one rep max, you don't want to get too reliant on a belt and let it become a crutch that replaces core strength, it is there to supplement it.
Appreciate 1
heitzke1152.50
      11-15-2021, 07:39 AM   #2935
heitzke
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IJM Supra View Post
I wouldn't go out of my way to get proficient at power cleans to justify squating or deadlifting with a belt, I'd view it more that you squat heavy enough to consider using a belt during squats. otherwise I'd agree with that, its a fairly low bar, deadlifts I'd say unless female 1.5x-2x bodyweight. Ontop of that I would say even when you decide to get one and start using it, to only use it on heavier lifts, personally I don't even consider my belt if the weight is under 80-85% of my one rep max, you don't want to get too reliant on a belt and let it become a crutch that replaces core strength, it is there to supplement it.
Hard agree all around here. I've noticed a reliance on my belt over the last year or two of really heavy training so i'm taking some time off and doing a full training cycle of beltless work. Totally different ballgame for me.

Like, i'm a 500lb squatter all day but my core/bracing starts to fall apart somewhere around the 385-90 mark. Current working 5x5 is ~360 sans belt. There's at least another 40-50lbs I can add to this before getting back into belted work imo.

Some people legitimately don't use belts and move big weights safely - take Damien Pezzuti for example: https://www.instagram.com/damienpezzuti/?hl=en

Insanely nice movements with ridiculous core strength and bracing. Probably more the exception since I know of so few examples like him, but definitely some training inspiration.
      11-18-2021, 08:19 PM   #2936
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Try hanging for 2 minutes from pull-up bar, for those of you over 40. I did it today from my crappy door frame pull-up bar with legs bent (i'm 6'2 195lbs) it wasn't difficult until the last 20 seconds.

Report back

Quote:
Sounds pizzagatey.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2021, 11:43 PM   #2937
///d
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Try hanging for 2 minutes from pull-up bar, for those of you over 40. I did it today from my crappy door frame pull-up bar with legs bent (i'm 6'2 195lbs) it wasn't difficult until the last 20 seconds.

Report back
I have hang blocks for bouldering and rock climbing set up. Right now we are doing full hand hang 3 x's for 1 min at the end of our forearms day. The first one isn't bad, second round starts to suck about 30 seconds in, and the final round we get about 50 seconds before or hold gives away. Eventually we will work down to 4 finger hangs, then 3 finger, then 2 finger.

My Diesel Information Thread | My Wheels, Tires, and Fitment Thread | My Teardrop Camper Build | My F15 Suspension Lift Thread
Appreciate 1
      11-19-2021, 01:28 AM   #2938
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Nice - removing fingers would make things very interesting quick! bouldering/climbing - that's a sport I'd do way more of if I had convenient access to it.

Quote:
Sounds pizzagatey.
Appreciate 1
///d1807.00
      11-23-2021, 11:25 AM   #2939
SpartanGA
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///d View Post
I have hang blocks for bouldering and rock climbing set up. Right now we are doing full hand hang 3 x's for 1 min at the end of our forearms day. The first one isn't bad, second round starts to suck about 30 seconds in, and the final round we get about 50 seconds before or hold gives away. Eventually we will work down to 4 finger hangs, then 3 finger, then 2 finger.
Thats badass. I have shit hand/finger/grip strength.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2021, 08:13 AM   #2940
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep

Didn't make it to the gym at all last week with visiting the relatives. I did run 5 miles on Monday and Tuesday followed by a 5k Turkey Trot on Thursday. Other then that, just played some golf last week.

Finally back home in SC this week. Used Sunday as a rest day as I drove from 2am to 11:30am heading home - although I did manage to play 18 holes once I got back (walked the back 9). Yesterday was shoulders and biceps followed by a 3000m row, core work, and 15mins on the stair master. Today was Back and Triceps followed by the same cardio/core regimen mentioned above. Trying to lean back out as although I was active in a relative sense last week, I ate a ton and drank like a fish haha.

It should warm back up on the tailend of the week here, so I hope to run Wednesday-Friday coupled with my typical gym regimen. We will be staying put for Christmas this year, so I'm going to see what I can accomplish from now to then. Itching to get pretty lean, just need to stay dedicated. My biggest problem right now is that work always purchases a lot of snack and food around this time of year. So I always end up munching...
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2021, 11:59 AM   #2941
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep

Shoulders and biceps Tuesday. Chest on Wednesday. Took off yesterday as I missed my alarm clock, but got in there this morning for a good arm day. Have done my cardio on each day as well, ran 5 miles Tuesday and Wednesday. This morning was a 2500M row followed by core and 15 mins on the stairs (75 flights).

Feeling pretty good overall, leaned out as the week progressed so that is good. Plan to keep pushing basically until summer or short of that (planning a 2 wk Italy vacation is May if Covid doesn't keep making things difficult haha).

I really would like to get lean (~10% BF) this coming year. I've been that lean before, but it takes some effort. Just need to dial my late night snaking back. Tend to stay right around 15% year round.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2021, 12:55 PM   #2942
chassis
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 9Y0 Cayenne S

Garage List
Finally got back into the gym. I blame my lack of exercise on my travel schedule but that is a weak excuse.

Went to the nearest YMCA which was surprisingly good. Newish, clean and not too crowded at noon on a Sunday.

I am rehabbing a shoulder impingement from last winter's swimming season, so taking it easy. I did some machines with light weight, focusing on shoulder and rotator cuff. Then I did some time on a stationary bike, followed by a short swim to see how my shoulder felt. Some popping and crunching, but no pain.

I will stay with this schedule and slowly increase the pool yardage. My preferred workout is 1-1.5 miles in the pool. It will take some time before I get back to that distance.
Appreciate 2
JP102462.00
      12-06-2021, 12:27 AM   #2943
///d
Captain
United_States
Rep

Alright, I need some dumbell fly alternatives.

Long story short, I effed up my left shoulder years ago in a racebike crash. Now my left shoulder gets irritated easily. PT says it's my subscupalaris and/or my bicep tendon to the coracoid process. Normally I do cable crossover to target my inner chest on the cable machine, but I dont have a cable machine here, so I was doing laying down dumbell flys, but my PT said to ease up on them because it's irritating my shoulder, so I've switched to band flys off the squat rack uprights, but they just aren't targeting my inner chest. Whats a good alternative? We have a full size squat rack with free weights, some bands, and a adjustable bench. I have to be careful to not over-extend my range.

My Diesel Information Thread | My Wheels, Tires, and Fitment Thread | My Teardrop Camper Build | My F15 Suspension Lift Thread
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2021, 10:20 AM   #2944
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///d View Post
Alright, I need some dumbell fly alternatives.

Long story short, I effed up my left shoulder years ago in a racebike crash. Now my left shoulder gets irritated easily. PT says it's my subscupalaris and/or my bicep tendon to the coracoid process. Normally I do cable crossover to target my inner chest on the cable machine, but I dont have a cable machine here, so I was doing laying down dumbell flys, but my PT said to ease up on them because it's irritating my shoulder, so I've switched to band flys off the squat rack uprights, but they just aren't targeting my inner chest. Whats a good alternative? We have a full size squat rack with free weights, some bands, and a adjustable bench. I have to be careful to not over-extend my range.
Dumbbell Squeeze Bench Presses. You can also do these standing with lighter weights, just focus on your inner chest as you work. Shouldn't put much pressure on your bicep tendon as triceps/shoulders are more so your secondary muscle groups during that movement.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2021, 11:33 AM   #2945
chassis
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 9Y0 Cayenne S

Garage List
+1 bench press, or push ups

Gotta go old school sometimes
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2021, 01:16 PM   #2946
Oldgixxer
Captain
Rep
Drives: nothing fast

Motivation for training has been very low,so I've taken the last 10 days off. Still eating clean like I normally do. Everyone gets burnt out and needs a break,I'm enjoying the time away from the gym.
-'22 X3MC,'20 M550i,'18 X2,F30 328xi,'07 E63 AMG (1st W211 63 in the 11s),997 C4S Cab,CLS55 AMG,E55 AMG,C55AMG
Appreciate 1
      12-06-2021, 03:46 PM   #2947
SpartanGA
Captain
United_States
Rep

I finally got back to the gym today after a busy month of moving.

Unfortunately, I had a motorcycle accident Saturday, and my shoulder was sore...then I tried to lift dumbbells for flys, and I couldn't even get it up.... it didn't hurt as much as weakness. So I bailed and did arms. Guess I will take more time off. Frustrating.
Appreciate 1
      12-06-2021, 05:08 PM   #2948
Oldgixxer
Captain
Rep
Drives: nothing fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpartanGA View Post
I finally got back to the gym today after a busy month of moving.

Unfortunately, I had a motorcycle accident Saturday, and my shoulder was sore...then I tried to lift dumbbells for flys, and I couldn't even get it up.... it didn't hurt as much as weakness. So I bailed and did arms. Guess I will take more time off. Frustrating.
Damn sorry to hear that,heal up quickly!
Weather here has cooled down nicely so I'll be taking out the turbo bike(s) out this week,but the locals still can't drive for shit so I'm reluctant
-'22 X3MC,'20 M550i,'18 X2,F30 328xi,'07 E63 AMG (1st W211 63 in the 11s),997 C4S Cab,CLS55 AMG,E55 AMG,C55AMG
Appreciate 1