BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

12-02-2021, 02:37 PM   #1
Spitandpolish
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

Sat Nav best settings?

Hi All

On my 45e it’s taking a while to sort the best sat nav setup.
There is the main screen, the screen in the binnacle and the head up display and of course the voice that gives direction.

Four different sources is way too distracting and the voice gives three instructions not one, which can be confusing in a complex junction somewhere you have never been before.

Clearly it’s best to turn a couple of these inputs off, so the question is What do you turn on / off to give the right balance between enough data and too much distraction?
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2021, 02:47 PM   #2
mobilejo
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G06 X6 40i

I generally only have the sat nav in the HUD. You cannot have it in the HUD and the binnacle at the same time, so that eliminates one option automatically.

I turn off voice, as I do not find I need it. I also usually don't have the nave map open on the main screen. I may switch it to the nav map if I'm approaching a complex junction and the HUD map isn't clear enough. But generally I find the HUD to be ample.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2021, 10:37 PM   #3
kkratochvil
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW, X6, M50i

My typical "on the road" setup where I'd have a Navigation Destination set is as follows:
- I show everything I can in HUD and have guidance information going there...probably my primary source for driving decisioning...
- I'd have ACC going so my instrument panel display is going to be showing Assisted Driving View...so, no navigational guidance is showing-up in my instrument panel (or binnacle...learned a new word today!)
- I typically have the Map up on the Control Display, with a Split Screen. Both sides of the split are showing map data, the larger (left) one typically set to 400 yds zoom level with perspective (3-D) and the smaller (right) map showing a "Direction of Travel" 2-D perspective. If I'm out on the road, typically have the zoom level set to 2.5 miles. (I like to be able to see surrounding small towns, major roads, etc. on the right screen...less about navigation, more about learning about what I'm driving by!) If I'm in a busy city space, etc., then the right screen is zoomed in to something like 0.5 miles so that I can see all of the upcoming streets, etc. I also always have the screen set to "Reduced Height". With this last setting, it really gives you a full-screen set of maps with very little clutter.
- Voice directions are always turned off...I hate the voice directions. With Nav showing up in the HUD, if you don't see it popping up that there's a turn/change ahead, you're not looking at the road!

With the above, I'll then toggle my control screen to Home if I'm wanting to look at something else, take a look at the Media widget, etc., but then go back to Map for the steady-state...
      12-03-2021, 08:56 AM   #4
hiki08
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G05

I don't have HUD and the map in the driver monitor is way too simplistic that I never look at it other than sometimes to see the name of the road I'm on.

That leaves the centre screen and the voice. If it's an easy route and/or I have passengers on board that I don't want to disrupt, I would usually turn off voice commands (you can do so on the right hand column menu). It seems to remember it for the next time until I turn it on again. If the route is more complex which I'm unfamiliar with then I'd keep voice commands on, with the full centre screen filled with the map. Again, if it's a simple route, I would revert to my 'home' screen which always has half the screen as the map on the side closer to the driver.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2021, 10:45 AM   #5
Stoshu
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X5 M50i

I use the directions in the HUD mostly, I have the full screen map in the display on if I want to see time/distance to destination, otherwise I’ll have it on split screen with map on one side and media/traffic on the other.

I turn voice off mainly because it always wants to give directions over the best song or the most important piece of action in the game!
Appreciate 1
thereef5101163.00
      12-06-2021, 04:48 AM   #6
G Whizz UK
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G05 30dMSport

I use the HUD as my primary source. However, of the three options, I find that sometimes the binnacle gives a better idea of a complex junction/set of turnings.

I do usually have the map up on the main screen as well - more, not much else I'd need to show on it. I do wish the route was a little clearer sometimes on that map though.
I have voice turned off.
But I do have a 5th source - she's usually in the passenger seat ;-)
Appreciate 1
thereef5101163.00
      12-06-2021, 09:15 AM   #7
JimVR4
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 M50i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Whizz UK View Post
I have voice turned off.
But I do have a 5th source - she's usually in the passenger seat ;-)
Sometimes very difficult to turn off that last source
IFlyX5235.00
thereef5101163.00