BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

12-01-2021, 09:42 PM   #1
b1st
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05, 992

Anyone have G05/6 w Air Suspension w non-run flats in LA area?

tldr:
Can I test drive your car w non-run-flats for a few mins? I have a headache issues and my new X5 w 20" RT air suspension isn't as comfortable as my current Cayenne.

I received my custom-ordered 2022 X5 e45 today! Came 2 weeks earlier than what my dealer had thought. Got all the goodies like Executive Package and ACC - but no touch screen as we all know I wanna say this is my 9th BMW but my very first non-pure-IC car. I'm really excited to finally use my charger I installed back in May and using less gas.

While the PHEV aspect was a big seller my main reason for getting this car was to replace my current 2021 Cayenne S w Air Suspension because I wanted it to be just a tad more comfortable. Long story short I have an ongoing headache issue that is exacerbated by driving over the crappy broken roads of LA. I've been on a long journey of finding a more and more comfortable car. For example when I switched from 2020 540i w 19" wheels to my current Cayenne my headaches vastly improved. And that 540i was a great improvement from my 2019 X3 m40i... etc.

I just drove around on the broken roads of La Cienega near Weho and finding that my new X5 w 20" Air Suspension is NOT as comfortable as my current Cayenne. I did test drive the X5 a couple times but couldn't find as crappy roads near the dealers as the central LA area I live in. I went by many car reviews that praised how comfortable the new X5 platform is and put some faith in it.

I know that getting non-run flats will improve the ride quality anywhere from negligible to dramatic depending on who you ask. I'd go ahead and do it but if it's not going to be as comfortable as my current Cayenne, I'd rather just trade back the X5 to the dealer and keep my Cayenne. I think if I do this within 15 days of delivery I don't have to pay the Cali sales tax.

So does anyone in the LA area have one w Air Suspension and non-run-flat I can test drive? I'd be happy to take you out for lunch or beer.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-11-2021, 09:50 AM   #2
b1st
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Went ahead and put on non-runflats. Ride is noticeably creamier with high-frequency imperfections on the road and takes extra edge off of big ones and speed bumps. It's still not as comfortable as the Cayenne w Air Suspension but good enough.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2021, 10:15 AM   #3
Stoshu
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X5 M50i

I’m glad to hear it has improved for you!

I have 20” RFT and air suspension on my 2021 X5 M50i and for me it rides great but my roads are in pretty good shape. Everyone is different, for some the ride is harsh and others describe it as floaty. Humans are diverse and wonderful beings!
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2021, 10:17 AM   #4
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
could the headaches be due to the 'new car off-gassing' and not the ride itself?
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2021, 11:44 AM   #5
gqgambler
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast & Furious

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1st View Post
Went ahead and put on non-runflats. Ride is noticeably creamier with high-frequency imperfections on the road and takes extra edge off of big ones and speed bumps. It's still not as comfortable as the Cayenne w Air Suspension but good enough.
Did you option for the spare on your new build?
Crappy roads and non-runflats with no spare would be a bad formula.
      12-11-2021, 11:58 AM   #6
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gqgambler View Post
Did you option for the spare on your new build?
Crappy roads and non-runflats with no spare would be a bad formula.
b1st has a 45e. space saver spare is not an option
Appreciate 1
b1st49.50
      12-11-2021, 12:28 PM   #7
gqgambler
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast & Furious

Quote:
Originally Posted by nZtiZia View Post
b1st has a 45e. space saver spare is not an option
missed that, thought it was a 40.
too bad, no spare...would recommend finding a solution.
      12-12-2021, 02:54 AM   #8
b1st
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

My headaches have been an ongoing medical issues for a while - off gassing didn't help but I think the biggest thing was the runflats and finding my happy sitting position (luxury seating). I've solved both and I think the G05 is just about as comfy as the Cayenne but in a different way. And then the G05 much quieter and its entertainment system isn't moronic so overall more comfy. Keeping the G05.
Appreciate 1
nZtiZia4591.00
      12-13-2021, 10:33 PM   #9
hiki08
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G05

What was the tire/wheel size on your Cayenne S?

I'm on 21" RFT on the X5 with air suspension and on Comfort it's vastly more comfortable than the Cayenne GTS with PASM (not air suspension) set on Comfort.

When the X5 is set to Sport Plus, I would say it is comparable to (or probably still a bit softer than) the Cayenne in Comfort.

Cayenne was also on 21" but non-RFT.

p.s. The blue in the laser headlights match well with the blue in the BMW roundel!
pps. I wanted non-RFT 21" but it's terribly hard to source those 315 rear wheels locally so I had to stick with RFT for this time around...
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2021, 10:45 PM   #10
e61it
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: bmw 545it

My 2016 2 cylinder air suspension Macan with 19" non-runflat all weather Michelins was considerably more compliant and comfortable than my x5 45e with triple cyinder air suspension. Speed bumps and miscellaneous road damage much more sharp and percussive than in the Macan. My X5 has 20" run-flat Perelli AS so perhaps that's the difference. But, still surprised it's so much less comfortable on bad road surfaces than the Macan. Lots to like about the X5 but Air Suspension not a winner.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2021, 08:22 AM   #11
Mile muncher
Private
Rep
Drives: Merc

If you’re missing that little bit of comfort and want peace of mind regarding the headaches, you might consider putting 19s on. And with non rf tires. I’d be curious to hear how air suspension + 19” tires (even with rf) compares with the 20” setup.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2021, 08:44 AM   #12
kingmonkeyjr
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3M40i, GLC63, E63s, Trackhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mile muncher View Post
If you're missing that little bit of comfort and want peace of mind regarding the headaches, you might consider putting 19s on. And with non rf tires. I'd be curious to hear how air suspension + 19" tires (even with rf) compares with the 20" setup.
I don't think m sport brakes fit the 19in wheel

Edit: just noticed he is xline. To be honest the ride is not bad at all with 21 RFT. Roads are fairly good here in San Diego but there are those areas.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2021, 09:59 AM   #13
hiki08
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mile muncher View Post
If you’re missing that little bit of comfort and want peace of mind regarding the headaches, you might consider putting 19s on. And with non rf tires. I’d be curious to hear how air suspension + 19” tires (even with rf) compares with the 20” setup.
I had 19" RFT Hankook's fitted before changing to 21" RFT Pirelli P-Zero... Can't say for the 20", but the change was very noticeable in terms of the sharpness of bumps and undulations from 19" to 21". However, perhaps with the lower profile tires on the 21", I felt that handling around bends improved somewhat with less lean.

As mentioned above, it was still much more comfortable than my other vehicle (on non-RFT Pirelli P-Zero), so I'd still make the change from 19" to 21" if I were to choose again.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2021, 11:09 AM   #14
robby818
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2

2020 X5 40i here. My car came with the staggered 21" wheels which looked great, especially on Black Sapphire Metallic, but the 21s were a little noisy and I could feel expansion joints despite having the Air Suspension option. Handling was great though.

I found the OEM 20" M Sport wheels on ebay and bought the Bridgestone OEM run-flats for a very low price. Immediate improvement in noise and ride quality.

2 years later, I am now going to switch to non run flat MICHELIN PREMIER LTX - SIZE: 275/45R20 to help eek out even more ride comfort and reduce noise. Honestly, the Bridgestone run-flats are really good, but I have a feeling the more compliant sidewall of the michelins will improve things further. I have an aftermarket spare tire so no worries there.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2021, 12:10 PM   #15
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingmonkeyjr View Post
I don't think m sport brakes fit the 19in wheel

Edit: just noticed he is xline.
OEM 19" wheels do clear M Sport brake calipers.

clearance concerns with 19" wheels on xLine models still apply for those with the tow hitch since the vehicle gets upgraded calipers which are the same as M Sport (just not painted)
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2021, 10:21 AM   #16
b1st
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiki08 View Post
What was the tire/wheel size on your Cayenne S?
20" on the Cayenne S too so as apples-to-apples as it gets. I considered 19s but felt they were just too small (same for when I was configuring the Cayenne) As for someone worrying about getting flats - I got a good flat-repair kit from griots garage. I also haven't had a flat in... 10 yrs?

It's been almost a month and I've really been enjoying the ride lately. The pure mechanical ride still isn't as comfy - but almost there. I think a factor is the massaging seats - I've been reading that massaging seats are harder because there's less padding. On the Cayenne I had 14-way seats and they were supremely comfy.

There are other non-suspension related things about the X5 45e that is alleviating my headaches and contributes to peace in my daily commute:

1. The 2.9T in the Cayenne S is a gem! But it makes a lot of drony noises at lower rpm. Long story short it was impossible to get the car to be in the most comfy suspension setting while also getting the transmission to be in a more aggressive mode to get rid of that lower-rpm drone. Shifting manually in Normal mode was way too laggy to be practical.

2. Cayenne automatically lowers itself at speeds above 80mpg no matter what. You can't override it. It's a subtle difference but the ride got slightly worse w the lowered suspension. So a lot of times I wouldn't drive at 80mph which got annoying at times.

3. My Cayenne was 2021 so still very new (maybe the face-lift will help) but the Porsche PCM is so annoying to use compared to BMW. That doesn't bother me in a sports car but in a daily it sometimes gave me anxiety which made my headaches worse. One prime example: there's no way to scroll through favorite radio stations - that's asinine. The Carplay would disconnect/freeze/etc at least a couple times a week. And if I'm driving somewhere new, I'd sometimes have to pull over from the highway, turn the car off and then on so that Carplay resets. Touch menu everything is stupid because you have to take your eyes off road. idrive is really the best and I'd missed it very much (I'd had 7 BMWs w idrive prior)

Overall I'm very happy w the 45e's daily abilities and getting rid of the run-flats was the best decision. The Cayenne S of course was much more fun to drive (it's a gentle beast in Sport+ mode) but these two cars were primarily for a 40-mile daily commute.

Merry Christmas!
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2021, 10:23 AM   #17
b1st
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Oh and the inline-6 sounds great at ANY rpm!
Appreciate 0