BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

06-18-2019, 01:37 PM   #1
nakamuru
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: mazda3, vw passat, suzuki vita

X1 or X3 to haul travel camper?

I think both can haul around 3.5k (not sure) but would it create lot of problems if purchasing a camper that is like 2.5k lbs?

I was thinking a luxury car hauling a truck camper is bad idea (considering volvo as well). And think Jeep or something is more suitable to haul something like this

Just the fact BMW has highest maintenance cost , I'm wondering it's bad choice and risk to haul this on the back. If anyone uses there car to haul a camper please chime in.

Just think transmission might get lot of pressure and break down. Using the camper just on weekends (with radius of under 100 miles)
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2019, 03:07 PM   #2
ShakyDog
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 3.0i Alpine White/Red

Towed my 2009 Polaris RZR S on a trailer with my 2008 X3. I think the transmission was not great when I got it used and it just got worse with towing. I would find a better vehicle more suited to towing if I were you. It got horrible gas mileage and just did not feel right towing. I am back to a truck with a frame. I am also towing a much heavier 2013 Jagged X.

Steve
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2019, 03:52 PM   #3
Joe240
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 C8 Corvette 1LT

Garage List
If looking new, you can get the X3 with the tow hitch installed (which I have). We towed a Toyota Carolla loaded full of stuff from IL to Florida. Averaged about 22 mpg there and back. Car acted like it wasn't towing anything, still pulled hard and cruised in 8th.

I had a 2017 X1 that I put a Reese tow hitch on, but then again I didn't tow really heavy with it. I'm sure it could tow 2.5k lbs, but it would struggle to do it more than the X3 M40i did.

It's recommended to have a vehicle that's heavier than the trailer. While both are heavier, the X3 would be the safer choice in this regards. Plus it sits a tad higher so the trailer can be more level. Plus the back end won't sag as much from the tongue weight. All play a roll in the safety factor of towing.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2019, 04:04 PM   #4
nakamuru
Lieutenant
Rep

as oppose to something like a jeep Cherokee that seems to fit the bill for these types of hauls.. is luxury suv's pretty much advised to leave it unattached. (even though occasionally you can haul like you did from il to florida). I might have to do this when the cars getting much older. But then again that might increase more issues. Hmm what to do. Possibility get truck and truck camper lol
Appreciate 1
Joe2402923.50
      06-19-2019, 08:36 PM   #5
The Libertine
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Porsche Macan

The X3
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2019, 08:15 AM   #6
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

Also curious if you are thinking new or used.

An older X1 when they still had the 3.0l turbo could be a consideration!
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2019, 12:33 PM   #7
GenXer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a bat out of hell.

Garage List
That is just one cute little camper. You could probably do it if you get a weight distribution hitch and friction sway control bar. It will significantly reduce fish tailing and reduce tongue weight which will dramatically improve your ride and handing. You will also need an automatic brake control module to prevent cooking your car's brake rotors. My camper is 6800 pounds dry weight so any BMW is out of the question. But according to this https://www.bmwofannapolis.com/bmw-x...-annapolis-md/ you can tow 3700 pounds but I would highly recommend a weight distribution hitch, sway control bar and brake controller.

Last edited by GenXer; 06-20-2019 at 02:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2019, 07:29 PM   #8
nakamuru
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenXer View Post
That is just one cute little camper. You could probably do it if you get a weight distribution hitch and friction sway control bar. It will significantly reduce fish tailing and reduce tongue weight which will dramatically improve your ride and handing. You will also need an automatic brake control module to prevent cooking your car's brake rotors. My camper is 6800 pounds dry weight so any BMW is out of the question. But according to this https://www.bmwofannapolis.com/bmw-x...-annapolis-md/ you can tow 3700 pounds but I would highly recommend a weight distribution hitch, sway control bar and brake controller.
I was thinking of doing this after putting lot of miles on the bmw. But is that even wise. Seems it will bring more issues to transmission. I haven't seen a bmw haul a camper but did see a volvo two days ago hauling one.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2019, 11:55 AM   #9
GenXer
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I would err on the side of caution and don't max out your towing capacity. Give yourself plenty of left over capacity for additional weight like propane, water, food etc. Just make sure your camper, equipment and passengers weight do not go above the GVWR of the car.

I think you should be fine with a G12RK -- just a bit over the limit

The model you're looking at is too heavy for an X1 to tow

Last edited by GenXer; 06-21-2019 at 12:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2019, 02:47 PM   #10
nakamuru
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenXer View Post
I would err on the side of caution and don't max out your towing capacity. Give yourself plenty of left over capacity for additional weight like propane, water, food etc. Just make sure your camper, equipment and passengers weight do not go above the GVWR of the car.

I think you should be fine with a G12RK -- just a bit over the limit

The model you're looking at is too heavy for an X1 to tow
x3 is what i'm aiming for so should be ok right? not planning on putting anything .. Just propane and water. Just wanna get out and see nature and eventually do work inside. As well as not drive too far.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2019, 03:08 PM   #11
GenXer
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nakamuru View Post
x3 is what i'm aiming for so should be ok right? not planning on putting anything .. Just propane and water. Just wanna get out and see nature and eventually do work inside. As well as not drive too far.
With Class III hitch

X3 can tow up to 1653 pounds on its own without electronic trailer brakes (per BMW manual)

With electronic trailer brakes it can tow up to 4409 pounds (per BMW manual)
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2019, 03:26 PM   #12
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

X3. A rear wheel biased vehicle will handle towing better than a front wheel biased vehicle. AWD will, of course, mitigate much of this but not all. The power is fine in either, it is the handling that is the issue.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2019, 08:22 PM   #13
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

Again want to know - new or used?
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2021, 04:05 PM   #14
anthocleod
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M328

The sure thing is both of them can haul a 3.5k camper. However, I would still go for the X3. I mean, it's a bit bigger than the X1, but it's still a compact crossover. I had a 2015 X3, 3.0i, and it had no issues with hauling a similar camper trailer. Besides all that, the car was feeling comfortable with that. I didn't feel like it was tough for her or something like that. As I sold both the vehicle and the camper, I have already bought a new X7, and I want to buy a new trailer. However, as you can understand I spent a lot of money on the car, so I'm looking for a used camper. I think I will take one of the campers described here https://crowoutdoors.com/best-used-t...or-under-5000/. They seem like some great deals.

Last edited by anthocleod; 11-30-2021 at 09:25 AM..
Appreciate 0