BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-21-2021, 02:40 PM   #1
10101X5
Captain
Rep
Drives: 10101X101

Anyone with front sensors not working

A while back I noticed I randomly got no alerts when going into the garage. Recently it has happened more frequently even when pulling into a parking spot with cars on the sides. One time there was a wall in the front I wanted to see if I would get any alert so I kept inching but nothing at all. Anyone has this problem? And yes car has been clean as usual, no impacts. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2021, 02:54 PM   #2
lake_eleven
Laker
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

Sometimes I see this happen, especially when navigation is displayed full screen on the console. It takes time to switch to the sensor cameras, until it's very close to the object. May not be related, but my observation.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2021, 05:42 PM   #3
cantgobak
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S4

Yes, that’s what I have noticed as well!! I was asking my wife if she noticed, but she’s not into cars….. LOL Anyway, the sensor sensitivity point on the left front is definitely different than my previous 2018 X5 since I know exactly when it will start to chime when I drive into the garage. I was just talking to my wife about it last night and was thinking it may not be working at all….

So I just test it in my garage and asked my wife to walk around the car while I have it on D with foot on the brake. I also checked PDC volume setting and it’s set to 4 bars, no chime…. Now the screen did sense objects around the car. I know I would have heard chime with this test on2018 but is this how it works on 2022? Anyone noticed?
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2021, 06:40 PM   #4
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10101X5 View Post
A while back I noticed I randomly got no alerts when going into the garage. Recently it has happened more frequently even when pulling into a parking spot with cars on the sides. One time there was a wall in the front I wanted to see if I would get any alert so I kept inching but nothing at all. Anyone has this problem? And yes car has been clean as usual, no impacts. Thanks.
I have a new x5 and the rear corner sensors will consistently drop out after about 10 min of 60mph+ driving and I get a warning:

Which disables the side collision ... however on a recent trip the fault went away after about 15 min ... so, very odd.

My plan is to have it looked at during the 1200 mile break-in service.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2021, 07:35 PM   #5
10101X5
Captain
Rep

I get that warning once in a full moon but for the camera on the mirror. I thought that was odd. It asked me to clean the camera or saying something like camera was obstructed.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2021, 11:09 AM   #6
cantgobak
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantgobak View Post
Yes, that's what I have noticed as well!! I was asking my wife if she noticed, but she's not into cars….. LOL Anyway, the sensor sensitivity point on the left front is definitely different than my previous 2018 X5 since I know exactly when it will start to chime when I drive into the garage. I was just talking to my wife about it last night and was thinking it may not be working at all….

So I just test it in my garage and asked my wife to walk around the car while I have it on D with foot on the brake. I also checked PDC volume setting and it's set to 4 bars, no chime…. Now the screen did sense objects around the car. I know I would have heard chime with this test on2018 but is this how it works on 2022? Anyone noticed?
Quote:
Yes, that's what I have noticed as well!! I was asking my wife if she noticed, but she's not into cars….. LOL Anyway, the sensor sensitivity point on the left front is definitely different than my previous 2018 X5 since I know exactly when it will start to chime when I drive into the garage. I was just talking to my wife about it last night and was thinking it may not be working at all….

So I just test it in my garage and asked my wife to walk around the car while I have it on D with foot on the brake. I also checked PDC volume setting and it's set to 4 bars, no chime…. Now the screen did sense objects around the car. I know I would have heard chime with this test on2018 but is this how it works on 2022? Anyone noticed?
Update on my aforementioned sensor issue… so it turns out the sensor sensitivity points of 2022 isn't different than 2018. Still a mystery but the exact points of alerts when I drove 2018 X5 came back on my 2022 X5 right after I gave it a wash through the duck (I know what some of you maybe thinking…. but family with two little ones now my priorities shifted and I just don't baby my cars as much as I used to be versus when I was single…..). Anyways, I know I'm not crazy, just want to share this update and capture it here as part of my journal. Perhaps, smart ones on this forum here can solve the mystery…. To rule it out, for sure it was not because it was too dirty since the dealer did a wash prior to the delivery and I already noticed it since day 1 I took it home.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2021, 03:13 PM   #7
YuicyYumboYack
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: the speed limit

Yes, this happens to me as well every once in awhile.

Hard to tell if there's a pattern to when it happens, but I've noticed it generally occurs after a really short drive.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2021, 12:32 PM   #8
cantgobak
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by YuicyYumboYack View Post

Hard to tell if there's a pattern to when it happens, but I've noticed it generally occurs after a really short drive.
Quote:

This is unbelievable and frankly frustrating with a 70k car? I would think an already 3 year old G05 model should be extremely reliable with these really BASIC features. This intermittent "no beep alerts" just happened again two days ago, then my wife took it to car wash yesterday and then it came back alerting again when I drove this morning. C'mon BMW!!! This really isn't what I would expect from YOU!!! I also have intermittent problem memory seat lost too which I posted in another thread!
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2021, 12:53 PM   #9
YuicyYumboYack
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: the speed limit

Quote:
Quote:

This is unbelievable and frankly frustrating with a 70k car? I would think an already 3 year old G05 model should be extremely reliable with these really BASIC features. This intermittent "no beep alerts" just happened again two days ago, then my wife took it to car wash yesterday and then it came back alerting again when I drove this morning. C'mon BMW!!! This really isn't what I would expect from YOU!!! I also have intermittent problem memory seat lost too which I posted in another thread!
Yeah, can't say I disagree, but I've kind of just come to accept it. Cars are so complicated now that nothing is ever going to work 100% as intended all the time.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2021, 01:18 PM   #10
10101X5
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I tell you it's annoying as ****. It has happened more often now. I go into the garage the same way and there are tight enough spaces that should give me beeps. But now it's totally random. Sometimes no beep at all even when I get close to the wall. Sometimes I try to squeeze to get into a left turn lane and really depend on the beeps. Now I have to turn 360 on to make sure I still have space. It's pathetic on a vehicle this price range. To make it worse, it randomly resets features. I turn PDC off because sometimes it would apply when I back out the garage. Randomly it would turn on.

Quote:
Yeah, can't say I disagree, but I've kind of just come to accept it. Cars are so complicated now that nothing is ever going to work 100% as intended all the time.
Don't accept it man. Rant... rant! If they offer a feature, it has to work.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2021, 01:28 PM   #11
charlie fairmont
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: His & hers, GC & X5

I don't mean to thread-jack but I have somewhat related question about the frontal safety/parking features. When looking at the aerial view during parking, do you have a small gray rectangular deadzone in the pic, approximately equal to the size and placement of the front bumper? (Basically the front bumper is grayed-out.) It's the wife's car so I don't drive it regularly but I would have sworn there was no deadzone in the front last time I did drive it.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2021, 02:44 PM   #12
cantgobak
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I tell you it's annoying as ****. It has happened more often now. I go into the garage the same way and there are tight enough spaces that should give me beeps. But now it's totally random. Sometimes no beep at all even when I get close to the wall. Sometimes I try to squeeze to get into a left turn lane and really depend on the beeps. Now I have to turn 360 on to make sure I still have space. It's pathetic on a vehicle this price range. To make it worse, it randomly resets features. I turn PDC off because sometimes it would apply when I back out the garage. Randomly it would turn on.

Quote:
Quote:
If only rant get us anywhere I would rant all day just to get what I want or what I paid for!!! 😀 But this is absolutely ridiculous. I agree that vehicles now are high tech and complicated, but this beep alerts are really basic features and I don't consider this part of the high tech features. If I were BMW management, I would fire those who broke these basic features and the QA team!! After all, this is part of brand reputation. If they can't even do these basics well and reliably, how will customers have confidence in future advanced high tech vehicles from BMW. It really will shake my loyalty to really think hard and compare other brands before another BMW. Now I have to find and spend time bring in the car and HOPEFULLY they can replicate it. We all know how it goes, mice don't come out when cats are around… 🤣
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2021, 03:28 PM   #13
cantgobak
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie fairmont View Post
I don't mean to thread-jack but I have somewhat related question about the frontal safety/parking features. When looking at the aerial view during parking, do you have a small gray rectangular deadzone in the pic, approximately equal to the size and placement of the front bumper? (Basically the front bumper is grayed-out.) It's the wife's car so I don't drive it regularly but I would have sworn there was no deadzone in the front last time I did drive it.
Quote:
Maybe provide a picture of what you are referring to?
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2021, 05:12 PM   #14
charlie fairmont
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: His & hers, GC & X5

Quote:
The grey deadzone right where the front bumper should be...is that normal?
Attached Images

Last edited by charlie fairmont; 12-02-2021 at 05:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2021, 03:58 PM   #15
cantgobak
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Thanks for the pic. Mine has the same 'dead zone's well…. If others have it also, I guess it's 'normal'… never noticed it until you mentioned it though…. Not a big deal to me..
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2021, 05:23 PM   #16
JimVR4
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 M50i M-Sport

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Thanks for the pic. Mine has the same 'dead zone's well…. If others have it also, I guess it's 'normal'… never noticed it until you mentioned it though…. Not a big deal to me..
it's normal